Lions.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

T.M
Im Welsh and i just saw that the Lions team only has 3 welsh players in it.

no one can deny that out of the 4 nations Wales are playing the best rugby.

but still an English coach excludes them in favour of English players.

am i the only one who thinks that Woodward is biased towards English player.

Give honest opinions dont just say no because u are English or whatever.

koolruningz
Im English mate and i think you got shafted. The team should be picked on form not reputation.

T.M
i know 3 Welsh players is a joke

whirlysplat
big grin A lot of players who would have altered the five six nations outcome but have retired have been picked.

T.M
i know how the HELL can u pick retired players over players who are playing some of the most exciting rugby in the world.

whirlysplat
Well when its people like Martin Johnson, with ease big grin and if Jonny is firing even at 70% his penalty option requires him to play.

The Lions is a bout players not national sides or national pride amongst the home nations.

T.M
so u are telling me a 70% fit Wilkinson is better than an 100% fit Jones or O' Gara ??

i dont think so.

koolruningz
It completely defeats the purpose of the players playing hard all year to get in the Lions team if they are just going to take the most popular ones, whether they have been playing well or not. As for taking retired players, that is crap. Whats the point of all the other players at Johnsons position playing their socks off to get into the team? when he can just waltz in after taking a year off and go straight into the team. Im as patriotic as the next Englishman but im not stupid. Wales were the best team this year by a long way so it needs to be mostly Welsh players, thats just common sense.

T.M
yes

Auror Chk
Originally posted by koolruningz
It completely defeats the purpose of the players playing hard all year to get in the Lions team if they are just going to take the most popular ones, whether they have been playing well or not. As for taking retired players, that is crap. Whats the point of all the other players at Johnsons position playing their socks off to get into the team? when he can just waltz in after taking a year off and go straight into the team. Im as patriotic as the next Englishman but im not stupid. Wales were the best team this year by a long way so it needs to be mostly Welsh players, thats just common sense.

Im not welsh or english but I agree with the arguement of not having equal countries in the Lions Team. While watching the Lions game one of the Commentators said "its as if theres an English pack out there".. Keith Quin said that in which hes the best at commentating the Rugby Games lol..
But it is quite sad and I know alot of ppl over in Wales or Scotland are thinking the same thing.. sadly though nothing can be done unless something miraculous happens... heh.. I just hope its worth the thousands of dollars people have paid to watch them play the ABz.. But I guess the ABz can have their bad "years" aswell HA lol..

T.M
in the paper today it said that Jonny Wilkinson was the only player who played well enough to show that they could beat NZ but from what i saw the only result i can see is NZ owning them cause the lions played shit against Argentina.

koolruningz
A team of good players does not necessarily make a good team. The Lions are the prime example.

whirlysplat
Well looks like you got your wish my welsh friend as the "great" Laurence and his "world championship winning level" of loose forward play his been removed. sad and yes I think World Champions who have been injured or retired should be in the team big grin

baracustastic
Well the lions were awesome, rubbish then quite good all in the same game.

Hreat with the ball, some dodgy tackling and defense.

O'Gara's kicking sorted things out though.

A pity Gordon Bulloch didn't have the best of games. Looks like the test side will be without a Scot.

In the scheme of things........

Splitting the party into midweek and test sides very rarely works. Using players retired from international class rugby in the biggest international tour is daft. O'Driscoll doesn't seem like the best choice for Captain, not rreally a leader of men, hugely talented, but it is not often that the most gifted are the best leaders.

There's more than 3 welshmen in the party and I would imagine more than three in test side. Peel, Jones, Henson, Owen, maybe Thomas.

Should be a very good tour

whirlysplat
Originally posted by baracustastic
Well the lions were awesome, rubbish then quite good all in the same game.

Hreat with the ball, some dodgy tackling and defense.

O'Gara's kicking sorted things out though.

A pity Gordon Bulloch didn't have the best of games. Looks like the test side will be without a Scot.

In the scheme of things........

Splitting the party into midweek and test sides very rarely works. Using players retired from international class rugby in the biggest international tour is daft. O'Driscoll doesn't seem like the best choice for Captain, not rreally a leader of men, hugely talented, but it is not often that the most gifted are the best leaders.

There's more than 3 welshmen in the party and I would imagine more than three in test side. Peel, Jones, Henson, Owen, maybe Thomas.

Should be a very good tour

The provinces are speakinglaughing

Auror Chk
I hope its a good tour.. for all those fanz that bought a couple of thousand dollars worth of tickets.. oh who am i kidding i dont give a crap LOL.. i just want to watch it.. oOoo i saw the Barmy-Army.. they looked great in the crowd... eventually the AB fans will drown them in black in the up coming games wink hehe..

T.M
Laurence dellalio how ever u spell the guys name shouldn't even be playing he was caught selling drugs for god sake and nothing was said.

wuTa
when i seen the title of the thread i was luck "Holy Shit!!!, a Detriot Lions Thread!!!!!! eek!. i knew i wasnt the only Lions fan on KMC, YESSS!!!" than i came in here and its a rugby team, i'd like to thank you all for dashing my hopes and dreams of having a community for the detriot lions mad

P.S for those of you who don't know the Detriot Lions are....they are an American Football Team, and are one of the, if not the WORST team in the league

whirlysplat
Originally posted by wuTa
when i seen the title of the thread i was luck "Holy Shit!!!, a Detriot Lions Thread!!!!!! eek!. i knew i wasnt the only Lions fan on KMC, YESSS!!!" than i came in here and its a rugby team, i'd like to thank you all for dashing my hopes and dreams of having a community for the detriot lions mad

P.S for those of you who don't know the Detriot Lions are....they are an American Football Team, and are one of the, if not the WORST team in the league

Do the Detroit Lions play a game anyone else in the World does. Probably not!!!This is the British Lions something important.

whirlysplat
Originally posted by T.M
Laurence dellalio how ever u spell the guys name shouldn't even be playing he was caught selling drugs for god sake and nothing was said.

Its spelt Dallaglio as in "World Cup Winner" big grin

confused He wasn't caught selling them, just bragging about taking them to a girl who happened to be a Journo. Haven't you ever made a mistake round a pretty girl?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/rugby/news/1999/05/25/dallaglio/

big grin

baracustastic
I wonder how it was ever possible for people to dislike the English?

Maybe we should ask Whirlysplat if he could shed some light on the conundrum?

whirlysplat
I wonder how it was ever possible for people to dislike the English?

Maybe we should ask Whirlysplat if he could shed some light on the conundrum?

Hey I was best man at a Welsh Pals wedding in Cardiff last Feb big grin I have nothing against the provinces big grin

Auror Chk
Well overall, how do you think the Lions Team is going to play throughout the Tour from what you see so far?

baracustastic
From 1 game, with half the squad yet to play?

Hard to say anything.

ALthough the idea of splitting the squad in 2 is a very bad idea IMO. It effectively tells half the party that they haven't a prayer of playing in the big games. Crushing the moral and creating bad feelings.

This plan failed against the Aussies 4 years ago and NZ 12 years ago. The only tour in recent years not to adopt this approach was '97 against the World Champ South Africans. The much maligned and underrated Lions won the test series.

whirlysplat
From 1 game, with half the squad yet to play?

Hard to say anything.

ALthough the idea of splitting the squad in 2 is a very bad idea IMO. It effectively tells half the party that they haven't a prayer of playing in the big games. Crushing the moral and creating bad feelings.

This plan failed against the Aussies 4 years ago and NZ 12 years ago. The only tour in recent years not to adopt this approach was '97 against the World Champ South Africans. The much maligned and underrated Lions won the test series.

Taranaki tommorrow we will know more then, New Zealand will always be hard to beat big grin sadly, even for the mighty Lions big grin

T.M
what was the score today ?

i missed it DAMN SCHOOL mad

baracustastic
36-14 to the Lions.

hodgson 4 pens, 2 cons

Murphy x 2, Horgan, Corry

Cussiter and Hodgson were the best players.

Owen, Murphy, Horgan all did well.

Forwards were a bit shit really. Got a hiding in the scrum and the rucking left a bit to be desired.

7-6 to Taranaki at HT.

Fitness told in the end.

Much improvement needed.

T.M
big game next against the Maori 8 fully capped NZ players in their team should be close

whirlysplat
It was terrible, especially the kicking game, the backs lacked edge except O'Driscoll and Thompsons throwing was terrible.

Auror Chk
well lets just say im proud of the NZ Maori Team. They played great and hard against the Mighty Lions. 13 - 19 to the NZ Maori Team.

Even though most of the points were made up by penalties.

One Try per team. Leon McDonald doing it for the NZ Maori and O'Driscoll I think for the Lions.

It kind of got boring for awhile. I love watching speed lol.. Felt sorry for Steve Walsh but the commentators said he likes that kind of stuff.. getting crap on both sides... I like Steve Walsh that hunky guy HA LOL..

Ok outside of the game.. I love singing the national NZ anthem in english and Maori. And the Haka was like heart stopping.. well for me.. its better then the ABz Haka i reckon..

BTW Graham Henry announced the AB team.. But I guess i should post that in the Official Rugby/Rugby League thread lol..

T.M
Terrible is a bit of an understatement i think.

it was more in the lines (or not in line big grin ) of atrocious he couldn't pick out anyone.

on the plus side though Wales beat Canada big grin

whirlysplat
Lets say were improving but is it quick eough, Shame Johnson retired we need a leader.

T.M
lucky to beat southland IMO

Hicky was awful.

Henson played well how aint he in the Test team.

koolruningz
I agree with you about Henson, he had a great game. Also the number 8 (not sure of his name but i believe he is Welsh) has impressed me. Wilkinson shouldn't be in the test team, he has only played one game and was AWOL for that one. Hogeson should be starting in the first test.
In all honesty though (and remember I'm English through and through) the All Blacks are going to destroy any team that Clive puts out there. They have been poor in every game, no creativity, no execution and no clue really. I hope they can prove me wrong, I'll be cheering for them on Saturday no matter what but it doesn't look good.

T.M
u mean Ryan Jones ?

yeah he had a great game.

i predicted the team for the 2nd test and i got it right so i hope they win/

whirlysplat
I blame the Welsh, Scottish and Irish players big grin

pr1983
Originally posted by whirlysplat
I blame the Welsh, Scottish and Irish players big grin

they have an english manager... so you can't blame others... o'driscoll got f*cking powerbombed and nothing happened...

baracustastic
You could blame the Scots........If the english fool of a coach had picked any of them. Woodward arsed it good n proper.

Was a dirty, needless tackle on O'Driscoll. Nutball Grewcock gets 2 months for biting some fingers and Umaga/muliawotshisface get **** all for spearing. Not the reason why the Lions got destroyed though.

NZ kicked ass, better players, better prepared, better coached.

As a Scot I feel distanced from the situation, unconnected.

pr1983

NZ kicked ass, better players, better prepared, better coached.

yeah...

Auror Chk
I agree.... BETTER players, prepared and coached.

Spare tackle? pfft thats just going into all that he said she said crap. We all saw it and it was a done deal. Suck it up and move on because that isnt supprising coming from Rugby. I feel sorry for O'Driscoll dont get me wrong but having a hit like that should have made Woodward want to beat the ABz even harder by training even harder.

Both teams played dirty in the first test but the spare tackle was a bang 1 2 3 job plus everyone has their own side to the story. Unfortunately and Lions player got injured but like I said thats how the sport goes. Its rough and can be a ***** but thats what makes fans like me love it more wink

2nd Test, the Lions pulled out all stops and played a great game. Making those few changes made a difference. Unfortunately they still came out on the wrong side and lost 18-48 to the All Blacks.

Next Test this Saturday and next Lions game this Tuesday.

The Lions vs Auckland.

Go AUCKLAND!!!!

whirlysplat
Who coached the world cup winning side of 2003? the big problem is to many greats had recently retired. I don't just include the english in this I mean real leaders like Wood etcbig grin

and Bara do you think Scots would have really helped big grin

Bless embig grin

koolruningz
We can cling to the world cup winners mantle just like we do for the football world cup of 1966, but the fact of the matter is right now the All Blacks are far superior to the Lions in every department. Not only did they shred us to pieces when they attacked but their defense in the 2nd half was amazing. The Lions did themselves proud and nobody could fault their effort and heart but that does you no good if you are outclassed at every position.
Clive picked a much better squad but any combination would have got the same treatment, they made the mistake of trowing mud all week and that just fired the All Blacks up. I still believe Wilkinson shouldn't have been on the tour and now it looks like his injured again, as for Robinson, he should have stayed home. I must say Gareth Thomas is a class act, he played a great game and lead from the front. He also excepted the defeat with dignity which is something Clive could learn from him.
I'm pleased for the fans who traveled all this way to support their team and were badly let down in the first test, this performance was was one to be proud of but they came up against the best All Black team I've seen in years, there's no shame in being beaten by a great team.

T.M
Originally posted by koolruningz
We can cling to the world cup winners mantle just like we do for the football world cup of 1966, but the fact of the matter is right now the All Blacks are far superior to the Lions in every department. Not only did they shred us to pieces when they attacked but their defense in the 2nd half was amazing. The Lions did themselves proud and nobody could fault their effort and heart but that does you no good if you are outclassed at every position.
Clive picked a much better squad but any combination would have got the same treatment, they made the mistake of trowing mud all week and that just fired the All Blacks up. I still believe Wilkinson shouldn't have been on the tour and now it looks like his injured again, as for Robinson, he should have stayed home. I must say Gareth Thomas is a class act, he played a great game and lead from the front. He also excepted the defeat with dignity which is something Clive could learn from him.
I'm pleased for the fans who traveled all this way to support their team and were badly let down in the first test, this performance was was one to be proud of but they came up against the best All Black team I've seen in years, there's no shame in being beaten by a great team.

True

and only in that game did i realise how good Daniel Carter was he controlled the game from the start and Wilkinson had no answer for him he is truly the best out side half in the world at the moment without a shadow of a doubt

koolruningz
Totally agree, i have the luxury of seeing Dan Carter play all the time over here and hes poise for someone so young is amazing. He does most of the things Wilkinson does just as well and is far more devastating with the ball in hand. Jonny will be back no doubt, i think it was a mistake to bring him out here when he was not 100% and i hope this new injury isn't too serious.
The Lions may have a bit of trouble against the Aucklanders tonight, they are probably the most demoralised they have been on the tour at the moment. After the 1st test they knew they could play better and maybe win, but after giving it everything in the 2nd and still getting monstered they have got to be feeling down. It would be nice for them to get something out of the tour (other than seeing the yawning gap between us and NZ) and remain unbeaten against the Provence's.
The Lions fans have been great, thats true support there. The football "fans" could learn alot from them, imagine the riots if it was the England football team getting demolished last Saturday. The Lions fans are an example of how to enjoy the game regardless of the score.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.