Does Han Solo fit in Star Wars?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

macgeek2005
This is a kind of odd topic, but I really don't think Han Solo belongs in Star Wars.

That's the main reason I like the PT better. Star Wars is about Jedi and Sith, about the Republic, the Clone Wars, the Jedi Temple, the Senate. The Tragedy of Anakin Skywalker.

Han Solo is just this random dude, who sticks his way up to the top of the cast list. It's really dumb.

Main Characters in the OT, and how they connect to the PT.

Ben Kenobi (Trainer of Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader)
Luke Skywalker (Son of Darth Vader)
Princess Leia (Twin Sister of Luke)
3PO (Droid built by Anakin Skywalker)
R2-D2 (well, he's there from the beginning, so is 3PO, so they're fine)
Darth Vader (Anakin Skywalker Twisted by the Dark Side)
Emperor Palpatine (Dark Lord of the Sith, the Bane of the Jedi)
Han Solo (???????????????????)

Darth_Janus
Well, the OT is not the prequels carried over 19 years, with no new add-ons. Han Solo was an interesting and worthwhile character to have in the originals. Thank God Lucas didn't have a baby Han in ROTS.

Gord
I like that han doesn't fit, that's what makes him so important. Without him, none of the crazy things would happen. He's saved everyone so many times, and he is the funniest part of the movies. Not having him in the PT made him more mysterious, I like the idea of showing where everyone came from but Georgie is kind of going overboard (baby greedo?) but I think han is a good contrast to the jedi and everyone that takes themselves too seriously

Darth Inanis
It depends on what you understand by "fit in". Han is unlike most of the Star Wars Characters but he is a part of Star Wars just like Luke. To say that he doesn't belong in the story is an insult. GL being the creator of Star Wars decides what Star Wars is. And if he decides there is going to be some weird space-jockey kind of guy in the story, than it shall be that way. There is no way denying the will of GL.

Ushgarak
In ANH he is a moral foil to Luke and fits in very well.

In ESB he is a developing hero in his own right and fits in very well.

In ROTJ... he doesn't have a very interesting part, frankly. Luke gets al the drama.

nutella-spatz
I like Han Solo. And I think it is a good part, that he doesn't exactly fits in the whole scheme.
That'S life, that you meet ppl, that are different. This shows that this film is supposed to be more realistic, that everything doesn't just fit together, but there are exceptions and you can't put everything in some structure.
I think, it is a good thing, he is in IV, V and VI, but better it is, that he is not in I and II.

exanda kane
Han Solo was the opposite of Luke and their friction was what made the OT characters so memorable, and I think that this is what the PT misses, a character like Han Solo who does give a sense of reality, so where not just lost in a world of magic knights and makes us feel that their is depth to the SW universe, like ordinary people.
It was probably a character like Solo that attached people to SW the first time round, a welcome break from a silver spandex wearing flash gordon.

DCLXVI
Han Solo saved Luke's candy-@ss in ANH, so you better apologize, macgeek! stick out tongue
J/k

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.