John Carpenter vs Wes Craven

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

LeAtHerRFace
I favor John Carpenters movies more. Better acting, movies, and it just makes more sense.
You?

Freddy_vs_Jason
Wes gave us the Nightmare on Elm Streets, so him, and he sure knows how to scare an audience, Leather you should have made this a pole. yes

Lord Soth
John Carpenter has more mainstream movies to his name, sure. But Craven created my all time fave horror movies of all time; The Scream Trilogy. So Craven definitlely gets my vote yes

Cinemaddiction
Both were the masters at their time, and both ended up fizzling out, thanks to below par sequels to their movies.

However, Wes Craven was the only one to really have a comeback after somewhat of an 80's slump with me and Soth's franchise, "Scream".

That said, advantage Craven.

Linkalicious
Ghosts of Mars??? please...

Craven has this one...

The Redeemer
For me, Craven only ever did two GOOD horror films... THE LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT and THE HILLS HAVE EYES... neither of which I'm a MAJOR fan of.

On the other hand Carpenter made HALOWEEN which is landmark on what can be done with the stalk'n''slash genre without employing the talents of Tom Savini. And then there's THE THING. rock

Heads for Craven, tails for Carpenter. Tails wins! big grin

Cinemaddiction
That's the point. Carpenter hasn't done anything since the mid 80's. He had his brainchild ruined, just like Craven did.

Craven actually picked up the pieces, and did something else inventive.

They are abut equal as far as ingenuity, but Craven has the longevity, no matter how many mistakes he had along the way.

WindDancer
Is hard to pick one. I'm more of a Clive Barker movie watcher.

samhain
Carpenter isn't solely a horror director, otherwise I would vote for Craven, but carpenter has made other films, They live, Escape from New York, and the horrors he has made have been good, Halloween, The Fog, overall I think Carpenter is the better film maker.

Gabri_Krueger
so Wes Craven. It's obvios. the movies are better big grin

Gabri_Krueger
6 Craven and 3 Carpenter 1 Barker :{

Gabri_Krueger
:$

Gabri_Krueger
big grin

Gabri_Krueger
craven wins by a landslide!

HockeyHorror
both are great.

im not voting for this specific topic.

Gabri_Krueger
ok...so...;, didlie-De didlie-De didlie-De didlie-De

LeAtHerRFace
My opinion is that Cravens only movies worth watching were The Scream Trilogy. Carpenter has awesome films such as: Halloween, The Thing, Vampires, The Hills Have Eyes, etc.

Gabri_Krueger
too bad session over! craven wins. cas i say so.

Cinemaddiction
"Hills" is Craven.

LeAtHerRFace
OoPz Forgot. But still Carpenter rocks more.

slayer
Both. Craven Brought In Scream, Hills Have Eyes, They And NOEs. While Carpenter did the thing, hallloween and the fog, very hard question.

LeAtHerRFace
Oh yea how can I forget "The Fog"?!?!. That movie rocked. "They" was just a very stupid movie, in my opinion. I mean, it was alright in the beggining but slacked off as it got closer and closer to the end.

slayer
I thought it was good. Nothing to special though.

LeAtHerRFace
Hah. The ending sucked b@lls though.

Gabri_Krueger
the fog? it all suked

ragesRemorse
If your actually trying to compare these film directors you need to be beaten with barbed wire. Craven's movies aren't even in the same league as carpenter. Yeah craven has a few great films, cult followings even, but you have to look at consistency and quality here. craven's eraly work was raw and flooding with potential, however he just kind of trailed off onto a long dark road of shit movies. I mean dracula 2000, and dracula 2000 2, and they. not to mention all of his other half ass attempts that never even made it to theaters. Credit still needs to be given, at one time he knew horror, he knew how to break the rules. he gave us freddy and scream. god bless him.

however carpenter is a deverse director that knows horror just as well as craven and continues on a consistant line. The thing, Halloween, and aliens is what makes carpenter a champ in the horror realm. I love craven so font get me wrong but these are two very different directors, but if you want to compare them the simple fact is that carpenter is the superb movie maker, consistancy and quality wins over a few cult followings

Gabri_Krueger
U SUK! CRAVEN IS WAY PAST CARPENTER!

LeAtHerRFace
no expression

Gabri_Krueger
wat?

LeAtHerRFace
Why is Kruegur ur idol? shifty

ragesRemorse
nice mentality there krueger. Cant even take someone elses opinion without lashing out like a child. I guess you would have to have the mind of a child though, you would if you enjoy the majority of wes cravens films .

Gabri_Krueger
CAS I AM HIS SPAWN! I AM THE BIGGEST FAN AND I HAVE BEEN FOR 4 YEARS! ok? lol big grin

Gabri_Krueger
for your information i AM a child. i am 12.

LeAtHerRFace
LoL. You gotta work on being more mature dude. But its cool that you have an idol.

ragesRemorse
so do you have the burnt skin and the glove and the dreary sarcasim and the whole bit?

Gabri_Krueger
thanx big grin

LeAtHerRFace
laughing out loud

Gabri_Krueger
mad i do not LOOK ike him. i am just his spirit come back to earth to kill the children evil face big grin

ragesRemorse
oh ok thanks for clearing that up. but wait...wouldnt that mean youd have to kill yourself.

LeAtHerRFace
wacko

Cinemaddiction
What the hell are you talking about, bro?

"Aliens"? James Cameron directed "Aliens", first of all. Secondly, John Carpenter has had 2, count them, 2 decent movies in the past 16 years! What are they? "Vampires" and "In the Mouth of Madness". That is IT.

Is everyone forgetting Crapenter's (intentionally misspelled) "Ghosts of Mars", "Village of the Damned", or "Escape from LA"?

Like I said, these two guys are basically in a dead heat. But to say that John Carpenter has ANY kind of longevity when compared to Wes Craven is ridiculous, and false.

It's a given that Craven has had his share of nuggets, but if you take their movies from the same time span of the past 16 years, this is what Wes Craven has to hold up against Carpenter's two decent movies of all 3 he has made since "They Live" in '86.

Scream 1
Scream 2
Scream 3
People Under the Stairs
Shocker
Serpent and the Rainbow

Is it not fairly obvious that Wes Craven has made 6 times as many films in that time span, with 3 times as many as Carpenter actually grossing something worth mentioning?

Seriously, save that barbed wire for someone/something else, cuz I think you're way off with you assessments here.

Lord Soth
A side note to Gabri: Know thine place, n00b evil face

Freddy_vs_Jason
Wow! four years!? *sarcasim* so what! four years big deal!! people have been since those movies came out 20 years ago, your not his biggest fan, and you'll never know because the biggest fan will own the most Freddy merciandise and know most about him, and you'll never know who does because it includes the whole world.

P.S: And you can't be his biggest fan if you didn't even see them at the movies.

BAFilmworks
I'm going to have to go with Carpenter on this... While not all his films are horror most of them (until recently) are excellent.
Carpenter's best
Assault From Precient 13
Halloween
The Fog
They Live
Escape From N.Y.
the Thing
In the Mouth of Madness
Prince of Darkness
Craven's best
Last House on the Left
Hills Have Eyes
NOES 1
People Under the Stairs

The Scream's were entertaining, but by no means horror masterpieces, Serpent and the Rainbow was interesting, as was Wes Craven's New Nightmare, Shocker was a nice piece of schlock cinema, but not really great by horror standards, and Hills Have Eyes 2 was godawful, and all copies must be destroyed. Not to mention Music of the Heart which was just total shit, and anything that he attaches his name to on a producer level is bad (ex. They)

Gabri_Krueger
i dont no what ever the hell lord soth said means but... i like the way you think fvsj oh and i agree cinimadiction

LeAtHerRFace
Hah, what Lord Soth means is, dont go out of place. And know where u stand, because your a n00b.

Gabri_Krueger
so i still could kik your ass any time! mad

@F1
carpenter

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.