NO non digital theatres!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Robin Darkside
I have watched Star Wars twice on the big digital screen (DTS), It was awesome. Yesterday I saw it again on the regular film screen, man was it crappy. I could barely hear what they're saying, or even hear a lightsaber, when compared to a digital screen. In my city they got 2 theatres and play it on 2 screens each. only one screen for each theatre was digital.

I strongly think that this movie should not be allowed to play on those regular screens. It totollay takes out what the movie is all about, visuals and sound is key to this film.

It was so bad I could hear the film projector clicking away. On the digital people could be talking behind you and you can barely hear them. The mood of the film is on a basis of how loud and great the sound is. I was upset walking out of the regular screen, and so so very happy to have watched the film for the first time on a great quality DTS screen.

If you haven't watched the film (though most people here did) Do not watch it on those cheap regular weak screens..

jon84
I agree with you, the film was meant to be seen in digital. I've seen it twice now and digital totally blow regular film out of the water...

BOYCOTT CELLULOID/FILM VERSION!!! unless you have no choice then by all means watch the film version, the movie still rocks but... rolling on floor laughing

Robin Darkside
yes, thank you,

please forgive my bitterness, But it makes me so mad that people do not experience the whole star wars effect where sound is so important. As I said it affects the mood of the movie. I doubt anyone in the regular screen had any feeling at all (Order 66, Padme, etc) during the film.

SithSpy
did anyone who's seen both versions notice any differences in content between the digital and celuloid versions?? interested to know if you have

Robin Darkside
Originally posted by SithSpy
did anyone who's seen both versions notice any differences in content between the digital and celuloid versions?? interested to know if you have

What do you mean by content? like what was in the movie?

jango fatt
Yeah?

Robin Darkside
It was the exact same movie, the celluloid just had horrible sound

ccoo
I interested in seeing the digital version. Is it true that they show Yoda going to Dagobah in that version, or is it the same as the projector version.

Robin Darkside
oh my god

Classic_Peach
The way of the digital is suppose to be cost saving because there is no film being delivered at the theater. So why wasn't the savings past on to the customer?

Delta 62
The normal and digital versions of Episode II were different in minor ways, and I hear it's the same with Episode III. What exactly are the changes to the digital EpIII?

SithSpy
Yeah thats what i was asking earlier, apparently the digital versions dont have to be finished untill just before the movie is released whereas the celluloid versions have to be out a few months before to be copied and cut, so some edits would be made/left in after the celluloid was put out

tlbauerle
This has been discussed before. I have seen both...and there are NO DIFFERENCES between DLP and Celluloid...I sent this into TF.N and they posted that as well.

However...Robin, you did not see this in DLP. You saw it with digital sound (DTS = Digital Theatrical Sound)...meaning the audio is on a CD in sync with the film. The picture is projected from celluloid.

Sadly though, you are right. The analog sound mix on the celluoid is terrible. Low levels on music and dialogue...terrible presentation.

hazkid
i understand...but i have to drive 3 hours to get to a digital theater.

LandoSpeeder2
It would take about 5 hours for me to get to he closest digital theater.

tlbauerle
Well worth the trip....if you are to see ANY film digital...this is it!!

Delta 62
I'm in Kansas, and as far as I know, there are NO digital theaters here.

LandoSpeeder2
Originally posted by tlbauerle
Well worth the trip....if you are to see ANY film digital...this is it!! I would, but I can't seem to find anyone willing to take me.

Classic_Peach
Originally posted by Classic_Peach
The way of the digital is suppose to be cost saving because there is no film being delivered at the theater. So why wasn't the savings past on to the customer?
I guess everyone here is to young to understand my question sad

SithSpy
no not to young i think you ? just got lost. The savings arent passed on b/c a theater is not going to alter their pricing structure for that one screen, also the film itself is cheaper but the projection equip is much much more expensive. Also let's be honest, the theater industry is the same group that charges 7.50 for .25 worth of popcorn, they are looking for ways to increase their revenue not decrease our cost

tlbauerle
Originally posted by Classic_Peach
I guess everyone here is to young to understand my question sad

No...you are too young for me to dignify that question with an answer.

But spy pretty much nailed it...

To elaborate...the digital projectors cost far, far more than normal 35mm projectors. It is EXTREMELY expensive to upgrade. I'm thankful they won't charge more.

macgeek2005
Can someone explain to me exactly what it means, that it's digital?

How can it change an image? It's the same movie isn't it?

I saw the movie. I heard everything everyone was saying. Nice loud speakers. I saw the image very clearly. It was a good picture.

What does it mean "Digital"?

tlbauerle
Okay...lets start with audio. Analog is akin to say cassette tape, and digital is CD. CDs are much clearer sounding and the quality does not degrade...unless you scatch the crap out of it.

In the theatre you have several sound options, and you'll see a trailer for one of these before the movie if your theatre is equipped. First is DTS (Digital Theatrical Sound) which runs off a cd synced to the movie. Second is Dolby Digital and SDDS (Sony Dynamic Digital Sound) both of which are encoded on the actual print. All these systems are identical, and if see EX that means it has an extra center rear channel. However, SDDS has more speakers behind the screen...instead of left/right/center/and sub...it has upper left/right, lower left/right, center, and sub. Kick ass.

Then there is analog sound which is annoyingly loud and full of static.

Don't be fooled by THX, as this relates to speaker placement, sound levels, and limited echo...recreating sound as it was designed for the film. This is NOT digital.

With picture, analog is tape like VHS and digital is DVD. The picture quality difference is amazing and again the image does not degrade. DLP (Digital Light Processors) is a projection system using a digital file (80gb for SITH), projected on screen. The result is no cigarette burns, sloppy reel changes, dirty prints, and lets not forget ugly chemical splices. Basically...all the sratches, black spots, etc you see on normal prints are gone. Crystal image...

But that's not all. When film (celluloid) is projected large, the picture gets fuzzy and grainy. This film grain is absent in DLP presentations. Usually some remains if the movie was filmed on celluloid and later transfered to digital, like THE PHANTOM MENACE.

CLONES and SITH were filmed digitally, meaning all film grain is gone.

Secondly, DLP allows for greater color subtlty to translate onto screen. The most subtle is the pink in the clouds during the "Obi-Wan and the council don't trust me" scene. The clouds are white on celluloid, but have pink highlights in DLP. The image quality is that much better.

Class dismissed.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.