Why did Lucas hold out 'till Episode 3????

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

XX Emperor XX
Well by now its obvious that with all the great reviews Episode 3 has been getting from people and critics who have seen the movie already that its probably going to be the best SW movie ever or at least since ESB. I'm just wondering why Lucas held out 'till Episode 3 of the prequels to finally SHUT UP the critics and some SW fans up about how bad the prequels are. Its clear that if Lucas wanted to he could of made EP. I & II just as good as Episode 3. Don't get me wrong I for one enjoyed EP.II, but EP.I was a failure.

So my question is why did Lucas hold off 'till EP.3 and let critics and some SW fans bash the first two prequels and claim that Lucas ruined the SW saga?

Lord Yoda
i think it is because the different movies have different plots, and some of the plots aren't as exciting because the story isn't that exciting.

Captain REX
Lord Yoda hit the button with his left hand. no expression

Vanquish
Because one of them had to be the best. Of course it's the one with all the epic saber battles and story lines coming to a head.

Why not just say that episodes 1,2,4,5,6 were all 10's out of 10, and ROTS is a 11 out of 10 and leave it at that.

XX Emperor XX
Originally posted by Lord Yoda
i think it is because the different movies have different plots, and some of the plots aren't as exciting because the story isn't that exciting.

Yea your diff. right about that towards EP.I there was no hope for that one, but EP.II was good a story but it could of been a great story if Lucas just didn't drag it in some scenes and rush it in others

Sith Master X
I don't think Lucas held out at all. I very much enjoyed TPM and AOTC, but that's just me at least.

ickeris2003
Agreed smokin'

Jedi Priestess
ditto smile

Anakin_20
make that ditto 2 smile

ShadowKing
I am finishing the "Making of Revenge of the Sith" book and in it, GL talks about the language of film being very visual...not having dialogue run the movie and how he kind of filmed what he wrote, went back and looked at it and edited it for the visual flow...not necessarily concentrating on dialogue or performance.

Certainly this is why all critics I have read (except one) have praised the look of the movie but felt let down by the writing of the dialogue.

DARTH DADDY
I also agree with the X man. There all good.

But yes some will enjoy certain ones better then others.

whitewookie
without getting into an indepth discussion on the philosophy of the two trilogies etc, i was quite dissapointed with ep 1 & 2 as starwars films, as stand alone films they are great, but for me, not quite starwars, simply films set in the starwars universe. But in any case, George does seem to have been saving the most delicious bits for now, but hey, im not complaining!

Although i wish he'd stepped aside and let other directors take control like in the original triolgy, within reason! Obviously dont hand it over to Quentin Tarantino, lol, but u get my drift! As a visionairy, and a script writer, and the creator of the universe and knowing what works hes spectacular, but as a director? Not quite the bee's knees!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.