Out of the Fire and Into the Frying Pan

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Biker Scout
As for the much-touted opening aerial dogfight with Anakin and Obi-Wan firing on the clones in a cluttered digital landscape, the effect is pure video game and purely without threat. Lucas fills Sith with so much computerized wizardry that it barely jibes with the low-tech original, taking place decades later, which shows the touch of human hands and plays all the better for it. But as cop-outs go, you can't beat the reasons that turn Anakin bad. Suffering nightmares about his wife dying while giving birth, he joins the Sith, who claim power over death, to save the woman he loves. If it means the killing of Jedi younglings, so be it. If it means letting his hubris run amok like any yuppie exec, so be it. It's like hearing that the young Hannibal Lecter was weaned on food instead of live flesh.

Lucas almost pulls the plot out of the fire in the film's final section, showing Obi-Wan hacking away at Anakin with his light-saber on the lava planet of Mustafar. Lucas even drops a hint that Anakin thinks Padme and Obi-Wan may have been getting it on. As we watch Anakin nearly melt in the lava, only to be put together, Frankenstein style, in a lab while Lucas intercuts scenes of Padme giving birth to the twins Luke and Leia, a link to genuine feeling is established at last. It's too little and too late. To hail Revenge of the Sith as a satisfying bridge to a classic is not just playing a game of the Emperor's New Clothes, it's an insult to what the original accomplished. To paraphrase Padme: This is how truth dies -- to thunderous applause.

New_Born_Pyro
Come on.
It is a great movie.
I think one of the best SW movies.
It's so dark and dramatic.
I mean, you just gotta love this movie.

Jedi Merc
its better than I and II

WindDancer
Originally posted by The Biker Scout

Lucas even drops a hint that Anakin thinks Padme and Obi-Wan may have been getting it on.

Indeed I had that reaction during the scene involving all three characters. That scene felt like a regular TV soap opera. A triangle love affair that drives one of the guys into a crime of passion. It would have been funny if Anakin said "I ain't the daddy of those kids!" LOL!!!!!

The Biker Scout
Yeah your right...I Kinda love it

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.