Luke & Leia question

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Falacerjedi
...sorry if this has been asked in another thread I searched a few of em but didn't find an answer to my question...

So end of RotS Bail, Yoda and Obi-Wan all know about the twins and where they are going, their names, etc, etc...

...fastforward to ESB and when Luke leaves for Cloud City to face Vader for the first time Obi-Wan says "that boy is our last hope" but Yoda says "no there is another"... Did Obi-Wan forget about Leia while he was watching over Luke all those years? He knew about the twins in RotS so it seems unlikely he forgot about her so did he think because she had not yet realized her connection to Luke & Anakin/Vader that she maybe wasn't able to use the force or feel it yet?

Been rewatching the original 3 movies to try and make the connections between the new 3 movies and the originals to see how well GL connected all the stories and similarities and a few questions have been popped in my head.

...again if this was covered somewhere else post a link to it and i will read that thread - thanks!

Ken Kenobi
Originally posted by Falacerjedi
...sorry if this has been asked in another thread I searched a few of em but didn't find an answer to my question...

So end of RotS Bail, Yoda and Obi-Wan all know about the twins and where they are going, their names, etc, etc...

...fastforward to ESB and when Luke leaves for Cloud City to face Vader for the first time Obi-Wan says "that boy is our last hope" but Yoda says "no there is another"... Did Obi-Wan forget about Leia while he was watching over Luke all those years? He knew about the twins in RotS so it seems unlikely he forgot about her so did he think because she had not yet realized her connection to Luke & Anakin/Vader that she maybe wasn't able to use the force or feel it yet?

Been rewatching the original 3 movies to try and make the connections between the new 3 movies and the originals to see how well GL connected all the stories and similarities and a few questions have been popped in my head.

...again if this was covered somewhere else post a link to it and i will read that thread - thanks!

I don't know. It didn't seem the twins got a blood test for their midicholrians, so maybe Obi Wan didn't think Leia would be as powerful as Luke.

This has bugged me too.

Mist
what are you saying....obiwan should have trained leia as well? i dont really followconfused sorryembarrasment

Lazerlike42
ummm

probably more rhetoric than anything else. It could easily be changed to Yoda saying "no, remember there is another," without chaning the meaning.

Also, and I doubt it since there are so many female Jedi, but Obi-Wan could be being sexist, but a more likely version of this theory is that he just assumes Luke's been trained already, whereas Leia hasn't been AND it's getting pretty late for anything to happen so if it's gonna happen it has to happen soon.

Mist
maybe leia aint as attuned to the force? can she see the ghosts in rotj?
maybe she has more of padme's side of the dna...and luke has anakins...? confused

Lazerlike42
lol.... this is going to start a "genetically do midichlorians get passed through paternally dominant or maternally dominant genes" thread

jrodslam
^ Agreed. Time was running out, and Obi probably figured that Leia wouldnt be attuned to her powers as Luke was.

Remember, in the OT's there was more than one occasion where people were saying that Luke was just like his father. He had more of his father in him that Leia did most likely.

And Luke was a fast learner.

finti
(the purpose of that line "no there is another one" was aimed at the audience as a cliffhanger.)
But for the sake of debate well there is also the fact that Leia yet had to be trained in the skills of the force and the jediways. As long as Leia wasnt "introduced" to be trained in the ways of the force she was kind off safe from Vader and the Emperor. They hadnt picked upon her force abilities, if any, but probably would if she was to be trained.
Yoda wasnt exactly young and I dont know how they as jedi ghost could train her, and with time running out for the rebellion, the new death star and stuff there wasn`t simply time to train her either.

Lazerlike42
very good points! Yoda was near death and without training Leai couldn't see the ghosts

finti
he he looked at your profile Lazerlike42, your birthday is the day Return of the Jedi premiered in Norway, and the date you registered onto this board is my birthday...........................ok back to topoic last hope huh

Darth_Duffy
But Bail and his wife still had a chance of functioning in society prior to the takover of the empire. Bringing up a Jedi would put pay to all that so they probably decided to bring her up as a normal girl.

finti
who were to train her as a jedi?, Obi Wan and Yoda was in exile to hide from Vader and the Emperor

Fishy
And who would be insane enough to do that?

Vader and the Emperor would have hunted her down if she was a Jedi. All Jedi became enemy's of the republic,they needed to die. Palpatine would have done everything he could to make sure Leia would die. He would have send his entire army there to kill her if he knew about a Jedi there.

Lazerlike42
Originally posted by finti
he he looked at your profile Lazerlike42, your birthday is the day Return of the Jedi premiered in Norway, and the date you registered onto this board is my birthday...........................ok back to topoic last hope huh big grin

tlbauerle
You know what else....the line: "There's something familiar about this place" would have been perfect if ObiWan and Luke stopped off at Dagobah to see greeny off.

tlbauerle
double post...Scuse me..

finti
thats all right tlbauerle with that cool sig of yours we dont mind

bilb
Originally posted by finti
(the purpose of that line "no there is another one" was aimed at the audience as a cliffhanger.)
But for the sake of debate well there is also the fact that Leia yet had to be trained in the skills of the force and the jediways. As long as Leia wasnt "introduced" to be trained in the ways of the force she was kind off safe from Vader and the Emperor. They hadnt picked upon her force abilities, if any, but probably would if she was to be trained.
Yoda wasnt exactly young and I dont know how they as jedi ghost could train her, and with time running out for the rebellion, the new death star and stuff there wasn`t simply time to train her either.

This is the biggest plothole of the saga to me. It annoys the hell out of me that GL didnt do more to tie this one up.

No Leia hadnt been trained but its not like Luke had years of training either. No yoda wasnt young but he certainly had more than enough time to train Leia had he wanted to. And besides the fact, by now we see that Yoda aint exactly that great of a teacher.. Blinded by his arrogance... still holds true in ESB IMO.

Basically to me its a matter of George putting taht line in ROTJ, then when he made the PT said 'oh I'll get to that', and once he got to it time was running short so he axed it. Dodgy at best...

Lazerlike42
Yoda has had 20 years of training under Qui-Gon and has learned the errors in his ways by ESB. He's not being arrogant when he is forceful or confident in what he says to Luke. It's important for a good teacher to be confident always and forceful when required.

Furthermore, Luke had come to Obi-Wan on Tatooine, and been trained to the point where he could see Obi's ghost to be told to go see Yoda. If Luke dies or turns to the dark side, there is no way whatsoever for Yoda (and Ben for that matter) to get Leia to Dagobah for training.

snehin
this topic is forever binding noone nows why obi-one took luke

stephydala
Luke being trained at all was circumstantial. I mean, it's not like Obi-wan went over to Luke and was like, 'time for you to be a jedi'. He recieved the message from Leia, and then decided to train Luke (because he needed help), and Luke let Obi-wan train him because there was nothing else left for him on Tattooine since his aunt and uncle had just been killed.

Obi-wan couldn't have chosen to train Leia because he had passed on before he could even meet her. Also it was better that Leia not be trained by yoda because she was busy with the rebellian, and if vader and the emperor sensed her using th force she would become an even bigger target.

Reborn Again
...fastforward to ESB and when Luke leaves for Cloud City to face Vader for the first time Obi-Wan says "that boy is our last hope" but Yoda says "no there is another"... Did Obi-Wan forget about Leia while he was watching over Luke all those years?

Remember, Obi-Wan could only sense Luke's connection to the Force and not Leia's. She had no training. Only when someone expresses extraordinary feats do they make a wake in the Force.

finti
they waited for the time the rebellion was strong enough to be a threath to the empire. Obi Wan watched over Luke and just waited until the time was right.

more or less said a couple of posts before yours As long as Leia wasnt "introduced" to be trained in the ways of the force she was kind off safe from Vader and the Emperor. They hadnt picked upon her force abilities, if any, but probably would if she was to be trained.

still she was the child of Anakin so ..........

mysterio69
maybe by "there is another.", yoda meant vader. always kinda wondered. maybe he figured there is still good in him, and he would end up fulfilling the whole prophecy thing...or not. blink

Falacerjedi
Originally posted by mysterio69
maybe by "there is another.", yoda meant vader. always kinda wondered. maybe he figured there is still good in him, and he would end up fulfilling the whole prophecy thing...or not. blink

well he did fulfill it because in RotJ it was Vader not Luke that tossed the Emperor down the shaft....

...and I realize why Obi-Wan trained Luke but thats not the question i asked, my question was did Obi-Wan forget that Leia exsisted... he knew she is Anakins daughter and thus being a Skywalker she one day would have some sort of connection with the force. So why did Obi-Wan say "that boy was our last hope"?

I guess this could go on forever but as I rewatch the original trilogoy a few questions have popped up in my head (heck I even went and saw RotS for the 3rd time today to try and make the connection but nothng stood out to me).

mysterio69
ahhh...but maybe luke was their last hope to get the prophecy fulfilled. he was told he had to face vader. maybe it was hoped that he would bring him back to the light side, and play his role as the chosen one.
and as for leia, when vader interrogates her, he doesn't say..."the force is strong with this one" like he does for luke. so maybe obi-wan just figures leia isn't really in tune w/ the force like luke. but, i'm babbling on now, so i'll stop.

Rogue Jedi
luke was their first choice, for whatever reason. maybe the jedi are sexist.

mysterio69
then how do ya explain aayla, shaak-ti, the old lady in the archives... stick out tongue

Morning_Glory

he probably thought in the sense.. since Leia was a girl she couldnt battle...sexist!

mysterio69
Originally posted by Morning_Glory
he probably thought in the sense.. since Leia was a girl she couldnt battle...sexist!
but obi-wan was present when there were a crap-load of jedi from both sexes and from many species, so it's probably not sexist. or maybe it is. we can just ask that dork supershadow to ask his good buddy gl personally next time he chats with him over eggs benedict at skywalker ranch. only then, will we find out. stick out tongue Happy Dance

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.