Why does Darth deflect Luke killing Palp in ROTJ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Stacks
The scene where the Emperor is talking trash to Luke.. Luke gets pissed off at the Emporer, and takes a swing at him with his light saber. Vader deflects it, and then the fight continues between Darth and Luke...

We know for quite some time that Darth wanted Luke to join him so they can over take the Emporer so they can rule themselves... In that case, shouldn't Vader have let Luke try to take a hack at Palp?

Instead Darth engages in a fight with Luke, which then gives the Emperor a chance to pursuade Luke to kill Darth... and take HIS place! Why would Darth want to put himself in that position to get his arm cut off, killed, let Luke take his place, and allow the emperor to continue to live?

Fishy
Because if Luke killed the Emperer then it might not have been enough and Vader was probably scared, maybe Sidious could have avoided it and then just have killed Vader..

Okay I'm not really sure

Stacks
i'll try to answer my own question, but maybe some one knows for sure....

when luke swings at palp, he is not yet convinced to turn over to the darkside.. in order for darth to take over - he needs luke to kill palp with the intention of turning over to the darkside... but luke is trying to destroy with intention of saving the rebels and is still using the good side of the force... so darth will still palp as long as luke remains on the goodside....

does this sound right?

Stacks
Originally posted by Stacks
so darth will still palp as long as luke remains on the goodside....

correction- so darth will still PROTECT palp as long as luke remains on the good side..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.