Why was yoda reluctant to train luke?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Ones
in ep 3 yoda says: "protect these kids we must. our last hope they are". why was yoda so reluctant of training him if he knew he was there last hope

Fishy
Probably because of his daddy, because he was old and no Jedi Material...

He was brash willing arrogant and to trusting in his own abilities.. If yoda would have had a real choice i'm pretty sure he would have just left Luke alone

nolan lepaz
Plus Like his father Luke wasn't brought up in the Jedi temple he had made realm world connections to people he couldn't deny his emotions and Emotions are not good for Jedi to have.

ArthasKnight
They can have emotions, they just have to learn to control them.

Vanquish
In hind sight, Yoda probably feels that training Anakin was a total mistake. He probably feels that by training Luke, who is way too old anyway, would lead to the same, or if not worse consequences then training Anakin did. Remember he felt Anakin was too old, and he was only like 10. Luke is double Anakins age, so his connections to people and places would have been far to strong to train him the normal Jedi way.

He chose to influence, rather then full on train him, which turned out to the be the right decision.

Darth_Janus
I think Vanquish hit the nail on the head here. Well said.

nolan lepaz
Congratulations Vanquish I couldn't have said it bettet so now I'm gonna steal your idea and pass it off as my own bwahaha evil face

OC2-tin-OC
Well I would say that both Voda and Obi were off there heads. If I were Voda I would Train the kids from the moment they open their eyes. No more jedi is alive and both Obi and Voda dont have it in them to kill Sidious or Vader. The children are their only hope. They themselves say that. What use are they unless they are trained real good??. Pretty Idiotic these guys. If only both were trained and taught with all the ancient holograms stored away in Vodas and Obis closets, Luke and leia(inherited with popas medocholians) would have blown old sidious away while passing gas.

admiral ackbar
u obviously need to watch the films more closely if u were true Star wars fan u would see that yoda thinks he is to old to begin training and is rash in his thinking to become a jedi master.

Vanquish
Not to mention the simple fact that Yoda and Obi both fully know how powerful Palps is with the force. If Yoda and Obi went around training new jedi, they would have been identified, and slaughtered before they hit 2 years old. Darth Maul found Qui gon and Obi on a distant obscure planet with ease. Palps could EASILY find new jedi's if there were any and kill them. The whole point of EXILE was to not exist anymore. Leave no trace that they are even alive. That way, when they become force ghosts, they can influence Luke to actually beat the Sith without becoming a full on jedi. Yoda and Obi learned from their past mistakes, and didn't make another one.

spekdah
the fact of the matter is that Luke is in fact the chosen one not anakin and he was always going to destroy the emporer, its just that it all had to come at great cost .i.e the fall of the republic and the rise and fall of the empire

DeVi| D0do
Why didn't Yoda train Luke from birth rather than waiting till he was 'too old'?

As was mentioned Luke, like Anakin was not raised in the Jedi Temple like most Jedi. And like most Jedi he does have emotions and feelings and attachments to others like Anakin. This is what Luke needs in order to defeat Vader. Yoda realised he was wrong not to let Anakin show his emotions and force him to hide them.. and even ask him to let go of them. Yoda realises that these are important to a Jedi which is why he sends Luke to lead a normal life with his Aunt and Uncle. Until Obi Wan thinks the time is right for him to be trained so that he can defeat Vader.

Because, in the end it's his love for his sister that makes him defeat Vader.

... or maybe not. Whatever.

So then indeed why was Yoda reluctant? Has he still not learned the lesson?

Luke: ... (fed up) Oh, I don't even know what I'm doing here, we're wasting our time.

Yoda: (irritated) I cannot teach him. The boy has no patience.

Ben: He will learn patience.

Yoda: Much anger in him. Like his father.

Ben: Was I any different when you taught me?

Yoda: He is not ready.

Luke: Yoda! I am ready. I...Ben! I can be a Jedi. Ben, tell him I'm
ready.

Trying to see Ben, Luke starts to get up but hits his head
on the low ceiling.

Yoda: Ready? What know you of ready? For eight hundred years
have I trained Jedi. My own counsel will I keep on who is to be
trained! A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, the most serious
mind. (to the invisible Ben, indicating Luke) This one a long time
have I watched. All his life as he looked away to the future, to the horizons. Never his mind on where he was. Hmm? What he was
doing. Hmph. Adventure. Heh! Excitement. Heh! A Jedi craves not these things. (turning to Luke) You are reckless!

Luke looks down. He knows it is true.

Ben: So was I, if you remember.

Yoda: He is too old. Yes, too old to begin the training.

Luke thinks he detects a subtle softening in Yoda's voice.

Luke: But I've learned so much.

Yoda turns his piercing gaze on Luke, as though the Jedi
Master's huge eyes could somehow determine how much the boy
had learned. After a long moment, the little Jedi turns toward
where he alone sees Ben.

Yoda: (sighs) Will he finished what he begins?

Luke: I won't fail you -- I'm not afraid.

Yoda: (turns slowly toward him) Oh, you will be. You will be.

DeVi| D0do
Yoda wants Luke to be afraid... even though that leads to the dark side? Confusing, this is.

So from this we can say that Yoda is reluctant because Luke: has no patience, has much anger (which he wants him to have confused ), doesn't have a serious mind, doesn't focus on the here and now, is reckless, and is too old. The last of which I think is just an excuse much like Obi Wan's "I don't know where the Emperor has sent him".

But if the idea was to wait until Luke was ready... how much longer did ya wanna wait Yod'?

Maybe Yoda was just testing Luke

DeVi| D0do
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
As was mentioned Luke, like Anakin was not raised in the Jedi Temple like most Jedi. And like most Jedi he does have emotions and feelings and attachments to others like Anakin. This is what Luke needs in order to defeat Vader. Yoda realised he was wrong not to let Anakin show his emotions and force him to hide them.. and even ask him to let go of them. Yoda realises that these are important to a Jedi which is why he sends Luke to lead a normal life with his Aunt and Uncle. Until Obi Wan thinks the time is right for him to be trained so that he can defeat Vader.
No that makes no sense. All of Yoda's teachings to Luke are exactly the same as those he taugh in the Temple all those years ago. And Luke leaves his training to help Han and Leia and ends up getting whooped buy Vader. He leaves because he is attached to his friends. His 'fellings for them are strong'.

Just debating with myself here guys... I do it all the time. Don't worry, I'm not schitzophrenic... I don't think.

spekdah
personally I think the one thing we are all forgetting is the fact that Yoda also has feelings for loved ones, friends etc.

At the end of Ep3 I really do think that Yoda looks disallusioned, defeated and hurt by the whole set of circumstances that have transpired and probably feels as though he is in some way to blame for what has happened due to the fact that even HE could not use his power to save Anakin and the Republic, and especially the younglings, from the tragic events to the point where he flee's feeling disgraced and beaten.
I think his expeirience with Anakin may go some way towards explaining his apprehension of training Luke, and the fact that Luke is "much like his father" would support this.
For Luke to fail and go to the dark side would be Yoda repeating the same failure again.

Yodas apprehension of Luke is warranted

The Ones
Originally posted by spekdah
the fact of the matter is that Luke is in fact the chosen one not anakin and he was always going to destroy the emporer, its just that it all had to come at great cost .i.e the fall of the republic and the rise and fall of the empire

no he isnt. vader/anakin destroyed sidious. not luke. then anakin destroyed vader by coming back to the light. anakin was the chosen one. he destroyed the sith. not luke

thanks guys.

Grand Moff Gav
yoda thought luke might turn to the dark side

The Ones
i wouldve

darth_haku
Halloza I am new but I shaure no alot about starwars

on this matter I agree with admril akbar!!!!

kanis
alien It might actually have been he was unsure about himself, and if he could train luke enough so he woulden't go to the dark side. I mean it musn't have been easy for him training luke when he hasn't trained anybody for a long time.

Thornbane
Originally posted by spekdah

Erm?

Where'd you get that idea?

The Ones
its just random bullshit that isnt true

green dude
If you red Devil Dodo wrote then thisw ould explain Yoda sensed fear in Anikan when he was a boy and they inorged his feeling and his fear and lack of patience. Luke Anikans son was like him but how could Yoda be sure so he Yoda: (irritated) I cannot teach him. The boy has no patience.

Yoda: Much anger in him. Like his father.

Yoda: Ready? What know you of ready? For eight hundred years
have I trained Jedi. My own counsel will I keep on who is to be
trained! A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, the most serious
mind. (to the invisible Ben, indicating Luke) This one a long time
have I watched. All his life as he looked away to the future, to the horizons. Never his mind on where he was. Hmm? What he was
doing. Hmph. Adventure. Heh! Excitement. Heh! A Jedi craves not these things. (turning to Luke) You are reckless!

Yoda: He is too old. Yes, too old to begin the training.

Yoda was trying to judge by his reactions like his dad he got angery when he didn't become Jedi Master so Yoda tried to drive Lukes will determination and his anger but at the end of the discussion he showed no anger so he gave in and decided to train him and in this quot Yoda: (sighs) Will he finished what he begins? Luke I won't fail you -- I'm not afraid. Yoda: (turns slowly toward him) Oh, you will be. You will be.
and if he fears the dark side he won't join then. big grin

xyz jedi
right green dude you are. Thank you I will. For your word of wisdom.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.