Who else didn't like his 'final' turn to the dark-side?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BlackC@t
I found him to be to accepting. Palpatine was pretty much like "You killed him. Join the dark-side," and Anakin was like "Well, if you insist..."

He should have fought more, like "No! I shouldn't! I can't!"

I mean, through all his years of training he's been taught to not join the dark-side, then he throws it away in about five seconds.

DeVi| D0do
If you thought there was something that could save your wife from certain death wouldn't you do anything to get it?

I know I would.

The Ones
i would. but why didnt he betray sid after padme died?

Batman316
cause he was too far gone, Padme was lost to him. The only light in his life happens 20 odd years later when he discovers his Son

BlackC@t
It was too quickly though.

I think it would have been better if Anakin was yelling "No! I can't! It's wrong!" and then Palpatine goes "It's the only way to save your wife...and power beyond your wildest dreams..." Then Anakin goes "Alright, I will join you..."

DeVi| D0do
Anakin had a split second to decide wether to side with Palpatine or the Jedi... he chose to cut off Mace's hand.

I do understand what you mean though... but I think it was fine.

Darth_Duffy
Basically after he attacked mace, he had made his bed and there was no going back for him

Otaku_Sith
It was a stupid reason though he should have realised Palpy was lying.(In some sort of way)

Jedi Priestess
Originally posted by BlackC@t
It was too quickly though.

I think it would have been better if Anakin was yelling "No! I can't! It's wrong!" and then Palpatine goes "It's the only way to save your wife...and power beyond your wildest dreams..." Then Anakin goes "Alright, I will join you..."

How many threads......oh nevermind.

It's all covered in the book, and in the book he doesnt make the turn that quick, which is one of the movies failings.

Otaku_Sith

Jedi Priestess
Well then dont sit here and ask questions that arent answered by the movie. DUH roll eyes (sarcastic)

LandoSpeeder2
I thought this scene was pretty much perfect. It played pretty much exactly what happened in ROTJ. In ROTS, Anakin is watching basically Palps (Sids) getting destroyed by lightning and makes the quick decision to cut off Mace's arm, then Palpy throws him out the window. when Darth Vader is looking at Luke being electrified, he makes yet again the quick decision to kill Sids and throw him down the whatever. he is pretty much turned to the good side as fast as he was turned to the dark side.

OB1-adobe
Originally posted by Darth_Duffy
Basically after he attacked mace, he had made his bed and there was no going back for him

Yeah pretty much.

Padme was all he had left, and he couldn't lose her

"Attachment is forbidden"

Obi-wan2005
and he has been turning since episode 2........his fear of her death turned him easly

Smegulated
i also got the impression that sidious was using a form of mind trick on anikin, through out the movie he's trying to get anikin in to the wright frame of mind so he can contol him.

mtryder
No. There is no Jedi Mind Trick involved. That would entirely cheapen it, and destroy Anakin's character. Anakin was manipulated in his perceptions, but the decision was ultimately his own.

vader519
The scene was great and I loved it. Smegulated, I said the exact smae thin in the why does Palaptine voice change thread.

gambit420
It was dumb how palpatine says he has the secret to eternal life. Then when Anakin turned he's like "ok I really dont know, but maybe we can discover it together". Anakin should have killed him right there!

Fishy

JediMasterRetro
Originally posted by LandoSpeeder2
I thought this scene was pretty much perfect. It played pretty much exactly what happened in ROTJ. In ROTS, Anakin is watching basically Palps (Sids) getting destroyed by lightning and makes the quick decision to cut off Mace's arm, then Palpy throws him out the window. when Darth Vader is looking at Luke being electrified, he makes yet again the quick decision to kill Sids and throw him down the whatever. he is pretty much turned to the good side as fast as he was turned to the dark side.

What you say is veiw I have taken each prequel actually the similar story to the orginal in that the first one is the discovery ofa hope the second one is a war and the hope being trained and having to make desions and the third one is the changing of power

The Ones
except in the prequels the hope made the wrong choices, in the originals he made the right choices

Bardock42
Originally posted by The Ones
i would. but why didnt he betray sid after padme died?

Because his will was broken ...he was not only palps apprentice (he was like his child) like in the game I belive he would have if it wasn't for him losing to Obi Wan

Phyzzx
I mentioned this in another thread, but the seduction of Anakin to the dark side played a larger, and more sinister role in the book. Now, I know that books are often better than the movies, but they should have left the seduction intact.

Palpatine offers Anakin everything, including his (Palpatine's) own life to end the war and bring peace to the Galaxy. At one point, Palpatine asks Anakin to point to anything outside the Chancellor's office window, and it would be his. Anakin points at a high-end speeder, Palps says it's his. Anakin points at a privately owned apartment building, palps says it's his. Anakin then points to a star rising over the Jedi Temple, which happens to be Corellia, and Palps asks him if he wants the planet or the entire system. Anakin originally thought Palps was joking with him, but he then realizes that Palp's isn't kidding at all.

I really wish they would have kept the seduction as it was meant to be! I highly recommend that everyone pick up the book and read it, as there is a great deal more there than what was in the movie.

astrofan428
Originally posted by Phyzzx
Palpatine offers Anakin everything, including his (Palpatine's) own life to end the war and bring peace to the Galaxy. At one point, Palpatine asks Anakin to point to anything outside the Chancellor's office window, and it would be his. Anakin points at a high-end speeder, Palps says it's his. Anakin points at a privately owned apartment building, palps says it's his. Anakin then points to a star rising over the Jedi Temple, which happens to be Corellia, and Palps asks him if he wants the planet or the entire system. Anakin originally thought Palps was joking with him, but he then realizes that Palp's isn't kidding at all.

That part was ****ing fantastic, I kept thinking "damn the darkside is cool" cool

Fishy

New_Born_Pyro
Originally posted by Phyzzx
I mentioned this in another thread, but the seduction of Anakin to the dark side played a larger, and more sinister role in the book. Now, I know that books are often better than the movies, but they should have left the seduction intact.

I really wish they would have kept the seduction as it was meant to be! I highly recommend that everyone pick up the book and read it, as there is a great deal more there than what was in the movie.

lol. I just finished reading that chapter! stick out tongue

Otaku_Sith
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
Well then dont sit here and ask questions that arent answered by the movie. DUH roll eyes (sarcastic)
Ehhh... i never asked a question.

Joseph_Kerr
And don't forget, during the other books, Anakin has been tapping into the dark side as an advantage in his fights. He has been using the dark side for at least a year or longer. Sidious recognizes that a Jedi is using the dark side and realizes that it was Anakin.

mulletron
The main difference to Anakin between the two sides of the force was the perception of good and evil. Palpatine twisted that perception on Anakin and made him look at the dark side differently and made him believe the Jedis were more evil than the Sith.

The defining statement that made Anakin see this was when he talked to Yoda and Palpatine about his premonition. Yoda simply told Anakin that he had to let go and let the person close to him transcend into death. Palpatine identified the person as Padme and struck a nerve with Anakin by saying that without him he would lose his wife. Anakin felt that Palpatine was more sincere because he told him what he wanted to hear. He gave him a way to prevent the disaster and Anakin made the choice that his wife's existence was more important than his own. Palpatine obviously persuaded him to turn, but by using the name of his wife and her ultimate death, he was able to reach Anakin more than Yoda. Even when Anakin knew Palpatine was the Sith Lord, he reconsidered his allegiance and felt that he had been backing the wrong side all along. If they could not help his cause, then he went with the only logical choice to ensure his happiness.

Red Superfly
I loved the turn. You could really see the corruption and how it is so easy to be seduced. It feeds off good intentions, but it will consume you and your selfishness will overide every other desire, it was simply great how it went through Anakins various stages of corruption, and it was like a huge snowball effect, where he lost his will and kept burying himself deeper and deeper. The phrase "once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny" really is illustrated in this movie.

Anakin can't stop himself, it's like a train wreck, and even though I love Darth Vader, I kept saying to myself "please don't do it". I got really into it, and when he became the soul-less mechanical Darth Vader, I felt gutted. I knew it was going to happen, but when it happened I was like "I really wish that never happened". It tapped into the good nature I never knew I had. It really did work and blew me away.

JediMasterRetro
Yes its all Padmes thought. LoL Palpltine knew about Anakins true feelings

sexyking
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
If you thought there was something that could save your wife from certain death wouldn't you do anything to get it?

I know I would.

i personally was extremly shocked by the sudden change in Anakin i think george Lucas rushed the film and he had to if he wanted to give the fans all that action they have been craving for years now. I think if he started with epi1 instead of epi4 then the star wars film in general would have been longer but i have to say it was shocking the suden change.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.