How does R2 loose his flying ability?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Soda
In the OT u never see him fly, but in PT he flies in AOTC, I think a little in ROTS too (jumping out the ship).

astrofan428
Who said he does?

Pablo G
Yeah he hovers in ROTS, he spills oil over the droids and them turns them on fire with his turbines. Umm I don't think he required the ability to fly in the 0T or maybe it's too limited.

Texansfan05
Maybe R2 want's to hold back his abilities later in life.

Lazerlike42
I don't think there were really any situations in the OT where he would need to use this ability. Possibly to get out of the swamp on Dagobah, but then again we never actually see how he gets out, it's only loosely implied that he rolls out.

mephistodesigns
not to mention that he's serving on the Tantive 4 for the next 20 yrs. I would assume that they were removed for more useful parts he'd need now that he is back to his actual purpose of "astromech" droid and not assistant to a Jedi in a war.

Red Superfly
Lucas shoves that idea back up his ass for Episodes IV to VI.

Flying R2D2. I still can't accept such stupidity.

Ken Kenobi
It was rumoured to be that the canisters for his jet packs are no longer available by the time the OT comes around.

WindDancer
R2 D2 never lost that ability. Remenber that Senator Bail Organa orders both droids to have their memory wipe. Therefore R2 cannot use those abilities due to his wipe. Or it could be that during the memory wipe the technician removed those fighting mechanisms.

Ken Kenobi
Originally posted by WindDancer
R2 D2 never lost that ability. Remenber that Senator Bail Organa orders both droids to have their memory wipe. Therefore R2 cannot use those abilities due to his wipe. Or it could be that during the memory wipe the technician removed those fighting mechanisms.

No, only C-3PO had a memory wipe.

mephistodesigns
only c-3po received a memory wipe. He says "Wipe the protocol droid's memory". And even if R2 had, his systems would still know all of its base programing and abilities. He just wouldn't remember people or events. Its like on a computer, you can wipe all of your documents and internet history, but its still gonna know if you have a mouse/keyboard/scanner/printer attached and how to make it work.

General Kaliero
"Oh, and have the protocol droid's memory erased."

Exactly. I'm also betting that most of his parts were removed for use on the ship. He is, after all, only a droid.

mephistodesigns
uhhhh....the protocol droid is Threepio, Artoo is an astromech. And neither of them are ships, so I doubt there parts work in a ship. Do you install pistons into your computer? exactly...

bilb
It was said after AOTC that R2's jet packs only have a 20 year lifespan, so without being replaced they would have simply run out of gas by the time of the OT.. also Anakin modified R2 ALOT when he took him as his droid..

mephistodesigns
exactly, i'm sure the Tantive 4 crew would require him to be a bit more "stock" since they ONLY need him for astromech jobs...which don't require flying.

Red Superfly
Well if he didn't require flying - how could R2 run out of gas if he never uses them?

It doesn't make any sense. No amount of rationalising can justify those stupid jetboots.

mephistodesigns
run out of gas....? that's not even canon...

Lazerlike42
I'm confused as to where the run out of gas idea comes from confused

mephistodesigns
apparently some EU source so it doesn't really matter does it? certainly never read it in any of the books...

Red Superfly
I know. I wouldn't even consider those damn rocket packs canon if I hadn't seen them in the movies with my own eyes. I would have dismissed them as some stupid fanboy wet dream, but then again, Episode II was one big fanboy wet dream in general.

GCG
Originally posted by Lazerlike42
I don't think there were really any situations in the OT where he would need to use this ability. Possibly to get out of the swamp on Dagobah, but then again we never actually see how he gets out, it's only loosely implied that he rolls out.

Doesnt R2 fall off Jabba's sail barge in ROTJ ? Artoo butts the golden droid over the edge and steps off himself, tumbling toward the sand. In that case he should have or could have flown off.

mephistodesigns
Guess that means they're gone then eh?

Red Superfly
No, they hadn't burned out, at all, because he NEVER had freakin rocket boots.

Lucas simply didn't pluck that idea of his ass at that moment in time.

Simple as that.

mephistodesigns
where are you pulling this? out of YOUR ass? there is nothing anywhere about this whole "running outta gas" bs. He had them. Then had them removed when he didn't need 'em anymore. Why is this convsersation still goin' on?

GCG
Meh....the most logical reason I make is that LFL added R2 with a CGI imposition that they could not do way back then

mephistodesigns
laughing

Damn GCG, why you gotta go and be such a wet blanket? wink

Red Superfly
Originally posted by mephistodesigns
where are you pulling this? out of YOUR ass? there is nothing anywhere about this whole "running outta gas" bs. He had them. Then had them removed when he didn't need 'em anymore. Why is this convsersation still goin' on?

What? What the f**k?

I NEVER said anything about R2 running out of gas, I said the idea was stupid. Read my posts again. I find him running out of gas to be merely one of the very many explanations.

I said that R2 running out of gas is not valid, because that would mean he'd have to be flying around constantly, or use it up at least. Or he broke them, or he refuses to use em, or someone removed them. None of these theories are true either, by the way.

And I never said anything about where they went either, I was merely questioning the validity of the rationalising stuff people were coming up with.

The only explanation is that they were there, now they aren't. Simple as that. There isn't even any need to rationalise it, because the only explanation is that Lucas simply MADE IT UP in the last twenty five + years since ROTJ rolled its credits.

This is where EU takes its cue to come up with some rediculously contrived storyline as to show how R2 lost his rockets.

GCG
bleep bleep bleep mother****ing bleep ;

logic is such a killjoy isnt it ?

Well what else you want me to say ? That he can only use anti-grav boosters out of the sunlight ?

mephistodesigns
I know seriously. There's 20 years between 3 and 4, obviously someone took them out. Why do we need to debate this?

Lazerlike42
because some people will go out of their way to find something wrong with anything that is not classic, hence the disdain for Ep 1 and 2 that was exagerrated FAR beyond anything it deserved.

Red Superfly
Any explanation'll do.

I'll stick to my Obi-Wan-stole-them-in-order-to-make-a-jet-powered-shop-mobility-cart-for-his-trips-to-Walmart-while-in-hiding-on-Tatooine theory.

astrofan428
Why does he have to loose them, he could have simply not used them. Why doesnt Yoda fight in the OT? He just doesnt.

Lazerlike42
plus he's decrepid lol

astrofan428
Damnit stick out tongue

Ther is no pleasing you people.

Red Superfly
Hey! I like decripid and nutty Yoda!

tlbauerle
Peeps...

Bilb was right. The Jet Packs only had a 20 year warranty. It has nothing to do with fuel...the mechanics just didn't work anymore. The parts didn't last.

End of discussion.

Darth Jello
look at them in the OT!!! their banged up and 3PO has a silver leg!!! I'm sure that Captain Antilles didn't really do much maintanance work on them and that artoo's rockets are out of gas, the springs that allowed him to hop out of fighters in ROTS are probably shot, and that secret oil container is full of swamp water from dagobah.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.