Old Skool Lightsaber Duels!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

exanda kane
Arent the OT duels great (apart from ANH). The PT duels are good to watch, but once you've seen them once, they all look the same.

The Ot duels were much more personal and darker. It's so cool to see two lightsabers in the dark!

ApolloX
The PT duels are much better IMO. OT duels are to slow.

Fishy
OT duels were different something special unique strange weird and it had something about it. Don't know what, it made it powerful and great to watch...

PT duels are far more flashy with more jumps and stuff like that.

ArthasKnight
The only OT duel I truly enjoyed was the Luke/Vader battle in ESB. My favorite from the PT is the Obi-Wan/Dooku battle. That will soon change once I see Ep III.

Fishy
The Luke/Vader duel in ESB was great, liked the ROTJ duel between them too, except for the end...

Darth_Janus
As much as I am a combat buff, the only PT battle I truly enjoyed was at the end of TPM. And even then I felt it was lacking. OT battles were simple, and slow, but had more depth. There was a dramatic element behind them. In the PT, you can tell who's gonna live or die. It's no toss up. The history has already been written.

umraan
they are all classics in their own way to me.

exanda kane
The PT duels are just toy commercials and after you've seen it once, they begin to lack imagination.

All of the duels are for show rather than for character, except for TPm where Maul has no character, and although I first bought the idea of the Old Republic Jedi all being expert swordmasters, the idea seems rather lacking in common sense now.

Darth_Janus
Originally posted by exanda kane
The PT duels are just toy commercials and after you've seen it once, they begin to lack imagination.

All of the duels are for show rather than for character, except for TPm where Maul has no character, and although I first bought the idea of the Old Republic Jedi all being expert swordmasters, the idea seems rather lacking in common sense now.

Care to explain that last part? I'm curious as to what changed your mind.

Darth Subjekt
Well I think it's fair to say it's easy to tell who was brought up on the OT vs the PT. Granted the PT duels are flashy and quick, they lack emotion to me. ALL of the OT duels had heavy emotion to them:

Ben vs Vader - Obvious, former master and apprentice after a near fatal fight.

Luke vs Vader (Bespin) - Father and son, last Jedi (basically) vs the ultimate Evil (up to that point). Vader knowing thats his son and showing massive restraint until Luke tags him in the shoulder.

Luke vs Vader (DS) - again father and son, both knowing it and neither one wanting to really hurt/kill the other, the fate of everything resting on this duel.

So they were slower and more brutal rather than being flashy and graceful, but THATS what a fight is....brutal.

The episode 2 duel just let me down tremendously. I know they wanted to wait til Ep 3 to showcase Anakin's ability, but what they did was garbage. The only saving grace was what they did with Yoda, and even that was lacking.

All in all, i have to say the OT is better in almost every aspect up to this point. Im sure my views will change after I see ROTS, but it's hardly a contest as to what movies are better, including the duels.

exanda kane
Exactly the kind of a comment I wanted . . . Ty
I just hope the E3 duels have more emotion to them.

Lucas has said that the PT duels are faster because they were trained to be swordmasters, but it seems more like a cover up because they wanted to go for a more visual approach in the PT, which lacks emotion. A bit like giving Maul a double bladed saber, altho its cool, they only done it to make him a bit more interesting . . .

OC2-tin-OC
Whats is Voda fight. Wherever I have seen he has failed and everybody writes a lot about his skill. Well he failed with Dooku. He failed with Sidious.. Why for God sake if he is the one of the most powerful ever.

The Ones
he didnt fail with dooku, dooku ran like a coward and made a distraction

Red Superfly
OT fights seem way more dangerous. Dunno why I think that, I think it's because the PT fights look way too choreographed, while the OT ones have a raw edge to them.

Not only that, but I think the saber sounds are way better in the OT. They sound really raw and bursting with energy everytime they clash.

I love Ben vs Vader. I don't see how thats any worse than Mace vs Palpatine, which I thought rocked. It's an old school fight, it isn't slow, I dunno where people got that from.

Theres some sort of clinical precision about the PT fights I just don't agree with.

Wanderer259
I recently watched the duel at the end of RotJ and it was better than I remember it being. That is, of course, until Vader finally pushed Luke over the edge; that's when the fight rolled, tumbled, and broke its spine on its way down the hill. It was ridiculous after that point. My friend argues that it's the emotional intensity and the idea of what's going on that counts, and I agree, but as a fight itself, it was poor.

atila the great
the best OT duel is luke/vader in ESB, vader/luke in ROTJ is good but not that good and obi/vader in ANH is just plain stupid

from the PT right now is like this:

QGJ & obi/ maul
mace/palpatine
yoda/dooku tie with yoda/sidious

mysterio69
well, i can't imagine robo-vader doing the things he could do before the suit, and luke wasn't extensively trained. luke was taught to use the force to "guide his actions" and if vader isn't doing any flashy stuff, more brute force, then luke just defends that, using the force and trys to get a few digs of his own in. vader is still strong with the dark side, but he's a shell of his former self.

Wanderer259
I don't know if we can say the fact that Vader is a cyborg has to do with anything considering General Grievous, who is even moreso a machine than Vader, is mobile as all get out. In fact, as part machine and with what we've already seen, it can be argued that Vader should be physically better and therefore both stronger and faster. But perhaps the fact that Vader's limbs are mechanical make him unable to move with the Force, which would severely limit his capability as a lightsaber duelist. Maybe I just stumbled on something there. Blah.

Red Superfly
It's absolutely laughable that Vader can't move as much as he used to.

As you said, General Grievous puts that theory out the window. Vader is Grievous, only with the force. That makes him pretty damn unstoppable.

If being mechanical would handicap the person, then why the hell did they design Grievous to be so damn nimble?

As far as Vader goes, he's is over-powerred in the OT. He barely breaks a sweat against Obi-Wan, who has become weaker anyway. Why would Vader need to bust a move when he could just overpower him anyway?

ESB - Vader does move pretty fast. Again, he is really just toying with Luke.

ROTJ - Vader is again pretty fast. He was alreday starting to have his judgement clouded, so an attack from Luke clearly knocked him off guard, even though the fight should have really taken the combat to the next level.

The OT fights were also more interesting to watch. Every saber clash seemed to mean something, like it really was blocking deadly blow after blow. Now it just seems like random noise over a dance in the PT, with AOTC having the worst saber fights to date.

mikkosison_360
I noticed that the PT fights had like background orchestra music in it, the OT fights KINDA had music in it, but not as loud as the PT's. Also, I heard a rumor that they started to consult Japanese/Chinese "sword arts" in PT, while OT battles were just a rough. I'm not sure what I'm saying but is this true?

BigDaddyWindu
all the ot duels sucked and id rather shove a spoon up my ass then watch them, they were not exciting at all and slow and were greatly outdone by the duels in pt, the pt duels were so much faster and exciting, there is nothing good about the ot duels once u watch the pt duels

and did anyone notice how dath vader looks like a robot when hes fighting, i know he has a robotic arm and two robotic legs but his limbs dont look like the move seperately from each other, that just made me mad the way he faught. although he was like 50 years old and dying, theres no way he could go from the darth vader that faught obi wan at the end of episode 3 to the darth vader in anh. its becuz hes older but hes boring to watch when hes old.

Swanky-Tuna
Originally posted by Red Superfly
It's absolutely laughable that Vader can't move as much as he used to.

As you said, General Grievous puts that theory out the window. Vader is Grievous, only with the force. That makes him pretty damn unstoppable.
Uhhh... but Grievous was just the organs riding in a robot body. He has robot strength lifting his robot limbs. Vader has to use his natural thigh muscles to lift his robot legs and his natural biceps to lift his robot arms.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.