Question On Organisms

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

HockeyHorror
i have a question...

is there an animal that lives on land but doesn't move?

Berlin
I only know of marine animals tha do not move

bader40
Oh c'mon is this the best you can do?

Berlin
Mealworms in a pupa stage do not move but are not dead http://www.valdosta.edu/~kabuchan/imageGL0.JPG

Berlin
Eeek! worms messed

HockeyHorror
no i knew that about the mealworms in that certain stage, but im talking about a land animal that NEVER moves but its still survives...

my teacher asked us this question but i think its a trick question.

Darth Revan
I was going to say a butterfly in the chrysalis stage, but they do move eventually... Hmm... Well, there are things like monerans and a few types of protists that live on land and never move, 'course, those aren't true animals... Huh... No idea...

Darth Revan
Queen ants and termites hardly move... Once they've reached that stage of life... Then you have dead things which are technically organisms... Maybe if that was the wording your teacher used it'd work--"organism" instead of "living"... Dammit Hock you're driving me crazy!

HockeyHorror
damn sad i still think this is a trick question.

HockeyHorror
DR> lol

!!!!!

i cant find an answer! i been thinkin hard. sad

"Name an animal that lives on land but NEVER moves"

!!!!

Darth Revan
What was the exact wording your teacher used? And did he/she actually say there was a land animal that didn't move?

HockeyHorror
I GOT IT!!!!

i think my answer is right!

Barnacles- they live on cemented rocks and NEVER move. they live near ocean shore but im sure they never move.

SlipknoT
or coral

HockeyHorror
true^

SlipknoT
wait never mind those organizams live in the water

HockeyHorror
not always^

i think

Darth Revan
No.. They need water or they'll dry out and die... erm

And coral always lives in water

HockeyHorror
DAMN!

yea but barnacles need water to survive, they dont live in water...they just live near the water hmmm

ima ask my teacher.

Darth Revan
yes... It might work, depending on what his/her definition of "land" animal is.

KidRock
wow i thought the title of this thread said something elseeee but it says ORGANISMS not umm ::runs out of thread::

HockeyHorror
LMAO

Myth
I too misread the title. Damn.

HockeyHorror
lol

Fallen Jedi
wow, i read the title of this thread and for a second there i thougt it said orgasims. stick out tongue

Evy_O
Well, one of the conditions of being an organism IS movement... Therefore, per definition, it can't be messed But I'm not sure.

laughing out loud ermm... Me too embarrasment stick out tongue

HockeyHorror
laughing out loud

Tptmanno1
Well when a Man loves a women very much, they find a special way to express their love...

Awww Crap!!

Still I think your teacher is messing with you!

HockeyHorror
laughing out loud

Eclipse
That does not move.....Well if I were in grade 6 still I would know the answer cause we did organisms then...

Fire
I doubt there is such an animal HH

Darth Revan
I agree with Fire. I truly do not believe there is a true "animal" that dwells on land and does not ever move. There are other things, like some types of monerans and fungus-like protists, but no animals. I'm curious to see what your teacher says, though.

HockeyHorror
well today in class we didn't have time to discuss but tommorow he will give us the answer...

i still think its a trick question

SK88728
laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud

i miss read the title, it kinda confused me. i thought it said orgasims. and i'm like 'why would someone even post about that?!' but it's organisims. wow, blonde moment...

laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud

Godshinto
That's an easy one it's a form of Plant it's the Venus Fly Trap it's said to have a certain intellegence it can never move but it can kill.

MCElite
their a seven things an organism must do to be classified as living
Move, respire, resond to stimulii, grow, reproduce, excrete and survive on nutrients if it doesnt do one of these things its not classified as alive thats what ive been taught but my biology teachers a bit of a mong ..... all things move though it may just be the cells inside them so we cant see teh movement .

Kaleanae
Has to be an animal? right?

HockeyHorror
yes it has to be an animal...and i believe Venus Fly Trap are classified as plants.

the teacher will give us answer tommrowo

maybe sad

Kaleanae
Arrrg, I should have asked my AP bio teacher .. oh, well erm

Kaleanae
Class Maxillopoda
No more than 11 trunk appendages. First pair of trunk appendages modified as maxillipeds.
Order Cirripedia Barnacles. SESSILE parasitic and free-living crustacea. Body enclosed in bivalved caraace. Antennae reduced or absent.
OOOOHhh, this one is marine messed

HockeyHorror
hmmm

Godshinto
The Venus Fly Trap has been classified depending on the species as an animal. It has all of the classifications of a living organisims

HockeyHorror
Godshinto> we asked him if it was a venus fly trap,he just said "your on the right track, but its not a type of plant"

so i dunno

HockeyHorror
and great sig man.

Godshinto
Thanx for the compliment I am one of the origional sig creators here. As for it not being a type of plant what about a Mexican Jumping Bean. Although that's kind of redundant.

HockeyHorror
i dont think thats valid

well we asked him today but he just changed to subject sad

tommorow he has to answer the question!

Darth Revan
No... Like I said, I can think of a million consumers that live on land and don't move, but he said "animal"... and if it's not a true animal I'll be very disappointed sad

Darth Revan
no... confused there are just three things: It must be made of cells, respond to stimuli (both external stimuli and internal stimuli count), and be able to reproduce on its own

Like plants are living but they don't move, nor do they breathe, nor do they genarate fecal matter, nor do they survive on true "nutrients"

To be considered an animal, an organism must be:
1. Eukaryotic (having cell nuclei)
2. A consumer (consumes other organisms for energy rather than using sunlight)
3. Multicellular
4. Posessing free movement (growing, as with a plant doesn't count as free movement, nor does the type of movement a Venus fly trap is capable of--basically it has to be able to get up and move around)
5. Not posessing cell walls

Venus fly traps are plants. They meet all of the criteria for being plants. The only thing unusual about them is that they can digest other organisms for food. However, they can still produce their own food, making them plants. That and the fact that you can actually see them move, but as I said before, it still doesn't count as free movement since they can't pick up and move to a different place if they run out of resources where they are.

DJMissPinkie
Erm well that was just my limited view of biology .... being wrong.

OK so those where the 7 main characteristics i learnt you r probably right i just wanted to point out plants do move - they grow towards the sun (free movement), respire doesnt mean breathe it is the action of releasing energy from food which a plant does (photosynthesis) and they do survive on nutrients (if i could be bothered i could find out which ones but just too lazy) which they take up from the soil.

But your probably right about the classifying of an animal thing my biolagy teachers a complete prat soooooo my biology knoledge aint that great.

Darth Revan
Well I know different people use different systems of classification so...

beaujay1
i think i heard of this huge fungi plant thats even bigger than the Blue whale, and it's all spred out, somewhere in Europe. I think its like a mile big or so(it's all connected), but it is a living organism, and it definitely doesn't move, and it's on land. i think that may be it!!!!

Darth Revan
It's not an animal though

And if fungi counted well... There are thousands of answers

HockeyHorror
no fungi is not considered an Animal. Its an organism. i think i should have changed teh thread title to Question on Animals

mors823
Got it!
My brother. All he does is sit on his fat a** all day.
Does that count?

Darth Revan
no expression

Kaleanae
So what was the answer to the question? which terrestial animal is sessile? no expression

HockeyHorror
well we asked my teacher...but he said he will give the answer right after we learn Chapter 29...

no expression

Kaleanae
I want to know sad

Darth Revan
Which chapter are you in now...?

I don't like your teacher no

Kaleanae
We used a book called Introduction to Biology, right now, we're studying about Immune Response
We have less than 4 chapters left to finish the book

Darth Revan
I was talking to Hockey, silly stick out tongue

HockeyHorror
laughing out loud

one student in my class asked him "Which chapter are we currently on?" he said between 25-29.

????????????????????????

okaaaaaayyyy

the class is really hard. the entire sophmore class only has 21 kids in that class. Im one of them sad laughing out loud

dont worry ill get an answer soon

i hope

Darth Revan
You better... 'Cause if you don't... *cracks knuckles threateningly*

Kaleanae
oops embarrasment

HockeyHorror
DR> o crap *runs*

laughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.