If given a choice, what year or century would you've chosen to be born on. And why?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
If given a choice, what year or century would you've chosen to be born on. And why?

In the future, past, or present.

Don't forget to say why.

Clovie
same as i was
coz i think that it would be worse otherwise messed

Alpha Centauri
Same as I was.

Because I've been a part of so many insane developments in general. Technological, moral, political, musical.

Wouldn't change it.

-AC

eleveninches
I'd have chosen to be born 2 centuaries from now (in the future)

Jackie Malfoy
Originally posted by FistOfThe North

Don't forget to say why.

I would the future I would like to find out what happens then and how alot of things change from the time we are living in now/JM smile

shaber
odd question... maybe early twentieth century.

FistOfThe North
I'd chose the future.

195 years from now.

in the year 2200.

Cause i'd just be far from this time.

shaber
How do you know the Earth will still be habitable by then?

FistOfThe North
I don't. I'd just have to hope i'll be ok upon arrival. I think it will be worth the risk.

lil bitchiness
This isn't really philosophical, so moving.

Afro Cheese
I'd choose to keep it the same. Cause I wouldn't want to backtrack and go back in time, and I wouldn't want to go too far in the future either cause you never know how much longer we're gonna last.

smoker4
20 years earlier so i could be a cynical ex-hippie smokin'

debbiejo
Way cool....I'd say sometime in the middle ages, or in anchient greece..

sexylexy32
I'd like to have been born in the 60's or 70's to see what life would be like without all the tech we have today....

LLG
I would like to be born in the future, but you don't know what it is like. It might be a bad place. So I would go with the past, because I already know what has happened then. I wouldn't be too surprised what will happen, but I would like to experience how it was back then. Probably the 60's or 70's.

Ladyluck
1963!!!! so my best years would be in the 70's and 80's!!!! the best decades ever!!!!!...especially for music!!!...in my opinion lol... rock

Curl_Up&Dye
Originally posted by sexylexy32
I'd like to have been born in the 60's or 70's to see what life would be like without all the tech we have today....

i would have liked to be in my twenties during the 60's/70's. those people really LIVED back then.

AerosmithKiss13
I'd love to live during the old west, pirate times, or the Victorian times. Sometime hundreds of years ago. I love the clothes.

Imaginary
Late 19 century to early 20th. It'd be interesting because humankind has raced ahead in the last 100 years or so.

knight
At the most a decade earlyer in 1970 so that I could be 25 in 1995.

The music, events, TV shows and the general feel of the world throughout
the eighties and early ninties is what I go for now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/hot_knight/bigcountry_banner.jpg

Fishy

That would have made 21 by 303.... Of course I would want to be born in Constantinople otherwise it would just suck, but if you can't choose the location in which you are born then 1430 so that I could live to see the fall of Constantinople and the last remnants of the Roman Empire.

IceWithin
1911 but in America

Maya Zurak
Future: year 2204

DarkCrawler
Year 5000. It is probably possible to normal people travel into other planets then, and that is something I have always wished to do. Or I would like to be alive in the year where people first come in contact with alien species.

joeykangaroo
yeh im happy where i am, i dnt really wanna go back to victorian or whatever

Napalm
Furture maybe 2020 welll aww shit Ill see it anyways

WindDancer
Somewhere during the Civil War (USA) Just to meet Good Ol' Honest Abe.

WillKempsgirl
In the 18th century because I love the way the clothing was

ragesRemorse
I would love to have had a chance to fight in WWII. Other than that, why the hell would i give up my luxaries? Unless i could go back knowing what i know now. I enjoy having toilets and toilet paper, and not having to hunt what i eat. Though living during the Roman empire might be interesting, however, other than the Pride the Romans had towards Rome. I dont think there is much difference between ancient rome and now. We are both just as materialistic.

whirlysplat
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
I would love to have had a chance to fight in WWII. Other than that, why the hell would i give up my luxaries? Unless i could go back knowing what i know now. I enjoy having toilets and toilet paper, and not having to hunt what i eat. Though living during the Roman empire might be interesting, however, other than the Pride the Romans had towards Rome. I dont think there is much difference between ancient rome and now. We are both just as materialistic.

roll eyes (sarcastic) "I would love to have had a chance to fight in WWII." No offence but as someone who has held back tears in there eyes at the British, Canadian and American cemeteries in Normandy............Thats a crazy thing to say confused

If you stare from the US cemetery down across the scrub land onto Omaha beach, at whats left of the"mulberry harbour" you would realise that as well. sad

ragesRemorse
yeah, i didn't mean any kind of disrespect. It is hard to explain what i meant by that. Obviously it is easy for me to say something like that in my lap of luxury. Everyman that died in the allied assault against nazi Germany is a hero, a hero that demands the acknowledgment of courage. Allied soldiers knew they were fighting for individualism, and their own perspective of freedom. After finding out exactly what the Germans were doing to the jews, just solidified that what they were doing was honorable and right. Above all would be to earn the comradery of brothers in arms that only war offers.

My reasoning may be compared to why a person becomes a soldier for glory. petty and ignorant it may be, but it is an infatuation i have always had.

Darth Macabre
I would actually would have liked to be born in the start of the human race time. Im talking like 10,000 years ago, before verbal skills were mastered. Just the thrill of living day by day not knowing if your going to be eaten by a bigger fish, or something must be pretty intoxicating.

Or the Future like year 3000.

whirlysplat
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
yeah, i didn't mean any kind of disrespect. It is hard to explain what i meant by that. Obviously it is easy for me to say something like that in my lap of luxury. Everyman that died in the allied assault against nazi Germany is a hero, a hero that demands the acknowledgment of courage. Allied soldiers knew they were fighting for individualism, and their own perspective of freedom. After finding out exactly what the Germans were doing to the jews, just solidified that what they were doing was honorable and right. Above all would be to earn the comradery of brothers in arms that only war offers.

My reasoning may be compared to why a person becomes a soldier for glory. petty and ignorant it may be, but it is an infatuation i have always had.

Fair comment, good post mate

whirlysplat
Originally posted by Darth Macabre
I would actually would have liked to be born in the start of the human race time. Im talking like 10,000 years ago, before verbal skills were mastered. Just the thrill of living day by day not knowing if your going to be eaten by a bigger fish, or something must be pretty intoxicating.

Or the Future like year 3000.

confused They didn't speak english but.........................

((The_Anomaly))
id choose to be born in about 2400 big grin

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by whirlysplat
confused They didn't speak english but.........................

They grunted, and pointed as a way to speak. To me thats not excellent verbal skills. big grin

LonDon06
I love it as it is now... with the tech and stuff, but other then that I'd say 1870's-1920's. I think it would be cool no big cities, or tech stuff but things would just start being invented and I just love that time period.

DarkCrawler
Probably 1000 years from this would be good too. With my knowledge, I would be an genious in that time. Or an seer.

Or an heathen.stick out tongue

whirlysplat
Originally posted by Darth Macabre
They grunted, and pointed as a way to speak. To me thats not excellent verbal skills. big grin

roll eyes (sarcastic) Hmmmm sitting here looking at Brownowski's "The ascent of man" not so sure your right. Its also not how most epistemological thought sees the construction of language.

but...... if you can provide evidence to support your statementbig grin

baracustastic

Same year as both Robert the Bruce and William Wallace.

Just so I could fill in the historical gaps. I'd follow them and record their lives for future generations to give a greater understanding of the two greatest Scotsmen ever. Would be awesome to live through the most turbulent and formative period in Scotland's history.

Maybe, if I was lucky, I could help get independence a bitty quicker, thus giving Bruce more time to sort Scotland out, which would hopefully give Bruce time to produce an heir and so the Stewarts would never have been able to arse things up.

yep 1274 would be magic.

DarkCrawler
Of course, the 2000 would be good to. I could stop the WTC.

Gryn Jabar
A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...

botankus
Whatever century it is when travel is accomplished by morphing.

Originally posted by DarkCrawler
Of course, the 2000 would be good to. I could stop the WTC.

I've always wondered about that and what people would have done if information like that was brought up.

IceWithin
actually I wouldve liked to be borned in 1988 but in the united states, americans have a great advantage now a days, yes I know bush sucks and blah blah blah, but being an american citizen you dont need visa to SO many countries... plus ur mother language would be english, and english's the world most important language, and ALSO, it has great universities, etc.

PVS
since the average lifespan increases as the medical field advances, i prefer to be just where i am, or even in the future if thats within the rules stick out tongue. i prefer lifespan over exitement, and would rather live a boring life of 70+ years than an exiting life of less than 40.

daniel18
i would freeze my self 2000 years later the ice would of melted of my body walk in the local kwikimart and by some fricken moon pie

PVS
mmmmmm moon pie droolio

E.M.Howlett
My dream is the 9th-10th centuries somewhere near the nowerdays capital of Ukrain. That was the REAL LIFE. And also there will be a chance to catch the son of Sv'atoslav and explain him what will be the consequences of what he is doing.

ghandii-llama
well intersting...id have born before the civil war because i would have tried to save the monitor

Echuu
I'm pretty well content where I am. It would have been interesting to have been around famous heroes of the medieval ages though.

Fire
Originally posted by FistOfThe North

Don't forget to say why.

Depends on what else I can change

A) If I can choose wether or not I want to be born rich or poor. I'd choose to be born as son of a wealthy roman senator around the year 10BC (so I lived in the Pax Romana and I could see wether or not jesus existed and what kind of a man he was -still sure he was just a rebel-)

B) if I can't choose it then I'd take the future or further back in egypt to see the egyptian empire at it's best.

Mindship
Hard to say. Either I wouldn't change a thing (because I like when I was born, like the age I am now, and would Not wanna go through "growing up" again)...or be born something like 100,000 to a billion years from now. Why?

A scifi writer once pointed out the following.
Dinosaurs ruled the earth for 160 million years.
Homo sapiens have been around for about 160,000 years: about 1/1000 as long.
Even if humans lasted, say, 16 million years (1/10 the dinos' reign), it would still be 100 times longer than our stay so far.
This means, basically, that some 90% of all the humans who will ever be have yet to be born.
Man, I'm gonna miss a lot of cool stuff.
So (reincarnation notwithstanding), why was I born Now instead of some other time?

s|m
I wouldn't want to be born in a different time, just because things seem slightly better now, at least where I am. It isn't the best, but at least now you can have a somewhat decent life.

manjaro
i like this century just fine. i would be screeeeeeewed any where else in time..you know since Im blackbig grin heck if i were born 45 years ago i wouldnt be able to vote or get affordable insurance, or get a loan to buy a house, oh and dont forget gettin hosed down in the streets, and attack dogs sicced on my black ass, go back 40yrs b4 that it would be that times 100, plus lynchings..then way b4 that i would be a slave....even if i were back in the time when the egyptians were running things the fact that im a big strong ass (psuedo bodybuilding)buck.. you know I woulda been in the pits building them damn pyramids just like all the other slaves so thats a nightmare i dont even wanna think about *shhuuuddderrrrssss*

Imperial_Samura
Hmmm. Hard to say about the future, can't be sure what's going to happen. Although I guess if humanity does one day die out or ascends or whatever, the last century of human history would be fascinating to be around in, and a century would give me time to catch up on all that's taken place between the year 2006 and the last century of human existence.

Now then, this century and the last have been reasonably good, especially from a Western perspective, so I guess I am happy staying here - good health, good economies, good levels of education, employment and so forth. And some interesting things happened.

If something in the past.... 100 BC to 0 in the Roman Empire would be good, history, turbulence, characters, social/political/theological/cultural change. Exciting stuff. Or the pinnacle period of the Eastern Roman Empire (the Byzantine Empire as it is also known.)

Or maybe I'd drop in on Ancient Greece, during the period of the great Greek philosophers - to meet Socrates, ah it would be great. Yes, I'd like that. Or France during the Napoleonic era... maybe I could help him win his wars. Oh yes, I like that idea. Me and Napoleon, oh how glorious victory would be...

Periods I'd like to avoid - The Industrial Revolution, the Crusades, those bits of Medieval history characterised by things like "The Black Death".

Uberking Robert
I'd choose to be born in, say...hmm, 1945. No, no actually...instead whatever year I'd have to be born in to be a teenager when Pink Floyd was popular.

§cooter
1950's.

Vendetta

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.