? about ROTJ

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

juggernaut74
When Palpatine was trying to lure Luke to the dark side he was telling him to take his Jedi weapon and strike me down with it and your journey to the dark side will be complete.

Well when Luke grabbed it and was going to kill Palpatine Vader stopped him. Why did Vader stop Luke from killing Palpatine?

Was Vader actually trying to help Palpatine or to save Luke from turning to the darkside?

Jayd265
wow, good question. i would think save luke from turning but i dunno

gentmax
Well, we know that Palpatine had a major in psychologic manipulation, and he knew that Vader would protect him, so I believe Palps was just feeding the anger and hate, thinking that Luke only needed just to take a few steps toward the dark side, and he would be totally turned. As we know, though, Luke may not be as powerful as Vader, he did have a ton more discipline, and so the emperor ultimately failed.

mossman
You don't understand, Vader must obey his master...

Mr Parker
Hmmmm are you sure that was in the movie? never noticed that.I just always assumed that Luke decided to do the right thin in not strike him down knowing he would be seduced. confused

Thornbane
Vader was clearly protecting his "master"

He had conflict in him, but it wasn't until seeing his whine like a wuss that he committed his selfless act.

DeVi| D0do
Vader needed Palpatine if he was to turn Luke to the Dark Side...

Palpatine: "Only together can we turn him..."

Sith Follower
It is odd.... Ya see, Palpatine wanted Luke to rplace Vader and Vader wanted Luke so they could destroy Palpatine. The whole thing makes no sense.

cal31
I was also wondering, where was Luke hiding during the part where Vader discovers that Luke has a twin sister? I mean they show Vader walking around looking for him, then all of a sudden Luke is right out in the open, seemingly coming from nowhere.

yerssot
I thought he was near the staires, though never payed much detail to it

ccoo
Palpatine is very calculating, and until Vader threw him to his death he was always right. Remember Luke said, "Your overconfidence is your weakness!"

Throughout The Star Wars Saga, Palpatine would always say, "Everything is proceeding as I planned" He would bait Anakin in the prequels, and knew in the end Anakin would turn. He thought he could turn Luke in ROTJ, and if he didn't, Vader would have his back. Everything went as planned until Vader finally killed him to save his son. In the end Luke was right.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.