British Election Poll

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

eleveninches
Who do you want to win??

Alpha Centauri
Voted Labour.

-AC

Clovie
voted other.
i have no idea about british politics.

eleveninches
Voted libdem for local councellor and for local MP

MildPossession
I voted Liberal Democrats today.

lil bitchiness
Lib Dems.

My goal was to get Tony Blair out of the Downing street. The lying ****head!

Fionnuala
Lib Dems..as long as Tony Blair and Labour aren't in power...they lied and somebody should make them account for what they did..

Alpha Centauri
Bit silly.

While they did lie, they lied about something that involved, in hindsight, another country. Yes it was wrong, but at the end of the day Labour have done lots of good things. Why sacrifice having an even shitter person than Blair running our country, purely because Blair lied about something on the otherside of the world? Surely you should be judging by what he's actually done with England.

If Conservatives got in power anyone earning less than 50K a year would get screwed.

Lib Dems don't have a chance, so it's surely better to vote for the lesser of the two evils. Coz it's clearly gonna be Labour or Conservative.

-AC

MildPossession
I would rather have Labour in again than Conservatives, Lib Dems will never get in though.

Fionnuala
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Bit silly.

While they did lie, they lied about something that involved, in hindsight, another country. Yes it was wrong, but at the end of the day Labour have done lots of good things. Why sacrifice having an even shitter person than Blair running our country, purely because Blair lied about something on the otherside of the world? Surely you should be judging by what he's actually done with England.

If Conservatives got in power anyone earning less than 50K a year would get screwed.

Lib Dems don't have a chance, so it's surely better to vote for the lesser of the two evils. Coz it's clearly gonna be Labour or Conservative.

-AC

i was trying to explain that too someone this morning...thanks happy

Alpha Centauri
That's why I'm saying that realistically, it's either going to be Labour or Conservative, right? Clearly.

So why not, in that knowledge, vote to keep the lesser evil in? I feel the same about the "war" as most people on this board and yes it's a shit that he lied, but in hindsight it was something that happened across the world. I'm more concerned about how this actual country will be run. So if it's Blair Vs Howard, guess what?

-AC

Bardock42
Hahah...and because of that attitude only one of the two can win.......poor lib democrats ...have better people better ideas but get screwed by a two party system.

Alpha Centauri
If they had better ideas and better people I'm sure they'd be in with more of a chance.

Call me crazy but I'm not willing to take a gamble with how this country is run. I'm not gonna put someone in who might be decent when there's someone who has done good things with England already in the running.

-AC

Fionnuala
That's why I'm saying that realistically, it's either going to be Labour or Conservative, right? Clearly.

So why not, in that knowledge, vote to keep the lesser evil in? I feel the same about the "war" as most people on this board and yes it's a shit that he lied, but in hindsight it was something that happened across the world. I'm more concerned about how this actual country will be run. So if it's Blair Vs Howard, guess what?

-AC

i guess..and Blair supposed to resign soon so maybe they'll get a better leader..becuase it was mostly Blair that lied rather than the government..

i don't understand why the lib dems won't get in though..i mean almost everybody wants them to get in power but nobody seems to vote..

Alpha Centauri
Well there you go then.

I don't think "almost" everyone want them in power, or it wouldn't be between two parties.

The point is, people are being motivated to hate Blair coz he lied, which he did and yes he was wrong. That was what the problem was with Bush/Kerry though. They all focused on the Iraq situation instead of who was gonna do a better job with the country, which is of course the purpose of elections.

So while it's between Blair and Howard, I thought about who would be better to run this country and to be honest, I'd rather have Blair than Howard.

-AC

Bardock42

lil bitchiness

IceWithin
voted conservatives, cuz i thought it'd be funny, but Liberal Democrats ALL the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alpha Centauri
That's all very well and good but as long as it's a two horse race here, I'm not gonna throw my vote away for a party that I KNOW aren't gonna get elected.

-AC

Bardock42
Well I totally understand your reasoning....and thats your right and everything....I just don't agree.

lil bitchiness
That's all very well and good but as long as it's a two horse race here, I'm not gonna throw my vote away for a party that I KNOW aren't gonna get elected.

-AC

Thats subjective - I didn't throw my vote away, because I voted for something I believed in - even if they do not get elected, i know that next time Blair does something shitty - i know hes not doing it in my name.

Fionnuala
i think it would be good it Britain had the voting system that means every vote counts...rather than if you don't vote for the winning party your vote doesn't count..

Well there you go then.

I don't think "almost" everyone want them in power, or it wouldn't be between two parties.

The point is, people are being motivated to hate Blair coz he lied, which he did and yes he was wrong. That was what the problem was with Bush/Kerry though. They all focused on the Iraq situation instead of who was gonna do a better job with the country, which is of course the purpose of elections.

So while it's between Blair and Howard, I thought about who would be better to run this country and to be honest, I'd rather have Blair than Howard.

-AC
i definatly prefer Labour's policies to the Tories ones....they seem to basing their campaign on stirring up hate against Tony Blair as if he'll still be in power when they win...and like you said they should be concetrating more on persauding people they'll create a better Britain..it's ridicolous really..

shaber

Lana
I just have to comment on that -- that's about $35,000. Uni is SO much cheaper in Britain compared to the US -- here 4 years costs a LOT more. By the time I'll have gotten my bachelor's degree, I'll have shelled out probably close to $80,000, a lot of which will be loans that I'll have to pay back. And I'll be continuing on to get my Master's degree, and possibly a doctorate.

They just cut education funding here as well mad

But anyway, my point is that the average US college grad is usually in debt nearly twice that much, some much more so if they go on to grad school or get a doctorate. My aunts are both doctors, they got their medical degrees 15 years ago, and are STILL paying back loans.

Alpha Centauri

smoker4
This election comes down to the lesser of two evils, as much as i distrust blair, i distrust howard even more and a vote for lib dems is basically helping the tories, in an ideal world i would vote for the green party sad

Bardock42

Lana

shaber

Lana

Bardock42
Yeah probably...could be right....yes per semester, total....well of course they have to pay for their living but except for that.

shaber
So that's the tuition fee total and you don't get any grant for buying books or renting accomodation?

lil bitchiness
-The Lies about the war and the soldiers losing their lives has nothing to do with how this country is internally run.

-Didn't lie to me, really. Coz I'm sure me and anyone smart enough knew he was BSing. So it's irrelevent. More to the point, why are you dwelling on something that happened across the world? Yes it was bad, I'm with you there but that's not go anything to do with how our country is run.

-Before this war, hardly anyone had that view of him. As soon as that lie came out, he's all of a sudden lied about everything he's ever said and done? Strange rationale there. Like I said, I'm with you on Iraq view, and yeah he's a liar but I'm not concerned about that when it comes to internal workings of England. It's about who can do that better. Blair or Howard? Coz it IS out of them unless you wanna throw your vote away.

-Conservatives getting into power means that, to quote a friend of mine "Rich people have to pay their cleaners less." So if you wanna talk about screwing the public...

-So are many others. What's your point?

-Somehow I knew it'd come down to Bush. What you've gotta realise is relevance. Who out of the realistic winners of this election, will do better with the country? Blair....or Howard?

-AC

Lies about iraq - if he lied blatantly about iraq, he can blatantly do so about running of this country.

Besides, its my political outview on the collective bit of this country - wehter Blair lied to you personaly or not is of absolutely no interest or relevance to me.

Just because the rest of the world loves to be around nuclear weapons, does not mean many people ehre do too.

Poor people will never get the chance for university - nuff said.

Bardock42
Originally posted by shaber
So that's the tuition fee total and you don't get any grant for buying books or renting accomodation?

I think they have cheaper housing, and I know they can eat pretty cheap in a cafeteria ...I'm not sure aboot books though

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Lies about iraq - if he lied blatantly about iraq, he can blatantly do so about running of this country.

Besides, its my political outview on the collective bit of this country - wehter Blair lied to you personaly or not is of absolutely no interest or relevance to me.

Just because the rest of the world loves to be around nuclear weapons, does not mean many people ehre do too.

Poor people will never get the chance for university - nuff said.

Well if you wanna make that connection that's up to you. I'm not going to. I agree with you that he COULD, I'm agreeing with you on most things concerning Blair, I just believe that out of the two realistic and potential winners, a vote for Blair is better.

I don't either. Nuclear war is a fear of mine, but here's what you gotta remember. If everyone had nukes, we'd be at the safest point in history. Why? Because who would bother to kick off a nuke war then? Everyone's got em. I'm not saying nukes are good, but they're inevitable. So I'm taking the best view I can out of a bad situation.

Neither will stupid people, that's just the way life goes. I'm not gonna put someone completely incapable into power just so someone poor can get into Uni.

-AC

WindDancer
-AC

Even thought I have a small knowledge of British politics I can see what AC is saying here. They did lie but then again What politician doesn't lie? Can anyone really say a politician is honest? Of course not. And why do people keep having the idea that a more radical party would make things better? Just because they don't agree and have a different view than the current government therefore are the better party? No, I don't think so. IMO The labor party is favorite to win because is the most popular and most like Tony Blair remains PM.

eleveninches
I actually would have supported the iraq war IF they had told the true reason for invading iraq, which was regime change.
I opposed it because they lied about the weapons.

I worked out that since only about 40% of people voted in the last election, and only about 40% of them voted for labour, then only about 15% of the country voted Tony blair into power last election.
That means that the goverment only needs the support of 15% of the population to win the election. It isnt really democracy if 75% of the country oppose the people in power

Ushgarak
"Poor people will never get the chance for university - nuff said."

Total lie.

Unlike Blair, who never lied in the way you make out.

This is the basic problem with the electorate- it lacks sufficient ability to discern.

But I voted Tory after all, because... frankly the local Labour candidate is terrible, and Whittingdale is a case of 'better the devil you know'.

I also abhor the idea of voting for the Lib Dems simply because you do not like Labour- their policies are in such mealy-mouthed disarry, I am absolutely convinced that people would not vote for them if they actually had a chance in hell of getting into Government. They are simply getting a protest vote.

Filth
Unforunatly I am one of those people who would vote Monster Raving Looney Party for the pure f**k of it.

dave123

-AC It's that kind of thinking that makes it a 2 horse race.

This year it may mean nothing, but it will encourage others to move away from the main 2 yes

Alpha Centauri
Well when Lib Dems show me they've got what it takes to make it anything other than a two horse race, I'll consider them.

-AC

dave123
Labour's already won this, that I know...

But you still shouldn't follow the crowd no If you believe your vote won't make a difference, why bother voting for one of the big 2?

Fire
Originally posted by Ushgarak
"Poor people will never get the chance for university - nuff said."

Total lie.

Unlike Blair, who never lied in the way you make out.

This is the basic problem with the electorate- it lacks sufficient ability to discern.

But I voted Tory after all, because... frankly the local Labour candidate is terrible, and Whittingdale is a case of 'better the devil you know'.

I also abhor the idea of voting for the Lib Dems simply because you do not like Labour- their policies are in such mealy-mouthed disarry, I am absolutely convinced that people would not vote for them if they actually had a chance in hell of getting into Government. They are simply getting a protest vote.

I don't really now much about the liberal democrats so I can't give a very good opinion on them, but I doubt they are a worse party to give a protest vote to than the party that gets them in Belgium.

shaber
My dad once spoke highly of Casale the local Labour candidate...

Grand Moff Gav
well that poll didnt effect anyone

eleveninches
Its not right.

Labour won about 5 times as many seats as the lib-dems.
But, the breakdown of the votes showed:
Labour = 36 % of votes
Lib Dems = 22% of votes

it's not right.

I blame maggie thatcher, as she realised that she could get a lot more seats for just a few more voters n key areas of the countries, so she changed the boundries of the constituancies so that she would be much more likely to win.

shaber
Indeed... shouldn't the party with 36% of the vote get only 36% of the seats...?

Fishy
That would be the best system...

eleveninches
That isnt how it works in this country.
some seats have tens of thousands of voters, some only have a few hundred.

shaber
we know

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.