The Dark Crystal.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Johnlindsey289
An underappreciated 1982 fantasy epic from Jim Henson and Frank Oz about an alien world where a powerful universal source called " The Dark Crystal" has created two races, the cruel evil skeckis and the peace loving Mystics. Thousands of years ago, the Skeckis has ruled gaining enternal energy from the crystal by the sun's power, now the three suns will soon line up to make power on the Crystal so the Skeckis will rule forever, however there is a prophecy which a gelfling ( Elf-like being) that must find the long lost missing shard of the crystal from a wisewoman named Aughra then joins up with two new friends and has to head to the castle of the crystal so he can heal it before the three suns touch or else the world and galaxy will be doom.

It's a unique and one-of-a-kind fantasy experience unlike you've never seen before, it's performened entirely by puppets and animatronics with great special effects and it's totally amazing even in these days of CGI.

Strongly recommended! it's been a favorite of mine for so long yet i still love it.

Pandemoniac
I greatly admire Jim Hensons work, and The Dark Crystal, along with labyrinth, truly displays the man's genius creativity. Not to mention the incredible afford put in to those movies, everything is hand-made and animated using puppeteers and relative simple mechanics, yet it looks soooo cool. Jim Henson was capable of making moss appearing as the best pet in the world, just by making it move gently while blinking innocent eyes...His attention to detail has yet to be matched.
The Dark Crystal is in fact the first movie that actually that scared me (ok, saw it for the first time at the age of 8 or something) and introduced me to a world of movies beyond the sugar-coated disney-crap.
Even now I find myself greatly affected to the characters when I see the movie. While, after all, they are just puppets.

Well, I guess it's hard to dislike the Muppetshow, but if you're curious about the true depth of Jim Hensons talent, go see The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth

gentmax
I agree. The Dark Crystal is an excellent watch.

xcarnage
Yes, often overlooked and\or unheard of. But sometimes it's good to keep the unexploited and cherished things hidden.

frau
That movie seriously freaked me out as a kid... Great movie though and I've watched it many times since. I think it started me on the path to loving movies that scare me. smile

Give me a mediocre creepy movie over even the best comedy any day. big grin

BaronOBeefDip
I remember seeing The Dark Crystal when I was little. The Skeckis scared the crap out of me. Of course, I was only four back then.

Filmmaker451
I have to see this movie and labyrinth. Everybody keeps talking about how great they are. Well i have around two years to see it so I have enough time. Why two years. On comingsoon.net It's been mentioned that a sequel is in the works '' The power of the dark crystal '' due in 2007.

ickeris2003
This is a great movie and I barely saw it this yr. My uncle lended it to me. I really liked it a lot. great story line

Fearnix
I love Dark Crystal. i was pleasantly serprised to see they had realised it on dvd.

FLICKNAVY
Are they really making a sequel? I don't know about that. Jim Henson is dead, it won't be the same. Hope no one ruins it.

Pandemoniac
His son took over, and he has the skills to pay the bills. It could be good...

LLG
I've seen it, but it was a while ago.

Johnlindsey289
Originally posted by xcarnage
Yes, often overlooked and\or unheard of. But sometimes it's good to keep the unexploited and cherished things hidden.

Damn right about that!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.