Vader in a different light

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

wozzy_the_dark
Now that we know just how Anakin turns to the darkside, does anyone else see Vader in a different light? When i first saw the OT i thought he was this bad ass dude that had no heart, no until ROTJ. Now with ROTS we learn that Anakin thought that everything he was doing was for the good of the republic (or so he thought), and trying to save Padme. With this knowledge i feel kinda sorry for Vader, as i dont think he realised what was going to happen in the end.

Darth Weirdo
I agree.

DarkYoda
yep! yes

adamrubin
correct

mtryder
I agree, to a point. I viewed Vader sympathetically up until the temple raid. Fro mthere onward, he was just as heartless and undeniably evil as the OT had us believing from the getgo.

KharmaDog
The best villians are ones that the audience can have empathy for or at least understand their motivations.

NoFate007
This is my theory...Anakin is Anakin right up until he embraces the dark side for the first time. Then he becomes Vader. The dark side is so powerful that the second you submit to it, you're screwed. That is why I think it is such a quick transition. Anakin is Anakin right up until he is given the name Lord Vader, and he takes the initiative to slaughter people. Then he is evil beyond recognition, hence why he can even fight Obi-Wan, who is like a brother/father to him. Then, when Darth Vader finds out that his child is still alive, something goes off in his senses, and from Empire till the end of Jedi, he's in the same condition he was in that scene where he is torn and crying. In ROTS he was a slowly turning bad guy grasping onto good, in ROTJ and whatnot, he's a slowly turning good guy still slightly grasped on the bad. That is why he toys with Luke in their lightsaber fights and tries to talk him out of things. In ROTJ, he makes the full snap back into the light side, and the second he turns around to kill Palpatine, the light side flows through him as strongly as the dark side did in ROTS.

jainasolo55
Originally posted by NoFate007
This is my theory...Anakin is Anakin right up until he embraces the dark side for the first time. Then he becomes Vader. The dark side is so powerful that the second you submit to it, you're screwed. That is why I think it is such a quick transition. Anakin is Anakin right up until he is given the name Lord Vader, and he takes the initiative to slaughter people. Then he is evil beyond recognition, hence why he can even fight Obi-Wan, who is like a brother/father to him. Then, when Darth Vader finds out that his child is still alive, something goes off in his senses, and from Empire till the end of Jedi, he's in the same condition he was in that scene where he is torn and crying. In ROTS he was a slowly turning bad guy grasping onto good, in ROTJ and whatnot, he's a slowly turning good guy still slightly grasped on the bad. That is why he toys with Luke in their lightsaber fights and tries to talk him out of things. In ROTJ, he makes the full snap back into the light side, and the second he turns around to kill Palpatine, the light side flows through him as strongly as the dark side did in ROTS.

yes i agree with you. i makes you kinda feel bad for anakin/vader now

moviejunkie23
Originally posted by NoFate007

well said

Darth_Duffy
to be honest i'd have agreed with you if he hadn't slaughtered the younglings sad

theshakl
yeah i think the darkside is like a drug..its addicting..and when he cut off Mace's hand...that was it.... it was the dose of drug(darkside) he need it to get hooked on it.. u know?

Reborn Again
I see him as a tragic character instead of an evil one. The whole saga -- 6pt movie - is about Vader and no longer about Luke Skywalker.

Delta 62
Yes..the youngling slaughter is a terrible thing. But keep in mind Anakin only did it because he believed it would save Padme. His love for her was so great that he was willing to do ANYTHING to save her life.

Obi-wan2005
he knew it was not good for the republic u dumbass

The dark side blinded him

Batman316
I watched the OT after getting back from the cinema and in ROTJ there is one scene that sent a chill up my spine that is due only to viewing ROTS.

On Endor when Luke is presented to Vader, they have a talk then the stormies lead Luke off and Vader is alone and he moves to the side of the walkway and just stands there motionless. If the camera had changed to a different scene straight away then it would have been differend but instead it just fixed on Vader for a few seconds.

I always thought him saving Luke and killing the Emperor was a spare of the moment thing but after that scene I realise that Anakin starts to surface there. Then in the saberfight Luke absolutely owns Vader.... or Vader simply can't bring himself to kill his son...

ragesRemorse
What Ankin did was out of greed and fear though, it wasnt for the best of the republic.

southtownbluz
I love this thread. This is totally how I feel. I definitely see the whole series in a different light now. And I really, really feel bad for Vader. There's something that's so addicting about ROTS too. Anakin's fall is so tragic, more tragic than anything I've seen in movies for quite some time.

NoFate007> Well said man. Very well said.

Batman316> I'm going to watch that right now. Thanks dude.

My friend's and I have been talking about this movie since May 19. We saw the midnight premiere. My brother really, really likes this movie, which he wasn't sure would be good or not after the two previous ones.

To be honest with you guys, I've noticed something: I read all the people complaining about Episodes 1 and 2, but have always sat back and said to myself they were okay. They weren't the best films of all time, but they didn't suck. I loved Episode 1, but Episode 2 I felt a little cheated near the end. Anyways, I still thought both were good movies.

But after watching ROTS, I think the other two films are a little dull in comparison now. I mean, ROTS had some strong emotion in it. It made all the films pale in comparison in my opinoin.

As a matter of fact, ROTS actually works well, even as a standalone movie. I could enjoy it if I never saw any Star Wars films. I think it's that good. You really don't have to know the background of the first two that much to enjoy ROTS.

Anyways, let me stop before I go on rambling, LOL.

DenKi
In my point of View Anakin Skywalker Died after he helped killed Mace

Robin Darkside
Anakin wasn't born bad, he turned to the darkside through how he lived as we all know. Being able to know the whole story changes the perspective. I saw return of the jedi first so I never had the perception of a true dark lord as in episode 4. It affected me differently.

Tulak Hord
On the subject of Vader, what would happen if he went into the Cantina in Mos Eisley? Remember, the bartender said "We don't serve droids here."

SithKiller
pure slaughter...grievious slaughter x2

Ominous
Dont be so proud of that technological terror of a suit he walks in, the ability to cyborg a man is .... how did that go?

theflyxx
.....insignificant next to the power of the Force.

Tulak Hord
What's with the sig?

theflyxx
If you really don't know their connection and actually have to ask, then I'm not telling!

Protector
The connection is Vader built C3-PO but I think what Tulak Hord ment was is Vader holding the dead C3-PO to his head. Seeing as how Vader couldn't tell that C3-PO was C3-PO becasue all the robots look the same.

jainasolo55
of course he wouldnt remember 3p0, hes a droid there are so many like him thats also why obi wan didnt remember R2 he was just another droid to him

darthvader_fan
threepio is a di**
R2 is the best

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.