Luke and Leia

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Trinew
When and how did Vader find out Luke and Leia's names? He wasnt there when Padme gave childbirth. How did he know his children's name?

DarkYoda
He never learns Leia's name.

Only at the end does he realize Luke even had a sister. I'm not sure if he realizes it was the same person he tortured in Episodes IV and V.

He learns of the rebel who destroyed the Death Star being named Luke Skywalker and realizes it is his son. He denies it later when the Emperor confronts him with this, but only because he wanted to use Luke to overthrow the Emperor.

Red Superfly
You'd think Luke would have had his name changed to Lars, you know, seeing as the idea was to protect him and all.

Somehow I fail to see how keeping his name as Skywalker would benefit his protection and anonymity.

Or did Obi-Wan and Yoda intentionally conspire to have Luke become famous, and have Vader seek him out? Bah, conspiracy theories are no good when its pretty damn obvious it is yet another plot hole. Doh!

yerssot
that's cause if there is ONE planet Vader wouldn't go to, it would be Tatooine considering his mother died there

and to keep him named Skywalker was probably to get Vaders attention so they try and turn him back to the light side or something

smoker4
It always made me wonder why none of the older rebels, Dodonna etc never clicked about his surname, or maybe its the galactic version of smith or something

yerssot
Antilles is already that, so why not huh? smile

perhaps the identity is a secret? eventhough he's big in the wars, perhaps they just keep refering to the Jedi rather than always "big superhero Anakin Skywalker"

Lazerlike42
I think this is the one time when I'll actually just say the reason is that it's only a movie and it's a plot device

smoker4
You may have to say it again at some point, dont promise anything laughing out loud

Lazerlike42
I think Star Wars is generally good at having in-universe explanations which is why I say that, well, part of why anyways lol

Smodden
Originally posted by yerssot
that's cause if there is ONE planet Vader wouldn't go to, it would be Tatooine considering his mother died there

and to keep him named Skywalker was probably to get Vaders attention so they try and turn him back to the light side or something

And don't forget he's going to live with other skywalkers...so his name would naturally be skywalker...

yerssot
errr... no blink

Owen is called Lars and Beru after marrying takes his name (and before it's Whitesun)
Owen is the son of Cliegg Lars, he has a different mother, not Shmi messed

Smodden
doh

astrofan428
Did anyone notice how in the ESB dvd, that early in the film he mentions that Skywalker is on Hoth, yet when Palpatine informs Vader about him being his son he doesnt seem to know?

yerssot
he's trying to hide it so that he can later get to Luke to convince him to rule the galaxy

Red Superfly
Oh dear, score another plot hole right there.

Vader's new line is "How is that possible?" when Palpatine reveals that the boy is likely to be the son of Anakin.

And yet Vader has been desperate to find young Skywalker for some time before the movie even begins, according to the opening scrawl.

The new edit is completely out of synch with the plot. Oh dear.

yerssot
trying to hide it, since palpatine doesn't know he has a son

Red Superfly
Hrm, could look at it like that.

In fact, my bias wants me to believe it. So I will.

SithNinja
You have to remember that given Palpatine's overconfidence in seeing how things will turn out and that he has Vader under his complete control, he isn't going to be concerned with what Vader is doing behind his back.

Vader being a Sith, he has from the moment of his turn been scheming to be the Master and control the galaxy. The line "the force is strong with this one" and then finding out he is a Skywalker, he knew he had found his son and apprentice in which to help overthrow the Emperor. He proves this on Bespin.

Now, here is where it gets tricky. Vader says if he could be turned he would be a powerful asset or something like that.....RED FLAG HERE...since there can only be two, each of them would then know what to other was up to. UNLESS.....the rule of two had been abolished since there was no need to hide their numbers to get revenge on the Jedi...but why wouldn't there be more than just the two by that time. If anything, there is your plot hole, but by that time I think it became a chess match between Vader and Palpatine to see who could turn Luke to their side.

Lazerlike42
no need for Luke to have become a Sith, he could just have been a dark Jedi ally of theirs.

SithNinja
Did Vader or Palpatine sound like they wanted a dark Jedi ally.

"Come with me and we can rule the galaxy as father and son"

"Fulfill your destiny and take your father's place at my side"

Lazerlike42
Well that is correct. They say that to Luke, to one another they could be bluffing and playing the "dark Jedi" card?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.