palpys face

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Jayno
Hi guys

We see palpys face change in to that we recognise as that of the emporer whilst fighting windu. He claims that this is scarring due to the battle. When we see him as sidius, he also has this currupt face and voice. Is this his true appearance?. Is he like the changeling bounty hunter in AOTC? Or is it a dark side ability to disguise himself?

Ken Kenobi
No. The lightning reflected back at him melted his face.

bILLYgOAT
its plasticine

Darth Jayno
what about the voice though?

Captain REX
He can do that at command. I am supposing that his non-corrupt voice is his "Look at me, I'm the kindly old Chancellor!" voice, and then when he's done putting up with that ruse, he slips into his "Mofo! I'll wipe you all out..." voice.

Y-chromo kid
Ah yes papy's face. I was one of those praying those early pictures were somehow not representative of ROTS Palpy. Unfortunately that wasn't the case. I scratched my head: how come the Palpy make up was so much better in ROTJ? The special effects were the only trump card the PT had over the OT, and yet modern made-up Palps looked like the victim of a pre-school face painter.

Delta 62
The voice question was rather stupid. It's like a little kid acting sweet in front of parents and then showing his true colors to his little brother when they're alone..that sort of thing. He put up a front until he was ready to reveal his plans.

obi_wans_beard
One of the problems was that his upper face was too dark, it was severly encased in shadow thanks to the hood. In Empire we can see his eyes and forehead a lot more clearly under the cloak, but in Sith it was very dark and his eyes looked very strange indeed.

I thought that his face reverting to the ROTJ look was because he was using so much power he is unable to disguise his appearance. I think this is backed up by his hands going pasty and his finger nails going sharp and a dirty brown colour (they were all white in Jedi!) this couldn't have been caused by the sith lightning so it just must be his true appearance.

George really should have had Palpatine say a line of dialogue so clarify this to the audience because it is pretty confusing. Something along the lines of "So now you have seen my true face and the power of the dark side!!!!"

Delta 62
The deformed face isn't his true face. It only looks like that because of his own lightning. His hatred was turned back on him, melting his skin. He exerted so much power through his hands that even they changed.

obi_wans_beard
I still think its his true face, otherwise why didn't Luke end up looking like a prune? He had a lot of severe lightning unleashed upon him, nevertheless it will be certainly interesting to the new scenes added to the DVD and Georges commentry.

He really needs to elaborate on Palpatine talking about creating life through the midichlorians, my mate is convinced that Plagues is Anakins father even though I think he died way before Anakin was even born. I think it was just a plot trigger George inserted but never fired, remember Palpatine was going to tell Anakin he was his father!!!

Darth_Sidious01
Originally posted by Delta 62
The voice question was rather stupid. It's like a little kid acting sweet in front of parents and then showing his true colors to his little brother when they're alone..that sort of thing. He put up a front until he was ready to reveal his plans.
I would want to believe that but i really dont...it might be due to the lightning that his voice got really raspy..cause you could tell as he was dubbing Anakin as Vader his voice was deepening and rising and falling constantly as he was trying to speak...i honestly thought the lightning messed up his vocal cords to some extent to where it makes his voice a little raspy and scratchy...but hey whatever makes him sound more evil and reptilian

EHmasterJedi
Being there really wasnt any clear reason as to weather his face was melted or if he was just unmasked, becasue we dont know of palpi is lying to the senate or not, Im going to BELIEVE he was unmasked and that hes actualy very old and been around for quite some time, he already had the voice because he used it a couple times before he changed, and to go along with that ill believe that he actualy wanted the lightening deflected back on him so he could put Anakin in a quick desion position, and that he could of took Windu out when ever, after all if he was so weak how did he blown him a half mile out of the window, and how did he blown the saber out of Yoda hand at the end of the duel.

Darth Jayno
Looking at TPM and AOTC, when we see him as sidius. Although his face is pretty shodowed, from what we can see of it, it looks really white and wrinkled. he also has the voice then too. I think the human appearance is a disguise.

Lazerlike42
At the end of AOTC his skin is smooth as a baby's bottom and perfectly colored.

DeVi| D0do
I posted this in the other thread:

it seems Ian's understanding is that the lightning has nothing to do with it...

http://img287.echo.cx/my.php?image=palps8zt.jpg

"The Emperor you see in the last film looks like he does because he's very old and very evil - it is what he always looked like."

Lazerlike42
I am still waiting on the guy who said Lucas said otherwise.... the article lends a lot of credence to the idea that the lightning was meaningless, but actors say stuff in interviews all the time that's bogus, and on top of that Ian McDiarmad isn't canon, and the novelization is and supposedly it says the lightning melts his face, so I don't know.... if he can provide a Lucas quote than that settles it, otherwise we may have to wait for the DVD

Fishy
And SLJ apparently said in an interview that he wouldn't mind to die as long as he died after defeating a Sith Lord.

Those two support both sides of the argument.

Lazerlike42
The fellow in the other thread posted his response, and cited the April edition of Entertainment magazine as well as a televsion interview.

Darth Jayno
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
I posted this in the other thread:

it seems Ian's understanding is that the lightning has nothing to do with it...

http://img287.echo.cx/my.php?image=palps8zt.jpg

"The Emperor you see in the last film looks like he does because he's very old and very evil - it is what he always looked like."

Nice article. I think this is the answer and one i always suspected, his palpatine appearance is a disguise. The lightning may of unmasked him and stopped him from reverting back to his disguise?? but I suspect it was the outlet of evil that made him show his true colours.

Lazerlike42
Originally posted by Darth Jayno
Nice article. I think this is the answer and one i always suspected, his palpatine appearance is a disguise. The lightning may of unmasked him and stopped him from reverting back to his disguise?? but I suspect it was the outlet of evil that made him show his true colours.

No.... Ian can believe whatever he wants it doesn't make him right. Like I said in the Yoda and Mace more powerful than Sidious Poll thread (or whatever it's called) someone cited references quoting Lucas as saying that the lightning melts his face.

D@nte
What are you talking back, when Palpatine met up with Dooku at the end of Episode 2, before Palpatine used lightning on Mace, he had the same face and voice! And when Mace blocked the ligthning, Palpatine wasn't going weaker! He was all lying to make Anakin kill Mace, so he could get closer to the dark side! You see that because when Anakin cuts off MAces arm, Palpatine starts laughing, and uses his force lightning again!!
All he was doing is coming back to his original form!

Lazerlike42
Watch AOTC again because I watched it last night specifically to check this. In AOTC in his meeting with Dooku his skin is as smooth as a baby's bottom and his chin has Senator Palpatine's signature tight dimple on it. Furthermore his skin has very healty color. You can't see the eyes, but what you can see looks perfect.

Lazerlike42
His VOICE is different, because that is his real voice. Further evidence seeing as that with Dooku he reverts to his real voice but not appearence. Why one and not the other?

Lazerlike42
http://wso.williams.edu/~rfoxwell/starwars/TPM/pubpics/SidiousCover.jpg

http://wso.williams.edu/~rfoxwell/starwars/TPM/pics/Sidious2.jpg

http://itsb.ucsf.edu/~vcr/emp.jpeg

jrodslam
Originally posted by Darth Jayno
Hi guys

We see palpys face change in to that we recognise as that of the emporer whilst fighting windu. He claims that this is scarring due to the battle. When we see him as sidius, he also has this currupt face and voice. Is this his true appearance?. Is he like the changeling bounty hunter in AOTC? Or is it a dark side ability to disguise himself?

Its exactly how you put it. Hes was able to diguise his true appearance until the tme was right and he could use the "Im soo weak" to influence and convince Anakin that the Jedi were the real bad guys. When in actuality, that was his true form.

jrodslam
So i assume the lightning changed Sids eye color too right? No.
The lightning also made sids loose teeth huh? No.

When being soo full of hatred and being so full of the darkside, your appearance changes.

When Anakin was in full darside rage, notice how his eye color kept changing back and forth from yellow and red then back to normal. Anakin wasnt able to control that. Sids on the other hand is The Sith Lord. He has decades as a sith and knows how to change his appearance at will.

Lazerlike42
GEORGE LUCAS SAID THAT'S THE WAY IT IS AND THUS THERE IS NO MORE NEED TO DEBATE THIS mad

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.