REVEIW: Opeth-My Arms, Your Hearse

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Tptmanno1

Alpha Centauri
Quite a lame review really.

No offense.

You shouldn't be comparing Opeth to Tool. They're their own band, POSSIBLY (very), as good in their own right. Nobody can do what Tool do for me PERSONALLY but that doesn't get in the way of the fact that in terms of musicianship they can and have been beat. Not by many, but they have. Opeth are quite possibly one of those.

And Opeth aren't Hardcore.

Metallica meets Avenged Sevenfold? What album did you listen to?

-AC

Ou Be Low hoo
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Quite a lame review really.

I think you just don't get it, AC. I think Tptmanno1 intended the 'review' to be considered ironic. It's obviously too bad to be a real review, right Tpt?

Alpha Centauri
Well he wrote the review.

I hardly strolled into the thread thinking "Hahaha this is gonna be an ironic joke review."

-AC

Ou Be Low hoo
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Well he wrote the review.

I hardly strolled into the thread thinking "Hahaha this is gonna be an ironic joke review."

Oh, I agree. That's the greatness of his irony...so unexpected!

Darth Revan

Cinemaddiction
First and foremost, Opeth is prog rock, and in the same category as Tool. Not the same league, persay. That said, you picked a shitty album by which to judge the band. I'm not a fan, but this being Opeth's literal tribute or foray into Cradle of Filth territory, I wouldn't have picked it.

I'm not much of an Opeth fan, not at all frankly, but "Damnation", IMO is their best album, and it's a concept album which totally defies anything else they've ever done.

Afro Cheese
Yeah but Damnation itself is an experimental album and doesn't really reflect the majority of their work. I like Damnation too though.

I'd say Opeth are sorta like a fusion between prog and death metal.

Deathblow
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
That said, you picked a shitty album by which to judge the band.

Not at all, I am a fan, and MAYH is definitely one of my favorite albums of theirs.

Also, I wouldn't call them prog rock indefinitely, and they're not that similar to Tool. They are at least 45% death metal.

They're also the only band I like more than Tool.

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by Deathblow
Not at all, I am a fan, and MAYH is definitely one of my favorite albums of theirs.

Also, I wouldn't call them prog rock indefinitely, and they're not that similar to Tool. They are at least 45% death metal.

They're also the only band I like more than Tool.

I thought having been here for over a year now, being one of the most outspoken members on this forum, you would have known I am speaking out of opnion. That said, would you rate Soundgarden by one of their B side albums? Nope. Korn on a cover album? Don't think so. So why Opeth on an experimental album?

Deathblow
Yes...I really can't think of anyone who isn't speaking out of opinion here.

I fail to see your point here. MAYH is one of Opeth's best, and I believe it's generally a fan favorite. It's also been given more positive reviews than anyother one of their albums, so no, it's not a shitty choice, nor is it an album of B-sides or covers.

Also, experimental? Don't mean to sound rude, but have you heard any other Opeth albums? The only major musical difference between this and any of the others is that it's generally heavier and darker, neither of which constitutes an experimental album. Quite the contrary infact, if anything, this is classic Opeth.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.