'Backseat Moderating'

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ken Kenobi
What does Backseat Moderating mean?
Let me tell you. When you post "this thread needs to be closed", "close please", "wrong forum", etc. This is in fact considered SPAM - S.tupid-P.ointless-A.nnoying-M.essages. Another thing on this same train of thought: It's one thing to say "wrong forum" or "close please" but another to say that after someone else has already said it. That's even worse. Don't post if you think the thread is idiotic, just inform a moderator. We're here to do a job, not you.

The following is what to do in certain situations in our humble forums.

Threads in the wrong forum:
If you really must tell another member that their thread is in the wrong forum then please answer their question or have a valid reply before informing them of their mistake.

If one or more members Reports the thread about it being in the wrong forum, we will take care of it. After you Report, go ahead and carry on with the thread On-Topic, act like there is nothing wrong. A moderator will be by soon enough to move the thread to the appropriate forum.

Posting useless comments such as "move please" "this thread needs moving" "why the hell did you post this here?!? does this look like the *Insert Forum Name Here* forum?" only tend to de-rail the topic and cause arguments before the thread is even in the right forum. Thus it will more than likely be closed.

Duplicate threads:
Kindly inform the member there is already a thread on the subject, and re-direct them if you please. Help them out by pointing out the search button.

There is no need to be rude to new members who haven't had the time or experience to learn the forum layout yet. We were all in their shoes when we first joined KMC. Acting like a jerk to new members will make them want to leave and/or act like a jerk right back at you.

If someone posts a comment in a "Duplicate" thread saying there is already a topic then there is no need for everyone else to say the same exact thing.

Once again, if there is a duplicate thread: Report it, or send a PM to the forum moderator or a Global Moderator. We will deal with it by either merging or closing the said duplicate.

Disclaimer
From this point on all 'backseat moderators' caught in the act of doing said actions will get a PM from me. There will be no warnings for this, unless I have to tell you multiple times to cut it out, but I will have some choice words for you.

Here on out I want to see more Reported posts/threads, and less of you guys acting like you own the place. Be kind, inviting, present yourself in a positive way to new forum members. We all want our stay at KMC to be fun and informative. Treat everyone with respect. It's not hard to do.

DarkYoda
All hail Ken. All hail Ken. big grin

Sith Master X
Well said Ken.

umraan
yeah i guess so. for about one week. and i never did that!!! wink

Ken Kenobi
Originally posted by umraan
yeah i guess so. for about one week. and i never did that!!! wink

Not just for one week.

This forum is still going to be around after May 19th, did you know that???

There will still be new members posting a thread in the wrong spot or members posting threads that most would consider idiotic, duplicate, etc.

This rule applies to the Episode III forum for as long as there is an Episode III forum.

LandoSpeeder2
Ok, sorry, Won't to it again Ken.

LightSaber_Part
Originally posted by DarkYoda
All hail Ken. All hail Ken. big grin

trumpetKen Kenobi enforcing the rules with an Iron Fist.trumpet

http://img164.echo.cx/img164/889/ironfist5es.jpg

Prod
I dont think this thread should belong here...it has NOTHING to do with Episode three really...

some mod lock this!

(Just kidding...lol...wont do it again...thanks for letting us know...:laughsmile

astrofan428
Yes my master.

Ken Kenobi
laughing out loud

Thanks guys.

Also, if you all really want to help...since I can't be here 24/7 and I can't check every last post since I was last online, if you see someone 'Backseat Moderating' and I haven't replied to them please PM me or report the Backseat Moderating.

darthmonkey9206
thanks for bringing this up, i always hated it when people said "close please" sick .

cal31
Hmmm... reminds me of someone with the initials Edit: name dropping removed, oh wait did I say that out loud?

Ken Kenobi
Originally posted by cal31
Hmmm... reminds me of someone with the initials Edit: name dropping removed, oh wait did I say that out loud?

I edited this post, removed the member's initials. This is constituted as member bashing in it's own right.

This is another one of the items that has got to stop. Do not publicly denounce another forum member in any way, shape, or form.

There is no need to mention names, what's done is done, get over it. I think I am going to have to be more strict on all of you if you won't stick with the forum rules.

astrofan428
So to sum up basically, if you have a problem then pm a Ken or another mod, do not bring it up in a thread.

Am I right?

Ken Kenobi
Originally posted by astrofan428
So to sum up basically, if you have a problem then pm a Ken or another mod, do not bring it up in a thread.

Am I right?

Right.

This way you do not instigate an argument or annoy other members.

To add to my original post:

It's one thing to say "wrong forum" or "close please" but another to say that after someone else has already said it. That's even worse.

Mist
Originally posted by Ken Kenobi

What does backseat moderating mean? Let me tell you. When you post "this thread needs to be closed", "close please", "wrong forum", etc.

if its your own thread.....?

Ken Kenobi
If it is your own thread...yes, but also send me or another moderator a message so we can either close or move the thread for you.

Darth_Vader05
Thank you master Ken Kenobi finnaly some one has said some thing but like i have said before after May 19th you will not be seeing me around hear and who knows i may return but i wish you all a great stay here at KMC!

Mortanius
close this.

Ken Kenobi
Originally posted by Mortanius
close this.

laughing out loud Hahahaha! No no expression

yodafan
Yes Master Kenobi ::bows::

peluffo
GREAT!! Thank you very much for your efforts!

It will be very nice to see real mods taking care! Thank you again, Ken.

Darth Plagueis
What about overkill on the "use the search button, moron!" comments? While I wholeheartedly agree with the use of the search button, it CAN be daunting to new members, and also frustratingly unproductive when looking up certain items....which does not make someone a moron.

Darth_Janus
I agree. I've been here for a long time and I pretty much overlooked the search button. It's not exactly right in your face.

Ken Kenobi
Originally posted by Darth Plagueis
What about overkill on the "use the search button, moron!" comments? While I wholeheartedly agree with the use of the search button, it CAN be daunting to new members, and also frustratingly unproductive when looking up certain items....which does not make someone a moron.

The same applies to these comments.

Kindly inform the member there is already a thread on the subject, and re-direct them if you please.

There is no need to be rude to new members who haven't had the time or experience to learn the forum layout yet. We were all in their shoes when we first joined KMC. Acting like a jerk to new members will make them want to leave and/or act like a jerk right back at you.

If someone posts a comment in a "Duplicate" thread saying there is already a topic then there is no need for everyone else to say the same exact thing.

Be kind, inviting, present yourself in a positive way to new forum members. We all want our stay at KMC to be fun and informative. Treat everyone with respect. It's not hard to do.

Once again, if there is a duplicate thread: Report it, or send a PM to the forum moderator or a Global Moderator. We will deal with it by either merging or closing the said duplicate.

Darth_Janus
I like the way you've handled this. Very tactful but thorough. I give you credit, Ken.

Darth Plagueis
Second that.
The idea shouldn't be to drive noobs away.

Darth_Janus
Shoo, Plagueis. I'm on to you.
lol

Ken Kenobi
I've edited the first post with all the changes (and made it look sleeker stick out tongue).

I advise you all to review the changes.

Darth_Janus
Looks good. I'm just waiting for the first person to not understand it.

Ken Kenobi
Originally posted by Darth_Janus
Looks good. I'm just waiting for the first person to not understand it.

I typed it out as I went, just what came to my head.

So it's not as well thought out as Ushgarak or Raz's comments would be. It's more of an "every forum member" type of message. Hopefully there won't be too many members who don't understand it.

Darth_Janus
Well, simplicity and all that works better than an essay for the average person. I think it's good enough, but there's always one... You know how it goes.

astrofan428
I've edited the first post with all the changes (and made it look sleeker stick out tongue).

I advise you all to review the changes.

Now I am not sure I understand. stick out tongue

Darth_Janus
I knew it!

smoker4
Hmmm wonder if stalking will fall into this juristriction? smokin'

Sadako of Girth
Especially the Grudge-bearing-creepy-ones.. Towel whippings to them I say!!!! Good work Ken..... smile

peluffo
I'm pretty sure that if everybody take this rules seriously, there will be no more reasons to "stalking"... smile wink

I hope that everybody takes this too seriously as I did. Specially because Ken has and deserve all our respect. This forum has changed for good since he's around, and i'm grateful for it.

PVS
im sure he was asking ken (mod) that question, and i am curious as to any policy regarding stalking.

but really, i'll bet anyone here good money that 99% of the problems with this particular forum will die down after the hype. may 19th will mean the eand of the hyperspace glory hounds, BIG problem solved right there. then its just a matter of the fair-weather fans getting bored once the hype simmers. that should be a month or two. after that, i dont think there will be any more barages of pointless threads. smile

peluffo
Me too, PVS, me too wink

Ken Kenobi
Originally posted by PVS
im sure he was asking ken (mod) that question, and i am curious as to any policy regarding stalking.

Explain to me what your definition of Internet Stalking on KMC means. I will try to address it as best as I can.

PVS
Explain to me what your definition of Internet Stalking on KMC means. I will try to address it as best as I can.

a grudge-induced routine stalking and trolling/flaming/baiting.
basically when someone makes a hobby out of pissing someone else off.

i have experienced this before, and it would seem that they were looking through my post history and making a point of flaming every one. what clued me in was a particular nasty troll who 'happened' to find my post in the OTF when they never posted there before.

Ken Kenobi
Originally posted by PVS
a grudge-induced routine stalking and trolling/flaming/baiting.
basically when someone makes a hobby out of pissing someone else off.

i have experienced this before, and it would seem that they were looking through my post history and making a point of flaming every one. what clued me in was a particular nasty troll who 'happened' to find my post in the OTF when they never posted there before.

So, in essence, Trolling.

Just report the member, if they do this in PM's, then PM Raz or a Global Moderator with a transcript of what they say to you in those PM's, be sure to include everything you say as well.

peluffo
Wise, wise man. //comfortable nod//

PVS
So, in essence, Trolling.

Just report the member, if they do this in PM's, then PM Raz or a Global Moderator with a transcript of what they say to you in those PM's, be sure to include everything you say as well.

yeah...i guess trolling is trolling is trolling. just that some are more clever at it than the obvious ones who just post "F*** YOU ALL!!!" etc, but rather make a point of staying just below the radar(usually the same people that turn around and sing praise to those with authority)...almost like a sport.

but thankfully, never had to deal with much PM harassment. as far as the rest, advice taken. thanks dude smile

Jedi Priestess

For me, it has been having a member go out of their way to post snide, inuenndos behind my posts and then try and look innocent about it. Thankfully Ken has been on top of this problem and for that a thousand thanks you's. mwah1

Grand Moff Gav
i hate people who talk about threads being in the wrong place or being pointless. For example.

A guy who wasnt sure about SW put up a post asking who lukes mum was,i told him who he said thanks then came Edit: Name Dropping Removed

here it is all names removed

who is luke's mom?
hey i was just wondering? they never say anything about lukes mom, or vaders wife or w/e....all i know is princess leigha and luke are bro and sis, kids of vader.....maybe queen amadiala or w/e is their mom....lol...anyone know?

spoiler
Jedi Exile

shut up, another pointless thread

PVS
no need to mention names, or you kinda become part of the problem here...

Ken Kenobi
Originally posted by PVS
no need to mention names, or you kinda become part of the problem here...

Yes, please do not mention any names in here.

Grand Moff Gav
i mean what was the point in that

Ken Kenobi
Originally posted by Grand Moff Gav
i mean what was the point in that

There is no point actually. That's why all of these types of posts have got to stop.

The only thing to come out of it is members arguing amongst themselves and making the problem 10x worse.

Grand Moff Gav
i think people who take it upon themselves to declare a thread rubbish or pointless (excluding mods) should be banished to movie online forums or somting

Ken Kenobi
i think people who take it upon themselves to declare a thread rubbish or pointless (excluding mods) should be banished to movie online forums or somting

You'd think so, but no.

They will get a talking to though, and if it keeps up after I tell them to stop, there will be a warning attached to my next post/PM to them.

eXSBass
Finally! This goes out to all those son of a bitches out there who think they can be smart arses and complain. Including those bastards who were persistant and kept telling me "naff off, wrong forum" and off course, the classic "die in the face, TWICE!"
Let me tell those son of a bitches if they do it again, i'm not going to rape them senseless but Ken is.
Understood?

Grand Moff Gav
errrrr is that aloud what you just said and Ken if your a mod why does it not say so on you little stip thing under where it says "in your head"

PVS
hes undercover ninja

Grand Moff Gav
i thought that

Ken Kenobi
errrrr is that aloud what you just said and Ken if your a mod why does it not say so on you little stip thing under where it says "in your head"

Because I am not a Global Moderator, just a forum moderator.

Only the Globals get the Moderator title under their location. sad

Also, what eXSBass said will be allowed in this thread, mostly because it was in jest.

eXSBass

Also, what eXSBass said will be allowed in this thread, mostly because it was in jest.

Cheers

Grand Moff Gav

Also, what eXSBass said will not be allowed in this thread, mostly because i want him dead

god i love this evil face evil face

PVS
Originally posted by eXSBass
Finally! This goes out to all those son of a bitches out there ....

proper grammar would be 'sons of bitches' (possible 'sons of a *****' to suggest relation)

stick out tongue

edit: interesting...the plural is not censored...but the singular is... confused sorry...just noticed that

Ken Kenobi
god i love this evil face evil face

Now, mis-quoting me will not be allowed. That is another form of member bashing on eXSBass, making me say something like that is done in bad form.

I would like for this to be a serious thread for people to make suggestions about 'Backseat Moderators' and to ask me questions regarding my policy.

Grand Moff Gav
Originally posted by PVS
im picking my nosestick out tongue

right im going to stop this now k evil face

Grand Moff Gav
any way ken i wont do that anymore but erm what can we talk about

PVS
wow....i really was picking my nose blink

GET OUT OF MY MIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mad mad mad

Grand Moff Gav
ahhh but serious convo um yes back seat moderating the most annoying thing ever

Ken Kenobi
any way ken i wont do that anymore but erm what can we talk about

Anything concerning my policy.

Suggest new rules to throw in there, ask me questions, tell your horror stories of 'Backseat Moderating' (without mentioning names of course)

peluffo
Well, some users will have his wings trimmed. No need of names of any kind. Vox Populy, Vox Dei.

Grand Moff Gav
oh no names well there was this guy called KEN not that we no him and he kiked me.

New rules i have one people shouldnt get to be funny think we would drive them away in there millions

sith_darth_jay
what about cluttering threads with link request?

or posting only smilies?

.....just asking

Grand Moff Gav
Ken why do you hate Jar Jar ???

Ken Kenobi
Originally posted by sith_darth_jay
what about cluttering threads with link request?

or posting only smilies?

.....just asking

I hate link requests as well.

That's why I prefer members to just PM a link request to another forum member before trying to ask for it on the forums themselves.

Smilie only posts have their place, but not in serious topics.

Ken Kenobi
Ken why do you hate Jar Jar ???

Because he is annoyingly clumsy.

Jedi Priestess
Ok Ken, here is a serious question. Say a person isnt a new person and they start a thread thats been covered about a hundred times (for example anyting related to Grevious) and they preface their thread with, I have a question but I didnt want to look through the threads....

then what?

Ken Kenobi
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
Ok Ken, here is a serious question. Say a person isnt a new person and they start a thread thats been covered about a hundred times (for example anyting related to Grevious) and they preface their thread with, I have a question but I didnt want to look through the threads....

then what?

The thread will be closed.

I will then contact them via PM's and explain why we don't clutter the boards. I would also remind them that posting such a thread is just an invitation for 'Backseat Moderators' to come in and tell them off.

Grand Moff Gav
theyre new and it ccould take for ever to find ther answer in other threads sooooooo just give him the answer and thats it done, finished finito

Jedi Priestess
The thread will be closed.

I will then contact them via PM's and explain why we don't clutter the boards. I would also remind them that posting such a thread is just an invitation for 'Backseat Moderators' to come in and tell them off.

you do realise, that you are taking all my fun away dont you? evil face

No seriously thumbsup

Ken Kenobi
theyre new and it ccould take for ever to find ther answer in other threads sooooooo just give him the answer and thats it done, finished finito

JP said, if they aren't new. Meaning they know how we do things around here.

I can understand if they did search but couldnt't find a relevant thread. Someone can then answer their question and we will attempt to find the relevant older thread and either merge or close the new one.

Grand Moff Gav
oh thats me told.

Ken on your sig who or what is that at the right end of it

Grand Moff Gav
and sorry priestess i thought you said if they where new

Ken Kenobi
oh thats me told.

Ken on your sig who or what is that at the right end of it

That's Anakin storming the Jedi Temple.

I wanted the Clones in the signature, but Anakin was too high to have them both in there, so I opted for the clones instead of Anakin.

Grand Moff Gav
ah

BAILY
People wouldnt need to backseat Mod.. if the mods would do their jobs properly, but that is my two cents....

Ken Kenobi
Originally posted by BAILY
People wouldnt need to backseat Mod.. if the mods would do their jobs properly, but that is my two cents....

We can't be here 24/7, we really do appreciate the help when you Report posts, but there is no need for members to tell people what to do on the forums.

BAILY
I agree but sometimes we have to Ken.... this forum has gone down the shitter in the last 6 months.. i have been here nearly a year now and watched it go down the crapper..... i dont post hardly anymore, because there arent any threads worth posting in.. i come here all the time.. i just dont post much... I hope things will go back to the way they were after all these god damed moochers and idiots leave after the movie comes out....

EDIT: I do apologize to you Ken.. my comment before wasnt a personal attack on you... you seem to be the only one who does anything around here anymore.... 5 mods and only one does all the work..... kinda pathetic... but you do good work...

Ken Kenobi
I agree but sometimes we have to Ken.... this forum has gone down the shitter in the last 6 months.. i have been here nearly a year now and watched it go down the crapper..... i dont post hardly anymore, because there arent any threads worth posting in.. i come here all the time.. i just dont post much... I hope things will go back to the way they were after all these god damed moochers and idiots leave after the movie comes out....

Trust me, it will get better once the Episode III film is released.

I've been here for just about 4 years now. I've seen the hype increase prior to AOTC, after it was released things calmed down and KMC was a better place.

Just give it time.

smoker4

http://images.killermovies.com/forums/moresmilies/clapping.gif smokin'

smile

peluffo
If you see an inappropriate topic, just hit "report" button instead entering some harsh phrase on "reply" box below. And THERE you can explain why the post is futile, wrong or whatever.
A bad thread is worse with all the people posting how bad it is. It's nonsense.

And a "common member" don't have to work with bad postings and bad posters. The MODS have to do it. Do you want to cooperate? then LET THEM do their job, and report.

Whisper
closing

Whisper
embarrasment Sorry, couldn't resist.

umraan
Not just for one week.

This forum is still going to be around after May 19th, did you know that???

There will still be new members posting a thread in the wrong spot or members posting threads that most would consider idiotic, duplicate, etc.

This rule applies to the Episode III forum for as long as there is an Episode III forum.

yea i kno but there is no reason to be here after. exccept for like one or 2 things.

PVS
Originally posted by umraan
yea i kno but there is no reason to be here after.

and that is exactly why this forum will clean up nicely.

Darth Mantis
I'm sorry, I won't do it again.

BAILY
Originally posted by PVS
and that is exactly why this forum will clean up nicely.

Right on thumb up

Darth Plagueis
Originally posted by Darth_Janus
Shoo, Plagueis. I'm on to you.
lol ????????????????

waynerobsonuk
I really hope it does clean up a bit once ROTS is released a week or two! like others I remember when it was 'fun' being here as opposed to getting into silly season every day.

I think most of the backseat moderating is basically down to people feeling frustrated at the way this board has went down the pan (compared to what it used to be). I've had a few occasions of peopole trying to bait me over the past year (well nearly a year), normally it's just a helluva lot easier to ignore idiots that to be drawn into an argument lasting 10 pages anyway.
I'm sure some people leave there brains on the shelf when they log on here.

Wayne...

Darth_Janus
A small joke, PLagueis. Don't fret about it.

bILLYgOAT
Originally posted by peluffo
If you see an inappropriate topic, just hit "report" button instead entering some harsh phrase on "reply" box below. And THERE you can explain why the post is futile, wrong or whatever.
A bad thread is worse with all the people posting how bad it is. It's nonsense.

And a "common member" don't have to work with bad postings and bad posters. The MODS have to do it. Do you want to cooperate? then LET THEM do their job, and report.

?

thx for that confused

PVS
laughing out loud tell me about it laughing out loud

to actually witness backseat moderating IN the 'backseat moderating' thread is mindboggling isnt it? i thought of pointing it out before, but then i would be backseat modding the backseat mod...and any retaliation would be an act of backseat modding the backseat mod of the backseat mod...in the backseat mod thread... this could go on and on until insanity ensues....way too confusing and not worth the trouble stick out tongue

Ken Kenobi
Originally posted by PVS
laughing out loud tell me about it laughing out loud

to actually witness backseat moderating IN the 'backseat moderating' thread is mindboggling isnt it? i thought of pointing it out before, but then i would be backseat modding the backseat mod...and any retaliation would be an act of backseat modding the backseat mod of the backseat mod. this could go on and on until insanity ensues....way too confusing and not worth the trouble stick out tongue

I'm confused now. messed

Anyways, I am closing this thread to discussion, but it will stay sticky for future reference.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.