Welling VS Routh (pic)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

CaptainAmerica
Bear in mind that this isn't Welling's body. Welling is more physically fit.
Have a look:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/masseysketch/WS.jpg

Save Superman!

alexanderluthor
we shouldn't even have a poll.... the answer is obviuos! mad

pr1983
welling is still too boyish imo...

TheFilmProphet
These people never quit, laughing out loud

Wickerman
Originally posted by CaptainAmerica
Bear in mind that this isn't Welling's body. Welling is more physically fit.
Have a look:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/masseysketch/WS.jpg

Save Superman!

Jeez man, give it a rest. Routh is gonna play him, and if it's sh8t then that's it. Neither of the two can replace Reeve. And both are boyish wannabes that try too hard.

~wickerman~

alexanderluthor
still you can't say because you have bad look you get the worst of two options you think are not the one you want.

TheFilmProphet
Originally posted by Wickerman
Neither of the two can replace Reeve. And both are boyish wannabes that try too hard.

Exactly, very well said. yes

CaptainAmerica
it's not too late. Write the production company. Routh is a fruit.

Save Superman!

pr1983
it's not too late. Write the production company. Routh is a fruit.

Save Superman!

and welling is a boy...

CaptainAmerica
Welling is 2 years older than Routh, and older than Reeve when he started Superman.

TheFilmProphet
Yet he still looks 17 and at least 7 years younger than Reeve and Routh.

Wickerman
Routh looks like he's about to have a seizure and welling looks like he's always high on crack. But that won't change the fact that Routh's playing him and that Welling's not.

~wickerman~

CaptainAmerica
I like the way you guys think, you're not satisfied with anything. I can't stand the sight of Routh, so it seems I must pick a side. Welling looks like a pretty good Superman.

alexanderluthor
Originally posted by pr1983
and welling is a boy...

despite i don't like what you say.... it's true, i was watching an episode from the first season, and he looked like a 14 year old kid, even if his face has mature a little bit, he still looks like a boy, not a man, but i think that's not the reason to scre# superman, they should've waited a couple of years, cause this routh doesn't look at all like superman, but welling would do a better superman in a fwe years. yes

Zod4Life
Of course it's Welling but we'll have to deal with Routh until we see Tom as Superman on Smallville.

TheFilmProphet
Originally posted by alexanderluthor
they should've waited a couple of years, cause this routh doesn't look at all like superman, but welling would do a better superman in a fwe years. yes

A few more years? He is already 27 years old, he isn't going to look more like Superman anytime soon, all you can wait for now is for him to gain wrinkles.

CaptainAmerica
We need more people like you. There are so many heated Routh fanboys on this site it's hillarious.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0348150/board/threads/

TheFilmProphet
Now your calling me a "Routh fanboy" because I know Welling would not be a decent Superman? Personally I don't like either actor as Superman and the only "fanboy" here is you.

CaptainAmerica
Relax, the site I was referring to was the one I put up the link for.

pr1983
neither is fit to be superman, whether compared to reeve or not...

and as much as i hate to say this, half the people who watch smallville have never bothered to read a superman comic or watch the old movies... and have no idea what the hell they are talking about...

CaptainAmerica
I've seen all four Superman movies, watched a lot of cartoons, and read a few comics. One thing's for sure, he's always left up to interpretation.

pr1983
I've seen all four Superman movies, watched a lot of cartoons, and read a few comics. One thing's for sure, he's always left up to interpretation.

i said half, not all stick out tongue

TheFilmProphet
laughing out loud

alexanderluthor

and as much as i hate to say this, half the people who watch smallville have never bothered to read a superman comic or watch the old movies... and have no idea what the hell they are talking about...

trust me Scott! i have read comics, and i've watched the old movies. Actually i just watched supermanII last saturday, and man! there is not going to be another (real) superman. watching christopher reeve flying still outside a window in one of the floors of the planet as he asks general zod "excuse me, would you step outside please!" or something like that(i'm sorry i don't recall, but it was in spanish) just made my day. then i thought that routh or welling, cage, bloom, depp none of those guys will ever be looked as superman by us.... the generation who saw a comic book character become real. sad

p.s. anyhow i still think welling is the best choice. reading

pr1983
trust me Scott! i have read comics, and i've watched the old movies. Actually i just watched supermanII last saturday, and man! there is not going to be another (real) superman. watching christopher reeve flying still outside a window in one of the floors of the planet as he asks general zod "excuse me, would you step outside please!" or something like that(i'm sorry i don't recall, but it was in spanish) just made my day. then i thought that routh or welling, cage, bloom, depp none of those guys will ever be looked as superman by us.... the generation who saw a comic book character become real. sad

p.s. anyhow i still think welling is the best choice. reading

i said half dammit... half... stick out tongue

reeve is the ultimate...

physically alex ross' superman is amazingly lifelike... hes the best template, he looks mature, looks like hes been to hell and back, and looks confident and powerful...

imo welling is none of those things...

alexanderluthor
i don't say you are wrong.... i totally agree with you(most of the time this is true) but imo i better take welling than routh, wadaya think?
beer

pr1983
i don't say you are wrong.... i totally agree with you(most of the time this is true) but imo i better take welling than routh, wadaya think?
beer

to be honest i dont like either of em...

routh seems like some perverted attempt to put a reeve clone onscreen...

as for welling, he is good in smallville, but he's awkward and shy, he isn't imposing like the real superman should be imo...

CaptainAmerica
routh looks like a pedophile

pr1983
routh looks like a pedophile

how can someone "look" like a peadophile?

alexanderluthor
how can someone "look" like a peadophile?

stick out tongue laughing Happy Dance

Jack Daniels
Routh was picked because of him being unknown clark kent dorkiness similarities etc...Welling with makeup would make MUCH better Superman...I say Makeup to hide a bit of his boyish look....smallville has been successful and they should have used that but welling really wouldnt fit the dorky clark of the original movies...smallville portrayed him kinda cool.....Clark Kent adult is a friggin dork to protect his identity......essential to protect his identity.....but still I give my vote to welling and Im sure my wife will also when she signs on.....oh and if there any charmed fans out there go to the charmed threads and post...lol....she rarely signs on here due to lack of charmed talk! Her sig is at least worth a few posts folks!(well at least for the guys...lol) her sig attached

Scoobless
who the hell is Routh? what else has he been in?.... what are the bets that he Hayden Christianson's up the role...... by that i mean "he f**ks up a part that others have played much better in past movies".....

Jack Daniels
routh=unknown... f#@&$ it up I do anticipate so but hey it might be worth renting...maybe? If they put DOOMSDAY in it I will go pay the theatre price! Otherwise its jinxed already i think...although I drink alot so I could be wrong...lol...

alexanderluthor
je je je i will be once they mess the imageif superman beer

Koto K
I would have rather seen Welling as Superman, but I'm not going to poo-poo Routh, at least until the movie is out. You can only judge a man by the way he looks so far. If he can pull off the way Superman acts, then cool.

However- I prefer the Welling portrayal of Clark, rather than the way Routh is apparently going to be portraying him (as an aloof, clutzy doofus basically) I never liked that Clark. I prefered the proper and profession yet modern Clark ala Lois and Clark, Smallville and the animated Superman. I don't like the idea of Clark being a dork. Why should he be?

Encicra
Somebody start an online petition. Welling has earned the role of Superman.

Koto K
Off topic a bit- I got a question about that sig Jack Daniels- Where'd you get the picture of the chick in the devil costume. Wouldn't mind having a larger version of it on hand, if you smell what I'm cookin?

Koto K
Found it, never mind.

The Last Son
I like Welling's costume at the beginning of this thread, however, Welling looks nothing like a grown-up. I think we need to give Routh more time until we see a preview. Probably sometime this fall. Until then, none of us should judge. Besides, Reeve and Routh look almost exactly alike as Clark Kent.

side note: Since when does Clark Kent have to act like a dork all the time. In the comics, he is a normal person. One thing about the old Superman movies I didn't like, was the fact that CK was a total dork and clumsy. He wasn't like that in Lois and Clark. I think Singer is going with the dorky Clark Kent.

i would of preferred Welling a lot more than Routh...i'm just used to Welling being him now and he just seems like superman...i think he plays the idealistc character pretty well on Smallville ...so now i completely associate him with superman

BB_hawk
A lot of people has been saying Welling look to young but what people forgoten is that they cut his hair to look young put makeup on him to look young and to make him look older cut his hair like Superman.

But don't get me wrong Welling would be my number 1 cast but Routh would be my number 2 cast as Superman and they also said Welling didn't what to play Superman that what his parents told me well they said they was his parents true story. Becouse he real superstition and you know what happen to Reeves.

jedi90

i have to agree with you on that. well i wouldn't say not fit, just, they could have found better IMO. James Caviezel was supposibly up for the role but singer said no. i think he would had been a good choice.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/06/images/040616iamdavid.jpghttp://www.actustar.com/photos/caviezeljames1.jpg

((The_Anomaly))
Well first off i reserve my judgement until i see routh play him onscreen. im pretty confident that he will play supes just fine. personally i would perfer Welling just cause im used to seeing him as clark. not to mention Tom is more physically bigger then routh, which is more superman like. yes welling looks boyish, but people have to realise that in smallville hes supposed to look like that, they use makeup to make him look a lot younger then he actually is. they could do the opposite to make him look older without a problem.

but either way im intrested in seeing the new movie.

draconigena
Just my two cents... feel free to ignore.

While I'm a fan of Smallville (in spite of how off and soap opera-like most of the plot is), and think that Welling is excellent as Clark... I'm not sure if he could pull off Superman. He's very boyish (and it's not just the makeup and haircut) and while that's fine for high school Clark Kent... it wouldn't work for Superman.

I'm glad Singer chose to go with an unknown, and since I've never seen Routh act (I believe he was in a few television shows) I'll save any real judgement until I see the movie.

However, I do agree with whoever it was that said that they thought Routh was an attempt at a Reeve clone. The first thing I noticed when he was announced and I saw his IMDb photo was that he looked quite a bit like Reeve. While that does mean that he has (at least imo) the perfect facial and body structure to play Superman, it's... creepy.

FistOfThe North
Welling would be perfect. I feel uncertain about Routh. He's not even built like Superman or Welling for that matter is. He looks like Superman the Supermodel with his lowcut lowrise underwear Superman wears.

I'm still not used to the burgundy colored cape. The color replaces all the red Superman originally has on his suit.

And Routh's ears, I think the director will use those flappers to have supes fly instead of sheer will.

Welling all the way..

Jedi Shmedi
Are we still even talking about this? We need to move on people.

FistOfThe North
i said half dammit... half... stick out tongue

reeve is the ultimate...

physically alex ross' superman is amazingly lifelike... hes the best template, he looks mature, looks like hes been to hell and back, and looks confident and powerful...

imo welling is none of those things...

No. Alex Ross's Supes is the ultimate. Reeves only had that face mostly, thats it, and maybe the attitude. Ross's is what I call the best looking Superman I have ever seen.

botcherby
I think Alex Ross is poor at capturing what a comic book superhero should look like... he draws them so friggn' old, and undefined.... they look like trash

.... Back up you haters..... back up

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by botcherby
I think Alex Ross is poor at capturing what a comic book superhero should look like... he draws them so friggn' old, and undefined.... they look like trash

.... Back up you haters..... back up

He draws 'im to realistically looking for you, eh.

To me, it looks like how Superman would really look in his prime in real life and you prefer the cartoony comic version, cool beans.

To each his own.

Jedi Priestess
Much as I love Welling I dont EVER want to see him as Supes. Just not right. no

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
Much as I love Welling I dont EVER want to see him as Supes. Just not right. no

Why not. He is Superman, just a little younger.

And did you know that Welling is 28 yrs old?

UniOmni
I wonder if people would defend Reeves as "the best" Superman if he hadn't died or been paralyzed. Cuz many reviews of the movies back then weren't impressed with him in the role. But when someone dies, or sad happens to them, many feel wrong to express honest opinions. Not saying if you liked Reeves in the role that means it was cause of guilt or pity, but just measure your thoughts honestly. Thats all. Truthfully, imo Reeves never captured the essence of Superman. Made a good attempt, but the role was bigger than he gave. Thats why i feel somethings should never be translated to the big screen. Cuz you just can't do some things justice.

botcherby
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
He draws 'im to realistically looking for you, eh.

To me, it looks like how Superman would really look in his prime in real life and you prefer the cartoony comic version, cool beans.

To each his own.

I do like the realism of it all, but in an action comic/ fight scene the undefined-ness of muscles just reduces the impact on readers. I prefer Alex ross on covers.

but yea as you said to each his own. smile

after watching the second superman returns trailer, I really think his voice suits the role of superman. I think he'll turn out better than I originally expected. looking at clark kent, I think the film is gonna have some fun in it, looking more silver age (? am I right in saying that? or is it golden age?). However hopefully the film won't have too much fun in it, otherwise it'd be as camp as the first superman film.

what I'm really concerned is Kevin for Lex. I really don't wanna see the idiot Gene Hackman Lex in SR. I want Birthright Lex :P a mean son of a female dog.

Super Kal El
Welling plays a great Clark "Farmboy" Kent and yes he looks as I can only imagine a real life Clark Kent would, Routh is an unkown but he seems to fill the superman costume well, besides its about acting skills not just the looks, Spacey for Lex is gonna rock, BTW is it true that Welling didnt wanna play the role of superman because of the "jinx/curse" of being seriously injured like Christopher Reeves?"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.