Question about Darth Vader/Anakin's Death in ROTJ.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Huntlar
Well, when Darth Sidious is using his lightning on Luke for like 20 seconds, Darth Vader picks Darth Sidious up and throws him off that platform thing. It took about 5 seconds to do that, and Darth Vader dies because of it. If he dies, why doesn't Luke?

Anakin Skywalk

yerssot
and his supports probably broke down thanks to the lightning

Darth_Lucifer
yeah if you notice vader may be a powerful dark jedi but he never use force lighting! if he did then it would mess up the mechanics of his suite and thats why he did when zidious gave him a zap!smile

Jayd265
i thought it was because he was basically dead in the suit and when the electricity hit him he died

Red Superfly
His suit was damaged from The Emperors lightening, yes, but nobody knows how long he could have lasted. He could have lasted long enough to get some help.

I mean, the reason why he dies is because Luke takes his mask off.

We don't know how long he would have lasted if he kept it on. We knew he was going to die, but I get the impression Vader could have been saved, but as Anakin said "You already have, Luke". Anakin wanted to die, he let go.

It's more a case of Anakin losing the will to live, he turned back into a Jedi, he lost all his selfishness, he wanted Luke to leave him and save himself. Anakin knew he would probably die anyway, and would have likely refused help even if he was given it.

It's kinda cool how The Emperor kept ANakin a prisoner like that. He's locked up in a suit, not powerful enough to overthrow The Emperor because of his weakness to force lightening. The Emperor really screwed him over and there was nothing he could do, until the point where he goes "F**k it!" and takes himself and the Emperor out.

He knew if he challenegd The Emperor in the suit, he would die, but when he turned good he didn't care if he died anymore.

Mr Parker
I just assumed he died because Darth sidious was using his full lightening powers with his hands on his face to the max where when he was doing it with Luke,he was just toying with him and not going full out like he did with Vader at the end was how I always intrepreted it.

Ushgarak
I agree with Parker- the Emperor was tormenting Luke but trying to kill Vader.

OC2-tin-OC
GL should have cleared up things. Now who was more powerful will never be clear unless he himself says that. Look Sidious was the reason for everything. He is the greatest piece of shit that galaxy has ever seen. the way he manupulated Anakin is really sad. That guy lost everything because of Sidious. In the end he even tried to replace him with his son. But that is the crux point. Why would somebody like Sidious rely on luck to kill Vader. Cause Vader is damn strong and luke is afterall not really trained and not at all experienced ( and that too guessing that he has inherited at least 90%medochlorians from his popa) he is no match for popa. He defeated Vader due to luck only. This is what I believe. Vader is powerful but lacks the drive. His drive is for other people. First Anakin asked his wife whether she would like to be the queen when he is the king she disliked it and died because of it. That guy took it hard. Until luke came around he had no reason to aim to kill Sidious and be the king cause that guy didnt have anybody else to call a friend. He hated Sidious but somewhat felt no need for the empire cause he would loose his purpose in life once he becomes the king. When Luke came he asked him to join forces with him so that he could kill Sidious. Come on in that fight we all know Luke was nowhere a match for popa as ( we saw how obi wan died fighting Vader and Obi wan was one of the best). Vader didnt kill his son on purpose. That guy has love in him .He became a monster to save his wife and kids. But still Vader vs Sidious.. who would win. Lucas (luke-lucas get it??? probably Lucas pet name)) should have screened a face to face war between the two. A Fair fight. Its unfair on him to kill Vader character like that. Vader had enough in him to kill Sidious head on( i Want to think like that) cause vader killed Obi wan (Obi Wan was real good). But the emperor was distracted when Vader picked him and threw him but just think( Sidious is a guy who can kill more than one jedis at a time) he could have escaped any jedis grasp unless the jedi is real strong. And there was no surprise that Vader would attack the emperor He tried to kill him and Vader knew that and so he will kill Sidious or die in trying . So why didnt Lucas screen aa decent fight between Vader and Sidious. After all it woulnt be a 5min duel like what we saw. That should have cleared things. And I believe what somebody said. Its more that Anakin choose to die than he had no other option. He lived his life as a shit and he had to redeem himself. And I still believe Vader was much more powerful than Sidious . What other reason can you give for the Emporer being so afraid of him while Vader himself was cool with his master. Sidious should know who is stronger

brookied
paragraphs

Fishy
We see Vader beating the crap out of Luke when he had a reason to do so, just watch ESB... In ROTJ beating Luke would mean Luke his dead not him being captured so he didn't want to kill him anymore.

And why there isn't a fight between Sidious and Vader? Because apparantly Vader became a lot weaker after his lava bath, not to mention that lightning could be incredibly effective against Vader.

SixOfTwelve
There was nothing medically wrong with Vader.
He had just ... lost the will to live. wink

OC2-tin-OC
And why there isn't a fight between Sidious and Vader? Because apparantly Vader became a lot weaker after his lava bath, not to mention that lightning could be incredibly effective against Vader.

Then how did Vader kill Obi Wan who has learned to fight with the force( Thats how I think he cut Anakin in half other wise no chance baby, Anakin is far too good I thought, until Obi wan sliced him) Obviously Vader is stronger than Anakin.

Thornbane
From the first time I saw this movie, I thought it was pretty clear that it was the lightning that killed Vader. Watch his helmet as he picks up Palp. You can see his skull fom christ's sake.

It was, without a doubt, the lightnight that killed Vader. He surely didn't have much in the way of mechanics (like life support) left after that lightning hit.

You'd think the rebels would just hit him with a little EMP blast or something :P

darkperson
He probobly died because he took off the mask.....
the life support was probobly in it.......

darkperson
Originally posted by OC2-tin-OC

Then how did Vader kill Obi Wan who has learned to fight with the force( Thats how I think he cut Anakin in half other wise no chance baby, Anakin is far too good I thought, until Obi wan sliced him) Obviously Vader is stronger than Anakin.

Obi Wan gave up and became one with the Force.

Thornbane
Originally posted by darkperson
He probobly died because he took off the mask.....
the life support was probobly in it.......

Vader: Help me take this mask off
Luke: But, you'll die
Vader: Nothing...can...stop...that...now....

I agree that taking the mask off outside his chamber on the Executioner would likely cause him death, he was clearly dying prior to taking the mask off.

(* Now is where all the redeemed junkies come in *)

darth.g0vner
vader never used lightning bolts since he didnt have organic hands ,if you can recall the fight with obi over the laba where he had lost all of his limbs.

and as for him dying, perhaps sidious ruined darth's suit with his lightning bolts , but im not that sure , think about it he's moslty robot
and looks headous what kind of a person wants to live and look like that.
I suppose that the standards for a sith lord of being fried and invalid is ok , but he has for becoming a human again that's impossible + everyone hates him cause he abused the glaxy for over 20 years ;r

g0vner

saladim
vader die because he was kept alive by sidios's dark power after the fight with obi-wan. since sidios is no more, there is nothing that can make vader's life to go on. there is way vader said "nothing can do that now" when luke was almost in shuttle.

and his power diminished after that fight with obi... there were no long jumps, no strong-fight like those from youth.

and perhaps he dont use the lightning because he cant use the full dark power, since there was still good in him....

coolmovies
I agree with darth govner he could hardley breath after getting rid of the emprior. Even if he had left the mask on he would die .

John!attheDisco
From what I have read, the Emperor thought Luke must suffer for his unforgivable sin of not taking his father's place. So, he wouldn't have suffered as much if the Emperor had just killed him with a powerful bout of lightning. But, when Vader lifts him over his shoulder, he panics and uses his lightning to the maximum, with deadly implications for Vader's mechanical suit.

killphil
Originally posted by Huntlar
Well, when Darth Sidious is using his lightning on Luke for like 20 seconds, Darth Vader picks Darth Sidious up and throws him off that platform thing. It took about 5 seconds to do that, and Darth Vader dies because of it. If he dies, why doesn't Luke?

Well, I'd think it's because he grabbed the source of the electricity itself(Palpatine) and it was far more concentrated this way. Plus, like other posters comented, it really messed with his cybernetic body. I believe those 2 elements alone finished Vader.

Originally posted by OC2-tin-OC
Then how did Vader kill Obi Wan who has learned to fight with the force?

Obi Wan gave up. He sacrificed himself. Vader never "won" this fight.

spiderboy5
But Vader still would have won if the fight had been any longer....

killphil
That's totally opinion. You might wish that Vader would have won, but you'll never know. Ben was holding his own anyway.

Anakin_the_Hutt
The man was half droid.

killphil
Originally posted by Anakin_the_Hutt
The man was half droid.

Is that a + or - for Vader to you?

Tangible God
Originally posted by killphil
That's totally opinion. You might wish that Vader would have won, but you'll never know. Ben was holding his own anyway. Just 'cause he was holding his own doesn't declare him the winner, or even make it a draw. He was a weak, out-of-training old man.

Vader didn't look to hassled either.

killphil
I guess you saw the movies in a totally different light than me. I really don't think Vader was all that formidable either. It seems he peaked at ep3 and has only gotten weaker since. Lucas' has said pretty much the same thing regarding that fight, I think he mentions it in the commentary, about how both combatants are merely shadows of their former selves and the fight is a strain for both of them.

Tangible God
Vader got weaker, Yoda got weaker, and Obi-Wan got weaker. However, Vader is the only one who actually kept in shape and kept training, Obi-Wan didn't.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.