A Scanner Darkly

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Alias_Neo
i havnt heard much about the film. all i know is that its about secret agents that systematically change the features on there face to slip past security and somehow they save the world. anyone else heard about this?

JohnConstantine
ok, now i guess its about Keanu Reeves having a split personallity becus the left cortex of his brain has suffered damage so the right one is making up for it. Saw a trailer for it and it looks, if anything, really interesting. Its half real life, half animation, so it looks awesome.

Cinemaddiction
I read that it had something to do with mind altering drugs, causing a split personality? God, Charlie Kaufman's name was attatched to it, as the original screenwriter, only to lose it. mad

Myth
Despite my dislike of Keanu, this looks really interesting. I've never seen a movie done like this. The story sounds decent too. It is in the future with some drugs that have split personality as a side-effect. Keanu is a cop trying to catch a big time drug dealer who is apparently himself since he too has split personality. Movie also has Robert Downey Jr, Woody Harrelson, and Wynona Rider.

cal31
The way they filmed this movie alone makes me want to see it.

bilb
Wow, looks trippy....... wacko

Korri
Winnona Ryder should die! mad

JohnConstantine
for real man

JohnConstantine
heres the trailer

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&id=1808626786&cf=trailer&intl=us

Cinemaddiction
Ooooohhhhhhhh! Saw the trailer, I'm very much there. yes

JohnConstantine
hells yathumb upeek!thumb up

Korri
droolio can i watch it again?

Berserker
I love the animation style. Waking Life used the same style and it was fabulous. I can't wait for this.

Cinemaddiction
I'm bumping and moving this to Sci Fi, as the trailer has become more prominate. Having seen it on the big screen before "Be Cool", I've got to say, the future of Sci Fi lies in indies as well!

With this and "Sin City", I'm hoping these inventive new ways of cinema take off. I loved the gimmick of "Sky Captain", and "A Scanner Darkly" being presented as a movie with sort of a comic book/animated filter, it's going to be a trip to watch.

ragesRemorse
just another movie with a gimmick. Story doesnt sound that bad, if it diddnt remind me of the matrix.

Cinemaddiction
I don't see where you're drawing any comparisons. They are two totally different films, with two totally different approaches, and two totally different story lines. "A Scanner Darkly" having a much more original, and interesting premise.

ragesRemorse
Of course i havent seen it. The way it appears to be sold is relying soley on the style and cryptic story. I guess it more reminds me of movies like 2046, and sky captain. Seems like an enhanced anime.

Cinemaddiction
The story is bizarre. An agent cracking down on his own alter-ego, which is a product of a hallucinogenic drug? I dunno how that'll play out, but it'll be interesting to watch if nothing else.

ragesRemorse
The concept catches my interest i love originality. I am going to have to wait to see if the style is just a gimmick or actually a technique to carry the story.

Spectr4L
I can hardly wait to see A Scanner Darkly. It will indeed be trippy, as someone had previously mentioned.

I experienced good, hearty laughter when I read the book. I'm a huge Phillip K. Dick fan... big grin

Filmmaker451
The trailer is amazing. The film is better off without CG animation. The kind of animation they are using is brilliantly good. Like a work of art. The cast looks good. I would display the poster which is really cool by the way but since I'm new here I can't poste em'. The storyline is great. Paycheck was really good but a little dissapointing but I loved the other adaptions of philip K. dick's books like blade runner and minority report. Hopefully this one will be a big hit too. I'm going to read the book soon. Since the movie is animated reading the book will give me a good imagination of what the movie could be like in real life look. I heard he is a great author, Mr. dick wink

SnakeEyes
I really don't think I will like this movie, but I will give it a chance...

Filmmaker451
Teaser poster:

http://www.latinoreview.com/films_2005/showest/scannerdarkly.jpg

Mandorallen
http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/ascannerdarkly.html

Trailer.

MC Mike
That was the Teaser.

Here's the Trailer.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/warner_independent_pictures/ascannerdarkly

~Da Rev~
Nothing matters, not the actors, not cartoonish looks. The only thing that does matter, is the director. Richard Linklater. One of, if not, my favorite(s) writers/directors. If you haven't seen Waking life, see it. Its by the same person. That movie is defiantly a mind **** movie.

So this one i dont think i can expect much less.

SUPER pumped for this movie yes

office jesus
Originally posted by ~Da Rev~
Nothing matters, not the actors, not cartoonish looks. The only thing that does matter, is the director. Richard Linklater. One of, if not, my favorite(s) writers/directors. If you haven't seen Waking life, see it. Its by the same person. That movie is defiantly a mind **** movie.

So this one i dont think i can expect much less.

SUPER pumped for this movie yes

You and me both, man. It looks friggen amazing. I just hope it doesn't suck on the account of...you know...Keanu's acting. He isn't the brightest star in Hollywood afterall.

~Da Rev~
Originally posted by office jesus
You and me both, man. It looks friggen amazing. I just hope it doesn't suck on the account of...you know...Keanu's acting. He isn't the brightest star in Hollywood afterall. That is true,

Now, its only to be released in select theaters, and there are no theaters by my house that will be supporting this film. I'm a little pissed.

Dr. Strangelove
It's not playing anywhere in the Sacramento region. I'm really pissed off as well.

~Da Rev~
I'll have to wait for DVD, even though i dont wanna, i guess i have to.

T.M
It is out here on 18th of august.. I will be watching it.

Solo
The weekend estimate was like $400,000. It must not be playing in very many theaters. It's not playing anywhere around me.

C-Dic
Well, 17 theatres right now. That said, Napoleon Dynamite was also showing in limited engagements until word spread, and it was added in other theatres. Sci Fi, however, just doesn't fair well in cinemas anymore. I'd LOVE to see this, and have been looking forward to it for a while. Hopefull, living in industrious Minneapolis, MN, they'll find a way to show it here.

EDIT: It's showing at the Uptown on the 14th. cool

Wolfie
I'm looking forward to this. I'll wait for the DVD release though.

Nevermind
I still waiting for this to be released in cinemas. That said, the story sounds interesting and I am very fond of the film technique used in this film, so I'm there.

Solo
I just got the news that there's a wide release on July 28th!

http://movies.go.com/movies/movie?name=scannerdarkly_2005&genre=scifi&studio=Warner%20Independent%20Pictures

Inspectah Deck
the animation in this movie looks good

MildPossession

Alliance
Dick is genius. I can't wait to see this film.

Dr. Strangelove
Originally posted by C-Dic
Well, 17 theatres right now. That said, Napoleon Dynamite was also showing in limited engagements until word spread, and it was added in other theatres. Sci Fi, however, just doesn't fair well in cinemas anymore. I'd LOVE to see this, and have been looking forward to it for a while. Hopefull, living in industrious Minneapolis, MN, they'll find a way to show it here.

EDIT: It's showing at the Uptown on the 14th. cool

It's showing at the Tower Theatre on the 14th. I can't wait. big grin

buddha1822
I saw it last night... (accidentally posted another post in main forums http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f2/t412645.html).

I thought it was "good." The animation style was incredibly unique and amazing. However, the movie itself lacked "something," maybe it was more of a sci-fi element of just a stronger story, but it lacked. I did enjoy it, thought it was good, and have to see it again a second time to really consider its implications more... but overall good, not great.

Solo
Do not, by any means, listen to the poster above. The story lacked nothing. In fact, it may have been too complex and deep to absorb it all in one viewing. I thought it was spectacular, the rotoscope, the direction, the story, all very solid.

It's an incredibly unique experience and shouldn't be missed by anyone.

Strangelove
Originally posted by Solo
Do not, by any means, listen to the poster above. The story lacked nothing. In fact, it may have been too complex and deep to absorb it all in one viewing. I thought it was spectacular, the rotoscope, the direction, the story, all very solid.

It's an incredibly unique experience and shouldn't be missed by anyone. agreed yes

King Kandy
I strongly disliked this movie. It was simply unbearable to watch. Linklater's earlier film "Waking Life" was a million times better.

Solo
Originally posted by King Kandy
I strongly disliked this movie. It was simply unbearable to watch. Linklater's earlier film "Waking Life" was a million times better.
Funny, the art was actually done by professionals in A Scanner Darkly. Care to elaborate on why you 'strongly disliked' it?

King Kandy
I never said the art was bad. the art was great. the art was the best part about the film.

Solo
Then what was so unbearable?

pr1983
i thought the art was ok, but the rest of the movie... bleh...

Wolfie
The animation, no doubt intriguing and unique. I'd have to go with Solo and say that I need to see it again to grasp everything. Great flick.

The Core
I despise "Waking Life", but it's not detering me from renting this come Tuesday.

Jack Daniels
Is it like sin city type?

Röland
No check out my sig that's how it looks.

Bicnarok

~Da Rev~
There's only one word to describe it. And that word, you might want to get a pad of paper to write this down, that word is Amazing

'nuff said.

Bicnarok
You like it then?

Lady Fianna
It is an extremely good movie, looks quite beautiful really and the plot and actors are top notch as well. big grin

The Core
There's a pretty extensive thread on it in the Sci Fi Forum.

Obviously, I am a fan.

zombieman
I thought it was rubbish.

You can read my review here: http://www.catalystmedia.org.uk/issues/misc/reviews/scanner_darkly.htm

Dusty
Merged.

Silverstein
i liked this movie, the art was really good in my opinion. unique. i liked robert downey jr's acting.

intelegent purp
did anyone laugh their ass off at the whole gears on the bike scene, in-fact I laughed at most of it, I lIkEd ThE eNd, FOR MY FRIENDS, it was creepy sad and happy, or at least hopeful

Nordicdusk
I really liked the movie but as said before you gotta watch it again for a better understanding. I had to wait for the dvd because no cinema here showed it but i thing it was worth the wait.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.