What do you think of Luke?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DarkAge
One thing I find strange about Luke is that while his father was extremely emotional about everything, Luke never cries in the OT, not even when his adoptive parents or wingmen who are close to him are killed. Presumably he never killed anyone before he left Tatooine, yet he doesn't even flinch when he starts shooting Storm Troopers on the Death Star. He's also unlike Anakin and Padme in that he's a LOT warmer towards people. What's up with that?

waverly94
The warmth is probably because he is basically a farm boy, he probably had a very normal upbringing. Padme was a politician and Anakin was a former slave. Not a lot of time to be warm in either of those "occupations."
I don't know why he doesn't cry - maybe Uncle Owen taught him that it wasn't manly. But he is emotional - he is impulsive and also prone to anger and seems to genuinely hurt for his friends.
Killing Stormtroopers - well, when someone is shooting at you what do you do? Young men and women do it every day in war in real life and since his enemy is literally "faceless" that probably makes it a bit easier. His conscious may have bugged him later but in the heat of the moment it is kill or be killed!

Grand Moff Gav
hmmmmm interesting points junior but i see what you're saying Darkage you would expect him to be emotional at least once i mean the Vader father sequence would be very emotional but he got over it like that..

exanda kane
Luke is a great character, a bit of a pussy, but he is a farmboy.

flee the evil 1
Originally posted by DarkAge
One thing I find strange about Luke is that while his father was extremely emotional about everything, Luke never cries in the OT, not even when his adoptive parents or wingmen who are close to him are killed. Presumably he never killed anyone before he left Tatooine, yet he doesn't even flinch when he starts shooting Storm Troopers on the Death Star. He's also unlike Anakin and Padme in that he's a LOT warmer towards people. What's up with that?

that is simply the difference between Anakin and Luke. Anakin is filled with hate and thoughts of personal revenge, whilst Luke has probably never hated in his life and is constantly risking his neck to help others- instead of merely satisfying his own personal desires.

Jerico
Also in the 70's (and not until recently) it wasn't at all fashionable to show remorse towards killing, the enemy was just that the enemy, and killing them without qualm was no issue whatsoever.

Also George Lucas' deranged vision of a purely black and white world where people join the Empire purely because of their shriveled black heart of evil would not lead to any sympathy towards those troopers.

But hey, maybe not

mossman
Luke loses his Aunt and Uncle... then vows to become a Jedi.
Anakin was taken away by the Jedi, and, because of that, is unable to prevent the loss of his mother.

In that sense Luke is pretty much a blank slate when Obi-Wan takes him under his wing - he has no attachments.
Luke has the best of both worlds - a stable, emotional family upbringing while being allowed a more intuitive Jedi training than any of his predecessors.
He is an ideal pupil.
Anakin's life as a Jedi was plagued by attachments and fear of losing those attachments.
"Much fear, I sense in you."

umraan
i think he is one of the coolest mother ****ers of all time.

Darth Subjekt
I've always thought of Luke as a fairy without wings. Although I think thats more Mark Hammil rather than Luke. I think Anakin is a more realistic character, more depth, more emotions in general. Luke is too one sided or 2dementional, not a lot of depth to him. Anakin loves, hates, feels remorse, pity. Maybe not a lot of fear as we view it like, "i'm afraid of this guy." but real fear about losing his mom and wife. I think alot more people can relate to Anakin rather than Luke, I know I can relate more to Anakin. But overall, Luke is a good character. I want to see what he would have been like had someone else played him, but at the same time, I cant see anyone else but Mark playing him.

DarkAge
What about the 100 episode live action TV show that's going to be made? Obviously someone else will be playing him in that.

Anyway some good points guys.

Grand Moff Gav
hmmmmmmmmmm

i wonder who'd play luke

exanda kane
Originally posted by Darth Subjekt
I've always thought of Luke as a fairy without wings. Although I think thats more Mark Hammil rather than Luke. I think Anakin is a more realistic character, more depth, more emotions in general. Luke is too one sided or 2dementional, not a lot of depth to him. Anakin loves, hates, feels remorse, pity. Maybe not a lot of fear as we view it like, "i'm afraid of this guy." but real fear about losing his mom and wife. I think alot more people can relate to Anakin rather than Luke, I know I can relate more to Anakin. But overall, Luke is a good character. I want to see what he would have been like had someone else played him, but at the same time, I cant see anyone else but Mark playing him.

Possibly the reason for the 2dimentional thing is that we were supposed to watch the OT from Lukes point of view. This is why I feel why the PT is much worse than the OT, there isn't a character you are meant to follow and look through is eyes.

garrison
Sorry to seem so ignorant but I'm new here. What is the OT and the PT? Thanks for the help.

Bishop X
OT= Original Trilogy PT= Prequel Trilogy.

green dude
I think Luke is more of what we want to be and Anikan is close to what we are even though most of us won't addmit it we are not evil but in some ways alot of us can relait to Anikan.

Luke is like an angel without wings so put it he has no real emotions or attachments and didn't get much time to make relationships with anyone and kept his sadness inside.

I never saw any boys in sw cry or girls really only once did i see a guy cry it was Anikan in episode II.

But to tell you the truth i don't have to see anyones face on this site or thread to say they are great people and they rock out loud smile i think we can all agree on that one big grin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.