OK SW fans, time to write an angry email to The New Yorker!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jedi Priestess

DCLXVI
Hope this doesn't offend anybody, (yeah right), but this guy should go suck a hairy ****.
Don't worry JP, I got your back on this one....

DCLXVI
Send all angry emails to: [email protected]

Jedi Priestess
Well what an idiot. Seriously...........

yodafan
Yeah this guy sucks big time.

Mist
some people are so ignorant they refuse to delve any deeper than what they see on a screen. if this guy had any sense of intelligence, he'd maybe do a little research before throwing junk out of his mouthno expression

DCLXVI
Sending email now....
I'm gonna' be in the New Yorker! stick out tongue

EHmasterJedi
lol, HE USES THEM THERE BIG WORDS,, CANT UNDERSTAND THEM NEW FANGELED SAYINS, lol

pr1983
the guy obviously has a problem with star wars...

and as for the absense of blood? cauterising you fool...

hunchy
Yeah, whats up with his "Sith" rant at the beginning? Seriously.

Jedi Priestess
I honestly dont think Ive ever seen anyone want Yoda killed off before. Thats damn odd. And his comment about 3P0 was way harsh towards Daniels.

Mist

mysterio69
he's obviously a star trek fan. stick out tongue

Torik_Shai
SOMEONE... MUST... DIE........ mad2

pr1983
Originally posted by mysterio69
he's obviously a star trek fan. stick out tongue

hey...

mysterio69
a good jolt of force lightning to that guys n**s should do the trick. wacko

Darth_Vader05
This is the funiest thing i have heard in a long time **** the new york times, who gives a shit what they think. Star Wars Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith will be the best Star Wars movie ever im just speaking my opinion thats all....

mysterio69
sorry, pr1983. i kid, i kid. live long and prosper. thumb up

koolruningz
Yeah i posted this in the reviews thread today as well. This guy should just stick to artsy movies that are set in the real world, he obviously lacks the imagination it takes to enjoy Star Wars. I dont mind hearing negative things about Star Wars as long as its an informed opinion, but this prick has clearly got a chip on his shoulder. The funny thing is most of the problems he has with the saga are born from his own ignorance, i mean ultrasounds? Come on.

Jedi Priestess
Well I thought about putting it there, but something THIS offensive needed it own thread I think.

pr1983
sorry, pr1983. i kid, i kid. live long and prosper. thumb up

its possible to like both you know... big grin

Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
Well I thought about putting it there, but something THIS offensive needed it own thread I think.

you were right too... yes

theshakl
angry emails??..no... am i mad Very..but like Qui Gon tells anakin when he beats up on Greedo...fighting won't change it...and i guess we ain't fighting but we should just let this idiot ramble on its not hurting me anyways

mysterio69
indeed, jedi priestess. but we should take it with a grain of salt. if i got mad every time someone told me "star wars blows!" i'd go nuts. to hell with 'em. devil

Phoenix2001
obviously this guy hasn't seen the OT... or he's a fired employee of Lucas, and still pissed at him for firing him... or something... thumb down

Captain REX
Wow, this guy is an official writer? I think he's been hanging around Spiderman's boss too often... messed

waynerobsonuk
lets face it we should march him right off to a death camp right this very second!

Wayne...

DCLXVI
Here's the email I sent:

Dear Editor,

This email is in reponse to the highly offensive piece entitled "SPACE CASE" written by Anthony Lane.
First off, I have been a Star Wars fan every since I was a young child, back in 1977. That being said, I took great offense to the article written by Mr. Lane. Personally, I am very surprised that such a highly-respected newpaper would allow it to be published.
One of Mr. Lane's early comments in the article is deeply disturbing. He seems to mock the way that Mr. Lucas and his writers named their characters and their in-universe planets and races, and seems to praise the great J.R.R. Tolkien. He rants on and on about how the name "Sith" sounds like a nasal-congestion.
Also, later on in the article, he goes into detail about how he would have liked to have seen Yoda, (one of the most loveable and great characters of the Star Wars movies), killed gruesomely. He calls Anthony Daniel's character, C-3PO, a "gay, gold-plated Jeeves".
He continues throughout the article to continually put down a movie, and indeed, an entire film-series that has thus far made over 1.5 Billion dollars at the Box Office.
He not only has offended me, but countless other Star Wars fans.
What upsets me the most is that he is putting down a children's film series as if we're back in Salem, and Star Wars has replaced the Witches burned.
All in all, if the Editors at The New Yorker were at all intelligent, they would omit this article from the paper in question. If the paper wanted to give an honest review of the movie, they could have at least done so in a non-offensive and non-heartbreaking manner. Someone should have written the article, but not from a "I hate Star Wars and Lucas point of view".

John Geddes
Ontario, Canada

mysterio69
hey, pr1983. kirk rules. he gets all the green chicks. evil face

Captain REX
Originally posted by waynerobsonuk
lets face it we should march him right off to a death camp right this very second!

Wayne...

Do I hear any votes for Auschwitz? whistle

pr1983
Originally posted by DCLXVI
Here's the email I sent:

Dear Editor,

This email is in reponse to the highly offensive piece entitled "SPACE CASE" written by Anthony Lane.
First off, I have been a Star Wars fan every since I was a young child, back in 1977. That being said, I took great offense to the article written by Mr. Lane. Personally, I am very surprised that such a highly-respected newpaper would allow it to be published.
One of Mr. Lane's early comments in the article is deeply disturbing. He seems to mock the way that Mr. Lucas and his writers named their characters and their in-universe planets and races, and seems to praise the great J.R.R. Tolkien. He rants on and on about how the name "Sith" sounds like a nasal-congestion.
Also, later on in the article, he goes into detail about how he would have liked to have seen Yoda, (one of the most loveable and great characters of the Star Wars movies), killed gruesomely. He calls Anthony Daniel's character, C-3PO, a "gay, gold-plated Jeeves".
He continues throughout the article to continually put down a movie, and indeed, an entire film-series that has thus far made over 1.5 Billion dollars at the Box Office.
He not only has offended me, but countless other Star Wars fans.
What upsets me the most is that he is putting down a children's film series as if we're back in Salem, and Star Wars has replaced the Witches burned.
All in all, if the Editors at The New Yorker were at all intelligent, they would omit this article from the paper in question. If the paper wanted to give an honest review of the movie, they could have at least done so in a non-offensive and non-heartbreaking manner. Someone should have written the article, but not from a "I hate Star Wars and Lucas point of view".

John Geddes
Ontario, Canada

sweet letter...

hey, pr1983. kirk rules. he gets all the green chicks. evil face

damn straight big grin

Jedi Priestess
Excellent letter DC. thumbsup

DCLXVI
Originally posted by pr1983
sweet letter...

Excellent letter DC. thumbsup

Exactly....

Mist
yeah! rock on DCL!

lets just kill off yoda and just completely feck up the rest of the sagano expression

mysterio69
well, at least we all know the flick is gonna kick a**...
and that the fool who wrote the article smells.
sick

Lazerlike42
Well it's just an opinion so I don't think any action should be taken against the man (unless it is shown that he has an alterior motive or some bias which is is allowing himself to express), but I would certainly urge people to write in and disagree with the article.

Anybody that wants to, try to make sure you don't do anything that could be used to present fans in a negative light, and remember, if we want some of these things printed we have to make sure they are rational.... I doubt calling for his head would be considered as such, not that anyone has intimated or stated they would.

In any case, mad

DCLXVI
I'm takin' on the system! stick out tongue

BTW> If anyone gets The New Yorker, tell me if my letter goes through....wink

waynerobsonuk
painful death he must have

Wayne...

neo313
that stupid ass from the paper just complains about everything that he doesn't like about star wars in general. it's not even a real review of ROTS, imo

and nice letter

Jedi Priestess
Its a magazine SC you can pick it up at a bookstore. smile

Mist
his crap about anakin probably comes from the overkill of vader on advertising....he probably expected to see suited vader doing his dirty work in the movie...

is he even aware ep4,5 and 6 even exist? blink

DCLXVI
Its a magazine SC you can pick it up at a bookstore. smile

In Canada, JP?

mysterio69
probably not.

waynerobsonuk
death by a thousand lightsaber cuts!

Wayne...

mysterio69
a force choke would be more painful.

DCLXVI
Originally posted by waynerobsonuk
death by a thousand lightsaber cuts!

Wayne...

laughing out loud
Lightsaber overkill....

mysterio69
there's no such thing as lightsaber overkill.

Ben-Kenobi
I bet hes mad cause his girl friend loves star wars more than she loves him.

DCLXVI
I guess not....stick out tongue

Ben> laughing
That was good....stick out tongue

Torik_Shai
Here's the one I'm sending:

Dear Editor,

I recently came across Anthony Lane's article on the new Star Wars film entitled "Space Case" on the internet. While the word "offensive" may be a bit too far, this article has, well, pissed off the Star Wars fan community. It seems as though Mr. Lane drones on and on in the attempt of angering anybody who has ever seen a Star Wars film. There's a very distinct difference between reviewing a motion picture, be it good or bad, and just trashing it and basically making fun of devoted fans. For instance, in the article, Mr. Lane takes individual characters of the saga and bashes them to no end. He insults Ewan McGregor's accent, makes a list of "stupid" character names, refers to the character C-3PO as being a homosexual, and even makes easily explained scenarios into sounding ridiculous. (He mentions a lack of blood in the films, for instance. First of all, the wounds would be instantly cauterized due to the intense heat of the weapons being used, and second, it's a kid's movie! This isn't supposed to be Kill Bill with blood spraying out of every nick and cut! Get your facts straight!).

Like I said, there is a very big difference between reviewing a movie (which I would consider to be the equivalent of offering some helpful criticism) and acting as Mr. Anthony Lane has (the equivalent of which would be crucifying, burning, and urinating on the ashes of the films while adoring fans look on in horror). It's one thing to say, "I personally did not enjoy the film very much, but then again, I'm not a fan of the genre," (and Mr. Lane most assuredly could have said this and stayed accurate to his feelings) and deliberately insulting at least two generations worth of loyal fans.

Thank you for your time. I hope you will take this e-mail, and the many others I'm sure you're receiving, into consideration in the future.

Daniel Robin
Benicia, CA

mysterio69
but that would mean he has a g/f. that's giving him too much credit. laughing

DCLXVI
Damn you Torik, yours is better than mine....stick out tongue

Torik_Shai
Actually DCLXVI, I thought yours was better.

BrianWilsonJedi
this guy has no soul, and ill bet he has pictures of Bill Shatner all over his wall

DCLXVI
Originally posted by Torik_Shai
Actually DCLXVI, I thought yours was better.

No, your letter/email = Better. wink

theshakl
yeah good letter

Torik_Shai
Originally posted by DCLXVI
No, your letter/email = Better. wink

laughing Let's just agree that they're equally good. And in the words of Jango Fett, "They'll do their job well."

DCLXVI
Agreed. wink

astrofan428
Thsi movie sucks, Padme's apartment is to clean. What's with the name sith?

Those are the dumbest ****ing complaints I have ever ****ing heard in my life.

Mist
"your letters are very impressive...i look forward to seeing them in action"

Mist
dude....padmes hair is curled.....obviously a plot hole, as we've never seen a hair curler in star wars....roll eyes (sarcastic)

DCLXVI
I've enformed our TF.N counterparts....:
http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=19694098&start=19737310

koolruningz
The sad thing about all this is that even if you get a response from this dickhead it will be along the lines of get over it you geeks. Im sure to him its hilarious how fans devote so much time, money and energy to a sci-fi movie that he cant fathom. I pity people like him just as much as he probably pities us, the only difference is we wont be wasting 2 and a half hours of our time on May 18/19. big grin

Ken Kenobi
Originally posted by koolruningz
The sad thing about all this is that even if you get a response from this dickhead it will be along the lines of get over it you geeks. Im sure to him its hilarious how fans devote so much time, money and energy to a sci-fi movie that he cant fathom. I pity people like him just as much as he probably pities us, the only difference is we wont be wasting 2 and a half hours of our time on May 18/19. big grin

I agree with the fact he is wanting hate mail, he wants to see how geeky the responses will be.

Be nice in your hate mail, prove him wrong!

koolruningz
Nice hate mail, thats a new one on me. Seriously though i dont think he is going to change his mind anytime soon and he probably wouldnt even read the hate mail sent to him. On the upside though his completely one eyed opinion is not going to sway any of us either. I guess this sort of "journalism" is what sells nowadays which is a real shame.

Fëanor

koolruningz
It would probably be funny to LOTR and Matrix fans. Its not without "humour" but his ignorance overshadows all of that.

Jedi Priestess

astrofan428
yeah like a paper cut

Those arent funny, those hurt like hell.(damn I am a pussy)

AnonymousKnown
Typical close-minded corporate american

Torik_Shai
I'm not too angry because the way I see it, we've got a lot of big Star Wars fans in high places. There has to be one that knows what this guy looks like and where he lives. boxing

Lazerlike42
Originally posted by AnonymousKnown
Typical close-minded corporate american

Hey I'm a close-minded corporate American and I love Star Wars! wink

Gangularis
it's called free speach..

who cares?? he's an idiot..

*waves hand*

"move along.."

EMF universe
What a dipshit. I wrote them a email back, but look where i'm from!

I couldn't help myself i just had to do it. I have read unfavorable reviews before, but this one was just a personal attack to George and SW and i can't let that pass. I made it clear to them what i thought about their review in a professional and then in a"unproffesional" way.

HateWork
i'm tempted to send him an email and tell him to look up the word BIAS and see if he can wrap his head around that

Spectr4L
I sent this just now:

Hello, I'm (my name) - a college student from Queens, NY

Please inform Anthony Lane that the underlying, unnessesary bias in his rather unprofessional review of Star Wars Episode III : Revenge of the Sith was very successfull in causing an outrage amongst devoted fans of the Star Wars film saga. It is very clear that he wrote it with the words "exposure through notoriety" in mind. In slightest chance that I may be wrong, I'd suggest recruiting a reviewer that actually understands the dynamics of a science fiction/fantasy film. Most require an their audiences to have an imagination - something Mr. Lane seems to greatly lack in this particular review.

Sincerely,
-(name)

It could've been better, but still decent enough IMO. smile

Phoenix2001
I don't seem to understand why some that dislike SW has to compare them to LOTR or the Matrix... I love them all, though I do believe Lucas deserves a little more credit for the first two episodes of SW.

stefaan
This is so stupid, you're all mad because someone expressed his/her opinion in an extreme way, but look around on this forum what are we doing? We are doing the exact same thing, why write angry letters (now doesn't that sound scary?) the New Yorker isn't sending killermovies angry letters for us being positive about the movie? This should be closed.

Jedi Priestess
Stefan the point is, he's obviously either not bothered to take the time to really watch SW or he's a serious idiot. OF all the reviews out to date, this one is by far the most ignorant there is. And the term I used "angry letter" is a common term when writing a letter to the editor of things ranging from a high school news paper clear on up to a nation publication such as this. And seing as Lance posted in here, I dont see it being closed, especially since no one in here is saying anything that remotely calls for a closing.

joeykangaroo
erm im not a SW fan but what the heck: me at school suppost to be doing GNVQ but im on here instead, hell its boring here

Trickster
Well, it's only his opinion.

Nothing wrong with that.

Eleonora
Psychological diagnosis:
patient may suffer from outbursts of jealousy to compensate for the frustration caused by the knowledge of his mediocrity.

erich1776
Just thought someone here might be interested in my email response to the "New Yorker". I felt the only way to respond was to be simply as obtuse as they are...

"I just had the pleasure of reading "Space Case" by Anthony Lane. Simply put, just as humorous as your fine publication's nationally renown cartoons. Ziggy couldn't have written it better."

evil face laughing evil face

WindDancer
I hate to sound antagonistic here but maybe you guys are taken that writer's comments to personally? A little criticism doesn't hurt. And besides why waste your time replying to the guy? Star Wars haters are never going to shut up. Why feed their hatred?

Jedi Priestess
Wind, come on, did read that crap? That wasnt even worth printing. You can write a negative review without that kind of venom. This guy is a jerk plain and simple.

WindDancer
Indeed, I agree with your argument JP. But by replying and responding to the guy is giving him what he wants....publicity. This guy knows he was going to generate negative responses as well a little publicity. Controversy sells and this guy is seeking popularity. Give him his 15 minutes and toss him into the trash bin. He isn't worth it.

darthmaul1
That guy is clearly an idiot his statements are all over the place, he obviously hates star wars to begin with. I don't understand some critics that if they review a movie they have no intrest in, they bash it and tear it apart, if I was a critic review a jblo love movie, I wouldn't even do that, you just have to say the movie is not your cup of tea, but for the crowd that likes that sort of movie should enjoy it. same should holds true for star wars, but this guy is too much of a retard to understand it.

ShadowKing
Some points to consider when e-mailing the New Yorker magazine:

For those who have not read it before, it is an upscale, we here in NY are hipper than you, arts, entertainment, and the world outside of Manhattan sucks (except for the Hamptons) magazine.

That being said, when I was in college, I would read their movie reviews because sometimes the reviewer made valid points about film technique, acting, and writing.

This a-hole is seriously just a "...I couldn't be bothered seeing this crap but they pay me to, soooo...." writer. Starting with the word Sith...a word I believe that comes from the Irish or Gaelic language (look it up). Yes, GL is not Tolkien (himself a professor of old languages), but he is educated and may have taken words from all kinds of languages. I'll have to Google search some to see but I know Darth Vader is Dutch for Dark Father.

He also goes on about no one eating/ingesting (sorry pal, dinner at Shmi's house, Anakin and Padme eating in her palace, Vader and Boba Fett at the dining table) and excreting (WTF!) being a problem. How clean and unused everything looks (GL's OT was supposed to look lived in: everything looked dirty, worn, rusted and used...stormtroopers on Tatooine were dusty)? Well, the prequels are supposed to be when the Republic was clean and shiny...before all things turned to hell.

I'm sure when you live in BOHO, SOHO, or the Village (all in lower Manhattan), hang out with all of the artistes and my sh*t don't stink types, you can look down your nose at all the plebes who enjoy something as pedestrian as popular entertainment.

Just let the magazines editors know that their movie reviewers should review the movies, not give wankers a job to vent ironic so they can sound oh so very smug.

koolruningz
The comment about everything looking clean is bullshit and just goes to show how deluded he is. The only places that look clean and unused are the Jedi Temple, The Senate and other places were the hierarchy dwell. The rest of the planets like Tatooine, Utapau and Kashyyk look totally lived in from what I've seen.

GCG

BackFire
Are you guys seriously writing angry emails to a guy for registering his opinion on a movie? Who cares, he's just one man. You can't expect a movie like this to get all positive reviews.

GCG
actually i was writing an angry e-mail to some mag for getting it all wrong.

This guy can get pissed on for what i care ; Its his opinion that CLEARLY shows that he hasnt seen any Star Wars, or is being paid to bring it down.

My opinion of Mr. Lane is below

piss2http://www.identitytheory.com/idgraphics/lane4.jpg

BackFire
Originally posted by GCG
actually i was writing an angry e-mail to some mag for getting it all wrong.

This guy can get pissed on for what i care ; Its his opinion that CLEARLY shows that he hasnt seen any Star Wars, or is being paid to bring it down.

My opinion of Mr. Lane is below

piss2http://www.identitytheory.com/idgraphics/lane4.jpg

I doubt any film critics exist that haven't seen any star wars films before. Just because he didn't like ROTS doesn't mean he hasn't seen SW films. That's a pretty silly assumption.

darthmonkey9206
I agree with backfire, but it was stupid how he opened his review

"sith. duhh, what kind of word it dat.??"

GCG
but when he says:

These names were already known; he isnt saying anything new. why bring it up now ?

WHY would Padme want to have it disclosed that she is pregnant ? SHE HAS TO HIDE IT !

Yoda is a movie Icon.....does that make Lane better than me or should i say he implies that i am uneducated ?

Jedi Priestess
What I find amusing is you guys coming here and stating that no one should respond to this guy. Now thats all well and good, but if you are going to take that tack, then you guys should never complain about politics or anything else. It is the exact same thing. And sending a letter to the editor, or your congressman, etc is very much an OK practice. I do however think that such a letter needs to be worded in such a manner so as not to appear like some raving fool.

ShadowKing
good point JP

ShadowKing
and for the record, Sith is a Gaelic word, also spelled Si and comes from the Gaelic word Sidhe...which basically means some kind of fairy creature...gotta love the Irish

so take that you pompous, i'm too sexy for this film, reviewer!chair

GCG
Originally posted by Anthony Lane

Nobody ingests or excretes.

and why does he say that nobody eats ? Surely Lucas isnt going to get Palpatine exeunting his bathroom tucking his robes saying ' Master Windu sooner than expected..... with the flushing noise in the background. There was a mild referance in TPM when Jar Jar Binks (who else ; he cant help not being clumsy!) steps on a pile of Shit.

But Lucas does have eating in star wars as sharply contrasted to being drained.

http://massassi.yavin4.com/sw_img/e1tato16.jpg

http://massassi.yavin4.com/sw_img/e2kami15.jpg

http://massassi.yavin4.com/sw_img/e2nabo10.jpg

http://massassi.yavin4.com/sw_img/e4tato32.jpg

http://massassi.yavin4.com/sw_img/e5dego7.jpg

Sith_Dreamer
This guys seems like he's never seen another. What an idiot!

astrofan428
I forgot the eating and excreting crap. Because all great movies have a guy standing at a urenal(sp, its late) or dog with his leg hiked up, hell I cant watch a movie without it.

Lazerlike42
lol loved the one with the pics....

atila the great

GCG
In a way, I understand BF's concern. We should give way to opinions and reviews. For if for every person that watched ROTS and did not like it, there could be Flame Wars brooding up.

i pointed out some parts of Mr. Lane's review that i thought were erronous. I dont want a part of my post to instigate a war when someone who disliked ROTS expresses it in a post.

Red Superfly
This is the most ignorant critique of a Star Wars movie to date.

He criticises everything for all the wrong reasons.

Machete_Guy
I hate to admit.....but i did laugh at that article a few times. He made some funny remarks. But its true, he must be punished

Trickster

Jedi Merc
This guy obviously is a sex deprived man with limited brain power. Here is my response to this so called "review":

As you can probably tell this is in response to Anthony Lane's review (if you can call it that) of the latest Star Wars movie entitled Space Case. I am a 16 year old and a very big fan of George Lucas' space saga and I am outraged over some of the comments made by your obviously sex-deprived reporter who no doubt has very limited brain power.
First of all, I find it offensive that he called C-3P0 a homosexual and his complaint that no one "excretes" in any of the Star Wars movies. Who the hell wants to see aliens or even humans expel waste from their body in any sort of movie? And since when does a horse's breathing sound like an asthma attack or how can he relate a multi-legged droid as a homicidal bug? And why can't Mr. Lane accept the fact that Lucas and his audience has an imagination and can accept the fact that in the future the ability to fly quickly in space from one planet to another.
My biggest complaint is his comment on Padme's, played by Natalie Portman, pregnancy. How do people usually get pregnant? In school I learned it was through sexual intercourse, not a troubled Jedi masterbating in her closet while looking at furry teddy bear porn.
I feel that this so called review is more of pent up rage from Mr. Lane for some trouble that may have occured in his past. Many Star Wars fans, myself included, feel that Mr. Lane should open his mind and maybe watch the films in order to gain a full understanding why Darth Vader is not a hockey goalkeeper from Hell or why Yoda, one of the most loved characters, should not be placed in a blender and liquified into a sick drink that I am sure Mr. Lane would not mind drinking. Maybe Mr. Lane should apologize and write another article after he has seen all the movies; though I doubt it would do any good to the damage he has already caused.

Sincerely,
C. Heerman
Benicia, Ca

DarkDethbringer
I sent to the NewYorker and I told them what a Jack-ass he was!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.