The Watchers vs. The Celestials

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

seaapple
Ok, I know how powerful the Celestials are. But before you jump onboard to defend the nearly unparalleled power of the Celestials bear with me. I think it may not be completely clear how powerful the Watchers are, especially since they don't choose to take action usually. Please recall though that the ancient Watchers also used to meddle in the affairs of lesser mortals as did the grand cosmic behemoths known as the Celestials. Only the Watchers experienced tragedy and decided to remove themselves from taking action in the affairs of others. A Watcher was there to witness Galactus incubating in his cocoon and had the chance to destroy him.

Imagine that the inscrutible Celestials turn they attention toward the Watchers, but the Watchers rebel. Who wins this conflict?
http://www.antaninet.it/marvel-universe/u/uatu.jpg http://www.norse-man.net/Marvel/Char-C/Celestial-Host.jpg

kgkg
Originally posted by seaapple
Ok, I know how powerful the Celestials are. But before you jump onboard to defend the nearly unparalleled power of the Celestials bear with me. I think it may not be completely clear how powerful the Watchers are, especially since they don't choose to take action usually. Please recall though that the ancient Watchers also used to meddle in the affairs of lesser mortals as did the grand cosmic behemoths known as the Celestials. Only the Watchers experienced tragedy and decided to remove themselves from taking action in the affairs of others. A Watcher was there to witness Galactus incubating in his cocoon and had the chance to destroy him.

Imagine that the inscrutible Celestials turn they attention toward the Watchers, but the Watchers rebel. Who wins this conflict?
http://www.antaninet.it/marvel-universe/u/uatu.jpg http://www.norse-man.net/Marvel/Char-C/Celestial-Host.jpg
The Celestials wins

seaapple
No other opinions? Look up a little on how advanced the Watchers are. I think they might not win a war of aggression with the more assertive (understatement) Celestials, but I think that if threatened they would use their advanced mental capacities and defend themselves victoriously.

whirlysplat
Proctor took a watcher prisoner and used him as a power source. I do not think this could happen to a Celestial.
big grin

seaapple
Sounds unpleasant for the Watcher! But on the other hand, in Fantastic Four #400 I read that Sue Richards cracked a hole in the Celestial Exitar and walked around in his braincase. I do not think that this could happen to a Watcher wink .

I read that one of the Watchers battles a Celestial (Exitar) in Fantastic Four #398. I have not read that comic though. I wonder if it was a good fight. If it was at least a reasonable fight it shows that the Watchers are about on the same level. Anyone have that issue?

From Marvel Directory.com:

"The Watchers are a vastly powerful, ancient extraterrestrial race who untold eons ago undertook the task of passively observing the phenomena of the universe. Their homeworld is an unnamed world in an unknown solar system in another galaxy than the Milky Way which is covered with lush vegetation and bears no artifacts of habitation. None of the Watchers live on their homeworld anymore, having taken up permanent residence somewhere within the solar systems they have elected to observe. On the rare occasions that the Watchers convene on their homeworld, they use their advanced technology to create temporary dwellings which they disassemble after use. It is improbable that the planet the Watchers call their homeworld is their planet of origin. If it were, the age of the race would be relatively brief, a fraction of the lifespan of a single solar system still in the main sequence of its existence. Because the Watchers are scattered across the universe, it is impossible to calculate how many of them there are.

Each Watcher possesses vast mental, physical, and energy-manipulating powers. Watchers are telepathic, able to scan the mind of virtually every known form of sentient life and to project their thoughts into any brain. Watchers can alter their appearance at will, assuming any guise they so choose. This is apparently a mental/psionic capacity, and not a physical shape-shifting ability like that of the alien Skrulls. Watchers can convert their bodies into some form of energy in order to "teleport" through space at hyper-light speeds. (It is probably that they traverse warp space to do so.) Watchers can also psionically manipulate energy in the electromagnetic spectrum. The limits of this capacity are not known: it is probably on the same basic level as such Earth gods as Odin and Zeus or such alien races as the Elan. Watchers are seemingly immortal (although degrees of maturity are evident), having bolstered the limits of their life forces with "delta-rays." Presumably an explosion that dispersed all of their bodily molecules thousands of miles would prove fatal. ...

...Other then Uatu, only a few other Watchers are known by name. There is Ecce, the Watcher who witnessed the incubation and hatching of Galactus, and had the opportunity to destroy the future world-eater but did not act upon it. There is Ikor, father of Uatu, the Watcher who proposed the Prosilicus experiment and in penance drafted what became the Watchers' code of ethics. There is Emnu, leader of the Watchers' former world council (now called the High Tribunal), who had opposed the Prosilicus experiment and is now the supreme authority on the rare cases where violations of the Watchers' oaths are brought to trial. Finally, there is Aron, a young Watcher who has not yet been assigned a solar system to observe."

whirlysplat
You have a point thor also has been inside a celestials head. I have not read that issue as I am very out of touch with the FF, does ewnybody know if its in tpb?

Zahit
If it's a fight, I say the Celestials win.
if it's a soccer/football match, I'd give it to those wily Watchers.

seaapple
I sort of wonder if the Celestials and Watchers are meant to be opposites in terms of: advanced race that intervenes to a fault vs. advanced race that refuses to act to a fault. The dichotomy has me thinking they are evenly matched as peoples. It is just speculation though.

(p.s. I'll grant that the Celestials would win at basketball for sure).

whirlysplat
But I think the Celestials were purely created as a plot device in the Eternals. The Watchers originally a plot device to heighten the tension in the FF before Galactus arrived. Although they have I think developed into opposites.

I sort of wonder if the Celestials and Watchers are meant to be opposites in terms of: advanced race that intervenes to a fault vs. advanced race that refuses to act to a fault. The dichotomy has me thinking they are evenly matched as peoples. It is just speculation though.

Zahit
No Doubt.
Arishem The Judge got mad game.....

8bitChris
Haha, at least I thought those pics were funny Zahit.

whirlysplat
Yes they were funny Zahit

Zahit
American Football however.....

seaapple
Yes they are funny smile

You need to make one for bowling where Living Tribunal uses his floating head as the ball.

seaapple
Thanks for your input Whirlysplat. I know about the Celestials mostly from second hand knoweldge, but I have been reading a lot about them on the web. I know about Galactus and the Watchers because I am into Silver Surfer comics. So it is good that you are bringing in more knowedge of the Celestials. I like these cosmic storylines when done well with beings like these...and then races like the Eternals, or groups like the Elders. The only problem is that these entities aren't always given proper respect by writers and they lose some of that mystique.

Wynndar
Yea there is a battle between the Celestials and the Watchers that occurs in FF#398-400. However, though it appears it required the full power of the Celestials to take the race of Watchers...it seemed that the Watchers were so attatched to their oath of non-interference that they werent even fighting back. Therefor, only two Watchers took action, Uatu and Aron. Uatu requested the help of the FF and Aron tried to stop them. In the end Sue Storm was able to shatter a hole in Exitars head and enter. She appeared to destroy Exitar and the Celestials left and the battle ended. Im not sure if Exitar has come back since.

In my opinion a single celestial is certainly more powerful than a watcher but the combined power of the race of watchers is equal to the combined power of the celestials...I would also place an individual watcher over the power and intellect of a sky father

Xplosive
I doubt they could defeat Celestails.

Zahit
Now if this were a bowling match.......

seaapple
Nice comments Wynndar! I think that is a fair assessment.

And Zahit. Your cosmic sports collection is *awesome*. Very amusing posts -- quick turnaround on LT. That one is great!

Wynndar
Glad I could help...Its not so much my opinion that they r equal...its more like they were portrayed as equals in an actual battle...FF#398-400 read them, they r good.

whirlysplat
smile

Originally posted by Wynndar
Glad I could help...Its not so much my opinion that they r equal...its more like they were portrayed as equals in an actual battle...FF#398-400 read them, they r good.

Wynndar
tpb?...and why is my name so hard to spell?

whirlysplat
Sorry Wynndar (better) smile

tpb?...and why is my name so hard to spell?

Wynndar
oh yea...u could easily get ahold of them at milehighcomics.com

whirlysplat
Thanks mate big grin

seaapple
Cool, I'll look for them too. I like FF/cosmic storylines (e.g. Silver Surfer).

Mider
The Watchers and Celestials had a war didnt They i dont remeber what happend though maybe one of you knows?

Wynndar
go to page one

Xplosive
Yea there is a battle between the Celestials and the Watchers that occurs in FF#398-400. However, though it appears it required the full power of the Celestials to take the race of Watchers...it seemed that the Watchers were so attatched to their oath of non-interference that they werent even fighting back. Therefor, only two Watchers took action, Uatu and Aron. Uatu requested the help of the FF and Aron tried to stop them. In the end Sue Storm was able to shatter a hole in Exitars head and enter. She appeared to destroy Exitar and the Celestials left and the battle ended. Im not sure if Exitar has come back since.

In my opinion a single celestial is certainly more powerful than a watcher but the combined power of the race of watchers is equal to the combined power of the celestials...I would also place an individual watcher over the power and intellect of a sky father

That was that story, I remember Sue giving hole to Existar (which I also remember almost everyone were saying that was bad writing), but I didn't know it was that story (didn't remember at all and I didn't know Celestail wanted to take Watchers down). Than it seem Wacthers could take Celestails down.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.