How old were you when you went from being a "scaredy cat" to a horror fan?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Striel
How old were you when you became a true horror fan? I was about 18 years old. Allow me to share MY journey from being a "scaredy-cat" to a horror film addict.

When I was about three years old, I watched the movie Invasion of the Body Snatchers with my father. It gave me such horrible nightmares and also caused me to have these weird nightly rituals that I would do when going to bed at night. For some reason I became convinced that nothing could happen to me as long as I looked under my bed, in my closet, and then covered my face with blankets and my pillow. I STILL sleep with my blanket and pillow over my head to this day. I guess I just got used to it. Anyways, a few years after seeing that movie, I caught a glimpse of my stepmother watching Prom Night part 2. Once again, it gave me nightmares. When I was in fourth grade, a kid brought The Birds in as a movie to watch on the last day of school. I don't think my teacher knew what it was, because if she did, I can't imagine she would let us watch it. Later I saw the movie Carrie, which is now one of my favorites, but at the time it disturbed me. THEN when I was about 11 years old, my sixth grade teacher showed us The Willies, and the whole part involving the toilet and the guy putting on the skin...etc scared the hell out of me. Not to mention that the movie was disgusting. I haven't watched that movie since. So, at that point I decided not to watch any more horror movies. And I didn't-- til I got to college.

One night, some girls in my dorm decided to rent some movies. We watched The Shining, Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th and Hellraiser. I was totally hooked. From that point on I have watched every horror film I could get my hands on. I probably own about a hundred of them now, and I think I'll be a horror fan forever.

What about YOU?

mmrules
i became a horror fan at 9, i was watching a movie and i was not sure wat it was i looked and saw that it was halloween 2 and i loved it then about 2 days later i saw friday the 13th pt 4 and i loved tha so since then i have loved horror movies

Freddy_vs_Jason
I honestly cannot remember when I became a horror adict, but when I was a kid like 5 or 7, by brothers and Dad would get out pet cemetary and a few other horrors, they scared the daylights outta me, and I hated watching them, I think as I grew up I stopped watching horrors, then one day a couple of years ago I watched a horror movie and like it so I keeped getting out horrors and stuff, and I found that they just didn't scare me anymore, I haven't been scared of anything in years. My favourite by far are the Nightmare on Elm Street movies. I might have been 12 when I loved horror movies, now i'm 14, wait a minute, I think it was only last year that I started to love horrors. But the story I just told is when I stopped being a scardy cat.

HockeyHorror
i was like 4...damn that Leprechuan scared me soo much when i was little...same with Chucky, Pinhead, Lecter etc etc...

i remember i was watching Silence of the Lambs on our TV but i was hiding under the table... laughing out loud

Cinemaddiction
Hmm. I remember seeing "Fright Night", around the time it came out and I was afraid of A) Vampires, and B) Someone putting a pencil through my hand.

Soon after, I latched on to the "nightmare" franchise, and was old enough to realize it was all fake.

I think I've always dabbled in horror movies though, even more so since joining this particular board, which is a dangerous thing.

SlipknoT
I remember when I was 5 one night A nightmare on elm street 2 came on tv. And after that night I fell in love with horror movies, and I started watching any that I found. But I remember out off all of the horror movies I saw Childs play scared me the most, it was just something about Chucky that freaked me out.

SlipknoT
I was 7 then, but I'm fine with it now

bader40
last year sometime...when i was 41

slayer
When i was about 11 i saw Scream then Urban Legend Then the shining. ever since then i've been a horror adict. The Shining, Nightmare on elm Street, Halloween, TCM and Sleepaway Camp wpuld b my all time faves.

BackFire
As long as I can remember I've been a horror adict. They never really scared me, aside from The Shining, but I always enjoyed them.

tabby999
i only started getting into them in the last year and a half really, before that i never really watched them and just thought Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm St were shIte, but now i think Fridays wicked and NOES is shite

roundisfunny
When I was six, "Salem's Lot" scared the Bejeezus out of me (and it still sorta gives me the willies). At 15, I became addicted to "Saturday Nightmares" on USA Network, and recorded a "Friday the 13th" marathon, which I watched incessantly. I was 19 when I saw "The Exorcist" for the first time, and I haven't been the same since.

SlipknoT
I saw the exorcist when I was 10 and I thought it was boring

badkittykitty
my mom let me watch terror train when I was like 8..I thought it was funny and have loved horror movies ever since

Jason_Krueger
When I was 5 years old my mother was flipping throught the channels and came across A Nightmare on Elm St. she was watching it and I got scared......also around that time my Dad and some relatives watched a Friday the 13th movie.....my dad put me to bed and I snuck downstars to see what they were watching.....thats when I first saw a Jason movie...it scared me at first but around 8, 9, or 10 years old I was willing to watch anything and everything HORROR!!!!

SlipknoT
I also remember being scared of halloween 2 when i was 6.

samhain
When I was 7 my brother rented out some videos, among them were NOES 1&2, a few days later Halloween was on the television, then a few days after that I went to visit my cousin and he had Friday the 13th part 6. So within the space of a week I was a hardcore horror fanatic.

Gabri_Krueger
i was six and when i was 8 my dad said " your a horror fan you'd like a nightmare on elm street" and from that moment on...my life was changed. lol big grin. by the way im 12

Gabri_Krueger
but my dad regrets that for now i wont shut up

slayer
laughing out loud

Gabri_Krueger
slayey you ALMOST post as much as me big grin

PissedOffGoalie
i've loved horror films for as far back as i can remember i saw the original TCM when i was 3

Gabri_Krueger
cool

PissedOffGoalie
it scared me

SlipknoT
But it says on your info you were born in 1989. Either your lieing or your stuck in 2001 and you think your 12, or your relly 12 and you lied on your info

PissedOffGoalie
i saw NOES when i was 3 as well i got busted in pre school for jump roping to Freddy's song

SlipknoT
What did they do to you?

Gabri_Krueger
big grin it wouldn't llet me on untill dec if i didn't say i was 14,or 15 i cant tell. big grin

Gabri_Krueger
cool, umm dude... your a dude right? why were ya skippin rope?

PissedOffGoalie
they said the song was inapporprtiate and if i sang it again they'd call my mom

PissedOffGoalie
im a girl and i dont remember i was in PRESCHOOL i i only remember getting busted for sining Freddy's song

BarmyBrummie
After i saw Nightmare on elm street when i was 8 or 9 smile

Lord Soth
A few months ago stick out tongue

PissedOffGoalie
?

Vegeta
When I was 6,I watched Halloween and The Shining,after that I was hocked on horror movies.Never really saw a horror movie that scared me,just made me jump at a tense moment..

Freddy_vs_Jason
Did that Freddy skipping song thing you did really happen? I don't think a school would do that, since it didn't have any swear words or rude parts in it they can't tell you to stop singing it.

Gabri_Krueger
dude i got suspended for a week for singin that song... it CAN happen. I WASNT EVEN SKIPPEN ROPE!

Gabri_Krueger
i jus like it...big grin

PissedOffGoalie
wow what did ur parents do?!

and the teacher said the song was fron an 'adult movie' and innaproprite for a 3 yr old

LeAtHerRFace
2 years old. Because Ive been watching NOE's, Chucky, and etc ever since I was born.

slayer
wHEN I WAS TWELVE I HAD THIS NOSEY PRINIPAL cause i was reading reading stephen King's The Dead Zone. Then he found out i saw noes............. selfish *****!

PissedOffGoalie
yeah and? that bad?

ashley141312
i never had nighmares that i can remember

LeatherLep43
How weird. Everyone used to be a non-horror addict. Now look at us! We're always visiting the Horror Forum!

Ok my story is like this.

For some reason and I don't know why, I was always scared of horror characters. Especially Leprechaun. Around when I was 9 I was like the kid who you couldn't get to watch a horror film no matter what! But the Leprechaun scared me to death. I swear I saw him 2 times in the middle of the night.

LeatherLep43
continued . . .

The 1st time I saw him was in the middle of the night. I jumped off my bed and walked into the dark hall. At the end of the hall was the restroom, the door was open. I could make out this tiny person on the toilet just standing on top of it. It had his hand on his hip and his hat on. I got scared and ran over there and turned on the lights. I think I was about 11. I took a piss and I heard Leprechaun giggles. It scared the shit out of me. So I hurried up and left the light on. I went back to sleep.

The 2nd time I saw him was again in the middle of the night. I woke up and heard a few giggle. And a few little steps in the kitchen. I walked very stiff, over to the kitchen. The lights were off. I looked and squinched my eyes. And I could make out a tiny person again. This time standing by the bar in the living room. It was standing tall and shadowy. I was freaked and ran back to bed.

I was scared. I did not know what to do. So I told my mom and she called my grandma. My grandma is a church-going person. She came over to my house with holy water. She blessed me with the water and told me I would never see him again. And I didn't. But you do not know how this character scared me. He scared me so much sometimes I would just lose it. But what I came to find out just a couple of weeks ago is that one of my friends went through the same thing. He had a fear of the leprechaun and his grandmother blessed him. He never saw it again. Weird, eh?

But now I'm 13 about to be 14 in September. I love horror movies now. I can't get enough. I guess I finally came over my fear of the Lep at the end of me being 12. Thanks to www.lepconnie.com I am not afraid anymore. One day I took up the courage to look up the Lep on the internet and found Connie's great site. I fell in love with the site and started to get into the Lep. I discovered that he really just is a tiny person in make-up. So with me not being scared of the Leprechaun anymore I figured "why be scared of any other horror character?" So I wasn't scared anymore.

But it wasn't just the Lep I had trouble with it was Freddy. I dreamt of him killing me sometimes. And him poking his hands up my bed and into me while I was asleep. I still am a little scared about something like that happening to me till this day. I have a feeling of someone cutting my throat sometimes so when I get that feeling I dip my chin into my chest. Like right now I'm getting a lump in my throat.

And in Child's Play 3 when Chucky cuts Andy's foot, that scares me. I always check under my bed. And when I wake up for dangle my feet off of my bed I quickly pull them up. I am so superstitous. I have some friends at school that are not like me but still put up with me and they are like "why are you so superstitious?" I answer. "I just am"

I'll continure with my life story later....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.