NJO books

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jeggie
Which one do u thinks the best?

yerssot
Star by Star; finally someone died big grin (haven't read Vector Prime)

VengeanceGOD
Traitor, brilliant book. Star by Star had someone die, yeah, but it was written crappily.

Baylin
Someone very important died in Vector Prime! The mighty Chewtobacca got killed by a falling planet... sad

jeggie
I liked star by star but it was 2 long winded
prefer the latest once

Trinity_Matrix
I've read about 5 or 6 of them...in no particular order, of course...messed

SlayerChick1188
someone use spoilers and tell me who died in Star by Star?

VengeanceGOD
Anakin solo

SlayerChick1188
OH YEAH...I forgot big grin I think i knew that already! embarrasment thanks Vengeance

jeggie
well has any one read all of them ?

yerssot
not all of them but around 3/4th

think Julie has reade them all

Dexx
traitor is the ebst i've read. But the njo series is kind of ...sucky smile
haven't read them all....but star by star isn't the only book where someone dies. chewie dies in vector prime

yerssot
why sucky dexx?

JediOasis
I thought it ended brilliantly with The Unifying Force, and overall the series was great. I read all the books and I'd say the best one was probably either TUF or the Dark Tide duology way back at the beginning. Traitor was well written but I didn't like the character of Veregere, her theory on the Force contradicts everything SW is about.

Dexx
well....that's every author's own separate vision over star wars, there oasis. vergere wasn't all that sweet, but i like the book because it offers insight on how ONE character can become more powerful. I don't have any books that follow traitor..so i don't know how jacen acts in those next ones....with his new aquired vision on the force....

why sucky, yers?..well..because they're superficial.....and mostly all the same.

yerssot
it's star wars, dexx roll eyes (sarcastic)

VengeanceGOD
Um...how exactly does you think it does that? I never took it that way, I took it as expanding on the mythos of the force in a great way.

Plus, I was disappointed with the overall conclusion of why no one could feel the Vong in the force. They should've been what Vergere thought, just a part of the force the Jedi hadn't learned to access yet, not stripped of it. Sorry, I thought that was just stupid.

JediOasis
When Vergere says that there is no dark side of the force, it goes against everything that is in all the movies. Don't get me wrong, Traitor was entertaining, I just didn't like that particular aspect. Ganner's last stand was perhaps my favorite part of the whole New Jedi Order. Also, I never really liked the character of Jacen, but that is a whole other issue. Personally, the way the Vong and the Force are dealt with, I thought was brilliant. Throughout the whole series it was just assumed that the Jedi were wrong in their using of the Force, but it was something else entirely. Sure, the series had its faults(Dark Journey, SBS, and Jedi Eclipse) but for the size and scope of it, it was done very well.

Trinity_Matrix
Meh, I think they're okay...a lot better than some of the other Star Wars books I've read.

And on Yerss's suggestion I bought Star by Star yesterday...I'm about halfway through it, I'd have finished it by now but I keep getting interrupted mad stupid family should know better than to bug me when I'm trying to read...

Rogue Jedi
best njo book? star by star....hands down.

VengeanceGOD
How does there being no malevolent part of the force go against the movies? Neither Obi-wan nor Yoda ever says that the Dark Side is something actually there in the Force itself. Luke just ASSUMED that. It makes more sense for the Dark Side to be within the person, as it makes Anakin actually culpable for his fall, as opposed to just a poor pathetic victim. The force has no light or dark side, it just IS.

Rogue Jedi
i couldnt have put that better (hands vengeance god a beer) the force is the force, thats it. what you do with it is your choice. good or bad, sith or jedi, whatever.

Dexx
yes...
ofcourse...that is considering matthew stover's view on the whole star wars philosophy. he has a particular view on it..also visible in shatterpoint. But that's his affair and it doesn't have to be close to lucas'
Afterall...i don't think gl meant for sw to be a philosophical movie wink

JediOasis
Its clearly stated in ESB that "once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny." If the dark side is just within the person, then you would be flip-flopping back and forth depending on your mode at that time. If you disagree, then so be it, but saying there is no such thing as the darkside contradicts the SW movies.

Rogue Jedi
so, once evil always evil.

JediOasis
Based on the SW movies, yes, once evil always evil. Sure, Anakin turned back but he was the first. If Yoda had been a Jedi for 800+ years I think he would know a little bit about the Force. If he says there is a darkside, its hard to argue.

VengeanceGOD
How does that quote prove anything? Hitler was on a "dark path" and no malevolent energy force influenced HIM. Yoda is not saying that no one can ever come back, he's just saying that the darkside will always dominate your destiny. It's like saying "once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic." The temptation will always be there, but in no way does that quote ever state that the Dark Side is a malevolent force.

For another example, let's look at the first time the Dark Side is mentioned. "Vader was seduced by the Dark Side of the Force." Obi-wan says that. Does that necessarily mean that some evil energy reached out and grabbed him? No. It means very simply that the power the force could provide overwhelmed him, leading him to use it by selfish means. Yoda himself NEVER says that there is a Dark Side in the sense that Luke and you always assumed.

Julie
WHoa...you people haven't read the entire series yet????????????? What;s taking you? Get on it!
Yes, er by the way, the NJO is an excellent series...from start to finish....I thought a few near the beginning were annoying, but after that they got considerably better. Destiny's way is great...SBS was great...Dark Journey was ok, Unifying Force was wonderful....though weak at points. I think I liked Conquest so much I reread it...I know I did that with Rebel Dream. I asked the author about the title...he gave me a wishywashy answer....basically saying that both symbolic meanings were correct.

Rogue Jedi
this is true, julie.

Julie
What'd you think of Rebel Dream???? I don't oft hear people talk of it like it was their fav...and I'm not even sure if it was mine, but I rememnber liking it a lot

Rogue Jedi
it was pretty good.

VengeanceGOD
I loved Rebel Dream/Stand. Really well written and also the best covers on a Star Wars novel yet.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.