What happened to this force power

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

sexyking
Luke used like a telepath move to contact leia. And so far i havent seen anyone else use a move like that what happened to it and it seems like no one ever talks about it.

Gollum1956
Its a connection of the force.You can even some times get it from good jedi friendship and mainlly from Padawan and Masters.Its a bond with the force between two force sensitive beings.

smoker4
Also they are siblings

Soda
Yoda uses it, 'i sense a disturbance in the force', so did Ben Kenobi in a new hope when alderaan was destroyed...Luke seems to have focused it on connecting to one person, Leia, who is also a jedi potentially...kind of like Jedi SMS

Delta 62
Luke and Mara had several mental connections with C'baoth in the Thrawn trilogy.

Echuu
EU EU EU!!!!!!!! Sorry I just had to do that.

Um; Luke and Anakin/Vader after Leia and Lando rescued him from Bespin.

Ushgarak
Yes, it's not telepathy as such- it is simply sensing the other. Getting a vibe of one word is hardly like telepathic communication- which is self-evidently not possible else they would do it all the time.

PVS
corrected myself in below post

PVS
it is telepathy
vader and luke DID have a conversation through telepathy.

vader:"luke"

luke:"father"

vader:"son"

they communicated back and forth. that is absolutely telepathy.
but at the same time, they ARE father and son, and if force users can communicate through the force, why does palps need to contact vader via hologram? maybe its a family bond thing. good question

Ushgarak
Telepathy is projecting your thoughts into someone else's mind. I do not think for one second that is what was happening in those scnes, They felt the presence of each other, simple as that- repeated by Luke and Vader again in ROTJ when Han flies too close to the Executor.

Like I say, if it was possible, they would do it. They don't. It is just a matter of sensitivity. To call this telepathy is very odd indeed.

So basically, the reason is- there is no such power as force telepathy. But people sense each other all the time in the films.

OB1-adobe
Maybe it only has something to do with people are related. Who knows?

PVS
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Telepathy is projecting your thoughts into someone else's mind. I do not think for one second that is what was happening in those scnes, They felt the presence of each other, simple as that- repeated by Luke and Vader again in ROTJ when Han flies too close to the Executor.

Like I say, if it was possible, they would do it. They don't. It is just a matter of sensitivity. To call this telepathy is very odd indeed.

So basically, the reason is- there is no such power as force telepathy. But people sense each other all the time in the films.

cmon ush, look at the dialogue
i cant believe that they did not understand eachother.
in all other scenes i can see it just being a matter of sensing vibes,
but luke and vader had a conversation.

tpaquin
"I can sense everything going on in there."

I don't see how it disappeared, at all.

Ushgarak
Of course they understood each other! But only by sensing, not through mental projection.

Look, this is simple. You can explain that scene in two ways:

1. Telepathy- never seen at any other point in the films with no evidence that it is remotely possible

2. Sensitivity to the presence of those you have a bond with- as seen all the time in the films, and exactly as seen in ESB again when Yoda senses Anakin's plight in AOTC.

Why the heck would anyone think 1 was more likely than 2?

PVS
Originally posted by tpaquin
"I can sense everything going on in there."

I don't see how it disappeared, at all.

but anakin was sensing vibes.
we are debating whether or not 2 force users can communicate telepathically, through words and not feelings.

Ushgarak
And does Luke try to telepathically talk with Vader in ROTJ, or vice-versa? Yoda is not related to Anakin yet can still hear his articulated feelings (and Qui-Gon's, it seems), so that sinks the idea that it is family based- yet other people close to each other never use telepathy, as you yourself point out.

No, sorry, not credible.

PVS
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Of course they understood each other! But only by sensing, not through mental projection.

Look, this is simple. You can explaint hat scene in two ways:

1. Telepathy- never seen at any other point in the films with no evidence that it is remotely possible

2. Sensitivity to the presence of those you have a bond with- as seen all the time in the films, and exactly as seen in ESB again when Yoda senses Anakin's plight in AOTC.

Why the heck would anyone think 1 was more likely than 2?

i really dont get what you're arguing. telepathy is vague with no explanation(scientifically i mean). if you hear me in your mind saying "whats up ush" and you say "nothing much, how about you?" and i say "eeeeh same old shit."
well, i think thats telepathy, isnt it?

Camo Di Mass
I think something like that is going to be in ROTS ...Anakin will disappear and Yoda will tell obi wan "Use Your Senses Obi Wan and find him you will " or something like that . I guess that's a similar connection to Luke and Leia's cause Obi wan will find Anakin on Mustafar without any tip or anything

El_NINO
Actually in the game KOTOR 2, the 2 main characters use this force power to communicate with each other, its kinda awesome actually cause no matter where you are they will see what you see and hear what you hear.

tlbauerle
Ush....there was a scene cut from ROTJ that mirrors the end of TESB...and it was pretty clear to me that it was telepathy...

I think we're dealing with symantics here...

yodafan
Ok if you look at EU, in the Jedi Apprentice books Obi-Wan communicated to Qui-Gon when he was in great danger. It said that 2 jedi that have a deep connection to eachother can send thoughts of images through the force. In the New Jedi Order books Jane and her brother commincated tactics and all kinds of stuff when they were in a space battle. In fact later several Jedi got together in a space battle and used the force to send images and emotions to eachother. It IS telepathy.

Echuu
But that's EU, it has nothing to do with the films.

Gangularis
how about when vader probe's luke's mind to find out about luke's twin sister? He must've read a word in that mind of his somewhere.

also, i don't think there's anything in this thread that's inherently episode III related.

astrofan428
Also, who in the PT has the strong connections that Vader has with Luke and Luke has with Leia?

brendy
I think its all to do with sensing someones presence in the force.

I mean its blatant if you think about it. Vader sensed Luke on his way to Endor. Vader also sensed Obi Wan on the Death Star.
He even says to himself. "I SENSE something. A PRESENCE I have not felt since...."

SImple as that really.

sexyking
Not really how do you explain the communication.

palpy_666
The question was raised as to why Palpatine couldn't just telepathically communicate to Vader-- that's because based on what we've seen in ESB, "Force telepathy" can be used over very short distances. Luke calls out to Leia while she is still within the atmosphere of Bespin. Vader calls out to Luke while he is still relatively close in space. But once the Falcon goes into Hyperspace, you can tell Vader had no way now of communication with Luke.

I'm not going to mention names, but there's a person who's posted on this thread that thinks they are always right and everyone else is wrong-- I really hate that.

brendy
Originally posted by palpy_666
The question was raised as to why Palpatine couldn't just telepathically communicate to Vader-- that's because based on what we've seen in ESB, "Force telepathy" can be used over very short distances. Luke calls out to Leia while she is still within the atmosphere of Bespin. Vader calls out to Luke while he is still relatively close in space. But once the Falcon goes into Hyperspace, you can tell Vader had no way now of communication with Luke.

Took the words right outta my head.
they gotta be in the presence of the person they want to communicate with. thats what i get from watching those scenes.

Originally posted by palpy_666
I'm not going to mention names, but there's a person who's posted on this thread that thinks they are always right and everyone else is wrong-- I really hate that.

Yeah bugs me too roll eyes (sarcastic)

Red Superfly
They sense feeings and intentions. I don't think they sense actual conversations.

They sense their presence. The "Father, Son, Come With Me" scene is merely Luke and Vader reacting to each others presence and directing their intentions back out again. That is more about a conversation of intent and feeling, with Vader and Luke merely narrating what their intentions are. Hard to explain.

From a movie point of view, Lucas HAD to have the characters talking to show their intent, like when Luke goes "Hear me" - Leia doesn't hear him say "Hear me", she merely knows where he is; a feeling and a connection. The characters say what they feel merely because of cinematic requirements.

The only DIRECT verbal communication comes from Obi-Wan Kenobi in his ghost form. Everything else is merely sensing the other.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.