Similarities between Arda and Earth

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

mors823
There are a few things that I noticed in LotR that are similar to our world. First off, Melkor and Lucifer have a similar back round. Both were very powerful that turned evil. Also, the final battle between Manwe and Morgoth sounds like Judgment Day.
Another thing is how Numeanor is like Atlantis; powerful kingdoms that were swallowed by the sea.

Feel free to post any thoughts on these and other similarities.

sauron
manwe doesnt 'fight' melkor

he simply commands those that do

turin kills melkor

Exa
At least Morgoth curses Turins sword ^^

... Well, NW-ME looks like europe, Southerland like Africa. Its round, it has an aequator-thing, it has absolutely similar climatic zones, there are living things on it, there are totally similar living things on it, there are the same plants on it, both are called earth, both have the same gravity, both have sun and moon, both work the same way... yea... actually, they are the same...

Smodden
Similarities?...dude, they're the same thing..arda and earth...just dif names...big grin....i'm not crazy m:e DOES exist...in my head

but seriously...
the southrons seem like indian...middle=eastern people to me..or maybee egyptian/african(by the way i love ancient egypt and learn everything i can on it..smile)

Elves wild men are kinda neanderthall types..umm...

Gandalf is a wizard
Bilbo is a hobbit

sauron
but they cant be

becase if valinor is on earth then the ainur who is the sun would destroy us all if he ent there

we would melt

Smodden
aniur are the sun?

i thought the sun and moon were made out of some fruit or something?

Exa

sauron
exactly

i coulndt remember the name so i said THE AINUR

because he is one of the ainur

cant go wrong stick out tongue

Exa
hehee She not He stick out tongue

However
I think its also interesting that in the beginning earth was not ballshaped but flat... and the sun is circulating round the earth... ehem?

mors823
The world was flat? Sounds like ancient astronomy here.

sauron
i meant she lol

i just missed the s

embarrasment yes..thats rihgt

Exa
lol stick out tongue

Flat? Yea it was... until the gods changed that stick out tongue and made it round... "a straight road went westward, now all roads are crooked" (litterally)
... as does the fact that Imbar, the World, is the centre of the universe stick out tongue and the stars are also round the world... and there are several spheres big grin though the stars arent fixed on the spheres like Aristoteles' and Ptolemaius' ideas of how the universe thing works

Smodden
*brain hurts*

Exa
Heheee aww stick out tongue big grin laughing out loud

shadowy_blue
Yes. Since Tolkien heavily based Middle-earth upon certain events, places, and peoples of our world, many similarities would exist. One similarity was the dread caused by war. The reactions of the Rohirrim and the Gondorians are similar to our reactions because we are all human. We all share certain characteristics and personality traits that make us act in very similar ways. You cannot say the same thing about the Elves, though. They are a "humanoid" race, ergo we would share some characteristics, but not as many as we share with our counterparts, the Edain. They react to situations differently, because that is how they were "made," as a race. They were intended to react differently, ergo, they do.

Also, the social and political structure of Rohan and Gondor, resemble the feudal structure of medieval times.

shadowy_blue
The Rohirrim resemble the Goths in their largely unsettled horse-raising lifestyle (and have more Goth-y names during their early history), the Normans in their military tactics and hardware, but the Anglo-Saxons in their later names (eg. Eomer who was a Saxon assassin).

The Elves have languages based on Finnish (Quenya) and Welsh (Sindarin) and are distantly related to the Sidhe of Irish legend. However, they are also great city builders (at least the Noldor) like the Romans etc.

The Numenoreans resemble Egyptians with their whole tomb-obsession thing, the Romans again in their empire-building episodes, the legend of Atlantis in Numenor itself and perhaps the Byzantines by the end of the 3rd age, being the remenants of a once-great empire, though bizarrely Faramir and Boromir's names appear to be Polish in form.

The Dwarves have Viking names (and so, of course, does Gandalf), though these were apparently based on mannish names from the Dale area, as Dwarves keep their real names secret.

The Hobbits remind one of rural or Edwardian and Victorian England, they're too peaceful but have some quite advanced technology (clocks, umbrellas, etc.).

Also, the Angerthas and Tengwar alphabets are slightly modified versions of Saxon runic and scriptic alphabets.

FreddieFreeload
Much as Suaron doesn't fight the people of Gondor and Rohan, he just commands those that do.

Precisely!!! I've seen tonnes of people who speculate that either Tolkien or Jackson are racists instead of realizing the obvious truth: That there just were no black people in that part of the world at that time.

mors823
Mumikil look to be warlike versions of elephants. The Haradrum seem like Hannibal leading their elephants to war against a technologically advance opponent.

sauron
yes FVJ the difference is sauron DID fight some people in first age...then alot of people in second stick out tongue

manwe never fights, hes just boring

Fëanor
I second that quote...All the live long day he just sits there listening to poetry and song from Ingwe Malmstein...haha

Manwe: Ooh! Can you sing me that song you wrote the other day? Ingwe my favoritest of all the elves.

Ingwe: Why sure o' great and most powerful one who I'm sure by now has butt sore from sitting far longer than most can endure Manwe. stick out tongue

shaber
Tolkein's theodicy is alot like Milton's (with the angels...)

shaber
Numenor is Atlantis.

sauron
manwes ass bone is just powder its been ground down lol

Fëanor
laughing

mixed with sweat it becomes pasty...hence the reason for his not rising from his throne...HE'S STUCK!!! stick out tongue

FreddieFreeload

FreddieFreeload

shaber
Yavannah's trees are Yggdrasil.

shadowy_blue
bump! big grin

The forum is being very inactive lately. sad I just thought this is an interesting topic. big grin

Discos
I would have foguth Valinor would have resmble atlantis

Agent Elrond
forgot about this thread. I made this away back. Can't think of anything else though.

Agent Elrond
If you have the DVD, on the 2nd disc is a Nation Geographic show that tells the similarieies between characters and events in RotK and real life. I got to watch it.

ladygrim
i watched that show on telly very cool tho i watched the one in early hours of the morning then found out it was reapeaated the nxt day at a resonable time oops

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.