why

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kip
why does the name for the clone troopers turn to storm troopers wondering i was hmmm

moviejunkie23
because they are no longer all clones????
And while making the original trilogy Lucas didn;t have the term "Clone Troopers"

Kip
interested i am hehehe i love talking like yoda

macgeek2005
They are still clones. Of course. Why wouldn't they be.

Ken Kenobi
Originally posted by macgeek2005
They are still clones. Of course. Why wouldn't they be.

They are NOT all clones. Please look into interviews and other source material before trying to answer a question.

Kip
well i remember someone telling me the clones died out and Vader (Ani) enslaved new recruits

Darth_Janus
Stormtroopers are not clones anymore. The Clones were never designed to live that long. And besides, Stormtroopers is a better Nazi pun than Clone Troopers.

Delta51VE
Lucas disputes this in the AOTC commentary. He says right out that the stormtroopers are clones of Jango Fett. The EU stories of recruites do not "count" in the films.

TheAnimal
plus on the dvd trilogy lucas put morrisons voice in for the stormtroopers.

Morridini
How many times has this been talked about?
Yes, the Stormtroopers are clones, and let me see if I can find something posted here a while back...

Aah, yes found it. apparently this was from an issue of Star Wars Insider where someone asked this exact question:

The response goes into the usual "they didn't know they were going to be clones in the 70s" answer, and then says the interesting thing:
However, there is also an in-universe explanation, provided by none other than George Lucas himself. During the productions of Episode III, Lucas told crewmembers that the stormtroopers seen in Episode IV are made from multiple sources. That is, they're not all Jango clones. By that
time in the saga, other clone hosts have been selected.

Lucas intimated that the selection proces has become more political than strategic in some cases - a highly placed officer's cousin might be selected over a more capable specimen, for example. The politicization results in less-than-ideal candidates, which could explain some of the embarrasing marksmanship witnessed in the original trilogy.

kremzike
Originally posted by TheAnimal
plus on the dvd trilogy lucas put morrisons voice in for the stormtroopers.

That is not true. Lucas dubbed his voice in for Boba Fett. The voices of the Stormtroopers in the OT remain the same.

The Ones
no he didnt no expression

Darth_Nefarus
Okay, some of them might still be clones, but most of them aren't. Anyone can join the Imperial army or navy and become a stormtrooper.
The clone troopers is a bit more elite
this has been done before...

Captain REX
Originally posted by Morridini
How many times has this been talked about?
Yes, the Stormtroopers are clones, and let me see if I can find something posted here a while back...

Aah, yes found it. apparently this was from an issue of Star Wars Insider where someone asked this exact question:

The response goes into the usual "they didn't know they were going to be clones in the 70s" answer, and then says the interesting thing:
However, there is also an in-universe explanation, provided by none other than George Lucas himself. During the productions of Episode III, Lucas told crewmembers that the stormtroopers seen in Episode IV are made from multiple sources. That is, they're not all Jango clones. By that
time in the saga, other clone hosts have been selected.

Lucas intimated that the selection proces has become more political than strategic in some cases - a highly placed officer's cousin might be selected over a more capable specimen, for example. The politicization results in less-than-ideal candidates, which could explain some of the embarrasing marksmanship witnessed in the original trilogy.

Just stick with the man himself's explanation. No one knows Star Wars better than George. He could say that lightsabers are powered by large fruits and he'd be right.

Batman316
lightsabers are powered by large fruits

What's your source?

smoker4
Apple

SithKiller
I dont remember where and it wasnt SS...lol....but I did read that a large number of troopers are still clones...some arent ....but heres something to ponder...Leia in ANH said to Luke that he was a little short to be a stormtrooper......in other words most of them are all the same size ...thus most are clones....seems to make sense...unless there is a height requirement to be a stormtrooper?

mossman
Stormtroopers are all clones.
Period.
And stormtroopers is not a proper noun.
They are never refered to as "The Stormtroopers" in the movies.
The fact of the matter is, they are no longer "The Clone Army of the Republic" they have become Palpatine's "Stormtroopers".
It is descriptive of their role within the Empire, it is not "what they are called".
They are just troops.
Grunts.

And, before somebody brings it up, the Imperial Academy is for naval recruits only.

Darth_Janus
Originally posted by Captain REX
Just stick with the man himself's explanation. No one knows Star Wars better than George. He could say that lightsabers are powered by large fruits and he'd be right.

The attitude movie makers expect us to all have.

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Ken Kenobi
They are NOT all clones. Please look into interviews and other source material before trying to answer a question.

Sorry, Ken, but they are all clones- George Lucas confirmed that.

ShadowKing
re Mossman: Explains what it meant when Biggs and Luke talk about going into the Academy...in the EU wasn't Han Solo an Imperial Academy drop-out?

As far as Leia saying Luke was a little short for a Stormtrooper, I think it's because he's "only a kid" and would not have the adult build for the uniform...

JediStang
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Sorry, Ken, but they are all clones- George Lucas confirmed that.

Ok, fine, so since they have growth accelerators and grow twice as fast, they would have been about 20 at the time of AOTC. So 30 years later, they would be 80? Sure....

Alliance
While i love to be picky about continuities, it has been my opinon that this situation is unresolvable. I like top think that the AOTC clones are retired and new stupid untrained clones have implimented. I cant bear the thought of seeing the battle-machine clones associated with storntroopers.

Batman316
do the adult clone troopers still take the growth accelerators?

Darth Subjekt
I'd like to see where Lucas confirmed that ALL the stormtroopers are still clones. If that were the case then why would they all have different voices? He went back and changed Boba's voice, why not the rest of them? Ill tell you why, cause they're not all clones. And they don't take growth accelerators, they were given them at time of creation. So in 30 years of "life", they're already 60.
And if they're not "stormtroopers" then why are they referred to as such?

"only imperial stormtroopers...."
"aren't you a little short to be A stormtrooper?"

Also, in the PT, ALL positions and ranks were done with clones i.e. LT's CPT's, squad leaders, etc....but in the OT, there were all types of different people.....the AT-AT drivers, misc guys wearing the black outfits and green outfits....so why? MAYBE CAUSE THEY'RE NOT ALL CLONES! So if someone can post a link to where it confirms it, that would be great. Cause anyone can just type something up and say they copied and pasted it.

Otaku_Sith
Originally posted by Kip
interested i am hehehe i love talking like yoda
Yes,A perimeter you must form around survivors.Or something like that.

Morridini
Originally posted by Darth Subjekt
I'd like to see where Lucas confirmed that ALL the stormtroopers are still clones.

Look at page one in this thread, my post.

GCG
i too read that the Storm troopers were made up of Clones and other humans that enrolled themselves as tenants of the New Order

Gangularis
I'd like to see where Lucas confirmed that ALL the stormtroopers are still clones. If that were the case then why would they all have different voices? He went back and changed Boba's voice, why not the rest of them? Ill tell you why, cause they're not all clones. And they don't take growth accelerators, they were given them at time of creation. So in 30 years of "life", they're already 60.

Also, in the PT, ALL positions and ranks were done with clones i.e. LT's CPT's, squad leaders, etc....but in the OT, there were all types of different people.....the AT-AT drivers, misc guys wearing the black outfits and green outfits....so why? MAYBE CAUSE THEY'RE NOT ALL CLONES! So if someone can post a link to where it confirms it, that would be great. Cause anyone can just type something up and say they copied and pasted it.

you're not even listening, are you?

They are all clones.. it's just that they aren't all clones of the SAME PERSON by A New Hope. Thus the reason different stormtroopers have different voices. Good god, how hard is that to understand?? The people who drive the AT-AT's are not clones.. they're from the naval academy..

As far as why they're called stormtroopers and not clone troopers now.. i'm not sure, but i bet you could make up a reason for it and it would be just as good as any reason Darth Lucas.. i mean.. George Lucas would come up with.

Darth Subjekt
ok well thats just picking straws, when you hear clone troopers, most ppl think of the clones of jango. THATS the point i was trying to get to the bottom of. I could give two shits if theyre clones of Bail's nutsack, but no one really tried to specify who they were clones of, leading one to think they were still all from Jango which just isnt so.

And you dont have to try to be a smart ass either, i was seriously asking for somehting to show me that its been confirmed. And if they have a Naval Academy, why not an Army type where people can join and train to be foot soldiers, or rather, Stormtroopers....

Ushgarak
It's not picking straws really, is it? I don't know why there is this assumption that just because the stormtroopers are Clones they must be the same Clones as seen in the Clone Wars has come from. Obviously they would be later generation clones, and as GL has said, they are from different sources.

And so the fact remains- all Stormtroopers are Clones. it is not unresolveable- it is GL given fact.

The .hacker
But...Then how did...Forgive my stupidity...The clones go to the darkside instead of staying with the republic?

astrofan428
Originally posted by The .hacker
But...Then how did...Forgive my stupidity...The clones go to the darkside instead of staying with the republic?

They dont go to the darkside, they simply follow the orders of the Chancellor. When the republic becomes the empire, most people are happy, they dont think it is bad. They believe the jedi are bad.

The .hacker
God...I'm an idiot....

Kip
i didnt know it was gonna cause such a heated argument

Wanderer259
Not all stormtroopers are clones. Just some and not all are Jango clones.

Delta51VE
Originally posted by ShadowKing
re Mossman: Explains what it meant when Biggs and Luke talk about going into the Academy...in the EU wasn't Han Solo an Imperial Academy drop-out?

As far as Leia saying Luke was a little short for a Stormtrooper, I think it's because he's "only a kid" and would not have the adult build for the uniform...

Going to the academy doesn't mean going to become a Stormtrooper. In case you missed it, there were LOTS of Imperial Officers running around that WEREN'T Stormtroopers. You saw their faces. Remember?

Delta51VE
Originally posted by JediStang
Ok, fine, so since they have growth accelerators and grow twice as fast, they would have been about 20 at the time of AOTC. So 30 years later, they would be 80? Sure....

If you recall in AOTC, there are batches of clones being created continuously, if for no other reason than to replenish the casualties. It's highly doubtful that any of the troopers in ANH were around in AOTC, but they are clones nonetheless, just newer ones.

Delta51VE

Watch AOTC with Lucas' commentary. There, your proof you will find.

Delta51VE
Originally posted by GCG
i too read that the Storm troopers were made up of Clones and other humans that enrolled themselves as tenants of the New Order

EU. Lucas doesn't consider everything other authors have written to be something he has to hold up to when he makes his movies.

This has been LONG known.

Robin Darkside
If it isn;t written by lucas, then it doesn;t apply, Can someone please email George Lucas and ask if Stormtroopers are clones. or does someone know this from what Lucas said

Delta51VE
Originally posted by Robin Darkside
If it isn;t written by lucas, then it doesn;t apply, Can someone please email George Lucas and ask if Stormtroopers are clones. or does someone know this from what Lucas said

Watch AOTC with Lucas' commentary on. He says it plain as day. I believe it's in the scene where Jango is boarding his ship after fighting Obi-Wan on Kamino and bumps his head. Lucas comments how the stormtroopers in ANH are Jango's clones, and he made Jango bump his head like his later clone does in ANH as a tie-in.

Sheesh.

yerssot
are you sure? It could be that Ben Burt was talking on that moment about how he found yet another exciting sound for someone hitting the door roll eyes (sarcastic)

Delta51VE
Originally posted by yerssot
are you sure? It could be that Ben Burt was talking on that moment about how he found yet another exciting sound for someone hitting the door roll eyes (sarcastic)

How about you watch it yourself and then you tell me. It was Lucas, not Ben Burtt. The statement is pretty conclusive.

Obi-wan2005
how did this disscussion even get this far end it!

nazgūl-lord
Originally posted by Robin Darkside

ask supershadow since he's such a close friend of lucas stick out tongue

Darth Jayno
Well i heard an interview the other day on radio 1 i think? where george said that some of the stormtroopers are still jango clones, some are clones of other origin and some are recruits to the imperial navy.

Keep a close eye in ROTS, when some of the clones are holding their helmets, not all of them are jango!! I think it is when obi-one is talking to cody. does anyone have this screenshot?

Also (I know it is the EU) ' when the dessert wind turns, the stormtroopers tale '(tales from mos eisley cantina) is a story about a guy who joins the imperial navy as a stormtrooper.

When leia says "arent you a little short for a stormtrooper" this does not mean they are all the same height. There could be a minimum height requirement just like the one the british police force used to have (I think it was 5'10"??)

Darth Jayno
also, from the official site:

Stormtroopers abandoned individuality in exchange for their loyalty. They are completely encased in a white armored spacesuit shell, and are armed with blaster pistols or blaster rifles. Their helmets contain comlinks for long-range communications. Officers were denoted with colored shoulder pauldrons. Specific environments called for specially trained and equipped stormtroopers, such as the snowtroopers that besieged the ice world of Hoth and the lightly-armored scout troopers that patrolled the forests of Endor.

A clone does not abandon individality!!

Delta51VE
Mark Hamill is one inch shorter than Temeura Morrison, for what that's worth.

smoker4
One inch can make all the difference smokin'

Darth Jayno
wink I dont think she was looking down when she said it though

smoker4
http://images.killermovies.com/forums/customsmilies/superhyper.gif

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.