Why is Anakin named Vader

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Leog14
I just wondered where does the name Vader come from. I'm sure we'll figure it out in EPIII but for now what do you think besides that Sidious gave him this name.

Mist
dont we have a thread on this? but read the book or wait for the movie.

astrofan428
I dont remember the book saying why, I thought he just says Darth....waits....Vader.

Maybe I am wrong, I read the damn thing in a day.

Leog14
what book?

Mist
bah..i wouldnt know, i havent read it....i just assumed sidious said why....and it would be in the book..

bILLYgOAT
Originally posted by Mist
dont we have a thread on this?

guess what
it would take less time to answer the guys question as opposed to publicly humiliating the guy

just a fucin thought u *******

BUT HEY
maybe u don't really know the answer to his question, and u decided to respond with hostility.
Pathetic

Leog14
We'll anyobdy want to make any research about it or is this too big of a question.

LightSaber_Part
Well, I would Like to know yes

Leog14
me 2. Any suggestions. Like his named spelled backwards or is skywalker's opposite vader, the name of a car, anything so we could figure this out.

Leog14
by the way off topic, whould a CGI vader or cartoon vader be cool

rubber dickie
vader is swedish for father...

i think that just added to the confusion. dontknow

bILLYgOAT
VADER
he evaded the Jedis power of seeing the future and destroyed them

bilb
Originally posted by bILLYgOAT
guess what
it would take less time to answer the guys question as opposed to publicly humiliating the guy

BUT HEY
maybe u don't really know the answer to his question, and u decided to respond with hostility.
Pathetic

Well perhaps had you been following the Ep 3 section for a while now rather than being some friggin fair weathered friend who only shows up for playoffs rather than supporting the team thru the whole season you might realize that there have been probably half a dozen threads on this VERY topic. If the search function is not something you enjoy using, as I have heard it may not be as effective as we might like.. PM someone who has been here a while. We are more than happy to answer questions but get sick & tired of seeing threads on the same topics over & over...

kashmircat
Originally posted by rubber dickie
vader is swedish for father...

i think that just added to the confusion. dontknow

i remember reading in some article somewhere that darth vader is supposed to sound like 'dark father' so you might be right

darth_achilles
this has already been discussed and been confirmed darth vader is in fact swedish for dark father

SuperFooB
When sidious is taking him as his apprentice he says something along the lines of "you shall be Darth...*and then he pauses or something like that and the force tells him something* Vader." Been a while since I finished the Ep. III book but I'm pretty sure that's how it goes.

Dart Saber
Vader is some black dragon from the star wars universe that rose from the ashes...

rubber dickie
Originally posted by kashmircat
i remember reading in some article somewhere that darth vader is supposed to sound like 'dark father' so you might be right

daijobuu woo hoo! who's your vader!?! dader

adamrubin
what about sidious what does sidious mean

Captain REX
guess what

BUT HEY
Pathetic

Watch it Billy. Hostility doesn't combat hostility, just makes more.

tlbauerle
"You shall be Darth...................................................uh..........................................Vader, yeah...that's it"

Gee...well at least its not arbitrary.

bILLYgOAT
Originally posted by bilb
Well perhaps had you been following the Ep 3 section for a while now rather than being some friggin fair weathered friend who only shows up for playoffs rather than supporting the team thru the whole season you might realize that there have been probably half a dozen threads on this VERY topic. If the search function is not something you enjoy using, as I have heard it may not be as effective as we might like.. PM someone who has been here a while. We are more than happy to answer questions but get sick & tired of seeing threads on the same topics over & over...

edit

bILLYgOAT
Originally posted by Captain REX
Watch it Billy. Hostility doesn't combat hostility, just makes more.
point taken m8

I'll cool the flame

Bilb I'm sry and I love u really wink

Mist
Originally posted by bilb

yaay! intelligence has arrived! hug

and billygoat, if youd read my second post, you would have seen that i did not in fact know the answerno expression

Mist

Pathetic

no expression where abouts did i respond with hostility? show me, id like to know.

even if my post WAS hostile, it was nothing on yours.

bILLYgOAT
You were behaving like a pedantic coc sucker

is that clear enough?

bILLYgOAT
dont we have a thread on this? but read the book or wait for the movie.

exhibit a

Mist
not really...please quote me where i sounded like a pedantic coc sucker. did i reply with flamage? did i reply with childish insults?

bILLYgOAT
. did i reply with flamage?

what is flamage?
what does this new word mean?????????????

Leog14
ok, well swedish name or just a voice in sidious head then I'll see through when I watch the movie. And I don't care about the other threads on this topic, If I have a questions answer it or eat my left nut. Thanks.

Ken Kenobi
guess what

BUT HEY
Pathetic

Watch the member bashing, it seems to be your favorite pastime, so here's a warning for you.

Lazerlike42
Sidious means, well.... I'm not sure if this would spoil anything so....

Look up the word insidious.... seems to fit!

mephistodesigns
Originally posted by Leog14
ok, well swedish name or just a voice in sidious head then I'll see through when I watch the movie. And I don't care about the other threads on this topic, If I have a questions answer it or eat my left nut. Thanks.

laughing

Seriously, I understand JP being sick of the same threads over and over, but things happen so fast on here, its easy to lose track. i agree, just answer it so it can be closed and thats that. We shouldn't feel afraid to ask questions, then we'd be the Empire.... big grin

Mist
*plays imperial march theme*

shifty whats wrong with being bad....?

LIL-G
i heard that it was explained in the movie. dont read the books it basic b.s anyway

Gord
you guys are unbelievable. I'm sure palpatine knew the sweedish for father and that's why he named anakin that. roll eyes (sarcastic) I never understood why people get so offended if a topic already exists, but whatever

palpy_666
I don't believe anything has been confirmed for what "Darth" or "Vader" means. I don't care about Dutch, so here is my two sense.

"Darth" is short for "DARk lord of the siTH"... Don't bash me for my opinion.

I believe that a Sith is given a name which best fits there "style". For instance, Maul seems very vicious and brutal and would literally maul someone in battle.

Sidious is short for "insidious", I believe which means secretive or in the shadows-- something along those lines. Fits him pretty well if you take in account how he operates (especially seen in TPM).

Tyranus is latin or something-- but it basically is implying tyranny, or something along those lines. Somewhat fitting for Dooku. It fits his style. His choice of clothing is very military-ish.

Which brings me to Vader. I believe the term Vader is short of "INvader". Vader invades the Jedi temple, he invades upon the Seperatist gathering on Mustafar, he invades the rebel ship in IV, and he invades upon Hoth and Bespin in V (can't think of any other instances off the top of my head).

Sidious I believe is short for "INsidious" so why couldn't Vader be short for "INvader"?

Mist
yeah, pretty much what everyone keeps repeatingbig grin

why do people even need to know WHY they are named? its like....why is his name palpatine, not ovaltine? who cares?

vader is good. i like vader. lets just stick with his name, not worry about why he is named that.

Bubbapilot
Originally posted by palpy_666

"Darth" is short for "DARk lord of the siTH"... Don't bash me for my opinion.

I believe the term Vader is short of "INvader". Vader invades the Jedi temple, he invades upon the Seperatist gathering on Mustafar, he invades the rebel ship in IV, and he invades upon Hoth and Bespin in V (can't think of any other instances off the top of my head).

Sidious I believe is short for "INsidious" so why couldn't Vader be short for "INvader"?

I remember discussions back when the OT was really the OT and somewhere the whole Dark Father thing was announced. I have no idea if it was the Lucas who said this or just some good PR somewhere but it is always what I believed.

Now, while it is only an opinion and probably way off base, I think I like plapy's thoughts the best.

Lazerlike42
I had also thought years and years ago (probably 1999 but who knows) that the title of a Sith was made by taking a word and dropping the "In" of the front of it. It CERTAINLY works for INSidious and INVader. I dropped the idea with the introduction of Darth Maul and subsequently Darth Tyrannus because adding "In" to them makes no sense. However, I honestly think that Lucas originally did name Vader for INVader and Sidious or INSidious, and he just "sold out" for lack of a better term when he made the PT because Maul sounded cool, and after he did that he picked Tyannus because he'd already broken the mold and Tyrannus worked, so he said, "whatever."

In any case their is no doubt that the Sith's name has relevance when it coms to their personality. Darth Tyrannus is tyrannical, Darth Maul certainly looked and acted the part of a mauler, and Darth Sidious is COMPLETELY perfect for Insidious. Whether Vader is supposed to mean father or is shortened from Invader I don't know.... but it means one of the two.

jango fatt
Vader is Dutch for father

OB1-adobe
Originally posted by Leog14
I just wondered where does the name Vader come from. I'm sure we'll figure it out in EPIII but for now what do you think besides that Sidious gave him this name.

He drew it out of a Hat.

DARTH VADER Yippie!!!!

Awe. I got Darth Maul

mephistodesigns
Why does everyone keep posting these out-of-the-film explanations? Its pretty obvious where all the PT Sith names come from as far as their meaning in the English or Dutch or whatever languages. Just like its pretty freaking obvious why Grievous has his name.

THE QUESTION, PEOPLE!, IS WHY DOES PALPATINE NAME HIM VADER?
NOT why did LUCAS name him Vader. Jesus H. Christ on a tricycle people. Pay attention.

Lazerlike42
You're right mephistodesigns, but the problem is this:

It has to be assumed Sidious doesn't name Vader arbitrarily (it's not like the Pope). This conclusion leads to the idea that there is a method for naming a Sith. The discussions about adding an "In" onto the front of the word is about trying to figure out what the Sith tradition is. Perhaps it's the Sith tradition to take a word and drop "In" from it. Up until Maul (and subsequently Tyrannus), this worked fine. There was a wonderful "in-the-film" explanation. There isn't anymore. After Maul and Tyrannus, it comes across as very arbitrary. This presents the idea that there WAS an in-the-film explanation, the one we all want, but that Lucas DIDN'T CARE about the in-the-film explanation because he'd rather name a guy "something cool" like Darth Maul. In other words, he probably killed the in-the-film reasoning for his own out-of-film desires.

Furthermore, EVERY IN-THE-FILM REASON FOR EVERYTHING COMES FROM LUCAS' HEAD ANYWAYS!!!! doh

Vader wears the suit because he fell in a volcano. That's the in-the-film explanation. It came from George Lucas' brain though lol.... it isn't like history where it really happened!

ImperialPEZ
Ahem, when we were first introduced to the name Darth Sidious, it was in the same movie where we were introduced to the name Darth Maul. Your In- trick working years ago in-the-film is a farce. In the OT, Sidious was never referred to as Sidious.

Lazerlike42
Originally posted by ImperialPEZ
Ahem, when we were first introduced to the name Darth Sidious, it was in the same movie where we were introduced to the name Darth Maul. Your In- trick working years ago in-the-film is a farce. In the OT, Sidious was never referred to as Sidious.

Emperor Palpatine was known to be called Darth Sidious a LONG time ago, just like we all knew a LONG time ago Anakin became Vader by being killed in a lightsaber duel with Obi-wan on a volcano.... just because it was never in the movies it doesn't mean we didn't know it. It might not have been official canon or anything, but it was a name and very rarely if ever has any NAME from EU or from any other non-canonical sources been shown to be wrong by statements of Lucas or in film.

ImperialPEZ
Source?

p.s. you were the one saying that the names Vader and Sidious were "in-the-film".

Delta 62
Palpatine only went by his Sith name because he had to remain hidden until he was ready. He used Palpatine once he forged his Empire and the Jedi were slaughtered..he no longer had to hide.

ImperialPEZ
The point remains....Sidious was never used in a movie until TPM.

((The_Anomaly))
I really dont think his name means anything, originally im sure lucas just picked the name "vader" because it sounded cool. any kind of reference to anything else is 'after the fact' and was either put in EU to make vader sound like it has a point, or people looking to other languages for some kind of point. but I really dont think lucas had anything special in mind other then "darth vader" sounded menacing and cool.

kiadimundijedi
Palps pulls it out his ball sack... who cares it sounds great

ImperialPEZ
^^^agreed.

Lazerlike42
I don't have a source other than that I remember knowing this long before I even knew the PT had gotten the thumbs up for production. I'm sure, however, that someone here could provide one.

And when I speak about an in-the-film explanation, I don't mean one that is explicitly given in the film. I am referring to a reason that would exist were we to take the film as being fact rather than fiction, and also that can be dedeuced from the film. For example, Yoda says he has trained Jedi for 800 years.... in other words, he is over 800 years old. It is NEVER said that he is able to live so long because he is a different reason. However, to me that explanation is in-the-film, because it is an explanation that would work were the film to be real-life fact rather than fiction, and we can dedeuce it.... we can easily say, gee he is a different species that must be it. An out of film explanation, on the other hand, would be: George Lucas wanted to have Yoda be very wise and very old, and he says in an interview, "Yoda uses a special Jedi potion that keeps him alive."

Mist
blink i dont get itno expression

Lazerlike42
blink i dont get itno expression

Basically, I said the idea of Vader and Sidious coming from taking the words INVADER and INSIDIOUS and dropping the "IN"s was an explanation that was "in-the-film."

I had said the idea of deriving Sidious from insidious was in-the-film, and ImperialPEZ said it was not because the name Sidious is not in the film.

I was explaining in my last post that when I say in-the-film I don't mean something that is explicitly stated on-screen. What I mean is something that would go with the continuity of the film, so it would work if the film were real.

For example, even though it didn't happen, it would have been possible to have Vader's son be named Luke in Empire, but be named Eddie in ROTJ, because they are only movies and the people making them can change whatever they want. In real life, that would be impossible. So when I say in-the-film, I mean treating the film like it's real life.

So basically, my original point is that if the movie were real life, the idea that deriving a Sith name by dropping "In" would have been feasible when all we had were Vader and Sidious. Since we have Maul and Tyrannus now, that forumla is no longer in-the-film because if it were real life, it wouldn't work (Inmaul and Intyrannus aren't real words).

To cut to the chase, I think Lucas came up with the names Vader and Sidious when he did by taking Invader and Insidious and dropping the Ins. I think he had set that as the pattern of how things worked for the dark side. I think he then decided it was more important to have a cool sounding name like Maul than to have good continuity.

mephistodesigns
never happened dude. you're confused or something. Sidious as a name was a PT creation. Never existed before.

Sans_Fi
this leaves us to: In sweden, when they saw the scene of "I am your father" it should sound like "I am your Vader" a little gay, isnt it?

Anyway, George Lucas says, he called vader for Invader, as Insidious.

tlbauerle
Originally posted by Sans_Fi

Source?

Lazerlike42
Originally posted by Sans_Fi

I rememeber reading that. I am not sure what the source is but I remember reading it somewhere on KMC....

DeVi| D0do
KMC?!? well then it must be true... wink

Lazerlike42
lol well they listed the source wherever I read it

tlbauerle
He said...she said...

I SAY NIEN! DAS IST NICHT GENUG GUT!

ZEE EIND!!!

mephistodesigns
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
KMC?!? well then it must be true... wink

laughing

He usually gets his names from mythology and stuff. Qui-gon Jinn: Qui or Quidon is ghost in Japanese. And Jinn means Genie in some Arabic language. Dooku is something too, can't remember...what...it means. Read it recently though, but I've already forgotten. But then you get names like Greivous, Sidious, and Maul that are so blatently obvious its scary....its a very odd "system" he has.

ShadowKing
Jar-Jar was a derogatory term for a Japanese general in WWII

Yoda sounds like soda (hence all the Pepsi tie-ins!)

Anakin comes from the Latin, Anna and the King - meaning Broadway musical

Yousa guys getting too much for me geek

Batman316
Originally posted by mephistodesigns
never happened dude. you're confused or something. Sidious as a name was a PT creation. Never existed before.

Unfortuntely I always knew Sidious was Emperor Palpatine's Sith name long before anyone even mentioned TPM being made, or the OT being 'enhanced' and messed with. Just the same as I always knew Anakin would fall into lava after a fight with Obi...

Vader = Father

This whole Invader stuff is rubish. Vaders' name was a hint by GL of the future. (even if at the time he had no idea he would not only make the OT but the PT's as well.)
We all know how GL likes to leave hints right infront of us that nobody ever seems to notice. Then when ESB came out and Vader told luke that line, it would have been some nerd that was the first one to click and say (probably sweedish)

'damn it , it's true.... the man in the suit is the Dark Father. How did we not notice it already?' ok my sweedish is a little off <.<

Source- 27 years of Star Wars Myth and rumours

mephistodesigns
We all knew Sidious and the Emperor were the same person. The point is, THE NAME Sidious was not used before the PT's conception. If you claim to have heard it before, name your source. The knowing about the whole volcano thing is nothing, its in the ROTJ novel, and the Visual Dictionary which also said which limbs were robotic. So name your source on Sidious before the PT, and THEN I'll believe you. I've never come across it pre-PT and I read EVERYTHING that comes out about Star Wars.

Batman316
yes it was, but do I really care if you believe me?

nope

cause as already stated in previous posts I am not alone. The Emperor was Sidious before PT's conception. Darth Sidious trained Lord Vader. It could verywell have been on the back of the same action figure package that said Vader and Obi fought and Vader fell into the lava and was forced into the suit......

Ofcourse I remember all the "Anakin will not fall into lava" posts by you younglings who didn't believe us old fogies.

But as already stated

"Believe what you want"

TheAnimal
i thought the dutch word for vader meant father? maybe sidious named anakin that possibly cause padme's knocked up.

smoker4
Does this mean vader only pays for what he's eaten in a restaurant? smokin'

mephistodesigns
Originally posted by Batman316
yes it was, but do I really care if you believe me?

nope

cause as already stated in previous posts I am not alone. The Emperor was Sidious before PT's conception. Darth Sidious trained Lord Vader. It could verywell have been on the back of the same action figure package that said Vader and Obi fought and Vader fell into the lava and was forced into the suit......

Ofcourse I remember all the "Anakin will not fall into lava" posts by you younglings who didn't believe us old fogies.

But as already stated

"Believe what you want"

I know Sidious/Palps TRAINING Vader existed before the the PT existed, that's obvious, and EVERYONE knew about the volcano LONG before the prequels. As I said, ALL covered in the ROTJ novelization in 1983. What was never mentioned, and never used until the PT's conceptual phase in the mid-90's, was the saying of the NAME Sidious. So obviously Palps was Sidious, that was his Sith name, however, it was never used (because Lucas hadn't come up with it) until the PT's CONCEPTUAL PHASE (meaning concept art, early script treatments) in the MID 1990's. Sorry, you've obviously mixed something up. You no doubt heard it before you SAW TPM because it was mentioned in several magazines in the mid to late 90's as TPM was being made. You're talkin' to an insanely detail oriented fanatic here. Believe me, if you were right, I'd know. And...you're not. Where's Ush, he can normally sort this sort of thing out...

Lazerlike42
well so far it's 2-1....

mephistodesigns
that's because we're the only ones discussing it. Like I said, get Ush in here, he'll settle this because Ush actually knows how to research and prove his statements. Take me for example, I pointed out where everything you've said could be, and were some of it couldn't be because I know how to RESEARCH. All you have to do is name your source and I'lll shut up. I'll even apologize. But I'm so sure you can't, because it never happened, that I'm not too worried about it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.