Do Away With World Hunger.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

debbiejo
Much of the world's massive hunger problems could be solved by the reduction or elimination of meat-eating. The reasons: 1) livestock pasture needs cut drastically into land which could otherwise be used to

grow food; 2) vast quantities of food which could feed humans is fed to livestock raised to produce meat.
This year alone, twenty million people worldwide will die as a result of malnutrition. One child dies of malnutrition every 2.3 seconds. One hundred million people could be adequately fed using the land freed if Americans reduced their intake of meat by a mere 10%.

Twenty percent of the corn grown in the U.S. is eaten by people. Eighty percent of the corn and 95% of the oats grown in the U.S. is eaten by livestock. The percentage of protein wasted by cycling grain through livestock is calculated by experts as 90%.

One acre of land can produce 40,000 pounds of potatoes, or 250 pounds of beef. Fifty-six percent of all U.S. farmland is devoted to beef production, and to produce each pound of beef requires 16 pounds of edible grain and soybeans, which could be used to feed the hungry.

Do you agree???

Darth Revan
I'll believe that what you said is true, but I won't believe that if I stop eating meat I'll save thousands of hungry children. The whole world will never be vegetarian.

Tptmanno1
Or if the richest one % gave half a shit about anyone else...
That might help too.

But your ignoric politics, If we gave up eating all meat and grew crops instead would it sove world hunger? No! WE have excess food now and we still don't give it away. What makes you think we'd do it then?

debbiejo
See, world hunger could be done away with...But because many don't care, or because of politics..it won't happen...Who should be point our finger at???

Alpha Centauri
The people spending trillions on weapons would be a start.

-AC

Bardock42
Well....it would of course be a very nice utopia if all people live in peae and no one needs to fear hunger...but with current politics it is not possible...although there would techniacally be the possibility (even without baning meat)

debbiejo
Then, it's all OUR fault..because WE let it happen..

Bardock42
Originally posted by debbiejo
Then, it's all OUR fault..because WE let it happen..

THere is no fault.... we didn't even choose how many people we want ....and whatever since WE don't care (except for some people that think not eating meat will change everythign roll eyes (sarcastic) )

AdventChild
I think there will always be world hunger... No matter what.... there's always going to several thousand people dying of hunger......

debbiejo
I'm not trying to take your burger from you...Just, that that article makes since..There are things that can be done and this is just ONE example, of course.

Bardock42
Well you see maybe we don't nwant to do anything....the US has a surplus of crops that could possibly save a lot of humans but they don't giuve it away......for several reasons....but why do you want to do away with world hunger anyways...whats your reasons?

Originally posted by AdventChild
I think there will always be world hunger... No matter what.... there's always going to several thousand people dying of hunger......

I disagree in some szenarios there could be a possibility of no world hunger

Darth Revan
Oh yeah, it's MY fault that the federal government is ****ed, nevermind the fact that I didn't exist when it started being that way. roll eyes (sarcastic) I am trying, but it's not easy when nobody else is.

System of a Down- Boom

I've been walking through your streets
where all your money is earned
where all your buildings are crying
And clueless neckties working
revolving fake lawn houses
housing all your fears
desensitized by TV
over bearing advertising
God of consumers
and all your crooked creatures looking good
Mirrors filtering information through the public eye
Designed for profit sharing
Your neighbor, what a guy

BOOM
BOOM
BOOM

Everytime your drop the bomb
You kill the God
Your child is born

BOOM
BOOM
BOOM
BOOM

Modern globalization
coupled with condemnations
unnecessary death
matador corporations
puppeting your frustrations with a blinded flag
manufacturing consent is the name of the game
the bottom line is money and nobody gives a f**k
4,000 hungry children leave us per hour from starvation
while billions are spent creating death showers

BOOM
BOOM
BOOM

Everytime your drop the bomb
You kill the God
Your child is born
Why must we kill our own kind

BOOM
BOOM
BOOM

shaber
How did it come to this sad

Bardock42
M'kay...lets go back to discussion...please.....

shaber
I know for a fact that the Kent orchards were deliberately grubbed to no purpose. There's efficiency for you!

Afro Cheese
Sounds convincing to me. I'd give up eating meat to feed more people, but it would have to be everyone giving up meat and not just a couple people choosing to be vegetarian.

But it would definitely take a lot of fun out of eating.

Df02
Much of the world's massive hunger problems could be solved by the reduction or elimination of meat-eating. The reasons: 1) livestock pasture needs cut drastically into land which could otherwise be used to

grow food; 2) vast quantities of food which could feed humans is fed to livestock raised to produce meat.
This year alone, twenty million people worldwide will die as a result of malnutrition. One child dies of malnutrition every 2.3 seconds. One hundred million people could be adequately fed using the land freed if Americans reduced their intake of meat by a mere 10%.

Twenty percent of the corn grown in the U.S. is eaten by people. Eighty percent of the corn and 95% of the oats grown in the U.S. is eaten by livestock. The percentage of protein wasted by cycling grain through livestock is calculated by experts as 90%.

One acre of land can produce 40,000 pounds of potatoes, or 250 pounds of beef. Fifty-six percent of all U.S. farmland is devoted to beef production, and to produce each pound of beef requires 16 pounds of edible grain and soybeans, which could be used to feed the hungry.

Do you agree???

how about we just eat starving children? reduces food expenditure and reduces amount of hungry people - 2 birds, 1 stone

Chiram
The fact that people are hungry is true. The Possibility that anyone could do anything about it is bull. If people would get a work ethic in America they wouldn't be hungry. Now in other countries it's the governments fault. China for example won't except our help, they barely allow any foreigners into their country period.

debbiejo
If people lets say only ate meat only once a day, the cattle farmers would have downsize their meat production. The land wouldn't stay vacant. They would have to find another crop to grow.

Bardock and why would I want to get rid of world hunger??? Why Not!
Maybe I have a god complex...

Darth Revan
Originally posted by Chiram
The fact that people are hungry is true. The Possibility that anyone could do anything about it is bull. If people would get a work ethic in America they wouldn't be hungry. Now in other countries it's the governments fault. China for example won't except our help, they barely allow any foreigners into their country period.

We're not talking about people in America and China, we're talking about the 40,000 some people who die of hunger every day in sub-Saharan Africa and etc.

You tell me that I make no difference... At least I'm ****ing trying, what the **** have YOU done?!

Chiram
Ah. O.K. I give up. Wait maybe that's what's wrong with the world people give up.

debbiejo
Me also..I'm trying to do something....I've cut down on meat to probably twice a week..

Darth Revan
What's wrong with the world is that the richest 2% are so fabulously wealthy that people in the bottom 10% can't even afford to live. The average CEO makes 450 times more than the average blue-collar worker... Compare minimum wage in the US to what people in truly poor countries earn and the disparity between rich and poor becomes so huge it's hard to even grasp. That's what's wrong with the world, not the fact that so few people are vegetarians.

Don't blame me, I'm listening to Rage.

debbiejo
Here are facts showing the dangers of eating meat because of the large amounts of antibiotics fed to livestock to control staphylococci (commonly called staph infections), which are becoming immune to these drugs at an alarming rate.
The animals that are being raised for meat in the United States are diseased. The livestock industry attempts to control this disease by feeding the animals antibiotics. Huge quantities of drugs go for this purpose. Of all antibiotics used in the U.S., 55% are fed to livestock.

But this is only partially effective because the bacteria that cause disease are becoming immune to the antibiotics. The percentage of staphylococci infections resistant to penicillin, for example, has grown from 13% in 1960 to 91% in 1988. These antibiotics and-or the bacteria they are intended to destroy reside in the meat that goes to market.

It is not healthy for humans to consume this meat. The response of the European Economic Community to the routine feeding of antibiotics to U.S. livestock was to ban the importation of U.S. meat. European buyers do not want to expose consumers to this serious health hazard. By comparison, U.S. meat and pharmaceutical industries gave their full and complete support to the routine feeding of antibiotics to livestock, turning a blind eye to the threat of disease to the consumer.

No wonder we are getting sick???? Maybe it's our selfishness that is destroying us...

Chiram
Well it doesn't matter for me anyway. The only time I eat meat is if it's on a hamburger. *Roll*

And aren't y'all scared of trichinosis?!?!?!?! J/K

debbiejo
Mad Cow....In the U.S. there are 13 states that don't have to report it...That's what I've heard....

Chiram
That sounds cool. "Mad cow" big grin

debbiejo
You go from very unhappy cow to Mad Cow...

Bardock42
A truly Mad Cow we got there

debbiejo
laughing out loud See...don't eat beef! It's a conspiracy.

Darth Revan
Here are facts showing the dangers of eating meat because of the large amounts of antibiotics fed to livestock to control staphylococci (commonly called staph infections), which are becoming immune to these drugs at an alarming rate.
The animals that are being raised for meat in the United States are diseased. The livestock industry attempts to control this disease by feeding the animals antibiotics. Huge quantities of drugs go for this purpose. Of all antibiotics used in the U.S., 55% are fed to livestock.

But this is only partially effective because the bacteria that cause disease are becoming immune to the antibiotics. The percentage of staphylococci infections resistant to penicillin, for example, has grown from 13% in 1960 to 91% in 1988. These antibiotics and-or the bacteria they are intended to destroy reside in the meat that goes to market.

It is not healthy for humans to consume this meat. The response of the European Economic Community to the routine feeding of antibiotics to U.S. livestock was to ban the importation of U.S. meat. European buyers do not want to expose consumers to this serious health hazard. By comparison, U.S. meat and pharmaceutical industries gave their full and complete support to the routine feeding of antibiotics to livestock, turning a blind eye to the threat of disease to the consumer.

No wonder we are getting sick???? Maybe it's our selfishness that is destroying us...

It is a bad idea to feed antibiotics to cattle... But I know for a fact that the meat I buy is the hippie kind, organic and antibiotic-free yes

ragesRemorse

The parts of the world plagued by hunger, do not have to worry about livestock pastures, because they have none.

World hunger is not the issue of not having enough food. It is a deeper issue that is always rooted to the countries government. In America, hunger isn't the problem, it is money. When America and england try and feed other countries, they get spat in the face. So screw world hunger, let em starve.

by the way, human beings need meat to function properly. Stop eating meat for two months and dont take any protein supplements, and tell me how you feel.

debbiejo
I did it for 3 years, not eating meat that is, with about 75 percent raw..I felt so great, I didn't have to take thyroid meds. I had been taking them for over 10 years...and I dropped a bunch a weight. And there are proteins such as beans. Beans and salsa....yummm

I don't do that now, eat mostly raw, that is, but should...I felt great, really. But you should take some form of B-12...Cutting meat to only once a day wouldn't hurt anyone.

I do know that much of the problem is that countries governments...so sad.

Chiram
Well world hunger will never go away. So 66,000 people (people on these forums) not eating meat won't make a difference.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.