The Nooooooo scene [Merged]

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jedi_KnightAlly
Did anyone else think this was just not darth vader?

The point when Vader asks sidious, What happened to padme? And sidious replys... You killed her.

He then does a ridiculous "NOOOOOOOOOO"

That was so badly done.

zavin
yes, i looked like vader was screaming noo in a very fake way, and at the same time was losing balance, he was like going forward backward

Jedi_KnightAlly
Yeah, i felt this just wasn't darth vader, it just wasn't done right.

I wouldn't say it ruined the movie though, but i thought oh right at it.

Darth_Vader05
People this is when Darth Vader is still human he isnt fully evil until A New Hope come on people.

Lazerlike42
I don't think it was great, but at the same time if you look at the emotional context of it (with all Anakin's gone through and fought for and what he's done to save her and then to lose her) it makes sense. On top of that, remember it is a very young and immature Darth Vader we see in this film as opposed to the more wisened one of the OT.

BAILY
That scene was fine.. why is everyone nitpicking every little scene.... it came across as cheesy, because Star Wars is a cheesy movie.. it is supposed to be.. i enjoyed every bit of the movie.. i got no complaints.... except not enough Bail Organa

Jedi_KnightAlly
I loved the movie in every other part.... just that was so cheesy

bilb
It just should have been a deepere, more primal scream. JEJ has def got the voice to pull this off so lets hear him just GO FOR IT!!

((The_Anomaly))
i agree, the "NOOOOOOO" was pretty bad, a little more anger and realism, maybe vader dropping to his knees and stuff flying around him destroying the room or something would have been better, but oh well...

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by BAILY
That scene was fine.. why is everyone nitpicking every little scene.... it came across as cheesy, because Star Wars is a cheesy movie.. it is supposed to be.. i enjoyed every bit of the movie.. i got no complaints.... except not enough Bail Organa

Bad timing. It was just cartoonish, and a total mood killer.

Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
i agree, the "NOOOOOOO" was pretty bad, a little more anger and realism, maybe vader dropping to his knees and stuff flying around him destroying the room or something would have been better, but oh well...

..thaaaaat would have made it worse, IMO. Dropping to his knees, he should have went for Sidious, who betrayed him, and never taught him how to save Padme, not that Lucas could remember that was the whole reason he switched teams.

Gundark
I agree with Baily - the scene was fine. It was obvious Vader was crushed when Sidious told him that lie. Vader just acquired new knees, remember (Palpy sure isn't one for the luxury of anesthesia...) I don't think he'd be 'dropping' to them.

Would have been extra drama, to be sure. But Vader was emotionally devasted no less.

Lana
I thought it was done kinda cheesily and it did strike me as being OOC for Vader....but then I remembered that it was Vader JUST being put in the suit. He was an emotional wreck at the moment. We're not USED to Vader acting like that, we're used to him being cold and collected like in the OT. So it bothered me kinda and I think it could have been done better, but it was okay. Certainly could have been worse.

Lazerlike42
I disagree about the scream... This movie shows us Anakin's turn to the dark side being one of weakness and fear. Look at the scene after Mace dies.... It's the best example. You can see there that Anakin essentially lets his weak emotions and mind and his fear be manipulated into helping Sidious. After Mace dies, he realizes he has done wrong and helped evil. He says "what have I done?" Looking at his face tells it all. He could very easily just turn and attack Sidious, but he doesn't because he is too weak to do anything other than submit.

When he tells Sidious he pledges himself to him, it isn't a pledge based on his actual belief in evil or anything. It's based on, well I've gone this far I have to keep going. He's too weak to stop. It's the same kind of weakness and immaturity that gets a lot of teenagers into trouble when they realize they are doing something wrong, but just feel so trapped because they have gone this far and they feel like it's too late.

So don't picture Darth Vader in all his fury yelling "Nooooo," picture a confused, araid, trapped teenager who's gotten himself in too deep and doesn't know what to do.

Gundark
Well said, Lazer ! Well said.

Darth_Nefarus
As long as a cheesy moment makes sense to the story or the character, it works.

Lazerlike42
Actually, I think it adds more depth to the ROTJ line "It's too late for me, son," than was already there!

nutella-spatz
I didn't like this scene. I was really sad at that moment. I knew the movie was soon at it'S end and everything was so .. yea really tragic and then this "Nooo" scream came and I had to laugh a bit, because it didn't suit him and it was way too cheesy.
I think a good part was, that everything seemed in tense and the surroundings were destroyed (not really, but I don't know how to express)....
There could've been a bit more of that and perhaps the other people going to their knees to show the anger in that room and Darth Vader bowing his head to show his regret and pain.

Cinemaddiction
To be honest, had he said "Why" instead of "No", I think it would have been a lot more effective. "Why" makes more sense, IMO, questioning his turn, and why he did nothing to save her.

Ben-Kenobi
I dont care about that scene it made vader seem like a freaking pansey, I swear after that scene i barely have any respect for Darth Vader

Darth_Nefarus
Dude, he turned to the darkside, but he was still in love. I mean the scene works because that's what anyone who woke up and found out their loved one was dead because of you. I mean the no is cheesy, but he does pretty much mess up everything int he room

Ben-Kenobi
O wow he crushed a couple droids i mean come on i would of loved to see him thowing clone troopers around the room if their were any, its an ok scene but i just thougt it was cheesy.

Darth_Nefarus
Yes, it was cheesy, and it was supposed to be. Star Wars in general is pretty cheesy if you think about it. The NOOOO just made it seem that Vader's humanity was completely gone, although we know it is restored.

Cinemaddiction
There is a lot of cheesy scenes in Star Wars, but his one was totally out of place.

Ben-Kenobi
I would of prefered him yelling out ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH in a angrey tone plus hayden looked like he was about to fall over in that suit.

ArthasKnight
Well think about it, he was just put in the suit so it's awkward for Vader. He has yet to get used to it. I'm sure you'd stumble too.

forumcrew
Originally posted by Jedi_KnightAlly
Yeah, i felt this just wasn't darth vader, it just wasn't done right.

I wouldn't say it ruined the movie though, but i thought oh right at it.

its still anakin he just has a suit on.. hes not as old and bitter as in the OT it makes perfect sense that he is upset, and perfect sense he cant walk great seeing as he has to fake legs hes never used before.

WindDancer

The point when Vader asks sidious, What happened to padme? And sidious replys... You killed her.

That was so badly done.

Actually no I don't think it was ridiculous or cheesy. This scene is very reminiscence to Frankestein. The creature is incredible pain and releases all his pain at once. The scene that I found to be cheesy was when Obi says to Anakin "I love you"

I thought Jedi's weren't allowed to love? stick out tongue

ShadowKing
It was supposed to be like his last shred of humanity leaving him...even though he screwed up...he still had the hope that he had saved Padme..also notice how much Palp's is eating up Vader's pain... I wasn't bothered by the "Nooooo..." so much as I was by the lack of damage in the room. From all the spoilers and stuff, I thought it was going to be more electric...more dynamic..

peluffo
So frankeinstein-ish, I don't like it either.

The Last Son
I want to know why Sidious would tell him that. Did he think if he found out his wife died the way he saw in his dream and his inability to help her would make him leave his master? Or just to cut off all ties to anything resembling family for Vader.

astrofan428
I had no porblem with him saying no, but JEJ could have put more into it. As far as the frankenstien connection, remember the guy just got 2 new legs and put on about 80 pounds.

Ewoksaredumb
Revenge of the Sith

I was so disappointed! Not since Return of the Jedi have I been so disappointed. Look I hold Star Wars very sacred...and ROTJ is sacred in parts but by judging from my screen name you might have guessed that I'm not a big ewok fan.

Anyway back to the issue at hand. I agree with most of the posts here. There was way too much lightsaber action which took away the "awe" factor when they were limited in the other installments.
Usually at the end.
Bad things about ROTS...
1. I think the mitichlorian theory and the possibility that Anakin is possibly Palp's son is just plain ubsurd. The prophecy was untrue.
2.The Qui-Gon factor was completely unexplained. No voice over. 3.Grevious hacking like a sickened person but yet strong enough to fight. The window blast scene in the Grevious chamber when Gen. Grev escapes ( no one dies or gets sucked out).
4. The wookies werent in it enough.
5. Not enough time to get really attached to anyone character it moved at an incredibly fast pace.
6. Darth Vader is in the movie on the gurney in full amor and cape?...please. And don't get me started on the "lost the will to live line" and The "Noooooooo" line.

But after all this bitching I thought the worst scene out of all the scenes and should have been cut, was that awful scene of Anakin slaying children. (Twice) ...Bad just purely a bad scene. Overall I'd say yeah...disappointed but hell its Star Wars.

I loved the yoda fight scene and the opening battle with the crash ending...other than that...I'll stick with my fave of all time Empire Strikes Back!

Peace and may the force be with you.

astrofan428
This isnt the review thread.

Ewoksaredumb
Oops..........but thanks for pointing out my shortcomings Astro.

DeVi| D0do
It would have been better if it was just implied she'd lost the will to live... it is a bad line.

The "Nooo!" should have been more of an "Arrgh".

astrofan428
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
The "Nooo!" should have been more of an "Arrgh".

Oooh, I like that. Just angry scream would have been perfect.

Smodden
To hear him say "Where is Padme?"

was at first a little much for me...messed

But I genuinely felt his pain when he cried out, come on guys, he's lost everything, and now he's this deformed creature forever bound in the shrouds of his own darkness...He's torn to pieces, figuratively, AND literally. ANd now he's lost the person he did all this for...

ubidoobascooby
Originally posted by Ewoksaredumb

Anyway back to the issue at hand. I agree with most of the posts here. There was way too much lightsaber action which took away the "awe" factor when they were limited in the other installments.
Usually at the end.
Bad things about ROTS...
1. I think the mitichlorian theory and the possibility that Anakin is possibly Palp's son is just plain ubsurd. The prophecy was untrue.
2.The Qui-Gon factor was completely unexplained. No voice over. 3.Grevious hacking like a sickened person but yet strong enough to fight. The window blast scene in the Grevious chamber when Gen. Grev escapes ( no one dies or gets sucked out).
4. The wookies werent in it enough.
5. Not enough time to get really attached to anyone character it moved at an incredibly fast pace.
6. Darth Vader is in the movie on the gurney in full amor and cape?...please. And don't get me started on the "lost the will to live line" and The "Noooooooo" line.

But after all this bitching I thought the worst scene out of all the scenes and should have been cut, was that awful scene of Anakin slaying children. (Twice) ...Bad just purely a bad scene.

omg... OK!

1. Anikan does fullfill the profecy in ROTJ. The profecy is true according to creator George Lucas. Your wrong.
2. Qui-gon could communicate through the force, he was the first to learn. He can't appear in spirit however. You don't get that?
3. No one dies or gets sucked out because there's 2 people in the room, Anikan and Obi, they hang on to a control panel, the emergency systems kick in.
4. what do you want, revenge of the wookies? Maby we should shape the movie round you eh? It's not about the wookies, if you look at it in the film critique sense, they were just a plot device to get yoda on his own.
5. There were 3 movies to get attached to em. If you hadn't done it by now... well... what can I say.
6. Believe it or not, people can die from emotional strain, weird but true. So in a sci-fi film, I guess it's believable that the emotional strain plus getting force choked and 'forcing' out 2 twins is enough to make you heel over.

The "noooooo" line, look people... who are we to say it's not what vader, or a turning anikan would do... I guess we know better than the creator of vader eh. IT'S THE WAY IT'S MEANT TO BE!?!?!! I don't think it's meant to be, 'cool', and I don't think at the time, he'd care how he'd say it. aaargh being better than no? You lose everyone you loved and see if you don't scream noooo like a little sissy. JEJ would of been told to do it the same way as Haydens voice over.

I agree, it had it's bad parts. I guess I just really enjoyed it cos I went in knowing there'd be screw ups, and that Lucas would stuff it up, then I came out pleasently suprised!

Just_Joe
The nooooo is fine by me.

Dunno about you guys, but I got chills down my spine when the Vader mask went on and he breathed through it for the first time.

Smodden
Originally posted by Ewoksaredumb

Bad things about ROTS...
It just adds a little bit of mystery to an otherwise known-story. Nothing wrong with shaking things up a bit.

His breathing was difficult, but many of his other funtions worked just fine...like his twirling lightsabersdroolio and Grevious got sucked out...the jedi's just held on...I think that they're kindof strong so...uh..yeah

I agree, but they shined every second they were onscreen though.

HELLO! We've been attached to Anakin for 6 movies now...that's a lot of time, his story is tragic, and you know his fate, and you also see the good in him at the begining...which makes it that much more emotional and sad to see him decend into 'hell'. You can see the way these characters related to each other in such a close way, to see them ripped apart was like seeing your best friend in pain and suffering...

You have a problem with life-support suits, and articles of clothing that portray power?
Padme just saw the man she loved, try to kill her. -After he promised that everything would be fine, and he would love her in a little house by the lake on Naboo...raising two little babies, and teaching them to wrestle cows, and showing them how to use the force to pick up rocks, and bringing home fancy dresses for her so she can look prety when they go out to see space bubble shows at corusant...*uh, yeah* well anyway...

*throws in two cents*

TX!
i personally think the no was correct also and i had no complains about the movie it was awesome!

tlbauerle
The NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO was terrible. Perfect opportunity for JEJ to come from the gut with that deep, kick ass voice. Instead it was real...whimpy...and the edit was terrible and quick.

Lazerlike42
The no is weak because Vader is NOT the hardened villian he is in the OT. At this point, he's just a weak, scared teenager who's in too deep and doesn't know what to do about it. He's hurt, scared and confused, not hardened and evil.

tlbauerle
SORRY....

The no is weak because it is poor delivery and a weakly directed scene. I don't see how that can be rationalized.

Darth Plagueis
Originally posted by tlbauerle
SORRY....

The no is weak because it is poor delivery and a weakly directed scene. I don't see how that can be rationalized. While I agree, I believe I would be hard pressed to yell in a manly fashion after amputations, being burnt alive awaking encased in plastic and being told my wife AND child were dead.

astrofan428
Yeah it isnt a straight up nothing but rage scream, it is a sad broken hate filled scream.

Darth Plagueis
"I'm supposed to look evil and I can't even fracking walk straight.....life sucks!!!"

astrofan428
The guy went from the cover of GQ to a walking Burger King ad, he was heart broken.

Lazerlike42
I think it's good for one important reason. The concept of Star Wars was always that of the old serials, like Buck Rogers. The OT had a certain aspect of that in it. The PT is very shiny and polished and modern. I didn't realize this until a few hours ago but think about it...

One of the biggest problems with the PT is that the atmosphere and the overall style is so modern compared to the OT so it seems out of place. Starting with the Frankensteiny, "Nooo!" scene, everything seems to go back into a more old-fashioned style. ESPECIALLY with that scene. I think it makes a GREAT transition because of this, and I think that's the point.

tlbauerle
Originally posted by astrofan428
Yeah it isnt a straight up nothing but rage scream, it is a sad broken hate filled scream.

I dunno...all the force crushing things was pretty rage-like.

astrofan428
True, but he is still broken as hell.

It was like after the tusken slaughter, he was definatly enraged but also hurting and full of guilt.

Lazerlike42
People can be distraught with sadness but take it out physically in a violent way without the violence being precipitated by anger... I've done it before.

ShadowKing
evil face You're stuck in the same suit for the next twenty-eight years!

sad NOOOOoooooooo!

SithKiller
I havent read thru this post to see if someone said same but this is my thought on this....not bad for Vaders first mechanical voice and movement...bout what i expected....cmon what would you do if you were in Annies postion...you wouldnt be half as graceful in movement or thought(voice)...I would have busted the cuffs and fell on my face...lol!!!

Lord S
What's stupid about people's whining and nitpicking is that they fail to see and understand the context of what is being presented in this particular scene.

Vader here is not the same Vader as presented in the OT...to say 'oh I lost all respect for Vader' etc, all while forgetting that he'd just been used like a tool, abused, and been through physical and emotional armageddon, is simply pathetic.

bilb
Originally posted by Lazerlike42

One of the biggest problems with the PT is that the atmosphere and the overall style is so modern compared to the OT so it seems out of place. Starting with the Frankensteiny, "Nooo!" scene, everything seems to go back into a more old-fashioned style. ESPECIALLY with that scene. I think it makes a GREAT transition because of this, and I think that's the point.

Excellent observation!

Sparks
Originally posted by Darth_Vader05
People this is when Darth Vader is still human he isnt fully evil until A New Hope come on people.

Actually I think it was at that very moment that Anakin truley becomes Darth Vader, fully accepting his fate. Padme was his last link to the name "Anakin" because that is who he was with her. Notice that when she called him by his name, after Sidious had renamed him, he never corrected her by saying somthing like "That name no longer has any meaning for me".

astrofan428
Originally posted by Sparks
Actually I think it was at that very moment that Anakin truley becomes Darth Vader, fully accepting his fate. Padme was his last link to the name "Anakin" because that is who he was with her. Notice that when she called him by his name, after Sidious had renamed him, he never corrected her by saying somthing to like "That name no longer has any meaning for me".

True, even when fighting Obi-Wan he responds to Anakin.

TheFilmProphet
I didn't have any problem with the line, it also seemed like an ironic reference to the Empire Strikes Back.

tlbauerle
Problem with the line...no

Delivery...yes.

DaveTheHutt
The scene wasn't great, but it wasn't appalling either. I agree that what should have been such an iconic moment was fluffed, but it doesn't ruin the film. In the context of the story it makes sense - Anakin has lost the one thing he sacrificed everything else to save, his true love.

And can I just say: I love those literary geniuses who slag Lucas for his writing, but then suggest their own alternatives such as 'Why!?!' or 'Aaaaargh!!!!'. Oh yeah - they'd be *much* better choices!

Hutt out

BackFire
It was cheesy, no doubt, but that can be said for much of the dialogue in this movie. it served its purpose, the last bit of emotion we see out of Anakin/vadar untill ROTJ

eleveninches

That was so badly done.
Yup. Bad acting.

adele2k5
ewoks are dumb you dont sound like a true starwars fan, first of all the profecy is true but was misread if you read the book it will tell you all the informatio you need to know,first of all the procery was meant for anakin to bring balance to the force he did they by going to the dark side because he wanted to save the love of his life and it was his love of his son that turned him back to anakin and he defended palp. In the book it states that the jedi order did not change with the times and kept with the strict old times and this was why the jedi fell. The new jedi order was to start with anakins children luke and leia.

adele2k5
destroyed not defend*

DartDingaling
i think it would have been better if he smashed something with his fists. we already seen his strength while pulling himself free from the iron bands....if he smashed something in a violent animal rage it would certainly give more reason as to why he became so damn evil in the original trilogies.

also, when palpatine was encouraging anakin to kill dooku thus betraying his then apprentice, why for the love of god didn't dooku grass in palpatine by telling anakin "he's the dark lord of the sith by the way". i thought all sith were supposed to be treacherous

PVS

That was so badly done.

i totally feel ya there. absolutely.
it was such a cliche scene, like the person kneeling over a dead child,
raising his hand and looking up at the sky and screaming "WHYYYYY!!!!!!!" which also reminded me of 'half-baked' with the cop and the dead horse.

just a bad bad bad bad finish to an otherwise awesome scene... and thats why it stings the most.

it just left a very sour taste..........god it was corny.

queeq
True SW then. wink

Ushgarak
Absolutely- I mean, what is this? SW does cliche shock horror? The whole thing is cliche! Revel in it.

PVS
i understand that SW can be hokey, but that just crossed the line well into corny as shit. its like, GL was making that scene last and said "aaahhh f*** it, just say "NOOOOO!!!!!" and record and print, im done with this shit", and walked out the door.

Ushgarak
No, frankly, strikes me as spot on Star Wars stuff.

queeq
It's not my favourite scen but it doesn't bother me one bit too be honest. Unlike the "because of me love for you" line.. I mean THAT is crossing the line. Fortunately ROTS has plenty to make up for the shitty details.

Lazerlike42
Originally posted by PVS
i totally feel ya there. absolutely.
it was such a cliche scene, like the person kneeling over a dead child,
raising his hand and looking up at the sky and screaming "WHYYYYY!!!!!!!" which also reminded me of 'half-baked' with the cop and the dead horse.

just a bad bad bad bad finish to an otherwise awesome scene... and thats why it stings the most.

it just left a very sour taste..........god it was corny.

I respond to this and every similar statement with my previous post:

I think it's good for one important reason. The concept of Star Wars was always that of the old serials, like Buck Rogers. The OT had a certain aspect of that in it. The PT is very shiny and polished and modern. I didn't realize this until a few hours ago but think about it...

PVS
all i know is that there was more hokeyness in that film than you can fit in the grand canyon, as well as every other SW film. but when it come to the climax of the film, its supposed to hit home.

"NOOOOOOO" is a SW tradition, and should be done right. think of ewan's "NOOOOO" in tpm....was that corny? luke in anh when ben is 'killed'. those were some spledid 'NOOOOO's. this one....they werent even trying erm

PVS
Originally posted by Lazerlike42
I respond to this and every similar statement with my previous post:

i understand what you are saying. the script HAD to read "NOOOOO".
it HAD to have emotion. but that scene (audio) just struck me as a "screw it...first take gets it...im going home" scene

Ushgarak
As queeq says, it really wasn't problematic enough to bother me any.

Way more bothered by, for example, shoe-horning Qui-Gon in like that with no decent explanation.

Lazerlike42
Qui-gon should have been in but I am led to believe it was contractual.

Also, the no came across exactly as intended. As you will see stated in a number of ways in the preceding posts in this thread, the no is NOT that of the hardened, hateful angry Vader we know from the OT, but rather a teenage kid who has got himself in over his head and doesn't know what to do, and who has just been through emotional and physical trauma that very, very few that have ever lived could compare with. It's a "nooo" of weakness, pain, fear, and above all defeat, not anger.

He was probably overcome with emotion, choked up and could barely make any sound at all. Defeat is the key.... the "nooo" is Anakin Skywalker's last words before Vader consumes him. The "nooo" is one of defeat and surrender.

It is not a "let's take the first cut," but rather exactly what was planned by someone taking into account the proper context and perspective of the scene.

Alatopel
My opinion is that the scene could have been changed around a bit. First of all, when Palps picks up Crispy Jedi, he could have asked about Padme then. When Palps tells him she's dead, he causes an avalanche or something like that. Palps and the Clones grab him and run away. Then, when Vader awakens, he's the cold evil we expect him to be, not the "Where's Padme" Franken-Vader that he was.

maifoshis
i cant beleive what i am hearing GL is a genius and he did it perfectly. if you saw it at a digital cinema you would have felt every tremble of the noooo scene when the force was flowing through him causing an earthquake. as laserlike said he turned to the dark side out of weakness. his only goal was to save his wife and kids. he was being a good father hence Vader.

Batman316
Worse scene in the movie..... should have, could have been so much more..... I agree a primevil(sp) scream would have been much more vaderish and heart wrentching. Instead I just sat there, staring at the baddest man in the universe and thought....

what a pussy

sneeky_ninja
when that sceen happened me and my 4 other friend that went too see it started cracking up. when the end credits started it was dead silent in the theater and i just screamed NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! and i sound almost exactly like James earl jones and everyone in the theater started busting out laughing.

sith_darth_jay
lol

I didn't quite like this scene, thought it was gonna be better
I kinda got the impression that it was Homer Simpson screaming NOOOOOOOOO!!

queeq
Oustanding! laughing out loud

mrywin

That was so badly done.

I agree.
It was funny in a ridiculous way and yet made everyone go "WTH"

PVS
Originally posted by Ushgarak
As queeq says, it really wasn't problematic enough to bother me any.

Way more bothered by, for example, shoe-horning Qui-Gon in like that with no decent explanation.

oh, it didnt ruin the film for me at all. i just wish that part was done better.

and yes, quigon's deletion was so very sad. wtf was GL thinking? he KNEW we all were dying to see it, and cut it. what a dicky thing to do

queeq
The scene as written in the script is pretty lame, I didn't have to see that. But I would have liked a decent explanation about the disappearing thing. Now one has to sit in the desert for 20 years to learn it. PLUS how is it that Anakin can suddenly do the reappearing thing all of a sudden. Who taught him?

No on those counts, GL really screwed up.

tlbauerle
Also ILM f-ed up the shot when they replaced Vader's arms. When he "busts out" the movement and blending into the live action sucks. His arms pull up and then jerk forward like he pulled them down from were they were by his head. Plus...in the wide shot after he stumbles out...you can see where his arms were clamped up high...bad job ILM...bad job.

I agree with the change but ffs do it right.

Ladyluck
haha that part was so funny! my friend and i laughed about that so much...he seemed so out of character when he did that

bILLYgOAT
Originally posted by Ben-Kenobi
I dont care about that scene it made vader seem like a freaking pansey, I swear after that scene i barely have any respect for Darth Vader

VADER is a pansy?

Whisper
They should just have replaced the "Noooooooooooooooooooooo" with the Wilhelm scream. ROTS is the only Lucas effort not to have it and it would have been perfect in that scene.

K Von Doom
Vader moved like Frankenstein when he removed the shackles

tlbauerle
Originally posted by Whisper
They should just have replaced the "Noooooooooooooooooooooo" with the Wilhelm scream. ROTS is the only Lucas effort not to have it and it would have been perfect in that scene.

Hey chief...the Wilhelm was in the opening space battle. One of the clone troopers cried out on a capital ship when it got hit...

big grin

ragesRemorse
doesnt vadars mask muffle and manipulate anakins real voce? so maybe it goes in sounding like a lion, but comes out sounding like bad writing.

mtryder
Originally posted by Darth_Vader05

He was evil enough to kill younglings. I agree that that part was just off. One of my least favorite scenes of the movie.

Reborn Again
I didn't see anything wrong with it. You're being too critical.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Reborn Again
I didn't see anything wrong with it. You're being too critical. yes yes

ApolloX
Originally posted by Reborn Again
I didn't see anything wrong with it. You're being too critical.
i agree.

jtigan
Was I the only person who flashed James T. Kirk yelling "Khaaaaaaaaaan" in Star Trek 2?? smile

The move off of the table was VERY Frankenstein. All that was needed was Palatine yelling "He's alive!"

ArynCrinn
I think that james earl jones couldn't deliver a line liek that any better way. It's jsut the way he talks...
Perhaps he could have just yelled like "ARRHHHHH"?

andres31
I can't believe that post. Hours before Anakin was dying and some people want him to jump of the table and start throwing punches like Oscar the la Hoya and destroying things like he do when he was healthy. This guy is almost dead and is recovering from deadly injuries. Did you see his face when the mask go over. It has blood. This guy was almost dead. And the most important thing is Star Wars is the baby of George Lucas. Everyone criticise, but nobody has created a movie. Criticize is simple. Create something is difficult. I believe that the scene was good because it shows the pain and the inability that Vader has at that moment to be physically powerful.

Batman316
just the way Nooooo sounded was the cheesiest of all things cheese. A scream would have been a LOT better

DeVi| D0do
I agree.

As a reviewer said... it sounded like the Simpsons joke version.

Red Superfly
I would have prefferred a silent whimper, or groan.

As someone suggested, he breaks out, but instead of standing up he falls to his knees, feeling his new face in his new hands, and lets out a painful moan, nothing more, to signify that he knows "it's all gone".

But a part of me likes how it is. He doesn't fall to his knees, but almost stumbles, and yes, his cry is very B-Movie, but this is a series that is inspired by Flash Gordon, and it's always been like this.

Still, would have prefferred an "aaaaaaaaargh!"

b-dan
ya he sounded like me in the morning and did james real jones do his voice when he was in the sute or was that hayden with hhis voice made to sound like it

lincoln86323
does anyone have an audio clip or something?

lau_timmy
If he just cried AAAAAAA or UHHHH in pain it would of made more sense
but NOOOOOOOOOOOO is too cheesy. That ruined the whole drama and almost like a joke.

DeVi| D0do
I agree, it should have been an "Aaarrgh!"

go here: http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f38/t342941.html

g0h4n
I think we should arrange a petition.
That Vader won't scream "NOOO!!" on the DVD... I agree that it would make the movie better smile

ayjay
i agree...da No0o!! was corny.....and ARRRRGHH!!!!! wolod have been alot better

kanis
alien I agree the vader NOOOO was horrible the scene would have been much better if he had just crushed everything and then took the emperor's head off. But then again it wasn't really vader it seemed to be more anakin than vader.

HAROLD
I thought it was necessary.

Red Superfly
I would have prefferred if he was deadly silent.

Woulda been cool if he just ruined the room, and you heard his breathing get faster and faster, and he said absolutely nothing, just slumped on his knees as his his breathing got slower and slower.

Oh well, I didn't mind.

adele2k5
it wasnt anakins voice remember it was james earls voice thats why it sounded so different, he was needed because it should his turmoil other the lost of his wife/ child as you couldnt see his facial expression but it was shown in his body language. He was still anakin when he asked about her and it was then that made him bitter.

Red Superfly
Isn't that pretty obvious?

ickeris2003
at first it did bother me but when i saw it for the 2nd time it did make sense because its still anakin and hes not fully evil yet.

KharmaDog
Another example of some atrocious writing. People in the theatre actually laughed at that line.

dwizard
It would have been better for him to be silent and choke everyone around him as his breathing increased to show his anger! That is in line more with who he was.

It was not characteristic of him to scream NOOOOOO......

I agree that scene was cheep and cheesy...

theGTR
yeah i knooo. it was predictable. too cheesy

revolution_man
that was my favorite scene in the movie...i mean the music was awesome and though i guess they could have had him just get really pissed off and start destroying the room, "noooo" worked just fine for me....

acedanger
Originally posted by: adele2k5
it wasnt anakins voice remember it was james earls voice thats why it sounded so different, he was needed because it should his turmoil other the lost of his wife/ child as you couldnt see his facial expression but it was shown in his body language. He was still anakin when he asked about her and it was then that made him bitter.

I agree 100% adele2k5

Stunrun
Originally posted by lau_timmy
but NOOOOOOOOOOOO is too cheesy. That ruined the whole drama and almost like a joke.

I loved itcool im still too caught up in the movie to criticize it

acedanger
Just because Anakin puts the Darth Vader Armour on doesn't mean that he's Darth Vader the real Vader that we know and love comes much later. So the scene where he screams NOOOOOOOOO... is Anakin, not Vader... even though technically during that scene he had been given that sith name of Vader it's really not Vader just the begininng of Vader!

The Biker Scout
awful lineeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I prefer...You promised me she would live...Unlimited Power!

queeq
It's not great but it didn't bother me.

((The_Anomaly))
theyshould re-record it to sound better for the DVD release....

SithSpy
i like that idea biker scout, youd think that would cross his mind

JKozzy
Originally posted by ickeris2003
at first it did bother me but when i saw it for the 2nd time it did make sense because its still anakin and hes not fully evil yet. Exactly. It's basically 'Hayden Anakin' under there, 20 years later in Ep IV, I'm sure he's hardened up quite a bit.

DeVi| D0do
But could you really even pictire Hayden saying 'No' like that?

I still say it should have been an 'Aaaarrrgh!' with Vader destroying the room with his rage.

JKozzy
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
But could you really even pictire Hayden saying 'No' like that? Actually, yeah erm

lau_timmy
It was awful and people laughed in the cinema.

Remember when Empire Strikes Back was re released in theatres in the late 90s? Lucas added a scream to luke falling into the abyss after hs confrontation with his Father. He took that scream back out again for the DVD I notice. I'm hoping he does a similar "repair" or edit on that "Noooooo..." scene for when it comes out on DVD.

HateWork
well the NOOOOO parody has now hit song format (read: edited existing song)

http://unitedstatesofno.ytmnd.com/

DeVi| D0do
http://darthno.ytmnd.com/

Stunrun
Originally posted by HateWork

hilarious!
laughing out loud

but whats the big problem??erm i LOVE that line! Vader came from the 70's, so it just sounded right imoyes nothing wrong with a lil cheesecool

benskywalker88
Those sites are quality, if a little annoying after a while lmao!! I have an explanation as to why the nooooooooo was done like that. For one thing we haven't seen Vader really expressing emotion before so it seems out of place. But we must remember that although he's Vader and has turned to the darkside, his love for Padme remains because love is ultimately more powerful than the darkside e.g. Vader turns back to the lightside in ROTJ because of the love for his son. So he still loves Padme and has just found out he killed her. However he's 'more machine than man' now so the way he will express his emotion will be rather mechanical and that's why the nooooo seems wierd. At first it seemed cheesy which it is but then I watched it again and realised it's necessary to show that he is mostly machine. Steven Hawking for example has to use an electronic voicebox to speak and his words don't sound that emotional obviously because they're created by a machine. It doesn't mean he isn't feeling the emotion inside. The same goes for Vader, he feels this sadness inside after finding out his wife is dead but the only way he can express it is in a mechanical fashion (hence the noooooo) which is so tragic as he is trapped in this black prison for the rest of his life (well until ROTJ). So I think the nooooooooooo is fine as it portrays the mixture of human emotion in a mechanical way. The movement here as well also is very mechanical as he's obviously not going to cover his face as he has a helmet on, he can't fall to his knees as he's just adapting to these robotic legs so the only way he can express himself is with his arms to side of him and his head slightly tilted up almost like he's asking the force why have you let this happen to me?! So yeh anyone who doesn't like the nooooooo only doesn't like it because they don't understand it but I think it makes perfect sense and truly shows how Anakin/Vader is 'more machine than man now'!

cal31
Originally posted by benskywalker88
Those sites are quality, if a little annoying after a while lmao!! I have an explanation as to why the nooooooooo was done like that. For one thing we haven't seen Vader really expressing emotion before so it seems out of place. But we must remember that although he's Vader and has turned to the darkside, his love for Padme remains because love is ultimately more powerful than the darkside e.g. Vader turns back to the lightside in ROTJ because of the love for his son. So he still loves Padme and has just found out he killed her. However he's 'more machine than man' now so the way he will express his emotion will be rather mechanical and that's why the nooooo seems wierd. At first it seemed cheesy which it is but then I watched it again and realised it's necessary to show that he is mostly machine. Steven Hawking for example has to use an electronic voicebox to speak and his words don't sound that emotional obviously because they're created by a machine. It doesn't mean he isn't feeling the emotion inside. The same goes for Vader, he feels this sadness inside after finding out his wife is dead but the only way he can express it is in a mechanical fashion (hence the noooooo) which is so tragic as he is trapped in this black prison for the rest of his life (well until ROTJ). So I think the nooooooooooo is fine as it portrays the mixture of human emotion in a mechanical way. The movement here as well also is very mechanical as he's obviously not going to cover his face as he has a helmet on, he can't fall to his knees as he's just adapting to these robotic legs so the only way he can express himself is with his arms to side of him and his head slightly tilted up almost like he's asking the force why have you let this happen to me?! So yeh anyone who doesn't like the nooooooo only doesn't like it because they don't understand it but I think it makes perfect sense and truly shows how Anakin/Vader is 'more machine than man now'! Well, said, never really thought of it that way.

rubber dickie
it was ok for me. though the silent drop-to-your-knees act would've done as good. a chance to see a vulnerable darth vader is a rare occurence.

LousyBoy
People do stupid things in real life you dont understand, and they do it in the movies. Your not gonna like everything... not even in a movie.

Ben Skywalker is right. The key word is understanding. People just dont do that nowadays. Always critisizing before speaking.

RC70
You also have to remember that this all happened a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

I've seen it the once, and would have to see it again. But the first viewing reminded me of the Simpsons, because they done that several times in a humours fashion. So the first viewing it seemed a little off, but seeing it again it may look different.

!!OWNED!!
I thought it was hilarious when Vader busted out that "NOOOOOOOOOO" scene truly a classic laughing

benskywalker88
Hey every1, here's a little song I remixed using Vader's nooooooooooo!!! DJ Vader strikes back :P!!

h**p://w**.putfile.com/media.php?n=nooooo_0002

kanis
alien Did anyone see George lucas and his daughter in episode three

ccoo
Most of my friends did not like Vader yelling NOOOO! I actually didn't have a problem with it. I don't love the scene, but if you were burned all over your body, stuck in a black suit for the rest of your life, and found out the love of your life you just choked to death, what are you gonna start breakdancing? Of course you're gonna yell NOOOO, that was like the final piece of anything that could be happy in his life.

I think people don't like the scene because Suited Vader is such a bad ass in the originals, and this is the first time you're hearing emotion from him with the mask on. The only time before that, he had his mask off talking to Luke at the end of ROTJ.

Mist
Originally posted by HateWork

laughinglaughinglaughinglaughing

F*CK!!!!! I AM CRAPPING MY PANTS HERE!

laughing

Geoff_Death
I think if people are laughing at it, then maybe it deserves an edit. Personally I was still to wrapped up in the final fight scene and Anakins demise to really care about what he screamed, but if its going to take something away from the emotion thats being portrayed, GL as a film maker should realise it needs to be changed.

theflyxx
Nobody laughed during the 2 times I sawe ROTS.

The "NOOooo!!!" didn't really bother me at all. It seemed pretty appropriate.

It's just like somebody said in an earlier post. Honestly, what would you say if you were in Anakin's position and were just told that the most important thing in your life is gone? "Aaarrggghh!!" or "NOOOO!!" ?

I really don't see what the big deal is or why people have such a problem with it. To some people it might be odd because its the first time that we've seen Darth Vader express emotion. Most of the time he's cold and emotionless.....like a machine!

BTW, that "NOOOO!!" parody site is hilarious!

Darth Bong
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
(In James Earl Jones' voice.) smokin'

LandoSpeeder2
I think he should have just dropped to his knees and said nothing

DeVi| D0do
And he shoulda been throwing things around the room. And screaming "AAARRGGHH!". Not "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!".

orkaz
dont think james earle jonmes suites the "nooo" to be honest, arggghhhh or just shoutin you lie and then choking palpatine would of been so much better!!!!!!!:P

Morning_Glory
Originally posted by lau_timmy

same as when Luke yelled "Nooooo" when Darth Vader told him he was his father.. that was cheesy

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>