Student suspended after discussion of Hotel Rwanda

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

whats_my_right

T.M
a discussion on a word is a lot different to calling a person by that word IMO he got off lightly with 3 days and the female student should have beat the shit into him.

powerfulone1987
From what you said the boy just said " what do you think about the word ______".

He didn't actually call the girl the name, so that girl lied and said he called her one when he really didn't, going by what you said.

T.M
depends on the context

what u you think of the term _____ ? this is how u say asking about te term.

what do u think of the term, ______? but this one is different because it sounds like they are asking what do u think of the term and then adding the word on the end.

see how it can be misinterpreted

Cinemaddiction
The school should have A) taken his accolades into account, and B) spoken to both of them.

Bardock42
Maybe they should have asked the class teacher......I don't think that student deserved it....the girl was overreacting. That is if what you said is true.

Magee
She was not over reacting. He said to her " How do you feel about the term ***** ". I certainly would'nt be happy if someone said that to me but it also depends on how he said it. Did he say it, calling her one or did he just ask how she felt about the word? Either way a suspension was not over reacting in any way, I think he got off lightly.

Cinemaddiction
Yeah, Honors student just decides to throw his academic career in the trash can by turning around and calling some gal a ******. Highly unlikely, but not that it would matter, this day in age. AA would be all over that school had the honkey gotten away with it.

If I were the kid, I'd turn around and sue the school for defamation of character, because when he gets back, he'll be on everyone's shit list. Well, atleast the African American's.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Magee
She was not over reacting. He said to her " How do you feel about the term ***** ". I certainly would'nt be happy if someone said that to me but it also depends on how he said it. Did he say it, calling her one or did he just ask how she felt about the word? Either way a suspension was not over reacting in any way, I think he got off lightly.

Two possibilities how I would agree with you

a) He said "How do you feel aboot that term,......******"

b) He just went up to her out of context and said that

Neither of that did he do...he just asked someone who could tell him how they felt aboot it (well I guess she clearly showed how she felt aboot it) buit it was during a class discussion and not intended as an insult at all.

Magee
I see where your coming from. It was in a class discussion and he just asked a class companion how she felt. But its the fact she was black, he was obviously asking her because of her skin colour. Some people might take that as a sort of racist attack. If the girl did'nt find it offensive nothing would of happened, but she did hence the suspension.

Bardock42
Well what the **** its a term used to insuult black peopel...why the **** should he ask a white person or a hispanic? Just doesn'T make sense.....people are just to stuck up nowadays

Magee
Well thats your opinion. Fact is she didnt like it so something had to be done.

shaber
yikes. some discussion!

Bardock42
Well thats your opinion. Fact is she didnt like it so something had to be done.

Well look.hmm how can I make a decent comparison.

Lets say there is a german in that class...and they talk abot nazis and how Germans were nazis and stuff...and then someone turns to me and say "How do you feel aboot the term nazi" I might feel offended because I was just asked that cause I am german...thats the same thing....but first I wouldn't go to the principal and second no one would care.

Magee
Read what you just wrote again. You would'nt go to the principal but she did, hence the suspension wink

And the fact that your not a nazi (I hope) makes it a pretty bad example.

shaber
But Bardock would not be able to get anyone suspended.

Thael
I'm black, and if that were said to me, I'd tell him I didn't like it, I wouldn't use it as ammunition to get him into trouble.

In some ways you could see it as her way of being racist, if another black student had asked that question, she wouldn't have reacted the way she did. Am I making sense?

I think the other Student was treated extremely unfairly there should have been a deeper investigation into it. And the teacher of the class should have been asked, if she really had such a problem with it she would've said something to the class teacher, or to the lad, instead of leaving it and telling the head later.

Bardock42
Read what you just wrote again. You would'nt go to the principal but she did, hence the suspension wink

And the fact that your not a nazi (I hope) makes it a pretty bad example.

So what you are saying is that she is a ******? ...nah just kidding.....but some other (mostly female) germans might be offended and would go to the principal....no one would care though...cause I wouldn't have been called a nazi....

Bardock42
Originally posted by Thael
I'm black, and if that were said to me, I'd tell him I didn't like it, I wouldn't use it as ammunition to get him into trouble.

In some ways you could see it as her way of being racist, if another black student had asked that question, she wouldn't have reacted the way she did. Am I making sense?

I think the other Student was treated extremely unfairly there should have been a deeper investigation into it. And the teacher of the class should have been asked, if she really had such a problem with it she would've said something to the class teacher, or to the lad, instead of leaving it and telling the head later.

I think thael put it pretty good yes

shaber
Maybe you have to be of 100% African heritage for the suspension rule to apply?

Magee
The fact that he's white and she's black is part of the reason why he got suspended. We have to take into consideration we were'nt there. We dont know exactly how it happened, how he said it. It could have been something so subtle like the tone of his voice which made her feel as if it was a personal attack on her.

Bardock42
Originally posted by shaber
Maybe you have to be of 100% African heritage for the suspension rule to apply?

Possible.....anyways totally hypocritic

Fishy

Exactly the girl was overreacting, and it makes no sense.. If a discussion is going on about that word then who are you going to ask how they feel about it? A black person or a white person?

Seriously what kind of bullshit is that?

I ask Muslims in my class how they experience the "Muslim" terrorism, why would I ask a Dutch person how they experience that from a Muslims point of view, they aren't one so they can't know.. The school is full of shit

Thael
Thats true, but again, if it were me, I'd warn the lad, and based on his reaction. Then I'd do something, probably beat the crap out of him, but not until I was sure.

Fishy
The fact that he's white and she's black is part of the reason why he got suspended. We have to take into consideration we were'nt there. We dont know exactly how it happened, how he said it. It could have been something so subtle like the tone of his voice which made her feel as if it was a personal attack on her.

You can't get that form the post however, so by what we have we should just assume thats not the case. Seeing as how he was a honor students i'm sure he wouldn't be stupid enough to attack somebody in a discussion like that.

The school is just insane

Thael
Originally posted by Fishy
Exactly the girl was overreacting, and it makes no sense.. If a discussion is going on about that word then who are you going to ask how they feel about it? A black person or a white person?

Seriously what kind of bullshit is that?

I ask Muslims in my class how they experience the "Muslim" terrorism, why would I ask a Dutch person how they experience that from a Muslims point of view, they aren't one so they can't know.. The school is full of shit

Hit the nail on the head there mate! yes

Curl_Up&Dye
i dont like the fact that people play the race card too often for trivial reasons. They watched a movie that used the word a lot. If she was at all offended by that, then she had the option to leave. Seeing as how the movie was viewed in school, it was meant to be educational, so of course some discussion would follow. The school administration should have investigated more thoroughly, instead of just trying to cover their ass and sweep it under the rug. The word was definetly taken out of context by this girl. He asked her a question about the term, because being an african american she would obviously have a different opinion vs someone who was white. But if she wasnt offended by the word use in the movie, then there is no reason for her to report the kid. especially since he was not refferring to her as a n*****

Thael
Originally posted by Curl_Up&Dye
i dont like the fact that people play the race card too often for trivial reasons. They watched a movie that used the word a lot. If she was at all offended by that, then she had the option to leave. Seeing as how the movie was viewed in school, it was meant to be educational, so of course some discussion would follow. The school administration should have investigated more thoroughly, instead of just trying to cover their ass and sweep it under the rug. The word was definetly taken out of context by this girl. He asked her a question about the term, because being an african american she would obviously have a different opinion vs someone who was white. But if she wasnt offended by the word use in the movie, then there is no reason for her to report the kid. especially since he was not refferring to her as a n*****

You calling me a N*****?!?!?! I'm gonna tell Raz.

Joking. Wuv yew really.. hug stick out tongue

hayden's minx
From how you explained it, I personally feel that they over-reacted. If she felt singled out, fair enough, but if he was just asking her view as a person of African-american ethnicity, and it wasn't malicious, I kinda feel sorry for the guy. At least he didn't tip toe around the subject, like most people do because they're scared of coming off as racist. But I don't know - I wasn't there so I can't judge fairly. At a school I used to go to - there was a policy that if a member of one of the black African origin 'groups' (they hug around in aggressive gangs) called you milky - that isn't racist. You call one of them a knob and because it's a white person calling a black person a name - it's racist. that used to piss me off because they were racist too - but quick to play the oppressed card whenever they needed it. Bit off the topic, I'm not racist, I have have friends from different ethnic origins and they agree with me that some people abuse racism, segregate themselves and scare people into tip toeing around for fear of being racist.
As for that Kid - I agree with Cinemaddiction - sue for Defamation of character.
Rant over.

Cinemaddiction

FINALLY! That's all they had to do! There are two sides to every story. I think the school made a hasty decision, was looking to save face, but in the meanwhile, scarred the reputation of what seems to be a academic overachiever, all because of THEIR reluctance todelve into the issue.

The SCHOOL deserves the punishment.

Thael
Originally posted by hayden's minx
From how you explained it, I personally feel that they over-reacted. If she felt singled out, fair enough, but if he was just asking her view as a person of African-american ethnicity, and it wasn't malicious, I kinda feel sorry for the guy. At least he didn't tip toe around the subject, like most people do because they're scared of coming off as racist. But I don't know - I wasn't there so I can't judge fairly. At a school I used to go to - there was a policy that if a member of one of the black African origin 'groups' (they hug around in aggressive gangs) called you milky - that isn't racist. You call one of them a knob and because it's a white person calling a black person a name - it's racist. that used to piss me off because they were racist too - but quick to play the oppressed card whenever they needed it. Bit off the topic, I'm not racist, I have have friends from different ethnic origins and they agree with me that some people abuse racism, segregate themselves and scare people into tip toeing around for fear of being racist.
As for that Kid - I agree with Cinemaddiction - sue for Defamation of character.
Rant over.

I agree too, I know what racism is, and both sides are guilty of it, not just one. But one side, obviously has more footing than the other, and I think its outrageous really.

I'm no pro-black racism, its just as wrong as it going the other way. But its these kinds of scenarios that create racism. Whites feel like they're being treated unfairly and some dislike the "power" Blacks have. You can see it happening, and a part of me believes that some teachers and other "official" figureheads want this kind of aggression to continue.

Example; My little brother was subject to racial attacks, the teachers knew about this and told my brother "to ignore it" and in the past "to live with it". It got to a point where he had to be removed from school, the police got involved and were told by the same school that they've never had any kind of problems with racism.

Anyway, I'm ranting now. stick out tongue

Curl_Up&Dye
You calling me a N*****?!?!?! I'm gonna tell Raz.

Joking. Wuv yew really.. hug stick out tongue

stick out tongue

Fishy
I agree too, I know what racism is, and both sides are guilty of it, not just one. But one side, obviously has more footing than the other, and I think its outrageous really.

I'm no pro-black racism, its just as wrong as it going the other way. But its these kinds of scenarios that create racism. Whites feel like they're being treated unfairly and some dislike the "power" Blacks have. You can see it happening, and a part of me believes that some teachers and other "official" figureheads want this kind of aggression to continue.

Example; My little brother was subject to racial attacks, the teachers knew about this and told my brother "to ignore it" and in the past "to live with it". It got to a point where he had to be removed from school, the police got involved and were told by the same school that they've never had any kind of problems with racism.

Anyway, I'm ranting now. stick out tongue

Thats schools for you, and of course Racism happens both ways, its just funny to note that often black people get away with it when white people don't because of some idea that black people can't be racists...

Afro Cheese
Hotel Rwanda was depressing. Really they seemed to call each other "cockroaches" more than anything else though..

Curl_Up&Dye
Originally posted by Fishy
Thats schools for you, and of course Racism happens both ways, its just funny to note that often black people get away with it when white people don't because of some idea that black people can't be racists...

the whole slavery thing comes into play. a lot of black public speakers say that white people in america still owe them for slavery. i know slavery is a horrible thing, but still racism CAN and DOES go both ways. Slavery is the reason why most white claims of racism dont hold water with authority.... we admitted that it was wrong, we apologized, and for the most part discussion about it causes a lot of problems so we dont want to dwell on it, especially since every conversation about racism almost inevitably goes back to slavery. We still feel bad about slavery, so we pretty much just let claims of racism against whites go.

on the same note its kind of like guys reporting being raped by girls. People just dont see it for what it is, and that it can go both ways. Sorry if that example is a little off-topic..... but me and some people were just talking about the fact that certain groups of people are protected by old fashioned ideas.

hayden's minx
Yeah...
Good - I'm glad someone agrees with me.

Fishy
Originally posted by Curl_Up&Dye
the whole slavery thing comes into play. a lot of black public speakers say that white people in america still owe them for slavery. i know slavery is a horrible thing, but still racism CAN and DOES go both ways. Slavery is the reason why most white claims of racism dont hold water with authority.... we admitted that it was wrong, we apologized, and for the most part discussion about it causes a lot of problems so we dont want to dwell on it, especially since every conversation about racism almost inevitably goes back to slavery. We still feel bad about slavery, so we pretty much just let claims of racism against whites go.

on the same note its kind of like guys reporting being raped by girls. People just dont see it for what it is, and that it can go both ways. Sorry if that example is a little off-topic..... but me and some people were just talking about the fact that certain groups of people are protected by old fashioned ideas.

Well yeah I know that, its a really stupid thing but also funny when you think about it. I mean many people have become so anti racist that they have become racists

rubber dickie
i wonder what would happen if she asked him "how do you feel about the term cr*cker?"

this is bullsh*t beyond everything else.

whats_my_right
I bet the principal is scared he will have the NAACP and ACLU climbing up his ****. He may get it anyway. Nothing would have been done if she'd called him a cr*cker. First of all...he'd let it go. And if it was reported it would have been deem as "Non-Offensive".

rubber dickie
that's just it. the hypocrycy is astounding.

joeykangaroo
how if he "asked her what she thought of the word" get suspended
is that not over-reacting

whats_my_right
Clearly a case of "Let's take the path of least resistance" thinking that the honor student would never stir things up where as the girl already was.

whats_my_right
Incidentally, the student is serving out his days quietly right now and has apologized to the girl, her family. He stated that he certainly didn't mean to offend her and meant no ill will. And if she felt offended, then infact he deserves the punishment and will serve it.

Interesting fact in this case...the Student Handbook states that the offense he is charged with carries a punishment of 2 day In School Suspension. However, the Principal exercised "Principal Discretion" and increased the penalty. I think he should have to defend this decision if no other.

rubber dickie
Originally posted by whats_my_right
Incidentally, the student is serving out his days quietly right now and has apologized to the girl, her family. He stated that he certainly didn't mean to offend her and meant no ill will. And if she felt offended, then infact he deserves the punishment and will serve it.

i think that's f*cked up. just because she was offended doesn't mean he should get suspended. he had NO ill will, NOTHING. he didn't mean it. he already apologized for something he, technically, did not do. he was merely trying to find an answer from somebody who could give the most intelligent answer, and that was the black girl.

whats_my_right
Agreed.....I'm sure many of us would have done the same thing. To add even more fuel....his question to her came after he was trying to defend the position that the use of this word would be taken as offensive. He was, infact, only looking for support from her. And, Yes, that was because she happened to be black. Whether or not she was the only black person in the class, I do not know.

WillKempsgirl
We should be able to use some curse words like " F**K" ADULTS USE THEM SO THEN WHY NOT US? WHY SHOULD THEY HAVE THE PRIVILEGE TO CURSE WHEN WE'RE NOT ALLOWED.

WillKempsgirl

Interesting fact in this case...the Student Handbook states that the offense he is charged with carries a punishment of 2 day In School Suspension. However, the Principal exercised "Principal Discretion" and increased the penalty. I think he should have to defend this decision if no other.

PEOPLE TAKE THINGS SERIOUSLY. THE GIRL SHOULD HAVE ASK HIM IF HE MENT HER.

rubber dickie
Originally posted by WillKempsgirl
We should be able to use some curse words like " F**K" ADULTS USE THEM SO THEN WHY NOT US? WHY SHOULD THEY HAVE THE PRIVILEGE TO CURSE WHEN WE'RE NOT ALLOWED.

it's a matter of courtesy and civility. it's really not nice to sa f*ck in front of an old lady or your mother. plus, vulgarity is often associated with rudeness and crass. i, myself, don't mind it.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/flash/fwordflash.html

shaber
Am I right in inferring that the term was "negro?" That was used in parliament into the seventies! Times certainly change.

FeceMan
I'd slap that skank.

dark1365
One word: WITNESSES.....

rubber dickie
Originally posted by shaber
Am I right in inferring that the term was "negro?" That was used in parliament into the seventies! Times certainly change.

i'm pretty sure they're talking about the term "n*gger." the term negro is still being used today, like the united negro college fund. the term negro is not something someone would get bent out of shape from. and other culture actually refer to blacks as negroes.

chelsea17
But still...he didn't call her that, he just was trying to see another side to it, if you ask me....I don't think he should've got suspended for it.

Afro Cheese
They definitely should've taken a closer look at the incident.

silver_tears
Completely unfar ruling, what if he had turned to a white student and said the same, would the girl still feel uncomfortable?

The school had no right to punish him based on an open discussion about this topic.

silver_tears

The first part is completely disgusting, the family had nothing to do with it. He should not be made to apologize to them, or to her if he did not mean it as a slur in the first place. The principal as well has no right.

If I was in his place, I would just refuse to do anything. I would make a big fuss over it and ultimately I'd take the school to court.

Kosta
People take to much offense at that word sometimes. The girl over reacted. Unless he said it in some smart a$$ was with intended pun, other than that, she went too far.

whats_my_right
Originally posted by T.M
a discussion on a word is a lot different to calling a person by that word IMO he got off lightly with 3 days and the female student should have beat the shit into him.

I disagree with you completely. If you read the article, he didn't call the girl anything. He merely asked her opinion of how she feels about the word. Harmless enough...that is of course, unless she is sitting ready to be offended by something.

So your position is that she should have "beat the shit into him". If that had happened...do you think that she should be suspended? Or, in your opinion, is that different?

whats_my_right
Personally, I think that every student in that school should be looking for reasons to be offended and report everyone....not stopping at Age, Sex, Creed, or National Origin.

PVS
that kid had brass balls, saying the 'n' word in front of a black person, but it was obviously not aimed at her, and she probably knew that.
some people are just too damn sensative when it comes to this sort of thing. words mean nothing. its the intent behind those words that matter. what happened here is typical PC thug bullshit.

botankus
Personally, I think that every student in that school should be looking for reasons to be offended and report everyone....not stopping at Age, Sex, Creed, or National Origin.

Imagine that, someone who's username is "whats_my_right" thinking that!

....Are you offended yet????

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.