Jack Johnson

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ou Be Low hoo
You couldn't find a more chilled, mellow and smooth singer-songwriter if you stuck your finger in a pot of honey and smothered it all over a peeled orange. The guy is cool.

His tunes are perfect for the summer - especially BBQs or for chillin round a beach bonfire. Also, if you surf, his music is the perfect after-surf slow-down...

Anyways, I just got his new album, 'In Between Dreams' and after one listen I love it.

His style doesn't really change between albums, but that doesn't matter because what he does, he does well.

Favorite tunes? I've got a few...

Bushfire Campfires - Inaudible Melodies
On And On - Times Like These
In Between Dreams - Banana Pancakes

Also, 'If I Could' has some beautiful lyrics:

I heard some words
from a friend on the phone
that didnt sound so good
The doctor gave him two weeks to live
Id give him more if I could

Anyway, anyone else diggin it?

tabby999
indeed, i voted for On And On, one of the best cds i've heard in a long time

Tptmanno1
I hate him with a passion.....

Ou Be Low hoo
Originally posted by Tptmanno1
I hate him with a passion.....

Not angry and whiny enough for you?

Darth Revan
No, just generally too crappy. Tpt (like myself) listens to plenty of music that isn't annoying teenage nu metal.

Ou Be Low hoo
Originally posted by Darth Revan
No, just generally too crappy. Tpt (like myself) listens to plenty of music that isn't annoying teenage nu metal.

...Said the 'Nine Inch Nails' fan.

koolruningz
We can finaly agree on something Ou Be. big grin
I really like Jack, his music fits in with the New Zealand life style and on a hot summers day i usually play one of his albums as we drive down to the beach.

Darth Revan

Df02
1 of his albums was on in the background when i was having sex with a girl who happened to be a fan of his... and oh dear god did it put me off... never lasted that long in my life, the album played thru twice

koolruningz
^ You should probably purchase one of his albums for such encounters in the future, sounds like it has the same affect as cocaine. laughing

Tptmanno1
Originally posted by Ou Be Low hoo
Not angry and whiny enough for you?
No the lyrics are shallow and unamaginative and the guitar playing is mediocre at best,
the lack of style or anything that resembles talent is what puts me off.

O and don't make judgments simply because of our sigs. or whatever. I don't Listen to whiny music, my music is deep, intracite and intelligent.

Still don't belive me? Download a song Called "Trains" by Porcupine Tree, Like Jack johnson, but way better.

StinkFist462

what does NIN have anything to do with it ?

Darth Revan
No the lyrics are shallow and unamaginative and the guitar playing is mediocre at best,

O and don't make judgments simply because of our sigs. or whatever. I don't Listen to whiny music, my music is deep, intracite and intelligent.

Still don't belive me? Download a song Called "Trains" by Porcupine Tree, Like Jack johnson, but way better.

I disagree... The fact that "Trains" is acoustic doesn't make it like Jack Johnson stylistically. Though Porcupine Tree are by far one of the most talented bands of the past fifteen years.

Ou Be Low hoo

Darth Revan
That's exactly my point. I was only pointing out what you were doing by claiming I must only listen to whiney/angry music based on the fact that I listen to NIN.

This is a little off-topic, but I seem to remember fairly clearly you coming into the music forum a month or so ago, talking in a barely coherent language about various rappers. One of whom was Jay-Z.

Ou Be Low hoo

"And there has always been laughing, crying, birth, and dying
Boys and girls with hearts that take and give and break
And heal and grow and recreate and raise and nurture
But then hurt from time to time like these
And times like those
And what will be will be
And so it goes" - Times Like These

Simple, poetic lyrics are not shallow just because they are simple and poetic. Sometimes, the world is not as complicated as it appears to be. His lyrics reflect this ethos.

Intricate and fancy guitar-work does not impress me, but a good tune does. Part of his popularity is due to the fact that friends can recreate his tunes on their own guitars on a beach somewhere...Also, have you heard of a song called 'Redemption Song'? It's by a guy called Bob Marley and it's probably one of the greatest acoustic tunes of all time...the guitar playing is nothing special, just simple and a great tune.

His style is laid-back and chilled. His talent lies in his simple, poetic and heart-felt tunes that don't scream:

the hopes and prays
the better days
the far aways
forget it

and:

the clouds will part and the sky cracks open
and god himself will reach his ****ing arm
through
just to push you down
just to hold you down
stuck in this hole with the shit and the piss
and it's hard to believe it could come down to this
back at the beginning
sinking
spinning

^ Ooo, how nice!

As for you liking 'deep, intracite (intricate) and intelligent' music...Good for you! I too like intelligent music, but a good tune and some real feelings go a long way. Plus Jack Johnson is a surfer, so I naturally feel an affinity.

Tptmanno1
so I can't spell, sue me...
Ohh look I can quote Lyrics too!

Wear your grudge like a crown of negativity.
Calculate what we will or will not tolerate.
Desperate to control all and everything.
Unable to forgive your scarlet lettermen.

Clutch it like a cornerstone. Otherwise it all comes down.
Justify denials and grip it to the lonesome end.
Terrified of being wrong. Ultimatum prison cell.

Saturn ascends, choose one or ten. Hang on or be humbled again.

Justify denials and grip it to the lonesome end.
Saturn ascends, comes round again.
Saturn ascends, the one, the ten. Ignorant to the damage done.

Wear your grudge like a crown of negativity.
Calculate what you will or will not tolerate.
Desperate to control all and everything.
Unable to forgive your scarlet lettermen.

Wear the grudge like a crown. Desperate to control.
Unable to forgive. And we're sinking deeper.

Defining, confining, sinking deeper. Controlling, defining, and we're sinking deeper.

Saturn comes back around to show you everything
Let's you choose what you will not see and then
Drags you down like a stone or lifts you up again
Spits you out like a child, light and innocent.

Saturn comes back around. Lifts you up like a child or
Drags you down like a stone to
Consume you till you choose to let this go.
Choose to let this go.

Give away the stone. Let the oceans take and transmutate this cold and fated anchor.
Give away the stone. Let the waters kiss and transmutate these leaden grudges into gold.

Let go.

oh boy!
Simplicity is boring, I want something I can't replicate easily. That lends to respect and a much more deeper understanding of the music and what kinda effort went into it. I don't wanna listen to some guy who got stoned and ****ed around on the guitar. I wanna listen to someone who put real effort into his music.

DR: the first thing that struck me when I heard trains was that it was like Jack Johnson but better, now I can tell that its buch different, in different content and stylistic, but it would not be a reach to say someone who likes Jack Johnson, would like that, and hopefully use it to branch off into better music.

Ou Be Low hoo
That's exactly my point. I was only pointing out what you were doing by claiming I must only listen to whiney/angry music based on the fact that I listen to NIN.

It was a little dig. I find NIN dull and 'crappy', so I was merely mirroring your response.

Yo, G...Dat kat was dis kat, yo. I like feelin' shit and expressamekatin myself in many mofo ways...If I find maself listen-up to all kinds of hip-hop shit all day long, I start going a little mental, yo. Is all. Peas.

Darth Revan
"And there has always been laughing, crying, birth, and dying
Boys and girls with hearts that take and give and break
And heal and grow and recreate and raise and nurture
But then hurt from time to time like these
And times like those
And what will be will be
And so it goes" - Times Like These

Simple, poetic lyrics are not shallow just because they are simple and poetic. Sometimes, the world is not as complicated as it appears to be. His lyrics reflect this ethos.

Intricate and fancy guitar-work does not impress me, but a good tune does. Part of his popularity is due to the fact that friends can recreate his tunes on their own guitars on a beach somewhere...Also, have you heard of a song called 'Redemption Song'? It's by a guy called Bob Marley and it's probably one of the greatest acoustic tunes of all time...the guitar playing is nothing special, just simple and a great tune.

His style is laid-back and chilled. His talent lies in his simple, poetic and heart-felt tunes that don't scream:

the hopes and prays
the better days
the far aways
forget it

and:

the clouds will part and the sky cracks open
and god himself will reach his ****ing arm
through
just to push you down
just to hold you down
stuck in this hole with the shit and the piss
and it's hard to believe it could come down to this
back at the beginning
sinking
spinning

^ Ooo, how nice!

As for you liking 'deep, intracite (intricate) and intelligent' music...Good for you! I too like intelligent music, but a good tune and some real feelings go a long way. Plus Jack Johnson is a surfer, so I naturally feel an affinity.

For Christ sake, you'd think a so-called philosopher could pull a better post out of his ass. To start with, how do you even know that Tpt IS a NIN fan from this thread? roll eyes (sarcastic) I'm the one with Trent Reznor in my avatar.

Second, I love how you obviously took the most angry sounding verse from a song I'm sure you've never heard, and completely failed at a non existant attempt to understand the actual message. Use of the "f word" does not render lyrics unintelligible or stupid.

Third, nobody is claiming Trent Reznor is a great lyricist. He's slightly above average at best. Hell, YOU'RE the one who brought this up in the first place, like I said, without prior knowledge of Tpt even being a fan of his.

There's simple music and then there's boring music. Our friend Jack Johnson is of the latter variety.

Darth Revan
It was a little dig. I find NIN dull and 'crappy', so I was merely mirroring your response.

Yo, G...Dat kat was dis kat, yo. I like feelin' shit and expressamekatin myself in many mofo ways...If I find maself listen-up to all kinds of hip-hop shit all day long, I start going a little mental, yo. Is all. Peas.

As for the first part... If we're going to split hairs here, I'll point out that the purpose of my original post was in defense of Tpt's musical taste. My second post in response to one of yours stated, in short, that you can't judge a person's entire range of said taste based on one band. A concept which you cleverly "discovered" in what you seemed to have thought was a comeback to my post, when it was merely restating what I'd said.

Second part: Yeah, you just keep doing that... confused

Ou Be Low hoo
Ohh look I can quote Lyrics too!

I fell asleep after the 4th time the lyrcis we're telling me to be angry...

If that's how you like your apples, then good for you! Go make some cider...

Complicated musical arrangements paradoxically don't mean that there is deeper musical understanding. Merely, it shows the preference of an individual's musical taste. It has nothing to do with effort. I find that a good tune requires inspiration, whereas the intricateness that you are describing requires perspiration. I prefer inspiration, myself...I guess you like man-sweat. That's cool...Each to their own...

Tptmanno1
Thanks for proving my point...
You misinterpreted the lyrics, If you understood them you'd understand that the first half is sarcasm, while the latter half, and in the song the more passionate half is about letting it go...

What you call so eloquently as "man-sweat" I call quality.
If you like Pre-packaged MTV McBand's then so be it...

Ou Be Low hoo
Thanks for proving my point...
You misinterpreted the lyrics, If you understood them you'd understand that the first half is sarcasm, while the latter half, and in the song the more passionate half is about letting it go...

Ohh...I thought it was the other way round! Passion first, sarcasm second!

I'll match your 'man-sweat' and raise you 'indifference'. I like the term 'MTV McBands' that you use...It's ironic, or something...

Ou Be Low hoo
For Christ sake, you'd think a so-called philosopher could pull a better post out of his ass.

Adventures in obscurity?

Adventures in futility?

Adventures in boredom?

AHA! An adventure in ignorance. A place you know and love...

Darth Revan
How cute. Actually, that's not ignorance, that's an opinion. Your asinine attempt at understanding poetry is more ignorant.

jaden101
zzzzzZZZZZZZZZZ

Ou Be Low hoo
How cute. Actually, that's not ignorance, that's an opinion. Your asinine attempt at understanding poetry is more ignorant.

Your opinion stinks like that ass-of-mine(say it 2 times fast) you'rE always going on about.

Is there anyone out there who actually likes Jack Johnson other than me, koolruningz and that dude with a fish in his hair?

Tptmanno1
Oh and a bunch of stoned teenagers,
What great company...

Ou Be Low hoo
What great company...

WOW...Are you a plurality? I didn't know you were stoned, but I had guessed you are teenager...

koolruningz
What great company...

Cheers mate. sad

Afro Cheese
I've heard his name before but never heard any of his music.

Darth Revan
WOW...Are you a plurality? I didn't know you were stoned, but I had guessed you are teenager...

Err... Tpt was saying exactly the opposite of that. That the people on the opposite end of the Jack Johnson-fandom spectrum from him are mostly stoned teenagers. Probably not true, but you still completely failed to understand what he meant.

koolruningz
That the people on the opposite end of the Jack Johnson-fandom spectrum from him are mostly stoned teenagers. Probably not true

Definitely not true.

Tptmanno1
Meh, Where I come from there is a direct corralation between amount of pot smoked, and amount of positive feeling towards Jack Johnson

Ou Be Low hoo
Err... Tpt was saying exactly the opposite of that. That the people on the opposite end of the Jack Johnson-fandom spectrum from him are mostly stoned teenagers. Probably not true, but you still completely failed to understand what he meant.

Oh really? Your right. What he said was way over my head. I'm pleased to see that you didn't get confused at all with what I said...

I didn't know that your ass smoked pot! At least it has good taste in music...

Afro Cheese...Despite what Tweedle Darth and Tweedle Tpt say, Jack Johnson's tunes are chilled-out, relaxed and perfect for the summer. Just try it, you might like it...

Darth Revan
Nobody's claiming Jack Johnson's music isn't chilled out and relaxed, just that we don't like it.

Ou Be Low hoo
Nobody's claiming Jack Johnson's music isn't chilled out and relaxed, just that we don't like it.

You are a strange, beautiful flower.

Sometimes I like some power in my tunes, but when I don't, I listen to Jack...It's drifty, floaty and light...Perfect for chillin' to.

Darth Revan
I listen to chilled-out music too, Mr. Johnson just isn't to my liking. Incubus and Sublime are two of my favorite bands, and if you don't know who they are, you don't deserve to. wink

Imaginary
Is there anyone out there who actually likes Jack Johnson other than me, koolruningz and that dude with a fish in his hair?

Yes.

koolruningz
I listen to chilled-out music too, Mr. Johnson just isn't to my liking. Incubus and Sublime are two of my favorite bands, and if you don't know who they are, you don't deserve to. wink

Incubus are great. thumb up
I can understand why some people dont like Jack but i definitely wouldnt group him with the mindless artists that occupy most of MTV's air time. His songs to me are heartfelt and honest. He lives in Hawaii and surfs all day, obviously his music is going to reflect his lifestyle.

Afro Cheese
Is he newer music or older music?

koolruningz
He's a reasonably new artist, I heard about him 3yrs ago.

Ou Be Low hoo

I was listening to Sublime when Bradley was still alive, so of course I'm down with them. Incubus are OK, I like 'Pardon Me', 'Drive' and a couple of tracks from 'Morning View', but I wouldn't compare either band to Jack Johnson. Sure, they're pretty chilled from time to time, but they also go punky and funky too...

Jack Johnson's albums all sound pretty similar. I just find it's the perfect 'down-time' music when you just want to chill on your porch with a beer and reflect, or slow it down on a beach with friends.

tabby999
or get stoned and think about nothing with a few mates, some beer and a clear night sky. its awsome

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Listen up, fools...Shh...This is on the down-low, ya know? Anyway, if you're into acoustic, chilled tunes be sure to check out anything by The Beautiful Girls. They're a bunch of surfers from Oz and they do what Jack does, but they mix it with a little Ben Harper-vibe - and even a little acoustic Sublime!...Soooooooo mofo good, it melts you...

Tunes to check...'Music', 'Freedome (Part 2)', 'Periscopes', 'Blackbird' and...Oh, fvckdisshit! Check 'em all. Wurd.

koolruningz
Thanks for the heads up Ou Be.

Bardock42
Hmm I don't ind Jack Johnsion...as you said chilled Music...nothing special though....

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Sometimes life is special because it is simple...wake, eat, laugh, work, sleep, etc...Jacky boy's music reflects this simplicity...Same goes for 'The Beautiful Girls'. They write charming, simple songs.

Ruzzhead
hey guys. i think that jack johnson really brings out the meaning of music, both with his lyrics and the rhythm patters in his music...

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Yeah, Maaaan! I love those 'patters'...What's a 'patter'?

mmmmoley

LoL - yeah!!

I love Jack Johnson - I get fed-up listening to KoRn (thats just an example, 1st thing that popped in my head) when i'm in a crappy mood + just end up wanting to break things! But jack johnson kinda makes things OK embarrasment) lol

i like breakdown - that came on when i was really crappy n having a breakdown (ha), and i listened (and cried) through it, and in the end it works out alright! i love him!!

all his albums are great me thinks but had 2 pick in between dreams as its my most listened too at the mo big grin

mmmmoley
Originally posted by tabby999
or get stoned and think about nothing with a few mates, some beer and a clear night sky. its awsome

yeah, thats also the best time 4 a bit of jack johnson - chillin out with a doobie & a few maties big grin

nice one dude

smokin'

Tired Hiker
Sorry, but I can't stand Jack Johnson. Everytime I hear him, I automatically think, 'god I hate Dave Mathews'.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Good job for posting in this thread then...

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Jack Johnson has just released a new album with some of his friends for the 'Curious George' movie that is coming out. The tunes are as you woulod expect: sweet, smooth and laid-back.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Stupid internet...

Here's the cover:

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Here's a track Jack performed with Ben Harper on MTV Last Call. It's not available on any CDs, so you kids are welcome to it:

http://download.yousendit.com/606ADD171090F0F9

It's a cover of Bob 'The Marley' Marley's 'High Tide Or Low Tide'. Sweet.

jaden101
great version...had it on my walkman for a while now...that and ben harper with rusted roots live version of the stones you cant always get what you want

i'll be seeing ben harper in july cause he's playing at t in the park...as is jose gonzalez, death cab for cutie, eels and a shed load of other cool acts...mixed in, unfortunately with a rather large dose of turd music like the arctic monkeys

Ya Krunk'd Floo
That sounds sweet. Let's hope you get some good weather...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.