Why didn't Obi-wan finish off Anakin?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lau_timmy
Did he just asume he would die, why not stick a saber though him to be sure, if he could he not bring himself to kill his friend, he seemed to have no problem letting him lay there and suffer while his legless body burned, Lucas should have come up with some way that he had to leave.

Mist
i would suspect it would be to carry on with the flow of the OT...

Lazerlike42
it's the same reason people can't stay in the room when their pets are put to sleep

finti
He left him to die, without help he wouldnt have survived his injuries

sundevilscott
He was dead(or dying)...so he thought.

vader519
Lso, if Obi-wan had gone down there, he would be risking his life as weel, since theta re next to the lava. What's to say Anakin would not use what strength he had left, and grab Obi-wan with his right hand and toss him into the lava.

Lana
Obi-wan didn't want to kill someone that was one of his closest friends.

WindDancer
If Obi wanted to kill Anakin all he had to do is use force push when Anakin was standing all alone in the raft. Anakin gets push back and falls into the river of lava. But Obi was too forgiving.

Jedi Merc
because then Ep. IV, V, VI wouldn't be

Falacerjedi
Pick up the book it explains it in there why he left Anakin/Vader laying there in the black ash along the river of lava instead of killing him...

Fishy
Well thats a nice argument, Obi just thought Anakin was dying no need to finish him off

New_Born_Pyro
And for us who don't have the book... Only comes out in 2 weeks here in Belgium. I'm gonna buy it for sure. But, could you tell me why?

snehin
as i see it obi was first too soft he should have made sure anakin was dead before leavin and second he couldnt watch a friend die but if u were in tht position and a friend almost a brother was confrontin death i bet u wouldn't want to watch him suffer so its a tough call fr me

Fishy
His face is full of pain when he leaves, he almost begs Anakin not to jump, he doesn't want Anakin to die, and he sure as hell doesn't want to be there..

You are right Snehin, he had no reason to stay there he thought Anakin was dying and he didn't want to be there when it happend

Lord Banshee
Anakin was burning... his body (or whats left of it was in flames). Do you really think Obi-Wan would step to him to finish it off. Anakin was his very best friend.

Ushgarak
Bloody good job he didn't finish it though.

Sans_Fi
Originally posted by Lana

Sure... better let him to face a SLOOOOOOOOW dead full of pain and agony...

Lord Banshee
lol yeh thats true also..

Ladyluck
obi-wan and anakin were so close, he probably just couldn't bring himself to kill him...that and because if he did, there would be no darth vader and then episodes iv-vi just wouldn't make sense...

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Lana

But hacking off his legs and arm is fine though

Ladyluck
Originally posted by ragesRemorse

maybe he wanted him to suffer...i mean, i understand how close they were but at that point, anakin was no longer anakin, he was darth vader...obi-wan knew that anakin had turned to the dark side and that there was no turning back, he was a different person...obi-wan wanted him to suffer for all the terrible things he did and maybe he didn't have that trouble doing it because he understood that he had lost anakin to the dark side forever...just a theory

Ladyluck
woah...that actually makes sense...

spencerspider
yea maybe he just thought it was darth vader laying there instead if his friend Anakin so that it was not as bad

Captain REX
Woooo...

I agree with LL.

southtownbluz
He didn't want him to suffer. That's heartless.

I don't care what a person does. When they're that close to you, you just can't stand to see them in pain. He left because he felt sick. He had to attend to Padme's injuries. The battle was over.

His best friend was gone.

THe hardest thing about that scene was Obi-Wan watching his friend burn.

::shudder::

jediwilldaddy
um i like most saw the look on obi wans face and he damn well knew it was anakin... or at least he was the shell of his former student.. in fact when anakin bursts into flames obi wan actualy turns his head away because he cant bear to watch.. he manages to look back one more time... sad sad stuff... i love this movie... not perfect but a good tradgedy all the same..

snehin
Originally posted by Fishy
His face is full of pain when he leaves, he almost begs Anakin not to jump, he doesn't want Anakin to die, and he sure as hell doesn't want to be there..

You are right Snehin, he had no reason to stay there he thought Anakin was dying and he didn't want to be there when it happend
thx anyway i think it is kinda good obi-one left and anakin survived it just makes the story juicier

CuthbertAllgood
all i can think to say is that it continued the theme of killing an unarmed opponent not being the jedi way. sure, the first time anakin killed dooku, but he was on his way to the dark side and was hesitant. mace was going to kill the sith lord, but again, different situation: he's the SITH LORD. plus he had just killed the other jedi sent to arrest him. both of these times the other phrase that popped up was "too dangerous to be left alive." no arms and legs and on fire near a stream of lava, in my opinion, doesn't qualify as "too dangerous to be left alive." as far as obi wan was concerned, he would be dead soon enough. now here's a question. it seems that the way sith die is one of 2. killed by a jedi(maul) or killed by your successor(plagueus, dooku, palpatine's plan for luke). had obi wan gone to finish off anakin, would he have been succeptible to palpatine's smooth talking ? it's something interesting to think about, but i'm gonna bet the majority says he was too advanced in the ways of a true jedi to be turned. i suppose it was just a thought.

snehin
Originally posted by CuthbertAllgood
all i can think to say is that it continued the theme of killing an unarmed opponent not being the jedi way. sure, the first time anakin killed dooku, but he was on his way to the dark side and was hesitant. mace was going to kill the sith lord, but again, different situation: he's the SITH LORD. plus he had just killed the other jedi sent to arrest him. both of these times the other phrase that popped up was "too dangerous to be left alive." no arms and legs and on fire near a stream of lava, in my opinion, doesn't qualify as "too dangerous to be left alive." as far as obi wan was concerned, he would be dead soon enough. now here's a question. it seems that the way sith die is one of 2. killed by a jedi(maul) or killed by your successor(plagueus, dooku, palpatine's plan for luke). had obi wan gone to finish off anakin, would he have been succeptible to palpatine's smooth talking ? it's something interesting to think about, but i'm gonna bet the majority says he was too advanced in the ways of a true jedi to be turned. i suppose it was just a thought.
wats tht mean??

Fishy
Originally posted by ragesRemorse

Of course it is, you have to stop him from fighting somehow...

And when your opponent jumps at you and you have a clear shot you take it. I don't care how much you love him, you would be a fool not too.

tkitna
I actually think that Kenobi thinks he is going to survive, but that he would be to injured and deformed to be of any risk in the future. Obi-Wan also knows that Anakin is the chosen one and if he does survive, there still may be hope that something good comes of it.

(yeah, I know i'm reaching)

snehin
Of course it is, you have to stop him from fighting somehow...

And when your opponent jumps at you and you have a clear shot you take it. I don't care how much you love him, you would be a fool not too.
i say anakin was thought dead i bet if obi-one was in anakin's position he would hav died so weather anakin should have been killed by the lightsaber the answer is yes but can obi-ones excused for not doin do
well ya cause if i was obi-one i would hav walked away too i cant bare to see my friends suffer so im goin to say obi-one had thought tht anakin was dead and can be excused for tht

Fishy
If Obi wanted him to survive he wouldn't have left him to die there.... He wouldn't have left Anakin when he was burning, he would have picked him up and took him away. Obi wanted him to die, he thought he would die.

snehin
If Obi wanted him to survive he wouldn't have left him to die there.... He wouldn't have left Anakin when he was burning, he would have picked him up and took him away. Obi wanted him to die, he thought he would die.
yes i know but i can excuse him for not killin him with a light saber is wat i meant. I mean i cant watch a friend who's like a brother to me suffer and make sure he's dead .So i can excuse him for not makin sure he din't die

snehin
i mean he died

Fishy
I agree I wouldn't have stayed there either... It would be to hard to kill him, but that doesn't mean it wasn't one of the biggest mistakes in the movie

snehin
I agree I wouldn't have stayed there either... It would be to hard to kill him, but that doesn't mean it wasn't one of the biggest mistakes in the movie
yeah thts true it was one of the biggest movie if i was GL i would hav made obi-one peirce anakin once before the lava burnt him for good measure

Fishy
That would kinda destroy the OT though now wouldn't it?

snehin
yeah i guess so in a way i guess the movie ended was good but even

Alaric45
He did not finish Anakin off because of how pathetic he was. He could not bear to witness him in this state any longer. Seeing his brother (as he calls him) in this state represented all that Anakin was not. His eyes were red with fury and hatred. Anakin no longer existed and a weaker more pathetic version of Darth Vader was crawling toward him still trying to kill him with 3 of his four appendages severed. Most of all Obi-wan could not bear to witness him burnt alive and he was overwhelmed and left.

snehin
Originally posted by Alaric45
He did not finish Anakin off because of how pathetic he was. He could not bear to witness him in this state any longer. Seeing his brother (as he calls him) in this state represented all that Anakin was not. His eyes were red with fury and hatred. Anakin no longer existed and a weaker more pathetic version of Darth Vader was crawling toward him still trying to kill him with 3 of his four appendages severed. Most of all Obi-wan could not bear to witness him burnt alive and he was overwhelmed and left.
wat r u talkin about??

snehin
anakin was presumed dead when obi-one wathed the lava touch him obi-one cant be blamed for anakins survival

Alaric45
Just read the script here. w w w.supershadow.com/

Go to the end. It says, OBI-WAN looks in horror as ANAKIN becomes engulfed in flames. OBI-WAN can't watch him as he struggles to climb the embankment, covered in flames.

JediMasterRetro
But if Obi had killed him then that would make no sence of the original trilogy would it. In the story terms I think it is becuase of Obi Wan cannot bare to see his "brother" dying and does not want to kill him also it fits into the jedi way that he cannot kill an unarmed openant Papltine still was technically armed with his Force Lighting

snehin
Originally posted by JediMasterRetro
But if Obi had killed him then that would make no sence of the original trilogy would it. In the story terms I think it is becuase of Obi Wan cannot bare to see his "brother" dying and does not want to kill him also it fits into the jedi way that he cannot kill an unarmed openant Papltine still was technically armed with his Force Lighting
good point

jango fatt
Cuz he's a """""""""""

DenKi
For me, Anakin Skywalker died when he killed Mace.....

snehin
yeh anakins dead and darth vador is born same hear but i still like acllin him anakin

tlbauerle
Is this still under discussion?

WTF? I thought it was pretty clear.

snehin
its obvious to all were just makin new excuses in my view

CuthbertAllgood
Originally posted by snehin
wats tht mean??

my apologies. i have a tendency to overwrite when i'm up too late. the basic idea behind that was that

A) there was a recurring use of the idea that killing an un armed opponent was not the jedi way.

B) the first two times this theme popped up, the theme that came with it included the reasoning "too dangerous to be left alive" as a reason to go ahead and kill them.

add part A to everything everyone's been saying about how it was too much of a risk to go near the lava and the emotional attachmen to anakin and B means basically: anakin had one robot arm, no legs, no lightsaber, and was on fire near a river of lava. personally, i don't consider that "too dangerous to be left alive" unless obi wan knew exactly what was going to happen.

@F1
Its a retorical question.

Obi-wan2005
He probally wanted him to suffer as he died not a quick kill but a long painfull one

snehin
hey is this thread still alive damn i thought it was cleared it is an obvious answer tht we settled agh!!

kenobi2004
I think he didn't finish him because when he left him he was burning....so he can't go there and keep chopping him like a potato,,i mean he is dying. but if he knew that anakin somehow could use anything to stop his body from burning,then he would had cut the head off.

green dude
Can i say something you have a friend who has save you life 4 times and has now gone to the darkside and you'v cut off arms and legs he's being burned by lava do
a) hit them with your light saber to stop the suffering
b) leave them be you can't bear to see them like this
d) if you hit them with your light saber it would scar you for life to know you killed a friend
c) leave them to their fate though they'll proiable be saved
e) you have hope they will be saved and someone eles wil kill them or help them
f) help them out maybe they will change back to normal theirs still hope for them

i would be (f) but then their would be no sequal starwars would end befor it started so i think it ok the way Lucas made it big grin

Ladyluck
i said it once and i'll say it again...maybe he wanted him to suffer...i mean, i understand how close they were but at that point, anakin was no longer anakin, he was darth vader...obi-wan knew that anakin had turned to the dark side and that there was no turning back, he was a different person...obi-wan wanted him to suffer for all the terrible things he did and maybe he didn't have that much trouble doing it because he understood that he had lost anakin to the dark side forever!

(and yes, i copy and pasted exactly what i said before, lol, but come on! it makes sense!)

Darth_Nefarus
I don't see why there's all this discussion about it.
If you chopped off a dudes arm and legs and he began to burn alive near a lava bank, you wouldn't finish him off because he would already be dead. Or so Obi-Wan thought.

darth_burnsy
he could not kill him because as anakin says him self 2 palpz wen he is about 2 kill dokou "it is not the jedi way to kill an unarmed enemy"! so he would hav broke da jedi code + he was his bst frend

rubber dickie
obi didn't even wanna fight ani in the first place. he asked yoda to kill him. but yoda said, "b!tch, you can't take palps... leave him to me. take care of vader, you must..." and he said "don't make me do it, he's like my brother." i'm not sticking a light saber though my brother's skull. it's a path to the dark side and against the jedi code.

yerssot
Originally posted by green dude
Can i say something you have a friend who has save you life 4 times and has now gone to the darkside and you'v cut off arms and legs he's being burned by lava do
a) hit them with your light saber to stop the suffering
b) leave them be you can't bear to see them like this
d) if you hit them with your light saber it would scar you for life to know you killed a friend
c) leave them to their fate though they'll proiable be saved
e) you have hope they will be saved and someone eles wil kill them or help them
f) help them out maybe they will change back to normal theirs still hope for them

i would be (f) but then their would be no sequal starwars would end befor it started so i think it ok the way Lucas made it big grin
I thought it was 9 times? ... ten if you count that one time at Cato Neimoda wink

smoker4
Originally posted by yerssot
I thought it was 9 times? ... ten if you count that one time at Cato Neimoda wink

That one, that one doesnt count smokin'

Grand Moff Gav
obi couldnt kill his brother

tpaquin
He had a Doctor's appointment that he was already late for.

Jerico
Well i guess you'd assume that with his arms and legs off while hes on fire on the lip of a lake of flaming lava he'd be pretty rooted

Of course he never seemed to sense that he wasn't dead using that force thingie, and consdiering how close there supposed to be you'd think there'd be some connection via the force, but really, you can't kill vader, that would just be confusing

Also to finish off his unarmed and wounded oppenent woulden't be very jedi, even if it was a mercy killing i'd wildly imagine

MJT127
here's what it says in the book

"In the end there was only one choice. It was a choice he had made many years before, when he had passed his trials of Jedi Knighthood, and sworn himself to the Jedi forever. In the end, he was still Obi-Wan Kenobi, and he was still a Jedi, and he would not murder a helpless man. he would leave it to the will of the Force.

bruthaindahood
in an interveiw i read ewan mcgregor (obi wan) said that obi wan would have killed anikin if he knew that sen. palpatien woule rebuild him.

Bar-en-Danwedh
anikan acted really unprofessional in AOTC in front of the naboo governement and that reflects poorly on obiwan as an instructor.

then he carries on about not being made a master, after they have gratiously allowed him to enter a council meeting...

if i had been obi, i would have been absolutly mortified with embaressment and i would have cut his head of before he srtarted sliding...

especially, when he's saying, what the hell happened to you, i loved you, you were my brother...
to which ani says 'i hate you'

i'd be pretty hurt by that, i would have kicked his ass into the lava!

jabbar
Originally posted by Bar-en-Danwedh
especially, when he's saying, what the hell happened to you, i loved you, you were my brother...
to which ani says 'i hate you'

i'd be pretty hurt by that, i would have kicked his ass into the lava!

But don't you feel sorry for Anakin? When yo think about it, he was betrayed by everyone he knew, even Palpatine (even though he was too gullible to know it). The Jedi council used him as a spy, they didn't trust him, they were very abrupt and ignorant of him. He even wrongfully thought Padme was against him. As far as he was concerned, only Sidious/Palps appeared to be on his side (which Sidious/palps orchestrated masterfully). His expression when he looks up at Obi-wan, after his legs/arms are sabred, is heart wrenching - you feel so helpless for him, and feel for him ...

astrofan428
I feel for him, that is one of my favorite aspects of the PT.

454 LS6
Ok, 3 BIG reasons!
1. Obi-Wan loved Anikan as a brother. So he couldn't kill him, just as he told Yoda.
2. A true jedi can not kill a defenseless enemy. Anikan had a burnt mechanical right arm, thats it....oh and the force too but he was to exhausted.
3. The most important point, if Obi-Wan killed Anikan then, how do you explain Darth Vador in Episodes 4, 5, and 6???

It would've been impossible for Obi-Wan to kill Anikan because of 4, 5, and 6.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.