Form XIII?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Jello
Alright, was anyone else completely weirded out by Sidious' Saber style? It seemed like something unique to the Sith that the Jedi wouldn't have done.

In terms of acrobatics it seemed like Form IV (Yoda's style) but in terms of fight stance seemed like a bizarre, two-handed combination of Kendo and Eppe (more emphasis on stabbing/poking than on slashing).
This makes his style incredibly lethal in close range, especially against any of the forms involving lot's of slashing like Dooku's Form II. Mace was able to beat him because he kept his distance and disarmed him with a lot of broad heavy strokes (a signiature of form VII), and Yoda was able to keep him at bay simply because of his fast movements and acrobatics.

DeVi| D0do
say what? blink

Robin Darkside
Yes, I though Palpatines style was quite unique and cool for that matter. He killed 3 jedi in a matter of seconds. I thought it suited a sith like him just fine

Darth Jello
It would probably be pretty damn useless for deflecting blaster bolts though

Robin Darkside
He uses different forms, he looked to be using a different one when dueling with Yoda

Altar[1stONE]
i wouldnt say he used a specific form, but he did have an awesome style. I still dont believe in the 7 forms thing, its all coreographed by nick gallard to make our jaws drop. I mean look at all those jedi in the arena in episode 2 , they all had their unique style. but if you insist on labeling it as a form, yea maybe he did use this so called form VIII.

DeVi| D0do
Where does all this 'Form' stuff come from? Am I missing something?

I didn't like Palpatines jumps during the Mace duel... they were unneccessary.

Darth Jello
each form is a different combination of acrobatics (usually Ninjutsu type stuff) and about six different forms of fencing (Kendo, Kenjitsu, Iado, Eppe, Foil, and Sabre).

DeVi| D0do
ahh, k... but where does it come from? Is it an EU thing?

Darth Lego
the jumping just looked freaky, you know, sith-like.

Robin Darkside
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
ahh, k... but where does it come from? Is it an EU thing?

forms are forms, its just a certain technique of lightsaber fighting. If everyone had the same form, then all duels would be the same, just end at different times

DeVi| D0do
ok, so what classifies a form? What's different between form XIII and form VI?

I agree with what Altar said... it's all just choreographed by Nick to look cool.

Darth Jello
there are 6 forms of sabre combat, with a seventh and most lethal one being invented by mace windu

redux
Yeah what was the name of it again? Something about some animal that has lots of arms...but that's from Shatterpoint I think.

Robin Darkside
Are they the same lightsaber forms as in KOTOR 2 video game?

Mist
you guys have WAAAAY too much time on your hands.....who cares?

redux
Vaapad!

Man, that was bugging me

Robin Darkside
Originally posted by Mist
you guys have WAAAAY too much time on your hands.....who cares?

Lightsabers are cool, I care

Mist
lightsabers are cool...but going into detail of a saber form based on a few moves from the movie?

J-Unit
I just loved when Sidious battled with Yoda in the OT saberstyle....reminds me of Luke N Vader hahah

chilled monkey
Mist: It's FUN to discuss Forms in detail. Where's the fun in saying 'it's just a movie, who cares?'

There are 7 Forms (styles) of lightsabre combat. From the filmakers POV this is good because it means that different fights have different 'looks' to keep them interesting. The difference is in how moves and techniques are executed.

1- Basic swordfighting techniques
2- Fencing style.
3- Defensive style.
4- Acrobatic
5- Aggresive.
6- A 'catch-all' mixing 1, 3, 4 and 5
7- Aggresive and unorthodox.

Palpatine uses Form 6.

SixOfTwelve
Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that... yeah, he had a very strange kind of "stabbing upwards from below" sort of style going on.
Man, that DVD can't come early enough for me... I want my frame-by-frame, dammit!

Sesse
"Is is possible to get this movie faster?"
"Not from a store."

Robin Darkside
you get a bootleg version like most people
probably a workprint

SixOfTwelve
Saw it at a friend's place... Awful aspect ratio, and that damn timer... no thanks.

Robin Darkside
I saw a sample movie, it seemed ok, but the time digits at the top remained

Darth Jello
how i see it
I-pretty solidly based on Kendo
II-Sabre style without the footwork
III-mostly based on Kenjitsu
IV-a combination of Kenjitsu, Sabre, and some Iado as demonstrated by Qui-Gon
V-a combination of Kendo, Kenjitsu, Sabre, and Iado
VI-no comment
VII-Kenjitsu mostly
Palpatine's style-a combination of Kendo, Foil, and Eppe.

Ogami Itto
these "forms" come out of the ROTS visual dictionary!! is that not EU?? i mean has lucas ever mentioned them??

TheElectricFox
form 6 is "diplomats form" and aint that great when compared to the other forms. Palpy was using "Teras Kasi" same as all the other sith excluding dooku. He did swith forms though using II when he fought yoda and VII when he fought windu.

DenKi
What are you stupid people on about?

There arnt Styles that they choose. They just fight the way they were taught.

There is No stupid Form XIII, or nothing like that. Its all you stupid fanboys making stuff up.

Altar[1stONE]
yea sidious was probably using a better version of form II. Form II focuses on fencing, 1 on 1 mainly swordsmenship thats all. The sith dont bother with worrying about deflecting lasers , cause most of the gun men in sw work for them anyways. They spend years , training , their only purpose in wipeing out the jedi. So maul was anxiously waiting his first battle with 2 jedi. His life was built on this moment, and thats why he fought the way he did. Dooku had like 70 years of experience , and mastered his form II technique. A form for a more civilized age of the jedi, now completly efficient since jedi were his enemies. Sidious being the master sith, did pretty well with his sabering but he relied more on the offensive powers of the force. Probably to stay true to his style in rotj.

WindDancer
Originally posted by DenKi
What are you stupid people on about?

There arnt Styles that they choose. They just fight the way they were taught.

There is No stupid Form XIII, or nothing like that. Its all you stupid fanboys making stuff up.

Relax DenKi...no need to call any board members "stupid fanboys".

DenKi
I know, but whats all this Made up stuff??

Nothing of this was mentioned in the Books or the Movies why we talking about this as if its True?

Obi-wan2005
i thought he was great nothing wrong with his fighting style

Darth Bong
The fighting style and different forms sounds like something supershadow thought up. I have never heard the different forms talked about anywhere. smokin'

Darth Jello
they're from the technical books based on the movies and videogames and were first introduced in shatterpoint

Captain REX
Yup.

Nothing wrong with Palpatine's Form. It wouldn't be a form if it sucked, anyway. stick out tongue

And Teras Kasi is Jedi (or Sith) martial arts, for unarmed combat...mostly.

Darth Jello
it seems inefficient for blaster bolts, unless he switched forms in that situation. His fighting style is best for facing one or more opponents in close quarters.

Captain REX
There's a member on here who compiled all information he could on each form...I will go find the thread...

Gangularis
I read about the forms in the visual dictionary i do believe.

Captain REX
And...can't find it. I'll go hurt myself now. no expression

Captain REX
And oh...by the way...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightsaber_combat#Form_I:_Shii-Cho

Wikipedia rocks my socks!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.