Are You A Good Christian?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

debbiejo
What Do ya think??? Are you a good Christian?
The Garden of Eden, God's perfect world, was vegetarian (Gen. 1:29-30). Immediately, God calls this ideal and non-exploitative relationship "good" (Gen. 1:31). There follow many years of fallen humanity, when people held slaves, waged war, ate animals and committed various other violent acts. But the prophets tell us that the peaceable kingdom will be nonviolent and vegetarian; even the lion will lie down with the lamb (e.g., Isaiah 11). Jesus is the Prince of Peace, who ushers in this new age of nonviolence. When Christians pray, "Your will be done, on Earth as it is in heaven," the one prayer given to us by Jesus, this obligates us to change our lives, to make choices that are as merciful and loving as possible. There will be no factory farms and slaughterhouses in heaven.

God created every animal with the capacity for pain and suffering. But on today's factory farms, animals are dehorned, debeaked, and castrated without anesthesia. To maximize profits, they are crowded together in the least space possible, and are genetically bred, so that most suffer lameness, crippling leg deformities, or bone breaks, because their legs can't keep up with their scientifically enhanced bodies. Finally, they are trucked without food or water, through all weather extremes, to a frightening and hellish death.

How can we ourselves find peace
When we are the living graves of murdered animals?

George Bernard Shaw

The time will come when men such as I
will look upon the murder of animals as they
Now look upon the murder of human beings.

Leonardo DaVinci

Einstein was a genius
Einstein was a vegetarian
Mere coincidence?
I think not

finti
if we were ment to be vegetarians we would be rabbits not humans

debbiejo
Then why in the garden of eden did god only give them a diet of plants?
No meat until after the flood. And in the new heaven and earth there is no meat to eat mentioned because there is no death...so no killing animals for food...

And some like to play "rabbit"... inlove and make lots of baby rabbits.

periera
Then why in the garden of eden did god only give them a diet of plants?
No meat until after the flood. And in the new heaven and earth there is no meat to eat mentioned because there is no death...so no killing animals for food.

Because the Garden of Eden was in the Bible, which a lot of people consider to carry about the same amount of weight as Grimm's Fairy Tales. I'm sorry, I honestly am not trying to stir anything/one up or cause any hurt feelings or anything, but it's just my opinion. I consider myself to be more Christian than anything else, and even I don't believe in the Bible, mainly because it's equivalent to a long, treacherous game of "telephone". There's no actual proof behind it. But if you want to go by the Bible, I believe (not sure, so please don't attack) that it was written that animals don't even go to heaven, that there's no afterlife for them. So if that's the case, of course there's no meat in heaven unless all its inhabitants are cannibals.

And are we going by true vegetarianism (ie: it's wrong to consume ANY animal) or cop-out vegetarianism (ie: don't eat any animal except for chicken or fish)? Because if you'll remember correctly, Jesus fed (was it 500?) people bread and fish. If God truly intended for it to be a vegetarian world, then Jesus would have been contradicting his Father which I would think would be a huge no-no on his part.

debbiejo
Yes...he multiplied the fish, but it didn't say He ate it himself...And my point is that if you believe in the "Bible" and the Bible alone, should you take it literally?

periera
No, he didn't eat it, but he gave it to other people to eat which would still be against his father's word.

I suppose if you believe in the Bible and the Bible alone, then yes, you would take it literally. At that point what else would there be to take literally?

debbiejo
Originally posted by periera
I suppose if you believe in the Bible and the Bible alone, then yes, you would take it literally. At that point what else would there be to take literally?

Well, I think we'd have to become Jewish... big grin

And After the flood God permitted everyone to eat meat. So Jesus wouldn't be doing anything wrong, but he would know what the perfect diet would be.

periera
lol good point smile

finti
its a biblical story nothing more, the diet of man has included meat and fish from the begining of our evolution and the discovery of fire escelated this

sonnet
Originally posted by debbiejo
What Do ya think??? Are you a good Christian?
The Garden of Eden, God's perfect world, was vegetarian (Gen. 1:29-30). Immediately, God calls this ideal and non-exploitative relationship "good" (Gen. 1:31). There follow many years of fallen humanity, when people held slaves, waged war, ate animals and committed various other violent acts. But the prophets tell us that the peaceable kingdom will be nonviolent and vegetarian; even the lion will lie down with the lamb (e.g., Isaiah 11). Jesus is the Prince of Peace, who ushers in this new age of nonviolence. When Christians pray, "Your will be done, on Earth as it is in heaven," the one prayer given to us by Jesus, this obligates us to change our lives, to make choices that are as merciful and loving as possible. There will be no factory farms and slaughterhouses in heaven.

God created every animal with the capacity for pain and suffering. But on today's factory farms, animals are dehorned, debeaked, and castrated without anesthesia. To maximize profits, they are crowded together in the least space possible, and are genetically bred, so that most suffer lameness, crippling leg deformities, or bone breaks, because their legs can't keep up with their scientifically enhanced bodies. Finally, they are trucked without food or water, through all weather extremes, to a frightening and hellish death.

Jesus is called the Prince of Peace because he will bring peace at the end when Satan is defeated. You need to read the whole of Revelation to understand this. The Bible says that until then, the Word will be like a sword and that there will be division in families because of Jesus and that son will turn against father and so on. This merely proofs what is already happening where families are divided because some believe and some don't.

Fortunately the quality of one Christianity does not rely whether we eat meat or animals, etc but it relies completely on our acceptance of Jesus and of our spiritual growth along the guidelines put down in the Bible.

finti
what if satan wins?

BlackC@t
I am not christian. I am Nogistic, which means I think there could be a God, but not exactly sure there is.

But I definetly believe in the after-life.

finti
ehhh you mean agnostic

sonnet
Originally posted by finti
what if satan wins?

The Bible already tells us that satan loses. He has already lost when Jesus died on the cross. His power over man is to keep man in bondage of sin. Jesus changed that.That is why he is so desperately trying to fool as many people as he can with all the different beliefs out there. The more people he can get to reject Jesus and God for that matter the more people he can take with him into hell.

debbiejo
If there is this "Satan" and this "Hell" he is going to torment us in, then why wasn't taught in the church until 150 A.D?

finti
yeah claiming the victory before the battle is fought is a wise move. If just one soul sides with Satan he(<-aint it great how most religious aspects are males, talk about sexist grounds) wins. Cause according to your belief, god made man and if satan are able to get just one of gods creation to side with him means your god aint perfect at all. god loose

sonnet
If there is this "Satan" and this "Hell" he is going to torment us in, then why wasn't taught in the church until 150 A.D?

The teaching of satan already started with Jesus and then the apostles. Whether the church taught about it or not is not the issue as the church is not the alpha and omega. But the Bible teaches us all that we need to know about this.

sonnet
Originally posted by finti
. Cause according to your belief, god made man and if satan are able to get just one of gods creation to side with him means your god aint perfect at all. god loose

Sorry, but you have it wrong. You assume once again that you know what our beliefs are. We believe what is written in the Bible.

finti
and the bible has written that god created everything and that god is perfect

debbiejo
Originally posted by sonnet
The teaching of satan already started with Jesus and then the apostles. Whether the church taught about it or not is not the issue as the church is not the alpha and omega. But the Bible teaches us all that we need to know about this.

What if "Satan" really means "Tempter", and not a real person?

A tempter of doubt, fear, greed, hate...etc...all that is not love.

finti
hey they needed something to blame for the reason why this gods creation turned the way it did. Since their god cant take the consequence for its creation they made a nemesis for this god so that the blame could be put on something.

debbiejo
I think scripture is more allegorical...And as time went on it was taken more literal. At least much of it. Like Satan, hell, heaven...

Stigmata
The kingdom of God is within you and all around you. It is not within buildings of wood or stone. Split a piece of wood and you will find me. Look beneath a stone and I am there.

finti
guess a game of hide and seek is out of the question then

debbiejo
Kingdom..kingdom...who got the kingdom.....

sonnet
What if "Satan" really means "Tempter", and not a real person?

A tempter of doubt, fear, greed, hate...etc...all that is not love.

The Bible tells us that satan as he is known to us, was an angel called Lucifer. He was the most beautiful angel, could make beautiful music and was God's right hand so to speak, thus very powerful. But he got greedy and turned against God and for stirring up trouble he was banished from heaven. Him and a lot of fallen angels with him. That is the story in short. So yes, that would make him a person or spiritual being.

finti
ohh jealousy the tune of every other mythology around

debbiejo
I think Satan is more of a metaphor. The beauty that we all could be can be ruined by jealousy, greed..etc....

Capt_Fantastic
The Bible already tells us that satan loses. He has already lost when Jesus died on the cross. His power over man is to keep man in bondage of sin. Jesus changed that.That is why he is so desperately trying to fool as many people as he can with all the different beliefs out there. The more people he can get to reject Jesus and God for that matter the more people he can take with him into hell.

But, why is Satan ANY threat to God? God would have to be limited if one of his own fallen angels can totally screw up his plans. Or should we just lump that in with the whole "free will" bit?

Capt_Fantastic
The Bible tells us that satan as he is known to us, was an angel called Lucifer. He was the most beautiful angel, could make beautiful music and was God's right hand so to speak, thus very powerful. But he got greedy and turned against God and for stirring up trouble he was banished from heaven. Him and a lot of fallen angels with him. That is the story in short. So yes, that would make him a person or spiritual being.

Operative word there is "story"

sonnet
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
But, why is Satan ANY threat to God? God would have to be limited if one of his own fallen angels can totally screw up his plans. Or should we just lump that in with the whole "free will" bit?

He is not a threat to God but to man. Man chose to disobey God in Eden because God created us with the ability to choose. We are not puppets and that is why there is a "reward'" or a punishment in the end. If God was limited he would have no resolve for Satan's actions but he did in the form of Jesus.

sonnet
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
Operative word there is "story"

Word games hes never changed the truth.

finti
shouldnt be a problem then,......yet it is

debbiejo
He is not a threat to God but to man. Man chose to disobey God in Eden because God created us with the ability to choose. We are not puppets and that is why there is a "reward'" or a punishment in the end. If God was limited he would have no resolve for Satan's actions but he did in the form of Jesus.

The Garden of Eden can also be a metaphor. Eden is the spiritual world and Eve chose Knowledge, which is to be human. Being cast of of Eden means that being put into physical form working the land of the earth.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.