Opeth

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Alpha Centauri
Apparantly there wasn't any threads, and I DID search.

I know Deathblow is a huge fan, along with Victor Von Doom...as am I.

Anyone else?

Favourite album? Song? (If you can pick) Part? Lyric?

-AC

ChickinMeat
I do enjoy a bit of Opeth, its the vocals that get me though, sometimes i just cant put up with them.

Favourite song is probably Closure

Luciferia
Im just getting into Opeth. I bought Still Life a couple of weeks ago, its pretty good.

ChickinMeat
I only have 1 album, its called Orchid

Alpha Centauri
Vocals?

Mikael is one of the best, most beautiful voiced singers there is. Unless you're referring to the growling.

Although I like that.

-AC

Treehuggerjanie
i love opeth.i think the bits of acoustic guitar make them a bit different which is cool.yeah theyre great

Deathblow
I don't think I've ever been as deeply affected by any band as much as Opeth. Love them. Most amazing thing about them is how huge they sound. They're like the Beethoven of rock music. I listen to an Opeth album, and then I can't listen to anything else for hours, because it will just sound tiny and insignificant by comparison.

As for favorite album, it's always been the first one, Orchid. Although Still Life and My Arms Your Hearse are still both in my top 20 albums.

Favorite song...three way tie between Face of Melinda, Dirge For November and Black Rose Immortal (obviously). But I'd probably say Face of Melinda tips it slightly, but only because hearing the band play that live was just awe-inspiring.

Lyrics would be Face of Melinda again, it sounds like some kind of lost Shakespearian love poem.

Good call Al thumb up

loserib
looking forward to seeing the on the sound of the underground tour

Alpha Centauri
New album this year allegedly.

They are definately one of the few bands I'd put directly next to Tool. Absolutely love their music. I can't really pick a fav song but at the moment I'm really into Godhead's Lament. Just for how melodically perfect the chorus is, so epic. Although I love the guitar on Serenity Painted Death.

As you can tell that's my fav album by them.

-AC

Afro Cheese
I think they're good but I have a limited knowledge of their work. I have two of their albums though, Damnation and Deliverance.

Dr. Strangelove
Love them. Right behind Tool as favorite bands go.

I have Deliverance, Morningrise and My arms your hearse. My arms, your hearse is probably my favorite CD, while my favorite song is a tie betwen April Ethereal and by the pain i see in others.

Alpha Centauri
Get involved with Still Life also.

-AC

ChickinMeat
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri

Mikael is one of the best, most beautiful voiced singers there is. Unless you're referring to the growling.

ooops, my bad! yeah i meant the growling.

nick1811
orchid is a great album, 'under the weeping moon is one of my favourite songs

Tptmanno1
(*bump*)

I completly blame Deathblow for Getting me addicted to them...

My personal Favorite is "Forest of October" off Orchid

nick1811
serenity painted death and masters apprentices are two all time classics.

damnation was a stroke of genius

Tptmanno1
I need to get Damnation
but when I went to get it it was 18 bucks and Orchid was 11 or 12...
so I got Orchid.

Ronny
I just got into them like 3 months ago maybe stick out tongue I love them. i seriously short on change so i did download a couple songs, Deliverance and Circle of Tyrants. They really seem to know what theyre doing big grin

Deathblow
Originally posted by Tptmanno1
(*bump*)

I completly blame Deathblow for Getting me addicted to them...

My personal Favorite is "Forest of October" off Orchid

I apologise for my rockingly contagious musical taste embarrasment

I haven't listened to them for like two months now, I'm Opeth fasting. Give it two more weeks and I should be ready to have another religious experience in a darkened room with Orchid, a bean bag and a sweet, sweet herb-like substance.

Originally posted by Ronny
They really seem to know what theyre doing big grin

Ladies and gentleman, it gives me great honor to present the award for Understatement Of The Decade to our very own Miss Ronald happy

Ronny
touched I'd like to thank my KMC family, I couldn't have done this with out you! WORLD PEACE! *sob*

SlipknoT
I havent heard much by them, but as Losrib said I'm looking forward to seeing them at Sounds of the Underground.

RagnaViper
Most recent band I got into. Took them on advice from a good friend and bam: they're on the top twenty list for me.

From what I've heard so far, their best album is Blackwater Park.

SlipknoT
I like that song By the Pain I see in Others, and I've been listening to them more and more By the advice of You guys But to be honest I think you're over rating them.

RagnaViper
Originally posted by SlipknoT
I like that song By the Pain I see in Others, and I've been listening to them more and more By the advice of You guys But to be honest I think you're over rating them.

Honestly, Opeth is a *really* acquired taste so that makes sense. I don't necessarily think we are overrating them by any means, unless someone just came in and said: "OPETH IS THE BEST BAND IN THE WORLD". I can think of quite a few bands off the top of my head that are better than Opeth. They're definitely a very talented band though.

Alpha Centauri
Well considering that they are one of the best bands in the world, depending on criteria, possibly THE best, I don't think it'd be overrating them.

Most to all of the music on Still Life is beyond a percentage of musicians in the high 90's.

-AC

RagnaViper
Well considering that they are one of the best bands in the world, depending on criteria, possibly THE best, I don't think it'd be overrating them.

Most to all of the music on Still Life is beyond a percentage of musicians in the high 90's.

-AC

As I said before, there are many bands that are better than Opeth.

Tptmanno1
Musicly, There are just a FEW bands I've heard that are on par with them.
among them, Porcupine Tree and Tool,
I love it, they all know and credit each other...

Deathblow
And who told the world about Porcupine Tree? cool

Enough bragging already...

I'd say Opeth are undoubtedly the best band in the world, but in terms of quality musicianship, Tool are definitely level with them, and after listening to their new album, I'd say Dredg are pretty damn close as well. And Porcupine Tree obviously.

Tptmanno1
*Smacks*

RagnaViper
Originally posted by Deathblow

I'd say Opeth are undoubtedly the best band in the world, but in terms of quality musicianship, Tool are definitely level with them, and after listening to their new album, I'd say Dredg are pretty damn close as well. And Porcupine Tree obviously.

Are you speaking in terms of talent/skill here or how much you like them? I'm sorry, but Rush is much more talented than anyone you mentioned.

Victor Von Doom
Can't think of anyone to touch Rush, I must agree.

Deathblow
Originally posted by RagnaViper
Are you speaking in terms of talent/skill here or how much you like them? I'm sorry, but Rush is much more talented than anyone you mentioned.

Both. And I disagree. It's also pointless arguing with me about that because there is no way I'm going to accept Rush as the most talented band ever. And seeing as I was talking about bands currently in existence, saying so in the first place was unnecessary.

Victor Von Doom
What do you mean by currently in existence?

Deathblow
Still producing original material.

I don't actually know whether Rush are still going, hasn't it been like 3 years since their last one?

RagnaViper

I don't actually know whether Rush are still going, hasn't it been like 3 years since their last one?

Well, it's been longer for Tool anyway. Plus, I never said Rush was the best band in the world. I'll take your point on being current though. Yeah, overall Tool is at least in the top 3 of the most talented bands right now.

Alpha Centauri

A) I'm guessing the band did smile. If you mean who introduced them to a few people on KMC, then that would be you. I'm part of the world though, and I don't count in this case.

B) Porcupine Tree are nowhere near any kind of Opeth or Tool level. Nor are Dredg.

Opeth and Tool are on a platform unreachable by most other bands besides Rush (technique being researchable and all that, they can probably be proven to be the most elite group of musicians). There's but one man who can claim to be above them.

Porcupine Tree are really good, really. That's it though. I'd say Dredg are better, but they're not Tool or Opeth.

Lateralus/Still Life Vs Anything most bands have ever done and we'll see who come out as the winners.

Not knocking your opinion, just saying mine.

-AC

Victor Von Doom

Three years, yeah. They're still current though, and that's more recent than a few other bands.

Victor Von Doom
Can we define what we mean by musicianship? If we are talking actual technical ability, Tool aren't ranked as highly as that. Opeth would be high, but then so would many other metal bands.

In terms of genuine technical skill, it's Rush, then perhaps Dream Theater.

Alpha Centauri
Speaking of Metal bands, Emperor are a band that I can safely say would be in the running for best.

-AC

Deathblow
A) I'm guessing the band did smile. If you mean who introduced them to a few people on KMC, then that would be you. I'm part of the world though, and I don't count in this case.

Yes that's what I meant. It wouldn't kill you to lighten up occasionally erm

Opeth and Tool are on a platform unreachable by most other bands besides Rush (technique being researchable and all that, they can probably be proven to be the most elite group of musicians). There's but one man who can claim to be above them.

Porcupine Tree are really good, really. That's it though. I'd say Dredg are better, but they're not Tool or Opeth.

Lateralus/Still Life Vs Anything most bands have ever done and we'll see who come out as the winners.

Not knocking your opinion, just saying mine.

-AC

I'm hardly going to disagree with that http://www.ebslive.com/forums/images/smilies/dunno.gif

Still it would take a lot of dissuasion for me not to class PT as one of the most talented groups around at the moment.

Dr. Strangelove
New album by Opeth "Ghost Reveries" will be coming out August 30. Haven't seen anything on the track listing but the cover is up.

http://www.opeth.com/frameset.html

Treehuggerjanie
opethopethopeth they are a waaay good band

Afro Cheese
I bought there album Orchid like a month ago and I'm really liking it.. I been keeping it in rotation practically all summer.

Tptmanno1
Orchid is really good..
Can't wait for the new album, Hopefully it will mean a US tour!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.