The Younglings Issue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Biker Scout
I thought the slayings of the younglings part could have been cut...It bothered me alot. Other missed scenes could have been used in its place. And I'm psyched about the versions of the Bikers on the speeder bikes during Order 66...That was cool.

astrofan428
I didnt like the youngling scene as is, but I posted in a couple threads what I thought should have been done to make it better.

LightSaber_Part
oh man I got goose bumps and I kind of got choked up

astrofan428
This is what I posted in the "didnt live up" thread.

The youngling scene was a real letdown and I am not sure exactly why. Maybe because the lighting was very dark and you couldnt see Anakin very well, maybe because the "stone cold look" we heard about wasnt as menacing as he can be. Or maybe because they didnt pick a cute enough kid to talk to him, maybe a little girl woul put more umph into it. I was very suprised by the lack of reaction when this scene was shown.(though my nonSW fan friend did a double take)

tlbauerle
Here is the deal. It's rough...we all know that. But I wanted it to be edgy...real edgy. What they had was fine...but what was missing was Anakin kicking some Knight and Padawan @$$ before storming into the council room.

In fact...you could have had a great scene with the Jedi telling the younglings to go hid and then watched them get trashed. THAT would have made the scene in the film more powerful.

Darth_Nefarus
I thought it was great. if he's that evil after turning to the darkside maybe a half an hour (in the star wars time) then it makes it cooler that he is Darth Vader

Darth_Nefarus
but i'm sadistic enough, i wanted to see him waste the kids

queeq
Me too!

Darth_Nefarus
thank you!
it would have rocked to see him crushing children with eyes glowing orange, and then some jedi trying to save the kids, but he just punks them with the force choke of justice

queeq
Yup, we needed to see some evil in action. GL already deprived us from the Tusken slaughter. I thik we deserve to see why Vader is such a bad a$$

Darth_Nefarus
yeah, like seriously, did Anakin really need the clones? no, they should have patroled the outside while anakin singlehandedly beat everyones' ass

queeq
That'd been nice.

Darth_Nefarus
and it would show everyone why he is Vader, I mean, he's no chump

but in all reality i think he should have turned to the darkside early in the movie, had the duel with kenobi, then as robo vader go after everyone

queeq
I agree. Part of the persuasion should have taken place in EPII and Anakin should have been more the hero we cheer for in AOTC.

BackFire
It was a quick and effective way to show him totally crossing over to the Dark side.

queeq
Effective yes, but credible... nah.

BackFire
Yeah, at this point lucas probably realized he needed to get shit moving, big time, and get Anakin over as evil, and what's more evil then killing children?

queeq
Indeed.

Ken Kenobi
I wanted to see them show at least a shot where his lightsaber is about to make contact with the Padawan.

BackFire
lol, that woulda been pretty sweet.

I actually have to give lucas credit, this is probably the most sinister thing he's ever done in a SW film, didn't know he had it in him to even imply children were getting murdered.

darkandroid
i think Lucus did it so we can see how evil vader/anakin has become

koolruningz
They could have left the scene a bit longer, maybe with the kids backing away terrified and Vader taking a couple of meaningful steps toward them with his saber raised. I would have liked to see Vader take a few Jedi out just to show what Obi Wan was going up against, i mean how hard was it for him to waste the Separatists?

queeq
Originally posted by darkandroid
i think Lucus did it so we can see how evil vader/anakin has become

Nooo... really? Ya think?

jackstain
i wanted to see those little f*ckers die hard!

henniestevens
Im not sure, but when Obi looks at the security camera doesnt it show Vader slaughtering the younglings??

maifoshis
this is why i think the film was so great. we allhad our own ideas as to what was gonna happen in ROTS but it completely surprised everyone by being different but the best way it could have been.

bilb
Well I dunno that I actually wanted to see 5 year olds getting chopped down.. but more fighting with some of the other Jedi in the Temple would have been nice ( ok the OPPOSITTE of nice but you know what I mean stick out tongue)

umraan
i would like it if they showed him like slice a youngling just like the tusken slaughtering.

Batman316
*flips his finger to the clown who was yelling till he was blue in the face that the scene WOULD show Anakin mercilessly butchering children. (in a thread from about a month ago)

But yes we should have seen a bit more action at the Temple before Anakin enters the room with the children in it. I have no desire to see him dicing and slicing children, but adults are fair game

starkilla
I reckon that there should have been a scene with a mean (but dumb) mutha of a little jedi who pulls his sabre out on vader.

then get annihalated.

badly.

jimmy986
i really liked the scene. i thought it was better that we didnt see it b/c it just showed what a badass he was and let our imaginations take control

moviejunkie23
it was SUPPOSED to be disturbing
you have to make it feel like anikin is now truly darth vader, even to the point of killing kids
darth vader is not supposed to be likeable

yerssot
perhaps they'll include a scene in the dvd

queeq
Originally posted by henniestevens
Im not sure, but when Obi looks at the security camera doesnt it show Vader slaughtering the younglings??

No, they were padawans but not the younglings.

yerssot
they were the kids Yoda and OB1 were talking about during "who could have done this?"

queeq
Yup.

gl2gz
anyone bitching about the slaying of the younglings needs to remember....Darth Vader is probably the biggest symbol in the history of popular culture for "Evil," and true evil that spawns legends & forms generations of stories based on the mythical proportions that "Darth Vader" has become, needs some explicit display of un-sympathetic Evil....i don't wanna hear that 'well the emperor is truly the evil one,' when casual fans think of star wars, or say the name Darth Vader in another context, it is simply to say "evil incarnate."

i.e. someone could say "he went completely darth vader on his ass, and kicked the hell out of him." and we get that....we know that he represents evil incarnate, and this scene was absolutely needed to give credence to that reputation, so he's not just truly palpy's bittch.

this was crucial, imho.

PadmeAmidala15
That part was sooooooooo upsetting im glad it didn't show him actually KILL the kids that wouldve made me cry harder (which is hard to believe). Sure it would've been cool if it switched scenes when he was about to strike the boy but i still got chills with the way it was done and I thought it was fine. Incredibly sad, but fine. sick

yerssot
I think it would be looking LESS powerful if they showed him killing the kids

ragesRemorse
This was actually what made the movie. Aside from the terrible writing, the characters were interesting. Having anakin kill little kids was a perfect segway on his journey to the darkside. Yeah, he killed mace, but that was a bit implsive. They could have shown him just merely slaughtering old jedi's but it wouldnt have been as ruthless. Hey, that young jedi kid who got killed, isnt he the kid who played anakin in episode1? I know he was in episode 2, i tried to keep my eye out for him.

neo313
Originally posted by Batman316
*flips his finger to the clown who was yelling till he was blue in the face that the scene WOULD show Anakin mercilessly butchering children. (in a thread from about a month ago)

But yes we should have seen a bit more action at the Temple before Anakin enters the room with the children in it. I have no desire to see him dicing and slicing children, but adults are fair game

I agree, they should have shown Anakin killing adult Jedi- the younglings thing was powerful and disturbing enough as it was, imo.

did anyone else think it was sad when the clones turned on the jedi? especially ki-adi...

Ladyluck
that part was really sad...and disturbing...

morgan01
the best part of this scene is the fact we see the conflict and pain in anikan, he is crying right before he takes out the younglings one long tear rolls down his face... i think it was just the way the scene should have been done

Ladyluck
Originally posted by morgan01
the best part of this scene is the fact we see the conflict and pain in anikan, he is crying right before he takes out the younglings one long tear rolls down his face... i think it was just the way the scene should have been done

very true...i agree...it was still sad though...but i guess it's showing how evil he is and that the dark side can comsume you and turn you into someone you're not...people who are evil tend to show no mercy and just kill everyone so him killing the younglings was the ultimate proof i suppose, to show that he had turned to the dark side...(even though we all knew it was going to happen)...know what i mean?

tlbauerle
Gee...I don't remember tears before kicking kid ass...I'll say there were no tears...after four times....yeah...no tears at that point in the film.

You are thinking of the close up on Mustafar. Sorry.

Elessea
Yeah...I think that the part with the youngliings was necessarily dark, but good nonetheless...It made me cry...but It was still creepy and dark and wonderous eek!

Delta 62
Perhaps they should've had him beating a few Jedis' asses before he went into the Council room..but the Younglings scene itself was perfect. The last thing we see is his blade igniting. You could feel it through the seats. That was more powerful to me than actually seeing him slaughter the children.

The one thing they maybe should've added was to have his eyes turn colors immediately before switching to the lightsaber shot.

NoFate007
I loved the younglings scene. That just helped so much in how many seconds to show how evil the dark side immediately makes you

Morning_Glory
Originally posted by The Biker Scout
I thought the slayings of the younglings part could have been cut...It bothered me alot. Other missed scenes could have been used in its place. And I'm psyched about the versions of the Bikers on the speeder bikes during Order 66...That was cool.

I dont think it should have been cut... but it did make me super sadcry

morgan01
watch closely again there was one tear down his cheek, some theaters are too dark on the screen for you to see it, but it was there.

Morning_Glory
who had a tear? Anakin or the youngling?

morgan01
anakin

SW3HP4IJ4
I thought it was agood scene. Palpatine said: "Do not hesitate, show no mercy" It showed how far down the dark side Anakin fell. Why is it a big deal??? All it did was show Anakin light up his lightsaber, then it transitioned to another scene. It's just the sense of dread of knowing what's about to happen that made it a sad, powerful, moment in the film.

lord sheridan
i found the youngling scene was awsome seeing them get slaughtered that was sweet

EHmasterJedi
Jezz this thread is useless, for god sake HE'S EVEL my only gripe might be the fact that they didnt show it, i mean jezz, its Darth Vader people thats EXACTLY what E3 is. Hayden was alittle cry baby through E2 and didnt show much reason why anyone would want him, for anything, that scene was great to show how blindy cold and heartless he'd become.

tlbauerle
Yea...just rewatched it...no tear. His scar...but no tear.

TX!
i think the scene was perfect the way it is and also you get the scene were one youngling tries to kill off some of the "order 66" people then gets shotdown

Delta 62
Given that a Jedi ordered the Clone Army..it makes you think..was the army actually made because he ordered it? Perhaps it was already somewhat underway. My reason for this: The genetic implant that made the clones instantly respond and betray their Jedi Generals. Maybe it had already been planned. It would imply that the Kaminoans were secretly in league with the Dark Lord.

Lazerlike42
A Jedi didn't order it. Syfo-Dyas was in the very, very early planning stages. Dooku is the one that actually placed the order, pretending to be Dyas himself.

Delta 62
Strange..that isn't how it went in the excerpt from Labryinth of Evil that I read.

Lazerlike42
that's directly from Labirynth of evil people have been citing that for weeks

Lazerlike42
In fact, it is stated in AOTC that Dooku himself brought Fett there to be cloned....

Delta 62
Hm..yes..I had forgotten about that.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.