wolverine's skeleton

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

leonidas
all right. it came up in a discussion i had with someone that wolverine's neck can't be broken. in the infamous spidey v wolverine one shot, wolvie admits that spidey can kill him, but only if he uses his strength to break his neck. 'bang. fight over, you win.' (wolvie's words, not mine)

according to the only picture of his skeleton that i've ever seen (the original marvel handbook) his neck is NOT laced with adamantium. only stands to reason - there's only vertebrae and cartilege. to lace his spine and neck you'd need to insert a continual strip through bone AND cartilege and of course then wolvie wouldn't be able to bend. according to the handbook, its only his longitudinal bones that are laced - the bones that are long and not interrupted by cartilege ie femur, fibula, ulna, etc . . .

so . . . his neck CAN be broken. now i've not read a lot in the last 2 years, and didn't know if some NEW version of his skeleton has come out (i know he was stripped by magneto and had it reinserted but is it the same as it was?) but even if it HAS, i don't see how his neck can be laced because of the cartilege, so it must STILL be able to be broken.

thoughts?

Draco69
Wolvie's bones are completely laced with adamantium....except for his joints. Otherwise Logan would not be able to move. In Astonishing X-Men #8 Danger dislocated Logan's knee.

leonidas
<<Wolvie's bones are completely laced with adamantium....except for his joints. Otherwise Logan would not be able to move. In Astonishing X-Men #8 Danger dislocated Logan's knee.>>

your and spine and neck ARE joints (okay, perhaps better to state they are a series of joints since each vertebra articulates with the vertebra above it and below it). hence his neck (and spine presumably) CAN be broken. wolvie fanboys are not going to like that . . .

armandovalles
dude, his entire skeleton is laced with adamantium. Joints are not bones, there the space between bones that let u move, how could u lace something that's not there. And about that spidey-wolvie one shot. NEVER believe what it says in one shots, NEVER.

armandovalles
wolverine's spine is laced with adamantium, but not laced as one piece, they laced each individual piece separately.

Draco69
Actually it's cartlilage. But anyhoo read Astonishing X-Men #8. Danger dislocated Wolverine's kneecap with a single punch. The same could happen to his neck.

armandovalles
dude, dislocating ur neck is not a big deal to him. his healing factor would kick in to keep him from being paralized while he puts it back into place.

Draco69
True. But I'm not saying it would kill him. I'm saying that dislocation is possible. And since AoA Cyclops blasted Wolvie's hand off at the joints....

armandovalles
yea, dislocation is possible, but it is not possible to break his back, other than for Magneto and some cosmics.

Ming Tea!
His back was broken by Xavier in an Exiles comic but as I always say, don't count those comics as canon.

leonidas
<<wolverine's spine is laced with adamantium, but not laced as one piece, they laced each individual piece separately.>>

????

er, 'dude', it wouldn't matter if each individual vertebra were MADE of adamantium - the stuff holding each of those pieces together is not. it could not be or he would be unable to bend! think of a whole bunch of blocks of steel each held to each other by bubble gum. its not the steel that needs to worry, not the steel that's the weak link, it's the gum! if i pull hard enough that gum is gonna break/pull away and what are you left with - wolvie's spine/neck in two or more pieces.

oh, and one shots are no more or less consistent than 'regular' books. that's something that is greatly overblown on this forum.

dude. smile

armandovalles
yea, but his healing factor can heal his vertebrae!

Wickerman
Go here: http://www.worth1000.com/entries/56000/56496DjLI_w.jpg

His joints are indeed not laced with it, cause well...that would be impossible. However, as you can see, the joints are very small. The space between the bones i mean. Technically one could cut his hand off. However, that would have to be an incredibly accurate shot with something very thin and with a very sharp edge.

~wickerman~

jinzin
his entire skeleton is bonded at the molecular level...I really don't see what's so hard about that....if it took ALLLLL of Hulks strength to pop one vertebre out of place what chance does spidey have?

Wickerman
Originally posted by jinzin
his entire skeleton is bonded at the molecular level...I really don't see what's so hard about that....if it took ALLLLL of Hulks strength to pop one vertebre out of place what chance does spidey have?

Pretty much next to none i'd say. I mean it's not like Logan would just sit on his ass waiting.

~wickerman~

Swanky-Tuna
Originally posted by jinzin
That's just crap writing though. Why would Hulk have trouble ripping Wolverine's cartilage and ligaments? The connecting tissues aren't adamantium.

leonidas
it's basically an irreconcilable problem for any wolverine fan. it makes no sense whatsoever. it's something we are supposed to attribute to 'comicbook' logic. but, problem is, most comic book logic is regulated and checked WITHIN the comic books themselves. wolverine's skeleton defies even THIS 'logic'. i can suspend disbelief in regards to his senses, claws, healing, greater than human strength - all of it - except his skeleton.

Evory
did you read snikt Nr. 5, in this comic his whole hand is laced with adamantium.
ive got a pic and up it as soon as i can

lft4ded
Though it occurred in a 'What If?', Conan dislocated one of Wolverine's vertebre, and while he eventually recovered, by that time he had apparently suffered (irrevocable?) brain damage. He was using a sword though.

IIRC.

mr.smiley
In the original apperance of adamantium (even before wolverine),not even thors hammer could put a dent in it.Thats some serious metal.
I don't think spidey would have a chance unless he got a major strength upgrade

Wickerman
Originally posted by leonidas
it's basically an irreconcilable problem for any wolverine fan. it makes no sense whatsoever. it's something we are supposed to attribute to 'comicbook' logic. but, problem is, most comic book logic is regulated and checked WITHIN the comic books themselves. wolverine's skeleton defies even THIS 'logic'. i can suspend disbelief in regards to his senses, claws, healing, greater than human strength - all of it - except his skeleton.

The way i see it BONDED is completely different from LACED. Laced implies a coating of adamantium over the bones. Bonded implies that molecules of Adamantium cover molecules of bone, turning basically not just working as an armor for the bones but rather protecting them even on the inside.

Also, as to the joints, and tendond and such, although it's stated that only his skeleton is bonded with adamantium, an unlikely (but working) explanation would be that his tendons and cartilage are bonded also but in another manner, making it much more maneuverable. Imagine i dunno...something like Omega Red's tentacles but made of Adamantium and on a much much smaller scale.
That would provide the invulnerability AND the mobility

~wickerman~

niteshade
well here is one for you. in the big cross over when strife attacked prof-x and mad it look like cable did it wolvie, bishop and gambit was fighting apokalips boys wolvie took a pritty heavy hit and to alot of ppls surprise and a big typo bishop asked wovlie if he was ok his reply was "yeh it just broke some ribs ". big typo some one realy screwed up. in a later ishue the wrighters tryed to fix it by seaying they ment it felt like his ribs got broke.

a little of topic but intresting

shadow12
Originally posted by Wickerman
The way i see it BONDED is completely different from LACED. Laced implies a coating of adamantium over the bones. Bonded implies that molecules of Adamantium cover molecules of bone, turning basically not just working as an armor for the bones but rather protecting them even on the inside.

Also, as to the joints, and tendond and such, although it's stated that only his skeleton is bonded with adamantium, an unlikely (but working) explanation would be that his tendons and cartilage are bonded also but in another manner, making it much more maneuverable. Imagine i dunno...something like Omega Red's tentacles but made of Adamantium and on a much much smaller scale.
That would provide the invulnerability AND the mobility

~wickerman~
y didn't u just say it was fused

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.