Does The Bible Contradict It's self?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

debbiejo
Contradictions could be a sign that the scripture was edited and tampered with...How else can you explain?

Matt. 5:22 Whosoever shall say Thou fool, shall be in danger of hellfire.
Matt. 23:17 (Jesus said) Ye fools and blind.

Has anyone seen God?
John 1:18 No man hath seen God at anytime. (Ex 33:20; Tim. 6:16; John 6:46; I John 4:12)
Gen. 32:30 For I have seen god face to face. (Ex. 33:11, 23; Is. 6:1; Job 42:5)

Should we kill?
Ex. 20:13 Thou shalt not commit murder.
Ex. 32:27 Thus saith the Lord God of Israel, put every man his sword by his side...and slay every man his brother...companion..neighbor.(See also 1 Sam. 6:19; 15:2,3; Num. 15:36)

Ex 20:5 "...for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God..." (see also Ex 34:14, Deut 4:24, Josh 24:19, and Nah 1:2)
Gal 5:19-20 "Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are...jealousy..." (See also 2 Cor 12:20)

Should we tell lies?
Ex. 20:16 Thou shalt not bear false witness.(Prov. 12:22; Rev. 21:8)
1 Kings 22:23 The Lord hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these thy prophets, and the Lord hath spoken evil concerning thee. (II Thess. 2:11; Josh. 2:4-6 with James 2:25)

Should we steal?
Ex. 20:15 Thou shalt not steal. (Lev. 19:13)
Ex. 3:22. And ye shall spoil the Egyptians. (Ex. 12:35-36; Luke 19:29-33)

Shall we keep the Sabbath?
Ex. 20:8 Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy. (Ex. 31:15; Num. 15:32,36)
Is. 1:13 The new moons and the Sabbaths, the calling of assemblies, I cannot away with; it is iniquity. (John 5:16; Matt. 12:1-5)

Shall we make Graven images?
Ex. 20:4. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven...earth...water. (Lev. 26:1)
EX. 25:18 And thou shalt make two cherubims of gold, of beaten work shalt thou make them.

Are we "saved" through works?
Eph. 2:8,9 For by grace are ye saved through faith...not of works. (Rom. 3:20, 28; Gal. 2:16)
James 2:24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.(Matt. 19:16-21)

Should good works be seen?
Matt. 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works. (I Peter 2:12)
Matt. 6:1-4 Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them...that thine alms may be in secret. (Matt. 23:5)

Should we own slaves?
Lev. 25:45-46 Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy...and they shall be your posession...they shall be your bondmen forever. (Gen. 9:25; Ex. 21:2,7; Joel 3:8; Luke 12:47; Col. 3:22)
Is. 58:6 Undo the heavy burdens...break every yoke. (Matt. 23:10)

Does God change his mind?
Mal. 3:6. For I am the Lord; I change not. Num. 23:19 God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent. (Ezek. 24:14; James 1:17)
Ex. 32:14. And the Lord repented of the evil which he had thought to do unto his people. (Gen. 6:6; Jonah 3:10; Sam. 2:30-31; II Kings 20:1-6; Num. 16:20-35)

Are we punished for our parent's sins?
Ex. 20:5 For I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generations. (Ex. 34:7)
Ezek. 18:20 The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father.

Is God good or evil?
Psa. 145:9. The Lord is good to all. (Deut. 32:4; James 1:13)
Is. 45:7 I make peace and create evil. I the Lord do all these things. (Lam 3:38; Jer. 18:11; Ezek. 20:25)

Is God Peaceable?
John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you. (Luke 2:14; Acts 10:36)
Matt. 10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth, I came not to send peace, but a sword. (Matt. 10:35-37; Luke 22:36)

Was Jesus trustworthy?
John 8:14 Though I bear record of myself, yet my record is true.
John 5:31 If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true.

mr.smiley
the bible does contradict itself.
Anyone who says different is,of course a very straight foward christian

yerssot
I believe annotatedbible had a complete list of contradictions...

Lazerlike42
The Bible does NOT contradict itself. Every "contradiction" that can be pointed out is based on a mistake, a confusing translation, taking a verse out of context (if you want to understand the bible, read the lines in between the ones you have underlined), out of a misunderstanding of the culture of Biblical times, or on someone who is grasping for straws looking for contradictions. A few examples from the first post, with the type of mistake noted.

CONTEXT
Matt. 5:22 Whosoever shall say Thou fool, shall be in danger of hellfire.
Matt. 23:17 (Jesus said) Ye fools and blind.

Read Matt. 5:22 in context: "But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire."

Here Jesus speaks about saying things out of anger (and even adds without cause but we can even ignore that, as some ancient manuscripts do not include these words). Further, He is talking about speaking to one's brother (fellow believer in Christ), for what that is worth. Basically, Jesus was talking about throwing insults around at people, not the literal use of the word fool. When He is talking to the Pharisees in 23:17, He is just saying what He sees as the truth, He is not using a derogotory term.

TRANSLATION
John 8:14 Though I bear record of myself, yet my record is true.
John 5:31 If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true.

This is pretty easily cleared up. It gets into the actual original Greek. The ancient Greek language has many intricacies and tenses and relationships between verbs and subjects and adjectives and plurality and whatnot that Enlgish does not, so it's difficult to translate things in a way that matches the original meaning. Also, this translation is the 1611 KJV, and the English used in it is VERY different from what we would say today. In fact, many "contradictions" arise because of words that actually changed in meaning from then to now.

In John 5:31, Jesus is basically saying that if He tries to testify about Himself, nobody will believe Him. If I go to court and say I didn't do it, nobody will believe me because I am just trying to defend myself. It takes someone else to back me up. In John 8:14, he is saying that even though he is talking about himself, what he has to say is true. Pretty simple.

GRASPING FOR STRAWS/TRANSLATION
Ex. 20:13 Thou shalt not commit murder.
Ex. 32:27 Thus saith the Lord God of Israel, put every man his sword by his side...and slay every man his brother...companion..neighbor.(See also 1 Sam. 6:19; 15:2,3; Num. 15:36)

This one is a little complicated only because it involves very old Hebrew, and it is always difficult to ascertain definitive meanings for such ancient Hebrew words.

If we take the English of Exodus 20:5, we can see how it's grasping for straws. Does it say don't kill? No. Does it say don't kill under any circumstances? No. It says don't murder. The other statement is basically refering to the institution of the death penalty. The people being slain are being punished. Would we say that a state executioner is murdering a man who has been sentenced to death? We may disagree with the death penalty, but the man is not commiting murder. Neither is a man commiting murder when he kills in the course of a war. This is grasping for straws.

The difficulty of translation comes in that some people argue that we do not know what the Hebrew word here means, and it may mean kill. The he word for murder here is ratsach. It is not clear what this word means exactly. However, it is used in the Bible very infrequently. The few times it is used, the context involves killing in a murderous way. In Job 24:14 for instance it is used in comparing someone to a thief. In Judges 20:4 it refers to a woman murdered by a gang of men involved in what we'd call a home invasion today. The other examples are similar. It is very reasonable therefore to conclude that the word refers not to all killing, but to killing in a murderous way.

MISUNDERSTANDING CULTURE
Ex. 20:4. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven...earth...water. (Lev. 26:1)
EX. 25:18 And thou shalt make two cherubims of gold, of beaten work shalt thou make them.

The command to not make graven images is there because of a very specific reason: graven images were used for pagan worship. Pagan gods such as Molech were always worshipped through a statue or image of some kind. The command refers to images being made for worship as false gods. To take it in the way it is being presented as a contradiction, it would be a sin to whittle a carving of a squirrel or something. God isn't concerned with art or decoration, but false gods.

Furthermore, in ancient cultures, an image, as it is described here, referred to something which was the focus of a deity. It means something where the deity "resides," such as in a statue of Molech or something. The cheribum would not constitute such an image. It was made for decoration, not worship. For this reason, most translations do not translate the words as "graven image," but as "idols," or "false gods."

That is just a sample, and I am going to quit because I am getting tired. The truth is that the Bible was written 2000 years ago, in a completely different time. It has to be studied just like any other ancient works. We must spend a lot of time reading and re-reading Shakespere to understand it, and yet the Bible is expected to come across like a children's book. There is not a single supposed "contradiction" in the Bible that holds up upon research and often times simply reading the entire verse instead of just the part that is quoted.

In fact, did you know that the New Testament is regarded as the most accurate historical document of ancient times, and is used as a source to determine many of the things students learn about in history class in school?

The Bible as a whole was written by dozens of people over thousands of years. Despite this, not ONCE in it's entirety does it contradict itself on the smallest matter of its teachings. It would be INCREDIBLY easy, and all it would take would be for one person to make a tiny mistake somewhere along the line. This is incredible and vouches greatly for the entire truth of it's teachings!

mr.smiley
yeah right.

that's why mary had a ten year pregnancy when the new testiment contradicts itself.

Lazerlike42
Originally posted by mr.smiley
yeah right.

that's why mary had a ten year pregnancy when the new testiment contradicts itself.

This no doubt refers to the "problem" of the census in Luke. I direct you here.

finti
problem is that whenever a problem with the bible pops up it is always the translation of it that went wrong..........

Gryn Jabar
..because most of the time, if not all the time, it is.

Lazerlike42
Originally posted by finti
problem is that whenever a problem with the bible pops up it is always the translation of it that went wrong..........

The ONLY way to read the Bible is to study it in the original language. In fact, the only way to really read anything written in a foreign language is to read it in the original language. There are too many problems with translations.

The translators of the KJV in 1611 essentially had to reconstruct the ancient Greek language, because it had not been mostly forgotten for 1000 years as the Catholic church refused to allow any versions other than Latin. They not only made many mistakes in translating that modern scholars have and are correcting, but they also used an English which is very, very different from what we use todaty, and not only in that the grammar is more complicated.

In 1611, for instance:
"allege" meant what we mean today when we say "prove"
"conversation" meant "behavior" (!!)
"by and by" meant "immediately" (exactly the opposite of what it means now)

There are many examples. All those quotes in that post are from the KJV. Modern translations often correct those mistakes, such as that of saying "image" when it means "idol."

Actually, as many translational errors as there are, most "problems" in the Bible come from other reasons.... probably the biggest is just not reading the full passage. People LOVE to take little snippets and pair them to make contradictions.

I am just making these up, but to take the sentence, "Jesus likes fish," and the sentence "Jesus did not like fish that was overcooked," drop the "that was overcooked," and say it is a contradiction is a very popular thing to do.

finti
no it is just the excuse made when they cant answer the question, it is just like the "god works in mysterious ways" kind of answer.
They wouldnt admit flaws in the bible even if it took a chunk of their ass

debbiejo
Well...as far as Jesus eating fish...The Bible never says he ate any when He multiplied it...

Just thought I'd throw that in..He probably didn't like it..Probably a vegetarian...an Essene.

finti
dont blame him for not eating fish and if Pamala Anderson was there they would have got milk too

debbiejo
laughing out loud

and cookies.

Evanescence
i think the bible probably does contradict itself alot.

mr.smiley
Originally posted by Lazerlike42
This no doubt refers to the "problem" of the census in Luke. I direct you here.

All rabble.

mr.smiley
The whole catching of the fish story comes from the Pythagorians.
The equation of the fish.

Lazerlike42
All rabble.

I would take this to mean that you have not even read it.

finti
why? dont people who have read it have a right to call it rabble?

Lazerlike42
why? dont people who have read it have a right to call it rabble?

I was actually refering to the conotation that the statement expressed.

However, I will say this: someone who reads that (or anything) has every right to call it rabble, provided that he or she can provide as much scholarly research and documentation as the "rabble." I could call Einstein's Theory of Relativity (the book) rabble, but my statement would hold no weight unless I could provide research of the same caliber or greater than the book to the contrary.

In other words, the link cites countless scholars, historians, documents, and facts. If all that one can respond to that with is "it's all rabble," then the opinion is invalid. (and yes, opinions CAN be valid or invalid. The type of opinion of "I like Coke" and "I like Pepsi" can't be, because it's STRICTLY a matter of opinion, or rather preference. Any opinion that concerns matters of fact can be valid or invalid because it's not ONLY a matter of preference but also a matter of evidence.)

finti
just like it has to be provided reasearh and documentation about that it aint rabble. It is just as manyhistorians, reasearchers and scholars that consider it rabble so what it would all boil down to is bunches of links to scholars, historians researchers, banging heads.

Lazerlike42
He has no right to call it rabble unless he wishes to cite some of these researchers, historians and shcolars. In fact, the info on that site is in response to all the scholars who want to say that the census did not occur. Therefore, they have no right to call it rabble either, until they are able to disprove the facts presented there.

It is a very, very prominent website in the field of Christian apologetics. All the scholars that would disagree with these points of Christianity and that do research in these fields all know about that site, and they are constantly trying to refute what it says. It's not some isolated bunch of statements that are not open to criticism. These scholars have not been able to disprove what it says, and frankly until someone does, then it is their point of view that is "rabble."

finti
it all ends up the same though, using scholars words to argue other scholars words, it leads to nowhere

finti
actually he does, all he has to do is belive it to be rabble

Lazerlike42
actually he does, all he has to do is belive it to be rabble
He has the right, yes, and he can believe that if he wants, but it's the same as if I were to believe that Newton's Philosophiae Naturalis Principia Mathematica is rabble without my providing evidence to the contrary.

I can believe that whales fly, but nobody is going to believe me until I take them out to the Atlantic and show them.

finti
some whales almost fly in Sea World big grin .

Point is that to say and believe biblical scripture is rabble is more plausible than Newtons work. Unlike the biblical records at least Isaacs work, to a certain degree, can be visible proven

Lazerlike42
some whales almost fly in Sea World big grin .

Point is that to say and believe biblical scripture is rabble is more plausible than Newtons work. Unlike the biblical records at least Isaacs work, to a certain degree, can be visible proven
That's true smile

Just remember that we can prove a lot about ancient documents of all kinds through study. I've read a lot about it; some of the things they can do completely amaze me.

Something I just remembered, which I could be mistaken about (I am not sure on it but I am 90% I am correct) is that we are more sure about the gospels then we are about who wrote Shakespere's plays.

finti
they like to say so but even they who do really dont believe it to be a fact so......................

Lazerlike42
Yes they do lol.... it's easy to say that because SOME (not all by any means) of the measures they use in this matter are statistical. One example would be the accuracy of the manuscripts. You take all the ancient (or in Shakespere's case, really old) manuscripts availible of a writing and compare them to see how many differences they have from one another. Statistically, the NT would win in that category, of course their are many more important categories, that's just an easy on to explain.

debbiejo
Yes looking at some manuscripts can help as in the case of Josephus. I did look at his writings and it is impossible to come back and say that that one paragraph that mentions Jesus was not inserted at a later date. It breaks the flow of what he was previously conveying and then after the insertion, which was small by the way, goes back to his previous discussion. So, as a well known historian, Josephus didn't mention Jesus at all.

Lazerlike42
Objection: The passage is out of context. Josephus is discussing Jewish troubles, and the Testimonium is out of place. Without it the text of Josephus runs on in proper sequence.

This is a favorite objection, but it comes from people who obviously have not read very much of Josephus! As Thackery opined, Josephus was a "patchwork writer," one guilty of "inveterate sloppiness." I can agree: As one with a background in language and literature, were I to give Josephus a grade for composition, it would be something around the level of a C-minus!

Even so, the "out of context" charge carries very little weight. An exposition by Mason will be helpful here. This is the outline of events under Pilate as given by Josephus :

18.35 Pilate arrives in Judea.
18.55-9 Pilate introduces imperial images in the Temple, causing a ruckus.
18.60-2 Pilate expropriates Temple funds to build an aqueduct.
18.63-4 The Testimonium appears.
18.65-80 An event set in Rome, not involving Pilate directly, having to do with the seduction of a follower of Isis in Rome.
18.81-4 An account of four Jewish scoundrels; also not directly involving Pilate.
18.85-7 An incident involving Pilate and some Samaritans.
18.88-9 Pilate gets the imperial boot.
As can be seen, this is by no means a set of connected events. Pilate has a role in all of them; but it is not even certain that Josephus is giving these events in chronological order.

Wells responds to the words of Thackery by noting that Josephus often uses phrases that indicate that he is aware that he is digressing:

"When a writer digresses, and confesses to doing so, this does not make him a 'patchwork' writer from whom we must expect any kind of irrelevancy."
Wells is simply missing the point here. Confessions of digression indicate a "patchwork" writer who is conscious of his flaws in this regard. Nor may it be appropriately said that the reference to Jesus is "any kind of irrelevancy." If it was a significant event in the reign of Pilate, even in retrospect as it would be in this case, then it is quite relevant.

Josephus

Adam_PoE
The following is the order of creation according to Genesis 1, the Priestly tradition:

Day 1: sky; earth; light

Day 2: water

Day 3: plant life

Day 4: sun; moon; stars

Day 5: animal life

Day 6: Adam and Eve

Day 7: nothing

The following is the order of creation according to Genesis 2, the Yahwist tradition:

earth; heavens

Adam

plant life

animal life

Eve

In Genesis 1, creation is orderly; God creates step-by-step. In Genesis 2, however, creation is not orderly; God modifies things as He goes, e.g. man is not satisfied with animals so God creates woman.

Furthermore, in Genesis 1, after each step of creation God is satisfied and says, "It is good." In Genesis 2, however, God goes back and makes changes to the things He created previously.

Lazerlike42
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
The following is the order of creation according to Genesis 1, the Priestly tradition:

The following is the order of creation according to Genesis 2, the Yahwist tradition:

earth; heavens

Adam

plant life

animal life

Eve

In Genesis 1, creation is orderly; God creates step-by-step. In Genesis 2, however, creation is not orderly; God modifies things as He goes, e.g. man is not satisfied with animals so God creates woman.

Furthermore, in Genesis 1, after each step of creation God is satisfied and says, "It is good." In Genesis 2, however, God goes back and makes changes to the things He created previously.

That's an easy one wink. One of the most commonly made errors.

Instead of just giving you something simple, here's the thorough answer

debbiejo
Originally posted by Adam_PoE

earth; heavens

Adam

plant life

animal life

Eve

Look you were made on the 2nd day.

Also, why then was Irenias copy of Josephus work without that insertion?
It was and earlier copy....I think it was Irenias...Maybe it was Oregin. (sp?)

mr.smiley
I never thought the word "rabble would stir so much trouble.I read the article and found it interesting.The only problem was,it was set as if this was a possibility without too much factual evidence.

mr.smiley
The ONLY way to read the Bible is to study it in the original language. In fact, the only way to really read anything written in a foreign language is to read it in the original language. There are too many problems with translations.

The translators of the KJV in 1611 essentially had to reconstruct the ancient Greek language, because it had not been mostly forgotten for 1000 years as the Catholic church refused to allow any versions other than Latin. They not only made many mistakes in translating that modern scholars have and are correcting, but they also used an English which is very, very different from what we use todaty, and not only in that the grammar is more complicated.

In 1611, for instance:
"allege" meant what we mean today when we say "prove"
"conversation" meant "behavior" (!!)
"by and by" meant "immediately" (exactly the opposite of what it means now)

There are many examples. All those quotes in that post are from the KJV. Modern translations often correct those mistakes, such as that of saying "image" when it means "idol."

Actually, as many translational errors as there are, most "problems" in the Bible come from other reasons.... probably the biggest is just not reading the full passage. People LOVE to take little snippets and pair them to make contradictions.

I am just making these up, but to take the sentence, "Jesus likes fish," and the sentence "Jesus did not like fish that was overcooked," drop the "that was overcooked," and say it is a contradiction is a very popular thing to do.

I agree with you to an extent.The only problem was,it's not just modern day scholars who found inconsitincies in the Bible,but even Pagan philosophers like Celsus or even valintinus found things in the Bible that just didn't add up.

mr.smiley
Originally posted by debbiejo
Yes looking at some manuscripts can help as in the case of Josephus. I did look at his writings and it is impossible to come back and say that that one paragraph that mentions Jesus was not inserted at a later date. It breaks the flow of what he was previously conveying and then after the insertion, which was small by the way, goes back to his previous discussion. So, as a well known historian, Josephus didn't mention Jesus at all.

In Pauls writings,(not the ones that the churched admitted where forged but the actual writings) he never mentions a historical Jesus.He says he met a figure of light.
The most convincing thing Paul says is "if Jesus would have been on Earth,he would have been a" (I can't remeber what the actual word was so i'll haft to look it up,but it was along the lines of Rabbi or Priest).

He never says,when Jesus was on earth.
He then goes on later to say the secret is Christ is within you

mr.smiley
He has no right to call it rabble unless he wishes to cite some of these researchers, historians and shcolars. In fact, the info on that site is in response to all the scholars who want to say that the census did not occur. Therefore, they have no right to call it rabble either, until they are able to disprove the facts presented there.

It is a very, very prominent website in the field of Christian apologetics. All the scholars that would disagree with these points of Christianity and that do research in these fields all know about that site, and they are constantly trying to refute what it says. It's not some isolated bunch of statements that are not open to criticism. These scholars have not been able to disprove what it says, and frankly until someone does, then it is their point of view that is "rabble."

The only problem is,most these websites,books,etc are very biased.I didn't mean to offend you,I ment it realy as a joke.

finti
ok, did the centurion ask jesus directly(Matt 8:5-9) to help his servant or did he send others(Luke 7:1-7) to ask for him.......which is it?

mr.smiley
depend on which version you belive.Most hardcore Christians give the middle man reply,which tries to equal out between the two,but it never makes sense.

finti
which version you belive?, should you differ between which of the gospel that is right? I can write books like that , just add an alternative so people can believe whatever they like.
" he flew down to them from the top of the hill" Finti 1:2-2
"He fell down from the hill" Phintius 2:1-2

mr.smiley
Look at the text and find out which one makes more sense within it's own book or which one you belive makes more sense.Everyone will have their own opion though.

AdventChild
a simple answer would be yea it contradicts it's self....

finti
actually the example I used aint about whats makes most sense it is about which should be consider correct, it is a big difference between which makes most sense and which is correct

mr.smiley
I understand,but different people will give different responses on why either one is correct.I'm honestly not sure if either one is truly correct.

finti
that`s a totally different ballgame than what you posted earlier

debbiejo
I was always taught the version that the centurion had such faith and that he was a gentile. So I guess it was combined.

finti
combined? that he met jesus personaly with his plea and that he didnt meet jesus personally but sent other to plea?

debbiejo
Yea..kinda like split personality...

In church both are taught and not questioned...isn't that funny...no one questioned...Though the focus was always on his faith and believing.

finti
thats what I would call to look away from a problem, of course when faith is involved faith and believe should have some focus, but reality to the situation needs to be focused as well.
Cant have "well he had faith and believe so sod off with how or when and howcome who cares for details....................AMEN" angel angel_not

debbiejo
I think Jesus in that story was trying to say that if you had enough faith you could heal or move mountains....(faith of a mustard seed)..I believe anyone can heal others....BUT...that's not what my church teaches... no

I believe that God gives us the power to live in our own hell, or heaven (the kingdom of god is within you.) and do all the things that he did...

Shhhhh It's a secret the church doesn't want you to know...

AMEN AND AMEN AND HALLELUJAH....

A creator made little creators...So, we're allowed to create. We are made in the image of God. Like I keep saying Gnostic's or at least the Essenes, metaphysics, and Science (Quantum)...are in agreement.

gp christ loves
you are blind if you don't see that everything agreas its not that difficult the lord god doesn't contradict himself the bible doesn't contradict itself

finti
is that your explanation to this matter? a bunch of swada nonsense.

Well gp christlove tell me why Matt and Luke differ in the prtraying of this event

Adam_PoE
That's an easy one wink. One of the most commonly made errors.

Instead of just giving you something simple, here's the thorough answer

The information you provided does not explain the inconsistency between the Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 version of the creation of Adam and Eve. According to Genesis 1, Adam and Eve are created together on the last day of creation. According to Genesis 2, Adam is created on the first day of creation and Eve on the last. Not to mention that in Genesis 1, Adam and Eve are created separately and in Genesis 2, Eve is made from the rib of Adam.

AdventChild
Originally posted by gp christ loves
you are blind if you don't see that everything agreas its not that difficult the lord god doesn't contradict himself the bible doesn't contradict itself
NO I am not blind... the Bible CLEARLY! contradicts it's self........Thou must not kill....it's ok to kill if u need to...Thou must not lie...it's ok to lie if you need to....Thou must not steal....it's ok to steal if you need to.... ALL CONTRADICTIONS!!! You must be blind if you can't see these facts and truths......

All are sins and yet you can still commit them under certain circumstances...(it's still a contradiction non the less)..... That's like saying yea "I murdered him only cuz he was trying to kill me" without any evidence of what i said....if i fail to file a restraining order, they can't really take my word....as if i did file a restraining order then it would be ok i guess......It's a contradiction...an ok contradiction though...

You see wheater you want to except it or not...The bible has many contradictions.....

gp christ loves
the differece in the stories is because they weren't both there for everything that happened
it doesn't say that we can do things if we need to there are still consaquenses if you read the bible fully and don't take things out of context you will see that there aren't any contradictions

debbiejo
Did you look at the first page? There are contradictions listed...

finti
they werent there at none of the events described

I gave you an example of a contradiction and you even admited to it as well

mr.smiley
the differece in the stories is because they weren't both there for everything that happened
it doesn't say that we can do things if we need to there are still consaquenses if you read the bible fully and don't take things out of context you will see that there aren't any contradictions

Read the Nag Hammadi text.Then you'll realize where some of these contradictions came from

mr.smiley
that`s a totally different ball than what you posted earlier

I'm dumb!I got the question mixed up!

debbiejo
I'm dumb!I got the question mixed up!

Law of attraction.......Don't ever call you self dumb....

Call yourself mildly out of sync... laughing out loud

mr.smiley
okay.I'll do that

AdventChild
you will see that there aren't any contradictions

I've read the bible 3 times.... I used to be a strong christian...I used to be religious....but once you get ur head out of your ass(mr. smiley quote) you will relize that all that doesn't really matter at the end...either ur a slave to some god or suffer and die to some satan...either or you lose... i personally prefer to suffer and die than to serve and to slave in religious terms....There's no point worshipping an idea...

debbiejo
don't worry, be happy.

mr.smiley
Originally posted by AdventChild
I've read the bible 3 times.... I used to be a strong christian...I used to be religious....but once you get ur head out of your ass(mr. smiley quote) you will relize that all that doesn't really matter at the end...either ur a slave to some god or suffer and die to some satan...either or you lose... i personally prefer to suffer and die than to serve and to slave in religious terms....There's no point worshipping an idea...

LOL laughing

Do you think I could get a patent on that like Paris Hilton did with "that's hot"?

I hope so...........

AdventChild
oh definetly i'm going to use it all the time! giving you credit of coarse!

debbiejo
Believe me there is a God, You've not been told the truth about it.

Rejoice, No hell, only love and connection with all there is. There's no mistakes..You get there.

AdventChild
Believe me there is a God, You've not been told the truth about it.

Rejoice, No hell, only love and connection with all there is. There's no mistakes..You get there.
you confuse me....are you not or for god? i could care less if he's real or not....this idea could mean less to me.....tell me the truth then......you seem like you've been told the truth so tell me......i would believe you that there is a god but life experiences have lead me to believe otherwise...

debbiejo
I've lived more years than you believing that we should follow the rules. And then I thought OK which rules....The more I studied the more I realized the true facts as seen by me. God is bigger then a book, a denomination and a scare tactic...But still God is...He really is. I hear from him all around me....That's the problem, people aren't listening. I've explained it before on other threads. He/it is open to all of us....I just love it...

mr.smiley
oh definetly i'm going to use it all the time! giving you credit of coarse!

cool! smile wink big grin

mr.smiley
I've lived more years than you believing that we should follow the rules. And then I thought OK which rules....The more I studied the more I realized the true facts as seen by me. God is bigger then a book, a denomination and a scare tactic...But still God is...He really is. I hear from him all around me....That's the problem, people aren't listening. I've explained it before on other threads. He/it is open to all of us....I just love it...

I think some people have that moment in their life,call it what you want,but you just have a feeling of absolute certainty.I remember having that feeling and ever sense, it's almost more like I know their's a God instead of just beliving it.

gp christ loves
here try this if you say that this isn't true and you turn out to be wrong your screwed but if you say that god is true and turn out to be wrong it doesn't matter

mr.smiley
Yeah,but people of other religons belive in God.Are you saying their screwed too just because they have differences than you in God?
Not to mention,you might belive in God,but someone from another religon will claim you are going to hell because you don't belive in the "true" God.In turn,you will say the same.According to everybody,everyone else is screwed.

finti
who cares heaven sounds like a drag anyway

debbiejo
That's the thing...EVERYBODY is pointing their fingers and saying YOUR SCREWED.

finti
heavens loss not mine

debbiejo
I don't think it's a lala land with harps though...I think IT'S ABSOLUTE POWER.....I want some.

finti
it is la la land with harps, no party in heaven there they pray every hour, on the hour. Read extracts from the bible and look solemn with what look like a bunch of manic depressives

debbiejo
laughing

No....that's the other place...

PrinceofBlades
it is la la land with harps, no party in heaven there they pray every hour, on the hour. Read extracts from the bible and look solemn with what look like a bunch of manic depressives

How would you know. Have you ever died and checked it out? Think of something awsome that you like and mutliply it by infinity, and that's how it feels to go to heaven...

debbiejo
Like POWER....

gp christ loves
read the ook of revolation heaven aint no la la land its a place you cant even guess what it is like

debbiejo
You mean Revelation the last book in the Bible?

mr.smiley
Originally posted by PrinceofBlades
How would you know. Have you ever died and checked it out? Think of something awsome that you like and mutliply it by infinity, and that's how it feels to go to heaven...

The Book of Watchers describes Heaven rather well.

gp christ loves
yah thanks for the correction debb i was in a hurry when i wrote that

debbiejo
What does it say???

gp christ loves
i cant find the verses in revelation where it describes heaven but it talkes about streets of gold and gates of pearel if thats not the most gorgiousa place ive ever heared of i don't know what is

PrinceofBlades
I here God's crib is nice. MTV couldn't check it out because the mountain was too steep for them...

AdventChild

The question is..HOW WOULD YOU KNOW?...HAVE YOU EVER DIED AND CHECKED IT OUT?.... how do you know it's going to feel better....like i've said over and over and over again...God is an idea, followed by idiots, and grown into power..and eventually will die...evolution will always exist...and therefore there will always be humans...we adapt learn and move on more quickly than anything on this earth........Screw heaven and screw hell..none of it's worth it anyway...life is worth living even after you have nothing....

AdventChild
here try this if you say that this isn't true and you turn out to be wrong your screwed but if you say that god is true and turn out to be wrong it doesn't matter

it doesn't matter huh.....so waste your whole entire life in question! NO! i don't think so ...i'm going to live my life the way i want, how i want, to the fullest, because we are only given one life to live....we best not waste it...and to religious people.....I'm going to hell cause i don't believe in God....thats a load of crap...even though i help those in need, give charity, help the homeless, and live life positivly.. you're going to tell me that i'm goin to hell when there are some people claiming to be christians who don't give 1/100 of what i give to charity, 1/100 onto what i give to the homeless, 1/100 onto what i give to those in need...so you are going to tell me that i'm going to hell cause i choose not to worship some man's idea....a GOD...and here's a so called christian who has never help a person in need, never gave anything help to the homeless, once a murderer, theif, and had three divorces, and yet he prays for forgivness and still gets to go to heaven...I'm not buying it...sorry but i'm not following the crowd....

PrinceofBlades
The question is..HOW WOULD YOU KNOW?...HAVE YOU EVER DIED AND CHECKED IT OUT?.... how do you know it's going to feel better....like i've said over and over and over again...God is an idea, followed by idiots, and grown into power..and eventually will die...evolution will always exist...and therefore there will always be humans...we adapt learn and move on more quickly than anything on this earth........Screw heaven and screw hell..none of it's worth it anyway...life is worth living even after you have nothing....

Evolution is also a think created by the same "idiots". Why believe something that has never been seen. Evolution is a lot like God. It's never been seen, never been proven, can only be speculated, and believed to be true. So why believe in something you know created by humans, than something that you might have to believe a second time, to know it wasn't created but was always there.

PrinceofBlades
it doesn't matter huh.....so waste your whole entire life in question! NO! i don't think so ...i'm going to live my life the way i want, how i want, to the fullest, because we are only given one life to live....we best not waste it...and to religious people.....I'm going to hell cause i don't believe in God....thats a load of crap...even though i help those in need, give charity, help the homeless, and live life positivly.. you're going to tell me that i'm goin to hell when there are some people claiming to be christians who don't give 1/100 of what i give to charity, 1/100 onto what i give to the homeless, 1/100 onto what i give to those in need...so you are going to tell me that i'm going to hell cause i choose not to worship some man's idea....a GOD...and here's a so called christian who has never help a person in need, never gave anything help to the homeless, once a murderer, theif, and had three divorces, and yet he prays for forgivness and still gets to go to heaven...I'm not buying it...sorry but i'm not following the crowd....

You are given a very nice car(car of your choice). If, by that theory that you are living by, would you trash it knowing that that car is the only one you'll ever get?

AdventChild
...No and you bring up a valid point...but as i've said i'm going to live my life to the fullest...as in that i don't mean recklessly...as in i don't want to live my life in "What if's" what if i would have done that maybe he would have asked me out...or what if i told him i loved him..maybe he would have proposed to me...i mean don't live your life in question is what i mean to the fullest...

finti
I can talk with the dead

how the book of revalation describes it is exactly how I picture la la land

that much is true, yet at least they try to put forth evidence to back up the thought/belief evolution though

debbiejo
I can talk with the dead

You hearing voices?

blink

finti
its the dark side of me

PrinceofBlades
...No and you bring up a valid point...but as i've said i'm going to live my life to the fullest...as in that i don't mean recklessly...as in i don't want to live my life in "What if's" what if i would have done that maybe he would have asked me out...or what if i told him i loved him..maybe he would have proposed to me...i mean don't live your life in question is what i mean to the fullest...

"What ifs" are also needed. What if this occurs...than I must do this...and if this....than this is plan B. I am 100% with you on living life to the fullest, but sometimes, living life to the fullest, is sometimes sitting and waiting. Watching and listening...

PrinceofBlades
that much is true, yet at least they try to put forth evidence to back up the thought/belief evolution though

As are we, we just are doing it a "different" way...

debbiejo
its the dark side of me

The dark side...the fires of hell will be licking your body..

PrinceofBlades
no pun intended.

debbiejo
, we just are doing it a "different" way...

How many ways are there?

AdventChild
Evolution is also a think created by the same "idiots". Why believe something that has never been seen. Evolution is a lot like God. It's never been seen, never been proven, can only be speculated, and believed to be true. So why believe in something you know created by humans, than something that you might have to believe a second time, to know it wasn't created but was always there.

we as humans are here aren't we...isn't that enough evidence for you?..... i have a much better time believing that i came from an ape rather than i came from dust or dirt or whatever the bible says....At least like finiti said....at least scientist try to have evidence to back up what they say........

AdventChild
As are we, we just are doing it a "different" way...
and how's that..?...believing what a man wrote down and taking it literally?...well you go ahead and do that...I'll go and take the Karma Sutra literally and we'll all be happy..You have your book you worship and i have mine....Have fun as will i....I mean it's humanly possible to do everything in the bible as in the Karma sutra..Right?....
Well give me what ya think prince...I'm have a fabulous time discussing this with you...it gives me a different point of view of a mature person that will listen and take the time to read what i have to say.....Thanks...

debbiejo
But there is an intelligence ...Scientists more and more are agreeing that there is an intelligence behind everything, including the paranormal.

fruits
i am christian, catholic to tell ya the truth, but i do agree that in some spots the bible DOES contradict itself, but like, with the commandments when it says thou shal not steal, then it says something about stealing, its not saying hey! its perfectly fine to steal. no problemo, its saying more of the stealing for the cause of good kinda thing. like robin hood. but i do agree that the bible does contradict itself, but how cannot with so many different authors.

debbiejo
The Bible does have some truths in it, but many other stories were peiced together by the early church (Roman). It was for powers sake..Power to control the people.

AdventChild
Originally posted by fruits
i am christian, catholic to tell ya the truth, but i do agree that in some spots the bible DOES contradict itself, but like, with the commandments when it says thou shal not steal, then it says something about stealing, its not saying hey! its perfectly fine to steal. no problemo, its saying more of the stealing for the cause of good kinda thing. like robin hood. but i do agree that the bible does contradict itself, but how cannot with so many different authors.

Robin Hood was a crook....He took money away from the rich to give to the poor....any one can be rich if they manage their money correctly....Robin hood stole from others to give to others...the poor caused the poor to become more poor.....remeber that quote...you'll see what i mean later in life...

fruits
while you may think that there is absolutely no way you can prove it. and i know there is no way i can prove that it is not true, but im just saying until we die and see what's there, nothing is certain

AdventChild
while you may think that there is absolutely no way you can prove it. and i know there is no way i can prove that it is not true, but im just saying until we die and see what's there, nothing is certain

oh wow you're going on my cool list!

fruits
YES!

debbiejo
Every time someone new comes on to chat about their misguided belief, I really do feel so bad..They are so nice but have no idea. No clue. It kills me.

AdventChild
does that include me?.... i really hope not........

fruits
no clue about what? reality? what (according to what you believe) is the truth, yet you cannot prove this. i have an idea. im not so dumb. ive had my doubts just as much as the next person. ive had my nights were i sit up and cry, cuz i dont know if there is a heaven and i dont know what will happen to me when i die. but those are just some nights. and its hard, trust me. my girlfriend doesnt believe in god. thats a challenge. and im trying not be snappy, but if you could not refer to my religion as a "misguided belief" please. i have never said nething bad about what you believe

debbiejo
Advent I wasn't thinking of you...Though I really do believe there is a god...It's a god that won't turn you away because you aren't perfect. What would be so godly about that...And to me it doesn't really matter if you believe or not....Your spirit goes back to god where it came from...

debbiejo
no clue about what? reality? what (according to what you believe) is the truth, yet you cannot prove this. i have an idea. im not so dumb. ive had my doubts just as much as the next person. ive had my nights were i sit up and cry, cuz i dont know if there is a heaven and i dont know what will happen to me when i die. but those are just some nights. and its hard, trust me. my girlfriend doesnt believe in god. thats a challenge. and im trying not be snappy, but if you could not refer to my religion as a "misguided belief" please. i have never said nething bad about what you believe

You are welcome to believe what ever you want...It just breaks my heart.

fruits
so do you believe in heaven? what exactly is your official religion?

AdventChild

i don't think she was directing it towards you...but yea it's her opinion.. and ur if ur girlfriend doesn't believe in god try influencing her if you love her...that's what i would do....or like for you to do to me if you were my boyfriend and we were in love...

debbiejo
so do you believe in heaven? what exactly is your official religion? I used to be a Christian...Then I found out some things..

I would of died for my faith at one time.

fruits
yeah, like my mom always tells me, if god came down right now, wouldnt you want her to come with us? its hard, ive had her come to church but she just doesnt believe. shes not atheist though, which is good. shes agnostic, so its more of a doubt about it. but she does have some bad morales that are hard for me to handle.

fruits
I used to be a Christian...Then I found out some things..

I would of died for my faith at one time.
wow, thats faithful. what things did you find out? you dont have to tell me, im just curious

debbiejo
wow, thats faithful. what things did you find out? you dont have to tell me, im just curious

I found out that the Holy Roman Church manipulated which writings were to be included in the cannon of scripture..There were over 100 different writings..I found out why they did it and I found out why they picked the ones the did include...I found out that their is no hell...It was a control tactic used by the church to gain power and money..And that Jesus when talking about such things was referring to his own time, but there are threads about that with links.

fruits
so you don't believe in hell, do you believe in heaven?

debbiejo
I believe we all return to God because we all came from God..What that is would be interesting to find out...There are many who have had near death experiences that give us glimpses of what is there, and they aren't all Christians.

fruits
yeah, ive never really heard a full account from someone like that, but i get it.

and i also have my doubts about hell, because if everthing the bible says is true, then why would satan torture the people god sends down to him in hell? that would just be doing what god wants. if their was a hell, i would think satan would form an army and try to overrule god and all heaven. but hey! what do i know. i DO believe their is a satan however, and that is why we are tempted to sin.

debbiejo
yeah, ive never really heard a full account from someone like that, but i get it.

and i also have my doubts about hell, because if everthing the bible says is true, then why would satan torture the people god sends down to him in hell? that would just be doing what god wants. if their was a hell, i would think satan would form an army and try to overrule god and all heaven. but hey! what do i know. i DO believe their is a satan however, and that is why we are tempted to sin.

Well the torturing people in hell is not even in the Bible at all...That was made up..

fruits
yeah, im just going witht the basic thoughts of the christian community

debbiejo
OK....I agree, many people really do believe that! I've always wondered where this "Hell" is. When I was a kid I believed it was in the center of the earth.. laughing out loud

fruits
yeah, i always thought it was underground, but you gotta think about it, where's heaven? its not like its a physical place where you can get to by plane or something, its like a state of being. i think if hell exists its like thi stoo

fruits
sry, double post

debbiejo
yeah, i always thought it was underground, but you gotta think about it, where's heaven? its not like its a physical place where you can get to by plane or something, its like a state of being. i think if hell exists its like thi stoo

Well everyone sees a white light...Though I hear that Jews see a blue light..not sure why...I've read that because of our confusion down here that we are kinda gently provided what ever we expect to see, just as the Buddhist see something different from what we see. Heaven could possible another dimension. That would explain some paranormal things. things being in dimensions.

fruits
that mkes sense. another dimension. because they exist. but then you never know, hell could be anotheer dimension as well

debbiejo
That wouldn't make sense for Hell, because the Bible says there is no place where God is not, so God would also have to be in hell.

mr.smiley
I found out that the Holy Roman Church manipulated which writings were to be included in the cannon of scripture..There were over 100 different writings..I found out why they did it and I found out why they picked the ones the did include...I found out that their is no hell...It was a control tactic used by the church to gain power and money..And that Jesus when talking about such things was referring to his own time, but there are threads about that with links.

Sad but true.

mr.smiley
yeah, im just going witht the basic thoughts of the christian community

Most of the Christian communities idea of hell comes from Dantes Inferno and Paradise Lost.

debbiejo
And in the 19th century. Johnathan Edwards sermon "In the hands of an angry God."

markie
The bible doesn't contradict itself as much as people think it does. Peoples interpretations of the bible contradict themselves all over the place but they'll stick to their own private interpretation. I think people contradict themselves the bible doesn't.

finti
the bible do contradict itself

markie
I believe we all return to God because we all came from God..What that is would be interesting to find out...There are many who have had near death experiences that give us glimpses of what is there, and they aren't all Christians. I think you've been watching too much star trek.

finti
guess Trekkies and christians have things in common then

mr.smiley
Actualy it would be more like star wars and a lot of wiccans have the same belife.

debbiejo
Originally posted by markie
I think you've been watching too much star trek.

It's true.....People see what ever their preconceived minds let them see....I think It's to make the next dimension/afterlife easier to assimilate....until you finally get it....I think we are all parts of the Creator...and we create, especially after we shed this skin that's holding us back.....Life is only an experience we've chosen.....It's not what's really real...It's just a short time....people forget that...they think this is real...and the after life is not....

They forget that a seed doesn't become a tree overnight...It's a struggle....they curse the experience of it instead seeing that they are now A MIGHT OAK......This is what life is made of...

markie
It's true.....People see what ever their preconceived minds let them see....I think It's to make the next dimension/afterlife easier to assimilate....until you finally get it....I think we are all parts of the Creator...and we create, especially after we shed this skin that's holding us back.....Life is only an experience we've chosen.....It's not what's really real...It's just a short time....people forget that...they think this is real...and the after life is not....

They forget that a seed doesn't become a tree overnight...It's a struggle....they curse the experience of it instead seeing that they are now A MIGHT OAK......This is what life is made of... Resistence is futile, you will be assimilated. Actually there are some biblicalprinciples in star trek. Live long and prosper. Maybe God is the colective.what is the collective?

finti
Star Trek sick

debbiejo
Originally posted by markie
Resistence is futile, you will be assimilated. Actually there are some biblicalprinciples in star trek. Live long and prosper. Maybe God is the colective.what is the collective?

Hmmmm.....part of the collective......kinda cool

Shakyamunison
Contradictions in the bible

The bible is filled with contradictions, here are a few.

War or Peace?
EXO 15:3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.
ROM 15:33 Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen.

Is Jesus equal to or lesser than?
JOH 10:30 I and my Father are one.
JOH 14:28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

Here is the site I got the information from.
http://www.infidels.org/library/mod...radictions.html

Please read and discuss.

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by Shakyamunison

War or Peace?

JOH 14:28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

Here is the site I got the information from.
http://www.infidels.org/library/mod...radictions.html

Please read and discuss.

Yes, I found that link a while ago, and pasted a couple of the contradictory quotes....I have a Christian debator blatantly tell me that there was no contradiction, even when there was....

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Lord Urizen
Yes, I found that link a while ago, and pasted a couple of the contradictory quotes....I have a Christian debator blatantly tell me that there was no contradiction, even when there was....

I found it by accident, and just had to post it.

Storm
In a set of texts, written and collected over several thousand years, errors, mistakes, and contradictions are only to be expected.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Storm
In a set of texts, written and collected over several thousand years, errors, mistakes, and contradictions are only to be expected.

The problem is not that the bible has contradictions, but that people claim that the bible is perfect in all ways.

Regret

War or Peace?

What is a man of war? What does that mean? These verses are not in contradiction unless one does not read the context of the verse in Exodus. This verse is a portion of a song that the Israelites created to praise God immediately following the Red Sea closing over the army of the Pharaoh, it is not God speaking, it is the Israelites speaking. The verse from Exodus is accurate for what is being described by the Israelites, it is not an absolute and probably should not be taken as referring to God in all situations. Also, if God is the God of everything, then he is the God of war when there is war, he is the God of peace in time of peace. Again there is not contradiction.

"War's a game, which, were their subjects wise, Kings would not play at."~William Cowper

If they are one in the sense that they are separate manifestations of the same entity, then these contradict. If, on the other hand, they are one in purpose and intent, then these verses do not contradict. The term one is a problem for Trinitarian doctrine. Here are some other verses that refer to being "one":

So is man God, in the same sense that Christ is God?

Were the people of Babel one individual manifested a number of times building the tower?

The use of the term one is the same in all of these verses. The only reason it is interpreted as one in being is due to the fact that Christ says it in description of his relationship to the father, not due to any language or translation rationale. A meaning was created to rationalize a belief with no real support.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Regret
What is a man of war? What does that mean? These verses are not in contradiction unless one does not read the context of the verse in Exodus. This verse is a portion of a song that the Israelites created to praise God immediately following the Red Sea closing over the army of the Pharaoh, it is not God speaking, it is the Israelites speaking. The verse from Exodus is accurate for what is being described by the Israelites, it is not an absolute and probably should not be taken as referring to God in all situations. Also, if God is the God of everything, then he is the God of war when there is war, he is the God of peace in time of peace. Again there is not contradiction.

"War's a game, which, were their subjects wise, Kings would not play at."~William Cowper

If they are one in the sense that they are separate manifestations of the same entity, then these contradict. If, on the other hand, they are one in purpose and intent, then these verses do not contradict. The term one is a problem for Trinitarian doctrine. Here are some other verses that refer to being "one":

So is man God, in the same sense that Christ is God?

Were the people of Babel one individual manifested a number of times building the tower?

The use of the term one is the same in all of these verses. The only reason it is interpreted as one in being is due to the fact that Christ says it in description of his relationship to the father, not due to any language or translation rationale. A meaning was created to rationalize a belief with no real support.

Most of these contradictions are only contradictions if you take the bible literally without considering problems with translations and what was meant by the original writers.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>