Southern Stereotypes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

theReject
Well, I was thinking earlier today when I was shelving books at the library about what people in the North really think about Southerners.
So to all those who live in Northern areas (Or England or Australia), do you perceive Southern people according to the usual stereotypes or do you think of us just the same as you. I once heard that some people in New York thought that we don't wear shoes to school and work. I thought that was funny. big grin I'd also like to know any other stereotypes you have heard.

I promise that I will find absolutely nothing offensive so feel free to say exactly what you think. This is not about starting an argument. I am just curious. smile I was thinking of doing a Sociology paper on this topic. And I would be thankful for ANY input.

The grateful Reject

Ken Kenobi
Originally posted by theReject
Well, I was thinking earlier today when I was shelving books at the library about what people in the North really think about Southerners.
So to all those who live in Northern areas (Or England or Australia), do you perceive Southern people according to the usual stereotypes or do you think of us just the same as you. I once heard that some people in New York thought that we don't wear shoes to school and work. I thought that was funny. big grin I'd also like to know any other stereotypes you have heard.

I promise that I will find absolutely nothing offensive so feel free to say exactly what you think. This is not about starting an argument. I am just curious. smile I was thinking of doing a Sociology paper on this topic. And I would be thankful for ANY input.

The grateful Reject

Where in the south are you from?

I grew up in Tennessee.

theReject
I was born and live in Mississippi.big grin

SlipknoT
New Jersey

Ken Kenobi
Nice!

I've been down that way a few times.

Anyways, to keep this on topic.

Another stereotype is we ALL listen to country music and have mullets.

theReject
Oh yea! The mullet stereotype. I forgot about that one.

Ken Kenobi
Or we are missing most of our teeth and drinking moonshine all day long.

Draco69
Southerners are VERY stereotyped here at KMC. Unfortunately. sad

Afro Cheese
People say southerners marry their cousins, are racist sexist and homophobic, listen to country and western, like nascar, live in trailers, keep their christmas decorations up year round, can't read, still think "the south will rise again," and if black they have gold teeth and braids and love getting "crunk."

Next Venom_girl
Ever see the Simpsons? "That be our shootin' car." evil face

Ken Kenobi
Originally posted by Afro Cheese
People say southerners marry their cousins, are racist sexist and homophobic, listen to country and western, like nascar, live in trailers, keep their christmas decorations up year round, can't read, still think "the south will rise again," and if black they have gold teeth and braids and love getting "crunk."

laughing out loud

I happen to like Nascar (for the crashes) stick out tongue

I lived in a trailer for a while when my family was having money problems.

Draco69
Do any Southerners here find the term "redneck" to be offensive?

Ken Kenobi
Originally posted by Draco69
Do any Southerners here find the term "redneck" to be offensive?

Nah, redneck is something to be proud of in the south wink. I no longer live in the south, but I still love it.

theReject
In answer to Draco69's question: Nope big grin

Afro Cheese
Yeah I noticed that when I lived in North Carolina people would call themselves rednecks and even wear shirts and shit with redneck written on it.. but down here in Florida if you call someone a redneck some people get real offended.

theReject
People in North Carolina call themselves rednecks? I didn't know that.

shellie
Originally posted by Afro Cheese
Yeah I noticed that when I lived in North Carolina people would call themselves rednecks and even wear shirts and shit with redneck written on it.. but down here in Florida if you call someone a redneck some people get real offended. Originally posted by theReject
People in North Carolina call themselves rednecks? I didn't know that. I was born in Miami and moved to North Carolina when I was about 8...Im 31 now and never have I called myself a redneck...I only know a small handfull of people here in NC who do call themself a redneck.

Ben-Kenobi
Im born and raised in Louisville Kentucky Home Of The Kentucky Derby Its not really red red neck down here its achully really civilized

theReject
Hmm. Since now we know of some stereotypes, (Southerners) which do you find to be the most true, or seemingly true?

Afro Cheese
I know tons of people in NC that say they are proud to be rednecks.

bilb
Oh I SOOOO despise this crap! I am from TN, born & raised and if if I have to hear ONE MORE Deliverance joke imma have to kill that person!!
When I was in jr high we went to Wash DC and the people there really & truly were amazed that 1) we had on shoes 2) we had all of our teeth and 3) we seemed to know how indoor plumbing functioned...
These stereotypes are absolutely RIDICULOUS but quite prevalent I have found. And who cares if you live in a trailer? The important thing is are you a good person who does what is required of any person in this society? By and large the answer is yes. We may have funny accents but I guarantee you would be hard pressed to find people more giving, generous and loving than Southerners, esp during a crisis.
As for the term redneck.. to me its like alot of other terms. I can say it because I am from the South, but I will fight you like mad if you are from up North & call me one. Same way me & Jp call each other b!tch... but make no mistake any GUY calls either of us that and the claws come out.
I would piss & moan about this more but seems that noone on this country can be bothered with actually looking at stereotypes rationally so why would this one be any different?

*walks away singing 'All My Exes Live in Texas' while climbing into a 4x4 truck with bumper stickers that have the rebel flag & the phrase 'American By Birth, Southern By the Grace of God' ...*

Darth Revan
I'm in Eugene, Oregon, and up here it's quite an insult to be called a redneck. Being a hippie, on the other hand, is perfectly acceptable. According to a few hippies who have lived in the south, there are way more racist people down there, which is interesting because up until the 60's the Willamette Valley was notoriously racist. Basically I live in what is the complete opposite of the southern stereotype. However, like many southerners, the hippies here are very kind, generous people... They just say the "f" word more. erm

bilb
Originally posted by Darth Revan
I'm in Eugene, Oregon, and up here it's quite an insult to be called a redneck. Being a hippie, on the other hand, is perfectly acceptable. According to a few hippies who have lived in the south, there are way more racist people down there, which is interesting because up until the 60's the Willamette Valley was notoriously racist. Basically I live in what is the complete opposite of the southern stereotype. However, like many southerners, the hippies here are very kind, generous people... They just say the "f" word more. erm

Well I remember my mom used to get pissed off when someone called her a hippie.. never did understand why. These days its some thing of a badge of honor to be called a hippie.. Go figure

And yes I know there is racism here.. its fairly rampant in my family (grandparents esp) but my generation, or at least the ones I come into contact with, really and truly are not anymore racist than anyone else. That doesnt mean we should just let it be, but its the same in LA where we see black folks being beaten by white cops and the like. It is all unexcusable.. just more ignorant steroetypes. I could care less what you are so long as you arent stupid.. thats really the only bias I have..............

Darth Revan
There's much less racism everywhere amongst the younger generations. The biggest problem with racism is with the government and police force... Where do you live now btw? Just curious.

TheAnimal
i was born in hawaii and i moved to n.y.c in 93 with my older brother. then when i turned 22 i moved to miami were i live now. do i find southern people annoying? not the people but the way they talk. i just think it's because im not use to hearing people talk diffrent like that. i got no probs with them thougth

Tptmanno1
Hippy is a funny term because it can be positice and negative.
But I do realize that being IN Southern California, more people are elietist, although WE do have the OC steryotype...

We use the term "Hick" more than redneck

bilb
There's much less racism everywhere amongst the younger generations. The biggest problem with racism is with the government and police force... Where do you live now btw? Just curious.

Southeast Tennessee, yes I have a very thick southern accent!!

Draco69
I LOVE Southern people. So polite. smile

Although I hold some resentment for the spawning of the wretched Jessica Simpson... miffed

bilb

Although I hold some resentment for the spawning of the wretched Jessica Simpson... miffed

Sigh.. so do we, trust me cool

Capt_Fantastic
Okay...all the bullshit aside, I grew up in NC. My father was a yankee raised on manhattan and my grandmother was rasied in Pennsylvania. In fact, my father used to wack the back of my head when I said anything with a southern accent. I guess that's why everyone assumed I was from the midwest, because I had no accent growing up!? I was raised by yankees in the south. It all makes sense now.

Curl_Up&Dye
I have family in the Carolinas.... the woman who married my uncle (she's now my aunt by marriage) inherited a lot of money because her family owns like most of the florida orange groves. so she HATES the word redneck

Darth Revan
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
Okay...all the bullshit aside, I grew up in NC. My father was a yankee raised on manhattan and my grandmother was rasied in Pennsylvania. In fact, my father used to wack the back of my head when I said anything with a southern accent. I guess that's why everyone assumed I was from the midwest, because I had no accent growing up!? I was raised by yankees in the south. It all makes sense now.

Haha, I had a science teacher who grew up in NC and had almost no accent because his mother made him read the dictionary as a little kid until it was gone.

I don't mind 'em myself, I think it's interesting how there's such a big difference in accents within one country.

Mainstream
my accent is virtual gone too I fight against it ya'll shit I did it again

Ken Kenobi
I have a slight accent.

I still say y'all some of my words get emphasized, but for the most part I've had people tell me they think my accent is from California.

DarkCrawler
Some people think that southerns like to hunt. (Always with shotgun)

Ken Kenobi
Originally posted by DarkCrawler
Some people think that southerns like to hunt. (Always with shotgun)

Because they do. laughing out loud

My ex-brother-in-law and I went hunting a few times with shotguns. I nearly bagged a deer.

Afro Cheese
I'm in Eugene, Oregon, and up here it's quite an insult to be called a redneck. Being a hippie, on the other hand, is perfectly acceptable. According to a few hippies who have lived in the south, there are way more racist people down there, which is interesting because up until the 60's the Willamette Valley was notoriously racist. Basically I live in what is the complete opposite of the southern stereotype. However, like many southerners, the hippies here are very kind, generous people... They just say the "f" word more. erm Down here calling someone a redneck is an insult, and calling someone a hippy is also an insult. However, calling someone "dog" or "son" is perfectly exceptable.

Mainstream
what's up dog?

Ken Kenobi
I thought that it was "dawg" erm

Mainstream
I think it is but they sound basically the same dog dawg to too basically the same yo check it yo dog is like buddy ya feel me home boy-eee!?

WindDancer

I love their food. happy

Afro Cheese
Originally posted by Ken Kenobi
I thought that it was "dawg" erm Don't let them fool you, there's no difference.

bilb
Originally posted by WindDancer
I love their food. happy

Ah yes.. everything deep fried & slathered in butter!! yummeh!! oh and the gravy!! and the salt! and everything else listerd as a DONT on the American Heart Assoc do not eat list!! laughing

Capt_Fantastic

Well, southerners are nice. As long as you're from the south...non-catholic...not a yankee....baptist...from america...in a lower tax brackett...have no problem with humidity...eat pork three times a day...related to a family member on more than one tier of your family tree...white...do not work in banking. As long as you fit all these criteria, they're very pleassant. In the town I was raised in, there was a sign on the side of the Dairy-O until 1983. It said: "N*gger, don't be here when the sun goes down!"

WindDancer
Originally posted by bilb
Ah yes.. everything deep fried & slathered in butter!! yummeh!! oh and the gravy!! and the salt!

You making me hungry. sad

sbo
If you're ever down south, try some hush puppies, those things are great.

Alpha Centauri
Brian Griffin said it best when he sang:

"So let's go see...the USA. They'll treat you fair unless you're black or gay....or cherokeeeeeeee."

-AC

sk8stuff09
people always think that people in texas are like cowboys and still ride around on horses....which for the most part isnt true. they also think we are ALL george bush loving rednecks, which is mostly true, but their still a good amount of texans that arent rednecks and dont obsess with bush.....i hate when u are like "im from texas" and the person from another state u r talking to is all "oh your from texas? do u have a horse?" its annoying as hell...................

Draco69
It's hypocritical to advocate against racism, sexism and other types of prejudice when one clearly uses prejudicial statements against persons of a specific region.

Afro Cheese
Well the thread starter is asking about "southern stereotypes"...

debbiejo
I've been told by friends and relatives that the south doesn't like the North still! All because of the Civil War thing...Still...If your not from there then your concidered an outsider no matter how long you live there.

sbo
Religion is what separates the south from much of the north, especially the urban areas. Many southerners are very devout Christians, and people who don't share their beliefs are often met with disdain.

Afro Cheese
Yeah. When I lived in NC that was always one of the first questions someone would ask me when I first met them. "What church do you go to?"

sbo
And If you tell them that you don't go to church,you can usually tell right away that they're displeased with that answer, even if they don't tell you so directly.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by sbo
And If you tell them that you don't go to church,you can usually tell right away that they're displeased with that answer, even if they don't tell you so directly.

My father opened a buisness there, it lasted about six months. Once word got out that he was a yankee AND catholic, no one would make use of his services. Things have changed in teh south though. There are catholic churches all over the place, even in the smallest town. Hell, I was baptized in St. Leo the Greats Catholic church, in NC, after being born in New Mexico.(Which was also where I went to grade school)

bilb
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
Well, southerners are nice. As long as you're from the south...non-catholic...not a yankee....baptist...from america...in a lower tax brackett...have no problem with humidity...eat pork three times a day...related to a family member on more than one tier of your family tree...white...do not work in banking. As long as you fit all these criteria, they're very pleassant. In the town I was raised in, there was a sign on the side of the Dairy-O until 1983. It said: "N*gger, don't be here when the sun goes down!"

Thats really disgraceful about that sign,, But th erest of your post, that is NOT the prevailing attitude, at least not around here

Capt_Fantastic
Thats really disgraceful about that sign,, But th erest of your post, that is NOT the prevailing attitude, at least not around here
It's called sarcasm dear. I grew up in the south. I am a southerner. But, the bit about the sign is true.

bilb
ahh , ok sorry.. been a long day embarrasment stick out tongue

AnImE_ChAoS
well im from england and i get alot of sterotype thoughts on me. ive had people think im a spoilt posh brat in some big mansion with loads of money nice cars and good food(this is thought by msot americans i know online >>;; not everyone lol). i eat take-aways live ina two story council flat in the middle of knowhere with a crappy old grey volvo and hardly any money at all for spending use. >>;; people used to think i dressed all posh in nice expensive clothes XD i dress as scruffy as possible and as evil as possible evil face also in the uk (i live in the south) the northeners think of the southeners in the same manner lol. i go up north alot to visit my partner and i get funny looks because i talk differently and use different words and such, and i look at them when they say different words for something i know and stuff. its weird its like being in another dymention.

my friend fromt he USA also told me his mother came to the uk and he thought jsut because one person said to his mom it was weird, that we all thought it was weird she took a shower everyday and stuff like that. see its all like assuptions* people do judge a whole nation on jsut meeting one person from that place. fair enoguh the uk does have its snobs but every other country does to o.O;; XD i would hate to be like that. i would rather be in the USA than this shit pit >>;;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/AnImE_ChAoS2/sigs%20and%20avatars/chaossig.jpg

theReject
Ah yes.. everything deep fried & slathered in butter!! yummeh!! oh and the gravy!! and the salt! and everything else listerd as a DONT on the American Heart Assoc do not eat list!! laughing

Oh and don't forget Grits. With butter. And salt and pepper. And milk. Hmm I think I'll go make me a bowl now.... smile

Swanky-Tuna
If you can imagine this without the sweet Total Recall reference:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/zanpanzer/scr07.jpg

That is what I picture when I think of Southern people. But with a hat and a fan in one hand and an iced tea in the other. Mercy me.

moviejunkie23
Originally posted by Swanky-Tuna

That is what I picture when I think of Southern people. But with a hat and a fan in one hand and an iced tea in the other. Mercy me.

dude i just love your sig

bilb
Originally posted by Swanky-Tuna

Is that good or bad?? confused

Swanky-Tuna
Is that good or bad?? confused
I imagine it feels better than being stereotyped like this:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/zanpanzer/Hillbillypowerfiddle.jpg

manny321
well some people like me well have bad impressions about the south because i was treated quite badly there.

theReject
Originally posted by manny321
well some people like me well have bad impressions about the south because i was treated quite badly there.

Really? I am so sorry that your experience in the South was not a great one. sad And I am sorry you were treated badly.

manny321
i know one should not judge a group of people by the actions of a few, but serious.

bilb
well its unfortunate, but its also a very human reaction. I too am very sorry that you had a bad experience here. But the fact that you do have your own experience to back up what you think makes all the differennce to me. The ones who piss me off are the ones who live anywhere BUT here, hear stereotypes and not only believe them but repeat them over & over with no basis other than a joke or a movie. I hate sheep...

IceWithin
Oh I SOOOO despise this crap! I am from TN, born & raised and if if I have to hear ONE MORE Deliverance joke imma have to kill that person!!
When I was in jr high we went to Wash DC and the people there really & truly were amazed that 1) we had on shoes 2) we had all of our teeth and 3) we seemed to know how indoor plumbing functioned...
These stereotypes are absolutely RIDICULOUS but quite prevalent I have found. And who cares if you live in a trailer? The important thing is are you a good person who does what is required of any person in this society? By and large the answer is yes. We may have funny accents but I guarantee you would be hard pressed to find people more giving, generous and loving than Southerners, esp during a crisis.
As for the term redneck.. to me its like alot of other terms. I can say it because I am from the South, but I will fight you like mad if you are from up North & call me one. Same way me & Jp call each other b!tch... but make no mistake any GUY calls either of us that and the claws come out.
I would piss & moan about this more but seems that noone on this country can be bothered with actually looking at stereotypes rationally so why would this one be any different?

*walks away singing 'All My Exes Live in Texas' while climbing into a 4x4 truck with bumper stickers that have the rebel flag & the phrase 'American By Birth, Southern By the Grace of God' ...*

hysterical

southeners and their outdoor toilets laughing
just kiddin stick out tongue

bilb
Hey Ice.. you have some southern boys in your sig!! stick out tongue

IceWithin
Hey Ice.. you have some southern boys in your sig!! stick out tongue

are they? huh
anyways I dont care I was just kidding, if u pplo have a computer u obviously hae inside bathrooms stick out tongue

Not a USSR spy!
I was born and raised in North Carolina. I hate it. Though there are some decent people. I hate how they every time someone stated that they were from the North, everyone called them a Yankee. I never lived in a trailer. Though I do live on a farm, but idiots are always illegally entering our forests and hunting. If we saw a dog on our land that was not ours, we would kill it. Also, they are always talking about Bojangles, hunting, or the South rising. I was never a redneck and I am an intelligent person who is a computer geek. Note: I always found used cigarettes on my property while I was walking home. Also, there was an old rusted train on our land.

Ascendancy
Random revival of the month without doubt.

nannasin28
Anyways, to keep this on topic.

0mega Spawn
Im from south Carolina and once went to New York to visit my family
And all everyone would tell me is how country i was
finally snapped on one of my sisters friends and orange juice in her face. Recently talked to my brother from new York all he would talk about was how country i was

Archaeopteryx
Originally posted by Not a USSR spy!
. If we saw a dog on our land that was not ours, we would kill it.

And you say you were never a redneck.... mad

Robtard
Killing random dogs doesn't make you a redneck, it just makes you an *******.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.