Tuskan Raiders and Muslims

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DarkAge
Is there subtle racism in Attack of the Clones? In one scene Owen's father talks about the Tuskan Raiders, who are also known as "sand people" and who wear robes and cover their faces and never reveal them to anyone but their partner. Owen's father says "Those Tuskans walk like men but they're vicious, mindless monsters." Maybe it's just me. What do you think?

Darth_Janus
When I see a Tusken Raider run up to a Tattooine moisture farm and blow himself up along with the farm over his god, I'll look in to it.

yerssot
you're looking too deep into it...

but then of course, the empire is actually really about britain and the cowardish trade federation are thai... and then you haven't mentioned the brutal new zealanders who played the bounty hunters!

Darth_Janus
So what are the jawas then?

yerssot
they are the pygmees of course: short and no one understands their jibberish

Soda
lol if you've seen Team America there's a scene where they enter a bar just like the one in Mos Eisley in ep4 full of Iraqis but its exactly like the star wars bar even the same music

Darth_Janus
I have to see that now... lol

GCG
A Muslim is a practitioner of the Islamic religion......

Viscous Men and Midless monsters are found everywhere and can be Rapists, Peadophiles, Serial Killers and Terrorists.

Even the Jedi wear robes and cover their heads with its hood....
Today's Religious figures wear robes like priests and monks....

How the eff to you make a connection with Tusken raiders and Muslims i dont know. But this connection may spark up a religous and racial feud.

SpyCspider
please..let's not be ignorant to what can be easily seen as stereotypes. The 70s and 80s weren't so PC like it is now. I have no doubt Lucas thought of nomads when he made the Tusken Raiders. It IS HOLLYWOOD afterall and to me he probably envisioned a group of nomads who lived in tents in the desert, bound themselves with cloth, act all beserk when they see outsiders, and GEE what does that tell you?? If that doens't make you think of the way Hollywood portrays Muslim people in the movies, you're just blowing hot air.

Similarly, there weren't any African Americans in Lord of the Rings....but you ask many people, they were the savage Urukai intent on killing the pure Caucasian (Elves, hobbits, men) race. I'm not going to pretend that that people didn't think of that idea.

Darth_Janus
I didn't. I thought all the black people in LotR saw the Orcs and got the hell outta there.

"Screw this, honkey... I'm out!"

supercybergeek
the main thing is that the tuskens have no religion. And thats what mainly being muslim is, being religious.

Darth_Janus
Do we know they have no religion?

SpyCspider
tru....then I should rephrase that Hollywood depicted them as Middle-Eastern nomads...Arabic for instance...not Muslim.

Sorry.

Big Evil
The Jawa and Tusken Raiders may be terrorists but that just makes them even cooler. They flip out and kill people and try to gyp you out of credits when selling droids. (Never succesfuly I might add..)

They've been around from the start of the franschise so I doubt it was pruposly to perpetuate rascism. Besides, I have yet to see a Jawa taxi cab riding endlessly through the universe cursing at everyone lol..

Delta 62
Jawas are not even close to terrorists. They're cowardly desert scavengers. That was one of the stupidest things I've read in a while.

dAngEr_Is_gO!
I know it's not cannon, blah, blah, blah, but if you help out the Sand People in KOTOR their storyteller gives you an insight into their culture. Like many tribes in real life, one of the most valuable members in a Sand Person clan is the storyteller. He must keep an oral record of their tradition and recite it precisely or else he is killed. The storyteller in KOTOR tells you that Tatooine used to be a lush planet and the Tuskens were quite technologically advanced. Anyway the Tuskens got into a blue with either themselves or another race and during the war, space cruisers carpet bombed Tatooine and burnt away the vegetation. The survivors of this war abandoned technology, wrapped themselves in cloth and scratched out a living on what was left of their homeworld.
I haven't played KOTOR in a while, so I may be slightly inaccurate with the facts, but that is how I think it goes.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.