What are humans capable of if we were to use %100 of our brain capacity.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
I've heard of men talk about humans using like 3% of brain inteligence but I say we've been capable of alot despite our mishaps and imperfections as humas beings.

But I just want to know from the masses.

What can humans be capable of if we were to use 75% to 100% of our brain capacity.

Would we posses superhuman powers and/or strengths, use telepathy, live longer lives or possibly and incredibly enough build incredible mechanics/technology that's beyond our current imaginations. Or not.

You tell me.

BackFire
http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percnt.htm

Alpha Centauri
Regardless of how much we use, if we could use it all, we'd be able to do absolutely incredible, astounding things. Considering what our minds can do now anyway.

-AC

lil bitchiness
We would look retarded most probably. With absolute knowledge and wisdom and we would just be sitting by the computer or chair with the drool coming down our faces. But we would be all ultra smart.

dark1365
It would come in handy if we were ever attacked by a superior race other than our own.

Damn I have been playing Halo 2 much...

hotsauce6548
I would finally be able to find out what my Living Skills teacher is saying when he talks real fast... because he does--talk real fast I mean. Nobody can understand him.

Oh yeah, and we would look like this. geek

Sad, really.

BackFire
For those who didn't click on the link, the "We only use 10% of our brain" statement is a myth, it's false. We use our whole brain, just not at the same time.

hotsauce6548
Oh, well, I guess I will never understand my Living Skills teacher...

What a shame... whistle

(Anyway, how do you know that's true. Are you going to believe it just because whoever wrote that said it isn't true?)

FistOfThe North
It's probably just blog.. I think we humas are much more smarter that humans from the past..Look at our technologies and compare them to past exacts.

BackFire
Originally posted by hotsauce6548
Oh, well, I guess I will never understand my Living Skills teacher...

What a shame... whistle

(Anyway, how do you know that's true. Are you going to believe it just because whoever wrote that said it isn't true?)

It's been scientifically proven, more or less.

Filth
Knowing humanity (this is considering the 10% bull s**t was true which its not) they would just use there great intelligence to find new and exciting ways of having sex......

Jedi_KnightAlly
lol, since the arrival of steam power, we've taken off... If you notice over the last couple of 100 years we've been excelleing ourselves. I doubt they were less intelligent... just less knowledgeable.

Clavis
but if we use our entire brain at the same time wouldnt that make us... pop? confused

Darth Revan

FeceMan
Well, I clicked on this thread ready to completely obliterate any and all who believed this myth with impunity...but Backfire beat me to it.

Alpha Centauri
Well it's not totally inaccurate.

We don't use it all because we can't yet. Not at the same time.

It amazes me that people so fascinated with how the brain works and discovering what it's capable of, are the same people who think magic mushrooms are evil. Weird considering they're the best catalyst for discovering what your brain is capable of.

Brains are good.

-AC

Jackie Malfoy
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
I've heard of men talk about humans using like 3% of brain inteligence but I say we've been capable of alot despite our mishaps and imperfections as humas beings.

What can humans be capable of if we were to use 75% to 100% of our brain capacity.

Would we posses superhuman powers and/or strengths, use telepathy, live longer lives or possibly and incredibly enough build incredible mechanics/technology that's beyond our current imaginations. Or not.

You tell me.

No I do not thlink we would have power or anything like that.We maybe very smart and gifted through and be able to do some good work.jm smile

moviejunkie23
ask jesus

debbiejo
It's probably just blog.. I think we humas are much more smarter that humans from the past..Look at our technologies and compare them to past exacts.

Who knows, maybe the humans from past destroyed themselves from not applying wisdom to their knowledge.

And yea...lol..maybe we would pop...what a visual. eek!

hotsauce6548
Perhaps that myth started because, as Backfire said, we do not use 100% of our brain at one time.

That would make the question of this topic a reasonable one. yes

Darth Revan

BackFire
Absolutely.

It's innacurate in the way it's eluded to, most of the time. People say "Hey, we only use 10 percent of our brain" thinking that we only use a total of 10 percent in our entire life, while never ever using the other 90 percent, which is factually false.

We do use our whole brain, just in segments. As DR says, to use our entire brain at once would be pointless and you'd have to be doing all sorts of wierd shit at the same time in order to do that.

Alpha Centauri
Yeah......like I said.

You pretty much agreed with me. Don't see why I was quoted. I said either way, we don't use it all coz we can't. Simultaneously anyway.

I believe the experience is much more than Revan described it as though.

-AC

Big Evil
I remember someone saying we use all 100% just never at the same time. I didn't believe that anyway..

I think we'd die, there's a reason we only use on average 10%. The intenssity of our soul's conciounce is so great that we psychokineticaly supress it so as not to eradicate our weak flesh.

You forget, we're beings of energy.

T.M

Darth Revan
Originally posted by Big Evil
I remember someone saying we use all 100% just never at the same time. I didn't believe that anyway..

What's your reasoning for not believing that?

BackFire
Originally posted by T.M
thats true.

if we only used 10% then we would have evolved and would have got rid of the other 90% because it isnt needed yes

BackFire i was going to meantion the thing on Snopes lol thats a good website yes

Yeah it is, so much interesting shit on that site.

FeceMan
The origins on the myth began because approximately 10% of the brain has specific, known functions (Broca's area, amygdala, etc.) that are...well, they 'light up' when in use. However, the extra space is not something you want to start lesioning at random.

Shadwofathought
Maybe it was just an insult "that guy only uses about 10% of his brain" stick out tongue

There are times when you start really multi-tasking that your brain "picks up the pace" a little. But to say we only use 10%? maybe when we are sleeping. I liked the information on the link, very helpful. I also agree with the comment on getting shot in the head "well it only hit the unused portion, so you're fine (as the kid is drooling on himself)".
However, we have no idea what function tonsils or the appendix have, yet evolution hasn't phased them out yet. So that arguement doesn't really stand up too well. But to believe that only 10% of your brain is used ever... rediculous

FeceMan
Tonsils aid in preventing disease, as does the appendix. They aren't vital, but that is what they do.

Grand Moff Gav

You tell me.

the ide of full human brain power leads to a path some consider unnatural

dave123
We'd die of extreme migrane pain

debbiejo
If we'd all use all of our brains, we wouldn't need words to communicate. No need for doctors either...

If we could talk to the animals..talk to the animals..wonder wonder what they'd have to say..... eek!

RedAlertv2
How would getting smarter help us talk to animals that are incapable of speaking?

debbiejo
Use your imagination...Telepathy...It would come into play if we used 100% of our brain wouldn't it? I think so.

Darth Revan
No, because we already do use 100% of our brain and it doesn't. Besides, why do people automatically connect this idea with psychic powers? confused

FeceMan
Originally posted by Darth Revan
No, because we already do use 100% of our brain and it doesn't. Besides, why do people automatically connect this idea with psychic powers? confused
'Cause we want to believe we are more than the pathetic sacks of flesh that we are?

BlackC@t
Originally posted by Darth Revan

Because using that much of our brain, we would know how to channel our thoughts and use different types of energy.

debbiejo
True, true very true.

Darth Revan
And where in the name of Jesus and all that is Holy do people get this idea from? What proof have you that these "energies" even exist? The thing about psychic powers is, at some point, somebody made them up.

Feceman's answer was better. yes

debbiejo
^ From science. Quantum physics...Wave theory...

Darth Revan
Link?

debbiejo
Well, there is a lot out there, but this will give you an idea...

http://twm.co.nz/ind3.html

debbiejo
This one will give you a brief view..http://twm.co.nz/holoUni.html

ragesRemorse
First of all many scientists agree that Humans use far more than 10% of our brains. However, the human brain is still much of a mystery to us. I'm sure telepathy would be possible to some extent. I personally doubt we would be much different. Many people dont use their brains now, i dont think that would change just because their would be more to use Einstien believed though, that humans could be capable of such things as telepathy and telekinesis.

Atlantis001
I wonder how they calculate the percentage of our brain that is used ! It looks so subjective.

Mha8649
Well even if we do use 100 percent of our brains . what does that mean?
I see people use 100 percent of there computers and still have to ask questions... just because we can use it doesnt mean we no how?
If you don't believe me meet some of my ex's lol.
Oh and to alpha amen to that. evil face

Evil Dead
I never understood what "telepathy" had to do with brain usage? Our brains would have to have some sort of signal cells and receptor cells for this abiltiy........transmitter and reciever..........which are not present, no matter what percentage of brain power we use.

Strangelove
Originally posted by BackFire
For those who didn't click on the link, the "We only use 10% of our brain" statement is a myth, it's false. We use our whole brain, just not at the same time. The myth is disproven by the fact that we don't use the brain for thought alone. We use it to see, to breath, to remember, express emotion, feel pain, regulate body functions.

Now, the thought that we don't use all of the thought center of the brain is an intriguing one

Akira99
Anyone seen that film Akira? Well the manga would give better info.
I think it answers this question quite well.
I reckon the next stage of human evolution would involve people using telepathy and telekinesis and such - empathy perhaps? We are currently pushing the limit of our current stage the homo sapiens. We are begging to break free. In Akira a bike gang boy has electricity sent through his brain with salt water causing a chain reaction in his DNA drawing on ALL the memories of his evolution for millions of years since there were 1 celled amoebas - as a result he has the power of an amoeba - eat anything that gets in its way. In other words the power of a God.
Fascinating question. I would say more but the post would be like 5 pages long

Fire
well everyone would probably have some form of savant syndrom or maybe we would become telepathic or get telekinetic powers

Evil Dead
and once again.......I would like to know how someone arrives at this conclusion.

we're talking about a phyisiological occurance......telepathy, telekenesis.......whatever. You are stating your brain can send neuro-signals to interact with other objects outside of the brain...................with what transmitter cells? Our brains have none.

Fire
dude, I have no way of proving this, hence I said MAYBE.
I didn't state it as a fact. But if you have a way of proving that it WON'T happen, then you might be right. But I still think it COULD happen stick out tongue

Evil Dead
you're a moron.

you readily admit you just made up some magical fantastic claim with no reasoning behind it..........based on absolutely nothing, furthermore, a claim that would require physiology the human body is not known to have........actual organs to carry out the magical task you propose.......

you then top of this tripe with "okay....prove a negative".. I guess you haven't made it to 7th grade yet to learn it is physically impossible to prove a negative. For something to be proven fact it must leave physical evidence or recordable data.........if it does not exist, it cannot leave physical evidence or recordable data to prove itself non-existant...........hence the burden of proof being put on all positive assertions.

Fire
yea I admitted I based this on absolutely no facts, since it is a what if thread it leaves room for fantasy or thought without proof in my book.

I know the human body doesn't have the organs it needs to perform those tasks. Yet who are you to say it will never develop those organs. Or who knows we might already have them without anyone knowing. Small chance but not impossible.

It is indeed impossible to proof a negative, but it is part of a philosophy that I adhere to that states that nothing is certain, not in the future and also not in the present.

So it is impossible to say it will never happen.

Bardock42
Well, actually telepathy could be possible in a very developed brain if you just see it as following and miming the thoughts of another person....

Fire
didn't think of it like that

Dr. Zaius
You would get Dr. Zaius. cool

FoxMeister
WE COULD ALL BE LIKE DAVID BLAIN!!!! Hopefully not talk like him.
I wouldnt wanna sound like i was half dead and lacking sleep

Akira99
11% Brain power - the incomplete meagre humans we are currently
25% Capable of sensing people, can memorise books on one reading, can see everytihng 3 seconds before they happen and run at 70km/h
40% Capable of lifting a shopping trolley and a bicycle in it off the ground using your mind, capable of telepathically speaking to people and sensing people's emotions with great accuracy. Psychometric powers - touch a pen and mentally see who had it last. A weight lifter could lift 20 tonnes. An engineer could make a super computer using psychokinesis out of the materials required
60% Capable of meditating and foreseeing events years in advance, creating a shield of energy capable of deflecting bullets, can create illusions, appear invisible, run faster than a cheetah ot a train and manipulating energy e.g. fire into electricity etc
80% Capable of teleporting, moving buildings with ones mind, flying at speeds faster than an airliner, telepathically communicating with thousands of people at once and generally multi-tasking tons of stuff at same time
100% Can blow up cities using ones mind like Dr. Grey in X-Men and move at hypersonic speeds and deflect tank missiles and mind control every human in world
Thats the mind of a typical romantic who is fascinated at the idea that humans are not so pathetic. If we have so much potential maybe dogs could learn to talk too!

souvinir
we would be super human

Akira99
Well that description would count for a human with S-Class or Level 5 potential. And since most humans are probably E or D-class potentials it naturally does not count for much

xmarksthespot
%100 of our brain capacity simultaneously?

A severe generalised seizure.

FoxMeister
I think that gradually we will get smarter and smarter until we colapse under our own knowledge and people with weak necks will die because our heads are too big. Or because we arent aware of the full potential of our brain power we will get dumber.

LordFear
I think if we could tap into our full mental potential, we would literally be gods!!!!! I think we could begin to understand God on a more personal level but I am sure that other parts of our personalities would suffer tremendously

Storm
We use our entire brains. Every part of the brain is known to have a function. Only about 10 % of the neurons in the brain are firing at any given time. However, if all neurons of the brain were generating action potentials at the same time, it is highly likely to result in dysfunction. You would not become smarter, but instead suffer an epileptic seizure.

LordFear
Originally posted by Storm
We use our entire brains. Every part of the brain is known to have a function. Only about 10 % of the neurons in the brain are firing at any given time. However, if all neurons of the brain were generating action potentials at the same time, it is highly likely to result in dysfunction. You would not become smarter, but instead suffer an epileptic seizure.

Research has actually been conducted that supports the notion that we do not use 100% of our brains. These are researchs that are out there.
Neurological studies have also shown that there exists regions of the brain that are completely uncharted. Furthermore studies on people termed "gifted or genius" have shown that these people not only have an increase amount of neurons and quicker synaptic activity but also stimulate regions of their brains that are considered dormant in the average person.

Regret
Originally posted by LordFear
Research has actually been conducted that supports the notion that we do not use 100% of our brains. These are researchs that are out there.
Neurological studies have also shown that there exists regions of the brain that are completely uncharted. Furthermore studies on people termed "gifted or genius" have shown that these people not only have an increase amount of neurons and quicker synaptic activity but also stimulate regions of their brains that are considered dormant in the average person.

I am not aware of these studies, and one of my interests is physiological psychology. Do you have a link or reference supporting this idea?

In my experience, the neurons in the brain die off if they are not used, a phenomena known as Synaptic Pruning or sometimes referred to as neural Darwinism. This denies the idea of the brain having areas that are naturally dormant. Dormancy sometimes occurs following a stroke or in cerebral palsy as a result of lack of oxygen to those areas, but even this results in cell death of neurons if not repaired.

Uncharted does not equal unused.

Punkyhermy
Not much. The inherent limitations within ourselves and the way this will be a hindrance when it comes to wanting to reach for the great heights that in this case is mere imposibilty. We have a 5 senses with which to explore this universe of ours...Think how much will remain in veils until the end of time. erm

Gregory
Originally posted by souvinir
we would be super human

The Prophecy
You know when it comes to science we are not ALWAYS right. We don't even know all the mysteries of our own planet or even what we as humans are capable of. Then when it comes to our universe ...............yeah .......we don't even know what's out there besides other stars galaxys,etc.You know I also heard that there was some type of Institute for Super-Physic Children In China.

Kinneary
Originally posted by Regret
I am not aware of these studies, and one of my interests is physiological psychology. Do you have a link or reference supporting this idea?

In my experience, the neurons in the brain die off if they are not used, a phenomena known as Synaptic Pruning or sometimes referred to as neural Darwinism. This denies the idea of the brain having areas that are naturally dormant. Dormancy sometimes occurs following a stroke or in cerebral palsy as a result of lack of oxygen to those areas, but even this results in cell death of neurons if not repaired.

Uncharted does not equal unused.
http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percnt.htm

Snopes is great.

Atlantis001
That about using 10 percent of our brains is just a myth...

FistOfThe North
I believe that it is probable that in an "uncharted" part of our brain, lies one or more senses.

But the real questions are how do we reach that dormant sector of the brain willfully?, or will evolution take us there in the future when nature deems us "ready"?, so that we can unlock these new "powers".

King Kandy
Telepathy's nothing special. you use it every day. It's what alows you to pick up facial cues. Reading someones mind is just a more advanced and precise form.

debbiejo
yes, and anyone can do it. It's part of once of our senses that have long been ignored but was quite common before.........easily done btw.

Mindship
...coming up with better threads/posts. stick out tongue

FistOfThe North
Well we certainly wouldn't pick you as an example of/for maximum brain usage, lol.

just jkn' Mr. Ship.

Mindship
< often uses just 0.3%

Shad0w_Frost
Honestly we could possible be like gods...creating alternate dimensions simply by thinking...it would be chaos. dreams become reality

for example...the movie Dark City.

FistOfThe North
i believe whatever capacity we think we have, we will not see. Nature' will wait til we as a species evolve and then allow the use of newly tapped brain potential as she has done historically, on top of the mental powers we have now. Lucky for the next specie of humans.

Our brains will probably need to physically form in a compatible way in accord with any new mental potential, as it has done in the past.

Terrorist
We are capable of doing this
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m237/osborn_storage/hitler.gifhttp://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m237/osborn_storage/hitler.gifhttp://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m237/osborn_storage/hitler.gifhttp://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m237/osborn_storage/hitler.gifhttp://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m237/osborn_storage/hitler.gifhttp://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m237/osborn_storage/hitler.gif

King Kandy
Originally posted by Shad0w_Frost
Honestly we could possible be like gods...creating alternate dimensions simply by thinking...it would be chaos. dreams become reality

for example...the movie Dark City.
And your basis for believing our minds have this power?

Shad0w_Frost
Originally posted by King Kandy
And your basis for believing our minds have this power?
Twas just speculation...no one really knows everything the mind is capable of.

King Kandy
Originally posted by Shad0w_Frost
Twas just speculation...no one really knows everything the mind is capable of.
But you must have had SOME reason...

Quintin
Believe it, or not, we do use the majority of our brains every day. We use different parts of our brains depending on what function we are performing. Just like a person does not use every muscle in their bodies at once. Each part of the brain has it's own function. It is just that some parts are used more frequently than others. It sounds false that we would not use the majority of our brains in one way or another. One way of putting it that I once read was, "A man was shot in the head, and the Doctor said, 'It's okay, the bullet only hit the 90% of the brain that wasn't used".

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.