The other major mistake/hole in ROTS

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

HOBBE5
I didn't read the ROTS book, so I don't know if it had been expanded on, but there is a major hole that I noticied when watching the film, and please correct me if I'm wrong:

Ever since Phantom, we've been trying to figure out why Qui-Gon didn't disappear when he died, like Obi in ANH, or Yoda in ROTJ.

Apparently, Lucas and McCallum said that it would be cleared up in EP3.

Well, they really didn't.

In ROTS, Yoda says to Obi that he has been communicating with Qui-gon (how in the first place) about becoming one with the force, etc, etc, (basically him doing the death/disappear act and then show up as a ghost), and having Obi do that new training while in seclusion, so he could then use it in ANH.

Well, if Yoda and Obi were the only ones who knew about this, then how did Anakin/Vader know, as he appeared at the end of ROTJ along with the Obi and Yoda.

I mean, I get the relevance of showing the return of Anakin in ROTJ, but to have the issue put out there and never really fully resolved was pretty stupid.

Lord S
Maybe Palpatine taught him.

Captain REX
It was a non-Sith thing.

I'm going with that Yoda and Obi-Wan helped him to the other side, since they had both retained their own identities.

astrofan428
Maybe it has something to do with giving yourself to the force, which would explain why QGJ cant be seen, he can only be heard(read somewhere).

Anakin does this when Luke removes his mask.

Lazerlike42
You'll find a number of theories here: http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=336210&perpage=20&pagenumber=2

Including mine:

after seeing ROTS, I believe that Sidious and Plagieus knew the secret (to imoortality) (given his conversastion in the theatre), but that only one adhearing to the light side can achieve it. In other words, Vader and Palpatine knew the secret but only Vader returns to the light side and thus is able to have immortality as it is called. I BELIEVE that this is backed up by the actual scripted (and cut unfortunately) dialogue between Yoda and Qui-gon at the end of ROTS. I think I remember the mention in this dialogue that the irony is that the Sith have spent thousands of years searching for this ability but that only by using the light side can it truly be achieved.

vader519
When Yoda and Obi-wan dissapear, they become a force ghost, one with the force. It is explained in order to become one with the force, you have to make a sacrifice, like love. Obi-wan sacrifices himself at of love to save Luke, and Yoda dies, because of old age, and he became one with the force. Qui-Gon killed, and he had not learned how to become one with the force. Watch the ROTJ dvd and listen to the commentary track, and you will find your answer. This is not a major plothole at all, and it has bee explained before.

Lazerlike42
Originally posted by vader519
When Yoda and Obi-wan dissapear, they become a force ghost, one with the force. It is explained in order to become one with the force, you have to make a sacrifice, like love. Obi-wan sacrifices himself at of love to save Luke, and Yoda dies, because of old age, and he became one with the force. Qui-Gon killed, and he had not learned how to become one with the force. Watch the ROTJ dvd and listen to the commentary track, and you will find your answer. This is not a major plothole at all, and it has bee explained before.

that's all in the dvd??

vader519
LUcas just explains how to become one with the force, and how Anakin becomes one with the force.

Jedi7115
Didn't anyone notice the planet to planet travel was like making a run to th store for a gallon of milk. Before it took time to go to a planet but when Palps senses Anakin introuble he shows up in a matter of minutes. The lava would have killed Anakin in less than a minute.

Lazerlike42
Well we don't know how close these planets are to one another, and also Anakin doesn't actually touch lava

astrofan428
Why does no one ever speak of the chance that maybe Anakin cant die until the prophecy is fulfilled?

LightSaber_Part
Originally posted by astrofan428
Why does no one ever speak of the chance that maybe Anakin cant die until the prophecy is fulfilled?

Dude that is a thread of its self!!! yes

toolguy1515
The Yoda Qui Gonn story is covered a little bit better in the book. I was actually surprised in the movie that the whole concept was glossed over as quickly as it was. It seems that that is a pretty big deal to Episodes IV - VI considering OB1 having entire conversations with Luke. It would be nice for GL to offer a director's cut or something to that effect when it is released on DVD.

There wa also a pretty minor plot flaw in the book. In the book, 3PO and R2-D2 are given to Leia as a gift from her parents. 3PO specifically mentions that he can't wait to tell Leia about her parents, and that is what prompts his memory to be erased.

drex
But in ANH 3PO says he is not sure who Leia is when he finds ben?

Another Plot Hole!

Lazerlike42
how would 3PO know? He had his memory wiped and he only ever saw her an infant anyways

jackstain
Vader kills ANH OBi, and sees him do it, so he probably went from there and figured it out some how.

The Jedi Truth
Reply To Hobbe5. Anakin was created by the force. it only makes sense that he would be the one that would return to it when he died. The others had to learn. Anakin was already a part of it.

The Biker Scout
If its only a Jedi thing than how does Vader do it in ROTJ?

Batman316
Originally posted by jackstain
Vader kills ANH OBi, and sees him do it, so he probably went from there and figured it out some how.

you think?

or does Obi WILL himself to become one with the force? I mean Obi's cloak isn't even touched by Vaders blade.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.