why not LUKE LARS???

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jedi fernando

ToMacco
Well, after the fall of the republic, Obi-wan and Yoda starting drinking a lot. So their judgement wasn't what it once was.

Ushgarak
Well, this is all part of that general mystery, isn't it? I mean, on the surface of it, how crap a place is Tatooine to hide Luke?

jedi fernando

yerssot
well, Shmi is in her grave there, so a reason not to come back?

ToMacco
They probably wern't trying to hide him.

yerssot
but then they had the chance Vader seduced him to the dark side of the force too, excapt if he was too lazy to teach him

Ronch_Jedi
Well maybe they wanted Luke to know that his parents died or that "Luke Skywalker" sounds so much better that other stupid name

yerssot
or Skywalker is just as Antilles a common name in the galaxy...

Ronch_Jedi
But "Skywalker", doesn't that just give a ring to the ears

LanceWindu
Yeah it does.

But I think that the original name for Luke was better.

Luke Starkiller

yerssot
The Killer of Stars... cover your butt Hayden! you're going down!

Captain REX
The Death to Stars, the Star Death. Destroys stars instead of planets.

yerssot
for only 1.95 in your Happy Meal big grin

Julie
No Luke Lars because that sounds stupid big grin

LanceWindu
So does Skywalker when you think about it. But you're used to it and it grew on you.

yerssot
every name grows on you

LanceWindu
Eventually.

LaurenE147
I think To is right and they were just drinking a lot to hide Luke on his dad's home planet and to give him the same last night. If this was real life then Luke definitely would've been found. But then in this movie teeny tiny green guys can kick the butt of a big ass scar guy like Dooku.

Bespin Bart
yes, that's true.

Corran
Yoda is cool - size matters not!

yerssot
in some cases it does!

Corran
Oh, Right. OK sad

Julie
I think Luke Skywalker is more inventive than Luke Starkiller

finti
indeed and Starkiller is somewhat a negative name, hence the killer part

yerssot
that name got burried a long time ago

Julie
...in a galaxy far far away. evil face

Captain REX
On a backwater planet called Tatooine. wink

master harmax
Simple reason : ANH was made back in 77 ... Lucas didn't have the WHOOOOOLLLLE story down to the exact details ..... he didn't know he'd be filming episodes 1 and 2 two whole decades later ... leave alone that ... he didn't even know if he would be filming episode 5 ... therefore at that point, I doubt he had thought of details like why they would name him "Skywalker" AND put him on Tattoine ... because that doesn't make logical sense ... if they were trying to hide him from Vader, they couldn't have done a worse job. Point being, when you're trying to thread together a storyline that's as long and involved as this one, with a gap of 20 years in between making movies, sometimes you'll encounter these kinda bloopers .... Luke Skywalker obviously sounded a lot better than Luke Lars in 77 ...

Julie
wow in depth analysis.....way to deep

Dark Lord Djas
In the books Owen was actually Obi-Wan's brother but I don't know why it would be Luke Skywalker instead of some fake name. I might check into that.

queeq
Maybe because that's his name....

It's a bit odd though, I agree. Why hide your son from the universe's most evil man and still name him after him? But this kinda thing happens when you make up a story as you go.

finti
Its a movie thats why

queeq
Ah.... really?

finti
it is , belive me

queeq
I never thought that.

finti
well now you know,....... wanna discuss the bible too

queeq
Always.

finti
well it is a fairytale too

queeq
I must disagree there.

Maikahyandowen
maybe he just went to Skywalker after his aunt and uncle died.he might have gone by Lars in the first place. he never says his full name until he rescues leia.

mephistodesigns
maybe they just figured Anakin wouldn't want to ever go to Tatooine again with all his bad memories (which is why I still think he ordered the murder of Beru and Owen) and that, added to the fact that Luke lives in the friggin' boondocks on a backwater planet, his name would never leave his area. But the main reason I think they didn't change it was because they hoped he'd redeem the name one day and restore its honor.

Maikahyandowen
Vader probably did not order their deaths. the stormtroopers could figure that one out on their own, if they weren't being cooperative or whatever. the music for that part's soo sad.

mephistodesigns
But isn't that a little over the top? I mean the Empire has to somewhat monitor their PR to make sure they have enough people on they're side to keep from losing power. But I guess it could just be Rampart division Stormtroopers.

VengeanceGOD
The Stormtroopers were under orders to exterminate anyone who had any contact with the plans, I'd bet. Owen and Beru were just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Maikahyandowen
i'm pretty much under the impression that the Empire never cared much about public relations. Vader routinely killed his officers and destroyed planets. PR reallly isn't that important to them.

Dirty Vader
The sandtroopers killed the Lars and the jawas on their own free will. Stormtroopers act on their own. They just like shooting people who get into their way.

Even though this aint canon, read the Tales of the Mos Eisley Cantina, it tells you exactly what happened to the Lars and the Jawas. Its the stormtrooper Tale.

Dirty Vader
Its a great EU book.

mephistodesigns
They destroyed ONE planet under the guise of stopping terrorism (sound familiar?) when really its just establishing control. I think Vengeance made the best comment there, that was simple, effective, and totally makes sense.
Dirty, sorry man, they follow orders. And in that instance, it was a guy personally sent by Vader (which was on film) and as such, would very closely monitor his team so as not to piss off the Dark Lord. It makes much more sense that they're just cleaning up their trail.

yerssot
oh no, it's not vengeance, it's fear wink
"Fear will keep the local systems in line,
Fear for this battlestation"

VengeanceGOD

He was saying my name. As in Vengeance, me, had the best comment here. Not that they were striking in vengeance. wink

Maikahyandowen
haha. maybe he just went by skywalker because it sounds so much more dramatic than Lars. " I"m Luke Lars, i'm here to rescue you!"

finti
Luke Lars, sounds like a Danish bakerman,
"Hey I am Luke Lars and I am here to rescue you, do you want a danish roll"

yerssot
"No, I already have two against my ears"

finti
great laughing out loud you got it straight on Yersie big grinbig grinbig grin

Maikahyandowen
nice. laughing out loud laughing rolling on floor laughing

amity75
For all we know "Skywalker" is the star wars galaxy equivalent of "Smith" or "Jones" and there are billions of people with that name.

VengeanceGOD
haha. There's yearly "Luke Skywalker" conventions. smile

Maikahyandowen
really.........

VengeanceGOD
No, that was a joke. See, they have yearly "John Smith" conventions 'cause it's such a popular name. So I was playing off of amity's theory of Skywalker being a really popular name....

never mind. It wasn't THAT amusing.

mephistodesigns
no it certainly wasn't. wink

VengeanceGOD
It was late and I was tired. Bugger off. smile

Maikahyandowen
bugger.......... that's a fun word. i think i'll use it.

amity75
"Bugger" is a great word and quite unusual for an American to say. My favourite word is "Jobbie" but thats for another forum! Back to the topic!

yerssot
back ON topic please

Maikahyandowen
subject...........right! lars is a dorky name. hence the switch to Skywalker. has a nice " i'm here to save you" ring to it, doesn't it?

hana_skywalker

Maikahyandowen
he didn't remember his mother, remember? and skywalker would be a very conspicuous name to have if Darth Vader is looking for you, so Padme probably didn't use it. and Luke had no idea about his parentage so he wouldn't care if he used it. or maybe he iddn't like his uncle enough to use his name! who knows?!

hana_skywalker
But Darth Vader would probably NEVER go to Tatooine again, as it brings him such bad memories... And we're not sure if he knew he had a son. It was risky that Luke kept his original surname, but I think he would be safe on Tatooine.

Maikahyandowen
sure he was safe, that's why he was put there in the first place. except he didn't know he NEEDED to be safe. that's why he went parading around with the cool name of Skywalker.

roundisfunny
Remember, too, that the best hiding place is atop the mantel (something like that). As it's been noted, a Skywalker on Tattooine wouldn't necessarily raise an eyebrow; after all, Shmi had parents, and she could just as easily have had brothers and sisters. Luke could have a dozen cousins.

Vader might have had his troops scour the Skywalker clan on Tattooine once or twice during Luke's childhood (if Tarkin were to allow such expenditures of time and manpower), but even then, he might not have thought to include the Lars farm in that investigation.

Since the tragedy of his mother's death accompanied his first meeting with the Lars family, and he left indefinitely soon thereafter, there's no reason their farm would be foremost on his mind when it came to potential hiding spots.

Besides, he's been too busy in the intervening years attending to Imperial business to devote that much time to looking for his kids; plus, he knows that their paths will eventually cross anyway (the Force works in mysterious ways).

yerssot
well, it can always the plan of Ben that Vader DID find out wink

Maikahyandowen
but not until Luke was ready for him. jsut like he didn't tell Luke that Vader was his father, because when he did, Luke didn't want to kill him.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.